Time formats

I am creating a template which requires the user enter a time (not
present time, flight times), for example the user will be listing a
number of flight arrivals and departures and what I want to do is have
the user simply enter something like 804p and have the cell display it
as 8:04 pm.  I have looked at some custom formats and nothing seems to
be able to do this. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Tracey

See

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Tracey" <Tracey.vt99m@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I am creating a template which requires the user enter a time (not
> present time, flight times), for example the user will be listing a
> number of flight arrivals and departures and what I want to do is have
> the user simply enter something like 804p and have the cell display it
> as 8:04 pm.  I have looked at some custom formats and nothing seems to
> be able to do this. Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks!
> Tracey

terre08 (1112)

Time stamp
When I close a document I would like to have the time it was saved at the top of the document. How is that done, please? JB You could use a savedate field eg { SaveDate \@ "HH:mm" } which will record the last time the document was saved when the document is next opened, but the field will not update automatically as you make saves to the document during the course of working - it will however fulfil the basic criterion of recording the time. Or you could intercept the FileSave command to add a document variable to the document and update it each time the doc...

custom number format #13
Hi, Is there a way (besides formatting as text), to have numbers show as in the following example? i.e., : 25 40.01 40.10 etc I can't seem to get the decimal point to disappear when I enter a number without one. TIA Jim Hi Jim, You could use a User-Defined Function to apply the formatting. The following does that for the range A1:A100: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) With ActiveSheet If Intersect(Target, .Range("A1:A100")) Is Nothing Then End With Target If Int(.Value) = .Value Then .NumberFormat = 0 If Int(.Value) <> .Value Then...

Run-time error '438'
I have a form with numerous subforms. Within the subform I am using a function to hightlight the field the user currently is in. This highlight on and off is hooked to the got focus and lost focus event on each field the user can tab to. On the main form I have a button to close the form. When I click to close I get this error. It points to the hightlight function. The hightlight function works great when I open each subform individually. It also works when used in the main form. It only errors when I use the close button. Can someone help me with this? I think it has t...

Cell formatting #8
This is a multipart message in MIME format. --=_alternative 0051FBC080256E20_= Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Hello. I am using Excel 2000 with Windows 2000. I have a spreadsheet that will not update any shading. The cells are not locked and the spreadsheet is not protected. When I try to change cell colour, the screen shows the change but a print preview or print hardcopy does not. I have copied the worksheet into another blank worksheet and the formatting works fine. Although I have a workaround I am curious as to why this is happening. Can anyone shed any light ...

Format docs from existing Files
Is there an easy way to use an existing document file to format a current file? I have some plain text files that I would like to match an existing document file. TIA Jim You can use the Organizer to copy styles from one document to another. To get to the Organizer, press Alt+F8 to open the Macros dialog and click the Organizer button. Once the styles have been copied to the plain text document, you need to apply the styles to the appropriate parts of the text. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; pl...

Conditional formatting: How to set condition "formula" with is "date" formatted
I want to use Conditional Formatting. I opt for "formula". The condition should be that a cell F9 that is formatted to Date 14-Mar-07 (see cell format) need to be filled with a date (any date). If empty then FALSE. What is the formulah I need to fill in. DATE(F9<>0) failed for me. This is the condition that is set for cell H9. Thank you. Bart Excel 2003 =AND(LEFT(CELL("format",F9),1)="D",--RIGHT(CELL("format",F9),1)<6,LEN(CELL("format",F9))=2,LEN(F9)>0) -- --- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere sho...

Importing invoices
Hi, I was wondering what formats (comma seperated values?) Great Plains can read to import basic invoice information (customer, invoice#, date, subtotal, tax, total, etc) for accounts payable and accounts receivable. I have a client interested in converting from his current document format into something that Great Plains can import for his customers that use Great Plains, but I have never programmed for Great Plains. If there is some standard file format that I can use, that would be perfect. Any information or a point in the right direction would be appreciated. --Mike The best to...

