Text to Columns 05-28-10

I have a column with the following data:

RUT 212874790014

Each cell has the word RUT, and the number changes, altough it always has 12
digits. I need to have the word in one cell and  the number in another, so I
use the text to column option. But when I finish doing this the result is:

A           B
RUT       21,2875E+11

How can I avoid this, so as to keep displaying the whole original number in
the cell?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Emece.-

After performing the text to columns, format the number column as 'number'
zero decimal points.

"Emece" wrote:

> I have a column with the following data:

> RUT 212874790014
>
> Each cell has the word RUT, and the number changes, altough it always has 12
> digits. I need to have the word in one cell and  the number in another, so I
> use the text to column option. But when I finish doing this the result is:
>
> A           B
> RUT       21,2875E+11
>
> How can I avoid this, so as to keep displaying the whole original number in
> the cell?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Emece.-
If you don't need that number for calculations.

In Step 3 set Column Data Format to Text for that column.

Elsewise format as number.....no DP

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 28 May 2010 10:00:01 -0700, Emece <Emece@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have a column with the following data:

>RUT 212874790014
>
>Each cell has the word RUT, and the number changes, altough it always has 12
>digits. I need to have the word in one cell and  the number in another, so I
>use the text to column option. But when I finish doing this the result is:
>
>A           B
>RUT       21,2875E+11
>
>How can I avoid this, so as to keep displaying the whole original number in
>the cell?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Regards,
>Emece.-

0
Gord
5/28/2010 5:26:34 PM
Thanks Tim. This works, but is there a way to specify that directly in the
wizard Text to Columns?

Thanks again

"tim m" wrote:

> After performing the text to columns, format the number column as 'number'
> zero decimal points.
>
> "Emece" wrote:
>
> > I have a column with the following data:

> > RUT 212874790014
> >
> > Each cell has the word RUT, and the number changes, altough it always has 12
> > digits. I need to have the word in one cell and  the number in another, so I
> > use the text to column option. But when I finish doing this the result is:
> >
> > A           B
> > RUT       21,2875E+11
> >
> > How can I avoid this, so as to keep displaying the whole original number in
> > the cell?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Emece.-

columns in RMSSO
Hi There, Is it possible to change the columns on the forms ?? For example: Receiving po contains: Type, Item Lookup Code, Reorder Number, Description, OtyOrd, QtyRTD, QtyRcv, Cost, Price, NewPrice, Extended We need: Item Lookup Code, Description, MPQ, Price, BinLocation We need to modify few other forms as well. I think I've seen that in one of the add-ons while ago, but I cant remember which one was it and I'm not 100% sure if I really did. Thanks, Arthur ...

Clear text box when opening a form
In Access 2007, I'm using the "column History" feature to maintain a list of previous comments. On a form, the user will enter some comments in the "Activity" text box and the column history will return the data with a date and time stamp. This works great. My question is, how can I clear the comments the user entered previously in the "Activity" text box next time he opens the form? The user over a period of time will continue adding comments and each time he has to manually clear it. That's probably an easy code to write but I don't ...

How do I create a bulleted list text format inside cell?
I am collecting data and want to format the text inside the "notes" (my title) cell so that it can be more easily read. I would like to make a bulleted list. There are several cells that need this formatting. Is this possible? There is no help for this. You have to do it manually. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "DEH" <DEH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DFAEE5CC-0AAD-41D7-9DE1-396187DA2681@microsoft.com... > I am collecting data and want to format the text inside the "notes" (my > title) cell so that it can be more easily read. I would...

Find feature does not work with HTML messages (Content-type: text/html)
I have Outlook 2000 SP-3 running under Windows ME. When using the Find feature to locate all e-mails with a given word in the message, no items are found if the e-mails are of "text/html" content-type. The Find feature appears to work for any messages that have URLs embedded and are "multipart/alternative" or "text/plain" content-type. I noticed a similar post several months ago (see http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=%23qSBYIssDHA.2224%40TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl). Is there a work-around for this problem, or should this be reported t...

Excel should default to autoformat for chart text boxes
Excel in (Office 2003 and as far as I can tell all previous versions of Excel) should default to autoformat for chart text boxes - it currently selects "none" for outline and background options ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.micr...

Technique used to rotate text labels when creating a PDF file from Access
This might be of help to some people. I have been producing some PDF reports lately directly from Access using the basic techniques found here: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.ms-access/msg/a49f0ddea9315902 The rotation technique I use below can only be used when Access creates the PDF file directly or when Access uses some PDF creation tool that allows the developer to insert additional PDF commands. I don't think that the Access 2007 PDF Add-in from Microsoft allows such customization. Even if you can find an appropriate place to put the PDF commands within...

