Text to Columns?

In my spreadsheet, from cells F1 to CA1, I have a list of
titles.  At the beginning of each of these titles is the
words Out of Stock/.  I would like to know if there is an
easier way to get rid of these words other than text to
columns.  Right now, I insert a column next to one with
text and use Text to Columns and choose "/" as my
separator, and then I have to go back and delete all of
the unwanted cells.  I didn't mind doing this once, but
now that I have to do it weekly, I need to find a faster
way.  TIA

This is what it looks like now.

      F1                       G1
 Out of Stock/Go Fish     Out of Stock/Red Car

What I would like to see......

      F1                       G1
    Go Fish                  Red Car

0
babsclan (17)

Brian,

It's possible that the Find Replace may do what you want
In the Edit Menu choose "Replace..."
In the "Find what:" field type
Out of Stock/
Leave the "Replace with:" field empty
Hit "Replace All"

If the results aren't what you wanted it can be undone with the "Undo"
command.

Dan E

"Brian" <babsclan@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> In my spreadsheet, from cells F1 to CA1, I have a list of
> titles.  At the beginning of each of these titles is the
> words Out of Stock/.  I would like to know if there is an
> easier way to get rid of these words other than text to
> columns.  Right now, I insert a column next to one with
> text and use Text to Columns and choose "/" as my
> separator, and then I have to go back and delete all of
> the unwanted cells.  I didn't mind doing this once, but
> now that I have to do it weekly, I need to find a faster
> way.  TIA
>
> This is what it looks like now.
>
>       F1                       G1
>  Out of Stock/Go Fish     Out of Stock/Red Car
>

> What I would like to see......
>
>       F1                       G1
>     Go Fish                  Red Car

works perfect.  thanks to all.

0
babsclan (17)

Text format
Hy, I have an text how looks like this: "AA-BB CC-dd". I want to select the text until the "-dd", so the result would be "AA-BB CC". So the text until "-" followed by an lower case letter. How can I do that ? Hi is this text part always after the last '-'? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Me wrote: > Hy, > > I have an text how looks like this: "AA-BB CC-dd". I want to select > the text until the "-dd", so the result would be "AA-BB CC". So the > text until "-" followed by an low...

csv not importing numbers stored as text
I have a column in an excel spreadsheet that is formatted as text. The contents are like this: 1101,1102,1103... When I save as a csv file it then does a calculation on the numbers. What can I do to make the csv read it as 1101,1102,1103...? On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:44:01 -0800, Jennifer <Jennifer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a column in an excel spreadsheet that is formatted as text. The >contents are like this: > >1101,1102,1103... > >When I save as a csv file it then does a calculation on the numbers. What >can I do to make t...

Can I split a cell diagonally, with text in each triangle ?
I am putting together a calendar on excel and would like to split a cell diagnolly, colour each section and be able to type text in each triangle. Is this possible and if so how ? Many thanks Helen No it is not possible! (Now that I have said that someone will probably come in with a method) Youi could, however, make two triangles with different fills, and put text in them or make the fills partially tranparent and put text in the cells under them "Helen T" wrote: > I am putting together a calendar on excel and would like to split a cell > diagnolly, colour each ...

numbers as text #2
How do you do this, and why does excel fight it so hard? Our payroll provider sends us our payroll data in an excel spreadsheet. Project numbers that have been charged to come back in the spreadsheet with an apostrophe (') leading the number, forcing it to be recognized as text. Up to a point. If I edit a project number that was entered wrong, even though I keep the apostrophe before the number, excel now treats the cell value differently. In the body of the spreadsheet it now looks like a number, with no apostrophe, while the edit box at the top of the spreadsheet still shows th...

DEFAULT TEXT BOX FONTS
Hi, In Publisher 2003, it's possible to set fill and line settings as defaults, so that when you create a new text box it automatically uses them . . . However, does anyone know of a way to associate a font (or preferably a style) with new text boxes, so that when you create one the correct typeface is automatically selected? Thanks Open the Font Schemes from the format menu, click "Styles and Formatting", click Create new style. Setting Text Defaults using Normal.pub http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/normal.pub Right-click the text box, click format text box, C...

Adding variables to a static text control (displaying contents of array)
Hello, I was wondering if the following was possible ? I have a static text control in a dialog application. I also have an array which contains about 5 items. I would like the text control to display the contents of this array and then have a button which would move to next position into the array and thus the static text control would display something different ? How could achieve this? I'm using Visual Studio 6.0 and I'm quite new to MFC Many Thanks. >I have a static text control in a dialog application. I also have an >array which contains about 5 items. I would lik...