Outlook 2000 saved attachments get wrong times
Is there anyone out there with Outlook 2000 that can tell me if, when they save any attachment, does the saved file get a modified and created time that is different from your PC's clock time? On two PC's I've tried this (one with Windows XP Pro, one with 98SE), they have the system Date/Time Properties Time Zone set to GMT+08:00, and Outlook 2000's Tools | Options | Preferences | Calendar Options | Time Zone is also set to GMT+8:00. When an attachment is saved, it gets modified and created times 8 hours ahead of the Current System Time (CST). Saving attachments in...

It takes time to load records in MS CRM Client
HI All, I am facing a serious problem, whenever i access CRM through Client, it takes time to load and after getting records in it, it is not shown properly. Why so??? please help me out. Client is always connected to server, Is there any way to check if it is connected or not. Thanks in Advance. Nitin Verma Nitin, I had the same issue with a client of mine and after working through all of the standard MS suggestions we found that by removing the clients local OST file and recreating it from the exchange server the issue was resolved. MS informed us of 2 items. 1) Having more then 1,000 e...

3.0 Data migration framework still only one time load?
Just wondering if the new framework can do repeat data loads or is it still a one time only process (i.e. no incremental data loading after the first load). Thanks, ...

Time to dollars
I have a schedule that works really well to calculate how many total hours per employee, but when I want to add a column that multiplies the total hours by an rate per hour, the result isn't right--it comes out in the form of time. If I have a cell that results in 32:00:00 total hours and have that multiplied by say 7 dollars per hour the answer comes out as 224:00:00. I need to use the result in other labor cost calculations, but it wont' work as a time. Is there a way to make that into a number (e.g. 224 )? I need to be able to divied the 224:00:00 result by a number equal...

Deleting data entries but not formats
Hi newsgroup, I have some trouble with excel... and with a document which I use for serial mails via Mail Merge. Now I need to clean all old data entries and prepare it for the next use. But if I simply delete the entries or do it via Clear-Entries then I have problems because conditional formatting will also be deleted and furthermore the mail merge cant work anymore because some fields are not found anymore. Does someone know how I can only delete the data entries, nothing else? The Mail merge runs via SQL and I'm not quite good in it... Thanks a lot in advance and a nice weeken...

Billable time default
Can it be changed? At current the default is 30 on an activity, where can i change that number to a value of "0"? The Activity form is not modifyable in the current version. This is going to change in V2. Guy. "Danb" <Danb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA229DBD-C73A-49FB-A86B-6F695DCE0797@microsoft.com... > Can it be changed? At current the default is 30 on an activity, where can > i > change that number to a value of "0"? ...

Excel save takes 18 times longer than Windows Explorer copy
Hi All I have an Excel system with about 10 sheets and loads of VBA modules and classes. It resides on a network at my company's headquarters. When I copy the file from my desktop to the server using Windows Explorer drag and drop it takes about 6 seconds. However if I open the Excel file from the server from my PC and save it using Excel the save time is 90 seconds. Is this normal? My users are complaining about the time it takes to save after editing. It also means that they are not saving often and are risking losing changes. Any thoughts? If the length ...

Case format for getting cell value from a worksheet.
Good Afternoon, I need to create a series of Case conditions based on the value of a cell on a certain worksheet in my open workbook..For the life of me I cannot get the syntax right and I'd appreciate any help i could get. My condition is on a worksheet named "Lookup_Values" Cell "M3" is a value used as a case condition. what I want to do is retrive that value and use it to compare against each case like below. RPT_Date = ("Lookup_Values!M3") Select Case True Case RPT_Date = "January" Perform my actrions Exit Sub ...

Formatting Pivot Table- when doble clicking to show Detail
He there, Can I modified the format of the detail that I get once I doble click my pivot Table? Or Is there a way that once I dobleclick in my pivot table to obtain the detail, a macro can be fired to apply the format that I want?. ...

Word docs copied into Outlook have strange formats when received by other email browsers
When I send mail from Microsoft Outlook, it often looks strange when received by another user in Eudora. Recently, strange three line breaks were inserted between one paragraph and another, which only showed up when the mail was opened in Eudora. There were other odd formatting errors too. Yet the mail looked fine when received by another user in Outlook. Perhaps the problem was that the Outlook email originated in a copied-in Word document? Documents originated as PDF files do not seem to cause the same problems. Does anyone know the best way to copy documents from Word into Outlook, so a...

