Text to columns - one way street?

Once I use the Text to columns feature in Excel, it seems there is no way to
turn it off.

Anyone know if there is a way to reset this so that newly pasted text will
not continue to get broken up (for example by the space delimiter)

Presently the only way is to exit Excel and restart Excel - then pasted text
all goes into one cell regardless of spaces.

Hope I explained that well enough

Al

0
Al1 (451)

I may have been to hasty in making this assumption, it appears that the
problem I described below is only happening on one workstation - this may
indicate that the Excel Registry keys are in need of a refresh - I will try
that and post back the results.

"Al" wrote:

> Once I use the Text to columns feature in Excel, it seems there is no way to
> turn it off.
>
> Anyone know if there is a way to reset this so that newly pasted text will
> not continue to get broken up (for example by the space delimiter)
>
> Presently the only way is to exit Excel and restart Excel - then pasted text
> all goes into one cell regardless of spaces.
>
> Hope I explained that well enough
>
> Al

0
Al1 (451)
11/17/2005 3:28:13 PM
I think you'll find that excel has a very good memory and likes to help.

You can kill its memory by closing and reopening (yechhh!) or you can do a dummy
data|text to columns.

Just choose delimited, but uncheck each delimiter and finish up.

Then excel won't know what to do for the next time.

--

Dave Peterson
0

In summary:

In order to prevent the automatic parsing of data when pasting into a olumn…
Click to select the entire column
Click Data
Click Text to Columns
Click Delimited then Click Next
Uncheck any Delimiters that are checked
Click Finish

Thank-you very much
Al
"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> I think you'll find that excel has a very good memory and likes to help.
>
> You can kill its memory by closing and reopening (yechhh!) or you can do a dummy
> data|text to columns.
>
> Just choose delimited, but uncheck each delimiter and finish up.
>
> Then excel won't know what to do for the next time.
>

> Al wrote:
> >
> > I may have been to hasty in making this assumption, it appears that the
> > problem I described below is only happening on one workstation - this may
> > indicate that the Excel Registry keys are in need of a refresh - I will try
> > that and post back the results.
> >
> > "Al" wrote:
> >
> > > Once I use the Text to columns feature in Excel, it seems there is no way to
> > > turn it off.
> > >
> > > Anyone know if there is a way to reset this so that newly pasted text will
> > > not continue to get broken up (for example by the space delimiter)
> > >
> > > Presently the only way is to exit Excel and restart Excel - then pasted text
> > > all goes into one cell regardless of spaces.
> > >
> > > Hope I explained that well enough
> > >
> > > Al
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Al1 (451)
11/17/2005 4:08:05 PM
I'd use a helper cell--not the whole column.

In fact, I'd use an empty cell
put something in it
then do that data|text to columns.
Then clean up that cell

That way, I'd avoid any unintended changes.

--

Dave Peterson
0

if cell is text move left one column

pulling certain characters from a string of text
I need to look up "certain critera" within a string of characters, then return that "certain criterea" to a new column. Some examples of a strings of characters may look like these: K5J091509001 Sample PO#S881009 K55sample PO CarrieRJR TJ5 My "Certain Critera" I have listed on another sheet, named "REP ID" K5J S88 K55 RJR TJ5 How do I pull out the 3 characters of "Certain Criterea" from the string of text and copy or enter it into a new column? Hi, =left(a1,3) "SaraMack" wrote: > I need to look up "c...

can I snap wrap points to a text box

Sorting on Column headers
I have a spreedsheet that someone else created and I need to take the Column headers, which are in date form, and rearrange them in chronological order. Can this be done without cutting and pasting? I really need to save time with this project if possible. Thanks!:) --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > I have a spreedsheet that someone else created and I need to take the > Column headers, which are in date form, and rearrange them in > chronological order. Can this be done without cutting and pasting? I > really need to save time with this project if possib...

default text height comment
Is there a way to set the default text height for a new comment? Thanks mark (I've looked through help but can't find it if it's in there.) I assume you mean the font size? There is no text height available in Excel. A comment has a shape property and that is what you can use to change the font size. They didn't make it easy ... Range("D4").Comment.Shape.TextFrame.Characters.Font.Size = 12 -- Jim Cone Portland, Oregon USA http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware (free and commercial excel programs) "mp" <nospam@Thanks.com> wrote in message...

Opening Multiple Web Links in a Column

Removing spaces from text #4
I'm in excel and i have a bunch of text data that has an extra space at the end of the text on the right hand side for each cell. Is there any easy way to remove this space? Use the TRIM() function. -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "lj" <lj@spu.edu> wrote in message news:1144876429.220961.309040@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I'm in excel and i have a bunch of text data that has an extra space at > the end of the text on the right hand side for each cell. Is there any > easy way to remove this space? > I tried using that function but the results st...

Character Length in a column
I have a column where every cell must have 14 characters. Lets say have the name Angel. I need 9 more charcters. Next cell down have the word cake. I need 10 more charcters.How do I automatciall insert the spaces I need to have 14 charcters. HELP PLEASE!!!!! GOIN NUTS ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements One way: Do you care about what characters are added? I'l...

Freeze the side column/top row & scroll others
what is the function to set (lock in or freeze) the first column and / or top row of a spreadsheet, so the words and numbers remain in the same place as you scroll the other columns and rows. (so you can add more columns..yet keep the main information in the first column/row) Freeze Panes..... In older versions of Excel, it is under Window. In 2007 version of Excel, it is under View. You first select a cell, then activate the command. Excel uses the selected cell's upper left corner to define the freeze point. Play with it. You can also Unfreeze panes that were fro...

Charttitle.Text crashes (Excel 2000)
Hi, when I try to run the following code (on an existing diagram): With ActiveChart Dim globalLstFile as String globalLstFile =3D "02 KOBA_XYZ_C3-06214 02- 20.7-20.8=B0C Touchprobe Mittelpunkte.lst" =2EHasTitle =3D True =2EChartTitle.Text =3D "KOBA Sphere Gauge S/N 38 538 (" + globalLstFile + ")" & Chr(10) & _ "color coding: red =3D Zone 1, green =3D Zone 2, blue =3D Zone 3"= & Chr(10) & _ "light color: measurements that contain spheres that are within 20 cm of the edge of the measurement volume" ..=...

Bank One Download is not working