Pivot Table Report: Getting average of difference of two date columns
Hello I have data in excel sheet as: WORK_ID PROJECT START_DT END_DT 1001 P1 1/1/2006 1/10/2006 1002 P1 1/25/2006 2/20/2006 1003 P1 3/15/2006 3/20/2006 I want to have a report that will give me average time taken to finish a work in a project. That is, I have to take average of (end_dt - start_dt) for a project group. How do I do this in a pivot table report. When I use a calculate field to get the days worked for a work_id using DATEDIF(START_DT, END_DT, "D") then excel computes only sum on that (pivot table report ...

Funny characters in text
Hi I use the following code to insert lines of address text into an excel sheet. Dim MyXL As Object Set MyXL = GetObject("C:\My Spreadsheet.xls") MyXL.WorkSheets("Sheet1").Range("C7").Value = Me.Client & vbCrLf & Me.[Client Address] The problem is that on a client's pc the address shows funny boxes in spreadsheet between address lines, I presume these are CRLF characters. However on my PC I don't see them. Even when they send me a spreadsheet which I can see by remotely login in has boxes, does not show boxes at my end. What is the probl...

Rows to Columns
I have data arranged in rows across a spread sheet, for example B2, C2, D2, etc. How can I change that to a column, for example A1, A2, A3, etc without reentering all the data? Thank you --Select B2:D2. Copy the range --Select A1. Right click>PasteSpecial>Transpose>OK If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "Walter Seaton" wrote: > I have data arranged in rows across a spread sheet, for example B2, C2, D2, > etc. > How can I change that to a column, for example A1, A2, A3, etc without > reentering all the data? >...

assing macro to an an image, shape, text in Word 2007
I would like to run one of my macros when either an image, or a shape, or a text is clicked in Word 2007 document. Thanks, Use an ActiveX control, as they have a _Click event. Lev wrote: >I would like to run one of my macros when either an image, or a shape, or a >text is clicked in Word 2007 document. >Thanks, -- Gerry Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/word-programming/201004/1 Another method is to insert a MacroButton field and paste the image into the field code where the display text would be. See http://www.word...

Filtered list & maximum no columns problem
Hi I have a filtered list with a considerable amount of associated data, which I am performing calculations on. I have run out of columns for this data. It is not practical to split the data into other sheets, as I am making frequent changes to the filter criteria. Any suggestions? Bertie -- claytorm ------------------------------------------------------------------------ claytorm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=11610 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398516 ...

Text Formula Question
In COL A, I have a list of 2 and 3 digit charactors. I would like to seperate each string into the three adjacent columns. KQ AJs TT 89s KQ K Q AJs A J s TT T T 89s 8 9 s I know that I can use the Left function for the first col, but cant figure out how to get just the middle or third letters. Thanks in advance, Andrew Check your last post! -- Regards, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! ------------------------------------------------...

How do I Change the Column Names (Re-Name A -
I want to Change the Column Headings from letters to actual names. How do I do that? hi this can not be done. excel needs these to find/remember where everthing is on the spreadsheet grid. you can change the letters to numbers but that is it. on the 2003 menu bar... tools>options>general tab. check R1C1 reference style. or you can get rid of the letters all togeather. on the 2003 menu bar.... tools>options>view tab>uncheck row & column headers. but they are still there, just not visible. usually when someone want to wants to get rid of the column header letters, they u...

TransferText
Is there a way to have table or query exported out to a text file and APPEND to what is already in the text file instead of overwrite? Please advise. Thank you. "Brig Siton" <bnospamsiton@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e0wzJZZ1KHA.5328@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to have table or query exported out to a text file and > APPEND to what is already in the text file instead of overwrite? TransferText will always overwrite the target file. If you still want to use TransferText, you can export to a temporary file, then use one of seve...

Printing Double Columns
How do I get an Excel spreadsheet to print in double columns? The two columns in question are narrow enough for this. Art David McRitchie has a macro that will "snake" the columns. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm Personally, I'd copy into MSWord (maybe hitting NotePad if MSWord slows down when I paste). Then use MSWord's Format|Column to make life easy. AjM wrote: > > How do I get an Excel spreadsheet to print in double columns? The two > columns in question are narrow enough for this. > > Art -- Dave Peterson Dave, That was a...

columns within columns
I'd like to make a single page spreadsheet with the twelve months across the top. within each, i would like 4 or 5 columns representing the weeks.this will be an actual 2010 calendar. the titles for the inner columns will be the date of the first monday of the week. vertical grid lines separating the months are a little darker than the grid lines separating the weeks. the y axis will be the values to be entered any suggestiions? Before you start have a look at John Walkenback's calender @ http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/files Look for Array Formula ...