Mixing Number and Text Formats
Morning all, I have a cell that concatenates several others, the complete cell reads something like this: BUY 200000 LMT 23.67 The text will change so I can't hard code that, but what I would like is a comma separator (200,000) for the 200000 (this number will also change). After spending far too much time on this, I have a feeling that you can't mix a text and number custom format. Prove me wrong. Cheers, J. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.co...

Outlook 2000: E-mail Format
When I open an E-mail form by clicking on New Mail Message and then click the "To" box, the E-mail address that I get is the recipient's name. Does anyone know how to set the default to show the actual E-mail address rather than the name? This is important for those people who have more than one E-mail address. Thanks. Spike drajr@houston.rr.com it uses the email display name, which you can change for every contact. -- "Spike" <dudman@verizonmail.com> wrote in message news:O7GZtxvaDHA.1280@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > When I open an E-mail form by clickin...

Writing formatted XML
How would I write an XmlDocument to a file so that each node is properly indented and followed by a carriage return? Thanks...Dan http://msmvps.com/coad/archive/2004/06/22/8692.aspx Using XmlDocument.Save(string file) produces a file with nicely indented elements. XmlDocument.OuterXml returns a string without any formatting. If you want a nicely formatted string (to display to the user, write to console, etc), without directly writing to a file, you must use the XmlTextWriter. using System.IO; using System.Xml; public static string FormatXML(XmlDocument doc) { // Create a stream bu...

marco to format top 80%
I need to create a macro that chooses the top 80% of the cells in a column, >0, and formats them with colour. I really just need the formula, I can do the macro. I had 50 numbers in A1:A50 and attached this conditional format (Format|Conditional Format) =(A1>=LARGE($A$1:$A$100,20) ) then red background to pick out the top 80% of the numbers. Any help? -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "NN" <NN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A4BB3CA4-9DFB-436D-ABBF-7A6661127E7C@microsoft.com... >I need to create a macro t...

Frx and Unrecognized database format
Hi, My client's users suddenly all started getting the following when trying to login Frx 6.7: 'The Welcome Frx screen flashes and disappears on their workstations and on the SQL server.' When looking into the event viewer we found: SOURCE : FRx Report Manager An application error has occurred. Type: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException Source: Microsoft JET Database Engine Message: Unrecognized database format '\\server\frxsql\sysdata\frxsys32.mdb'. Stack Trace: at FRxSoftware.FRx.ReportManager.FRxReportManagerApplication.CheckForLogin(String appName, String ap...

Alignment in Custom Number Formats
Hi all. I have the following custom number format: _(* #,##0_);_(* (#,##0);_(* "-"??_);_(@_) Can anyone tell me what the "*"s do? It seems to have forcing it to center, but I don't see it in the documentation. Thanks! Eric From XL Help ("About custom number formats"): Repeating characters To repeat the next character in the format to fill the column width, include an asterisk (*) in the number format. For example, type 0*- to include enough dashes after a number to fill the In article <EACE4FC0-C55D-4F28-9293-A00847D37997@microsoft.com>,...

Cached Mode disables addressing emails with First Last name format
In Outlook 2003 (just upgraded) using Cached Mode, I notice that I can no longer address emails with a simple, normal name (e.g., "john doe"), even though that name exists in the Global Address List. (Previous Outlook versions allowed this when synching to an offline folder was enabled.) Now when I attempt to address an email with the "FirstName LastName" format in the To box, I get a dialog stating that "Microsoft Office Outlook does not recognize "john doe" " . This only happens when Cached Mode is enabled. Am I faced with a choice here: I...

Can I use conditional formatting to flag me when something is late?
Hello and thanks, I have an excel (XP)workbook made up of 12 individually tabbed months in which I put multiple billings. For each billing, the date the individual bill was sent is input into a cell. Is there a function that will compare today's date with the date inputted and then (I guess using conditional formatting based on days expired) turn the tab a different color to alert me that there is a late payment within that month? If not, any ideas that will approximate that approach would be truly appreciated, too. Thanks! You can't conditionally change the color of a tab without...