Reference column question
Setting up a tabulation speadsheet,has 40 rows and 10 columns.Question is when I do my formula which is a subtraction for each column,I want to use a refernce # from the first row of each column =Sum(F1-D3)=SUM (G1-D3)and so to=Sum(P1-D3)Rather than enter each manually,because cut and paste adds 1 to each column how can I get to use f1 as reference for that column G1 for that column.Thanx If I understand correctly, try putting a $ in front of the row reference. Also, sum is not necessary for what you are doing. =F$1-D3 as you copy that down it becomes =F$1-D4 copied across to the ri...

excel 06-05-10
I have a spread sheet and in it i have data validation tables when i finish picking from them and email the sheet i then want to clear the info in the tables but not the data validation table and not usr macro I'm not exactly sure about what you want to do, Is the whole range filled in with data validation in the cells to create your table or only part. If you can select all the cells with data validation then you can press delete on the keyboard to clear all the contents, but the data validation remains. Or if this is difficult because the data validation is dotted about the...

Bank Recon GP 10 problem
Hi We are a VAR that's upgraded one client to GP 10 and installed GP 10 for another new client, both on SQL 2000. In both cases there's an incorrect balance showing for Cashbook Balance field (cashbook maintenance screen) using the Bank Recon module. Also the cashbook balance is not re-calculated (recon screen) when "Incl Trans To Date" field is changed, for both clients. We can update the balance in Cashbook Master table (CM00100) in SQL but this doesn't solve the problem. Any suggestions? ...

Need help extracting text from EDLs
I really am trying to learn this stuff, but I haven't programmed anything since my TRS-80 Basic days and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I want to extract text from Edit Decision Lists so that I have a list of shots used in a film. Here is an example of one event of an EDL: 002 TAPE004 V C 04:45:22:06 04:45:24:14 02:00:08:00 02:00:10:08 FROM CLIP NAME: 7C-4_B_ DLEDL: PATH: /raids/luc_1/bun/reel_02/oscans/1222/bun_7c_4_b_02/2048x1556/ The text that follows "FROM CLIP NAME:" is the name of the clip that I want to extract so that I have a document on onl...

Question #10
If possible... How do I get excel to change the color of a "grid" if I enter say specfic letter or word in it. Example. 800 columns by 800 rows All columns and rows are small as possible Each letter would mean something, and I would need the grid with tha letter to be a specifc color. To allow easy viewing of the information V = red R = grey H = blue So instead of filling in each color per grid myself, I would get exce to auto-fill Any help would be greatly appreciat -- dirtytongu ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dirtytongue's Profi...

All Columns are not to move
How can I stop the columns from moving to the left of the Table? -- Roger On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 17:28:39 -0800, Roger <Roger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I stop the columns from moving to the left of the Table? You'll have to explain what on Earth you're talking about, Roger. What columns are "moving"? How? John W. Vinson [MVP] Good evening John, I found my own answer:by bringing the cursor to the first cell, the first column will not scroll to the left anymore; however, when I bring the cursor to any other cell and scroll to the rig...

Text-To-Columns Fixed Width
When using Text-To-Columns, Excel "recognizes" that the data fits the Fixed Width criteria and PRE-assigns the width. In most of the cases I work with Excel is wrong 99% of the time. Is there a way to force Excel to NOT pre-assign the width (leave everything blank)? On the first panel of the wizard click Delimited, then on the second panel click space as the delimiter. Hope this helps. Pete On Feb 4, 12:50=A0am, TP <T...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When using Text-To-Columns, Excel "recognizes" that the data fits the Fix= ed > Width ...

How to get total "conditional sum of cells" in a column?
Hi all, I have dollar amounts in one col, and status in another. I want the sum of those dollar amounts where the corresponding status cell is empty (blank). How do I do this? Thanks for any hints, cdj Status in Column A and dollar amounts in Column B: =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100="")*B2:B100) -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning place of kings sandymann2@mailinator.com Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk "sherifffruitfly" <sherifffruitfly@gmail.com> wrote in message news:bc08584b-1338-4b3f-8ab3-cc3e1602e581@n1g2000prb.go...