Visio 2002 Pro database column notes
Hi, I know this question has been asked before, but I'm still not sure where to go from here! I have reverse engineered a database, and fully documented each table and column via the notes fields. It is my understanding that in this version, the notes cannot be printed or exported out. Looking at previous posts in this ng, it has been suggested that this is only available in the "Enterprise Edition". After looking at Microsoft's site, it seems that Visio 2002 Enterprise comes in two versions, Network and Architect. Can both of these access/print the notes fields? The Net...

Change Excel Column Headings from A,B etc to names?
I want to import an excel csv file of e-mail addresses ito googlemail but I do not know how to change the column headings from A, B etc into name and addres etc column headings which google will accept You cannot change the column headers. Use row 1 for your column titles of Name, Address etc. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 22 May 2008 09:46:00 -0700, Sandy Mac <Sandy Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to import an excel csv file of e-mail addresses ito googlemail but I >do not know how to change the column headings from A, B etc into name and >addres etc...

Visio 2003: 2-D arrows and text orientation
I'd like to be able to rotate the text displayed on a 2-D arrow shape relative to the shape itself. Does anyone know how to do this? On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 19:35:34 -0400, "Mister Scary" <daniel_newhouse@earthlink.net> wrote: >I'd like to be able to rotate the text displayed on a 2-D arrow shape >relative to the shape itself. Does anyone know how to do this? with the shape selected, on the toolbar, select the small down arrow next to the Text Tool and select the Text Block Tool, the text area on the line will now not only be highlighted by green blocks but ...

splitting text from one cell
I need to remove specified data from a single cell and place on the same row in another column. Not all data will be the same eg 100mg, 200mg etc Not too clear; what data? Do you want to extract the number from the text? This will extract 100 from 100mg and 5 from 5mg: =--LEFT(A1,FIND("m",A1)-1) Any help? -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "rogera" <rogera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98106D4C-04D2-4A2D-B293-9F5BBF0F04EB@microsoft.com... >I need to remove specified data from a single cell and place on th...

Comparison of Columns
I have three columns thast represent Set numbers, I want to compare the values in column "B" with those in column "A" find where they match and then calculate how many rows they have moved either up or down and put the answer in column "C" Col A Col B Col C 1127 1129 +1 1129 1130 +1 1130 1132 +3 1102 1102 0 1131 1131 0 1132 1133 +1 1133 1135 +1 1135 1137 +2 1062 1138 +2 1137 1062 -1 1138 1141 You need to provide much more detail. For example, what exactly do you mean by "where they match&quo...

FINDING "EQUALITY" within 3 consecutive columns
I have 3 consecutive columns, A,B, & C with various numbers within each...also there are probably 1500 rows. How do I find the rows where each of the three numbers within that row are equal? EXAMPLE: A B C 1 128 158 188 2 127 128 128 3 211 188 170 4 199 196 165 5 ...

Repeat Text
In cell C2 I have a text entry, Installation Complete XA3C. I need to have repeat every 6 rows, in row 8, 14, 20,etc. Not sure how far down it needs to go, as that will be determined as the process is ongoing. Any way to automate entering this entry for possibly hundreds of rows? Thanks Paul You could add this formula to a blank cell: =MOD(ROW()+4,6) and copy down the column. Apply a filter to this column and select the value 0, which will display rows 2, 8, 14, 20 etc. Then <copy> cell C2 and <paste> to the other cells in column C which are visible, however many you feel you ...

Scaling RTF text and EM_SETZOOM
Hi everyone, I am trying to find a way to cleanly scale some RTF text that I want to draw on a DC. The only way I found to draw RTF on to a dc is to use CRichEditCtrl::FormatRange (which is nice) but how would I scale the image. I tried using EM_SETZOOM which is supposed to be avaliable with richedit 3.0 and above. But it's not working. So as a test i created a dialog with a CRichEditCtrl I send the EM_SETZOOM message to the control, with 6:1 to make the text 6 times bigger, then I turn around and ask it for it's zoom, and it says that it is 6:1, but the text within the window is n...

Importing data from a text file
I have to import raw data from a text file that Excel cannot break into columns, and the import is unsuccessful. would VBA be a better choice, having it specifically search for data? there are 3 specific types of files and all the files (of the same type) are formatted exactly the same. thanks in advance -- jbaranski ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jbaranski's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36862 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=566746 Why can't Excel break the ...