Automatically display set text based on users composition
Hi, im trying to do something really simple, trouble is i dont know what the feature's called to be able to search for tips on how to do it. Basically in outlook messages, when a user begins writing a sentence e.g. "in the terms of" i need a tag to pop up that allows the user to press enter and then the remainder of what they will want to type in will be inserted in, its a yellow tag that comes up above the words. i dont know where it needs to be created and enabled. Cheers, Rhys. ...

Code to send SMS text message?
Hi, I would like to send an SMS text message to a cel phone via code within Excel 2007. Has anyone done this? What code / services / products do I need to accomplish this? Does anyone have an example? Thanks in advance. --Dan What gateway are you using? What you would need to do is to snd a internet message to a gateway provider which would then send the messae out on the wireless land. Most likely you are using a webpage interface from your PC to interface with the gateway. So opening up an internet explorer and goiong to an URL is probably the method to use. ...

Access 2007 Rich Text Question 04-28-07
Hi All In the plan text version of a Memo field you can easily add a date by pressing Ctrl+Colon which makes life easy for the end user. However, if the Memo field is set to the Rich Text Property this no longer works. Or am I missing something? Tom gave me a part answer last week but I cannot see a way of inserting a date on a Rich Text Memo field by using keystrokes Thanks ...

Setting Up Windows Mail 01-05-10
I am having trouble setting up windows mail. This is the message I get "The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Hello', Account: 'Work', Server: 'pop3', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E" I don't know what to enter when I go into accounts & properties. I have Time Warner Cable internet and I am working off of a laptop. "NormaH" <NormaH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B119C5BC-0455-4A2B-8346-FD86236D0F9C@microsoft.com... >I am having ...

Sort column with first and last name by last name
Hello, I have a mailing list with 10,000 names. The first cell has first an last name in the same cell. First name is listed first. Is there formula to sort and/or separate text in a cell. I would like to sort o separate the first name from the last in the cell to allow for a mai merge by name. Using Excel 2002. Thank you -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If you have just first and last names separated by a space, Data>Text to Columns would be the easiest method to split into two columns. If more than that, like names with van or von or de etc. you may need a different m...

Text box and formatting?
I am working on class schedule and have one text box which spans a few pages. Pages are double columns. I have a header for each class and paragraph given for class description. On the last page, last column, one description appears at the top with empty space for the rest of the column. I would like to change the formatting of the text in the whole text-box so that most of the last column is used. I can select the text in the text box which expands over the few pages and play with the font size, but that would mean that all the text would be the same size. Is there a way that text...

How do I use text in a cell as a range name in a formula
If cell A1 had the text TEST in it and TEST is the name I have given to a group of cells using the name box what formula can I use to give me the sum of TEST, thats is the sum of the cells in the group called TEST. I understand that I can simply have =SUM(TEST), but I want the formula to refer to Cell A1 to get the name ie =SUM(A1) doesn't work obviously Any help appreciated Thank you In this case, you want to use the INDIRECT function. E.g., =SUM(INDIRECT(A1)) -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Kiwi" &...

wrapping text in a query field
I set up the field in table to memo and tried entering a lot of information but when I open the report that field does not expand to show all of the entries. Can this be done in query and reports both. Thanking you in advance. Mary Lou On Dec 12, 12:06 pm, MaryLou <Mary...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I set up the field in table to memo and tried entering a lot of information > but when I open the report that field does not expand to show all of the > entries. Can this be done in query and reports both. > > Thanking you in advance. > Mary Lou Go to the p...

Pasting "Character Spacing" adjusted text
Our church office secretary has the Bible on a CD in a Word document. They have used Format>Font>Character Spacing>Position >Raised>by 2.5 rather than "Suberscript" for all the verse numbers. Is there a way to Copy the text and paste it into Publisher to maintain the appearance of the raised verse numbers? I do not see the Character Spacing formatting features in Publisher. We are using Office 2002. Jim wrote: > Our church office secretary has the Bible on a CD in a Word document. > They have used Format>Font>Character Spacing>Position >Raised>...

Finding unique numbers in a column
Is there any way to find the number of unique values among a set o values in a column in an excel sheet. I would also like to know th number of times each value appears in the column. Thank -- coolkid39 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- coolkid397's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2431 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37924 There was also a similar thread under Excel Worksheet functions titled "Delete duplicates". Solution provided was to use: Data>Filter&g...

CRM Mobile Express Error 10-23-06
Hi, i installed CRM Mobile Express, it works almost fine. When access in any entity, example Opportunitties, it shows, but the opportunity details, send this error: Message: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. Stack trace: at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() at System.We...