Text Qualifiers

I imported a tab-delimited text file, with quotation marks as the text
qualifiers.  Excel removed the marks, and now I need to save the file back as
text, and put the quotation marks back in.  Is there anyway I can do this?
Thanks!

I'd use a helper column (say column C) with a formula in it that wraps the
fields that you need in quotes:

=""""&a1&""""&b1
and drag down.

Then select column C.
Copy it
Paste into Notepad
Save that as the .CSV file.

Or you could use a macro to write the text file anyway you want.

Here are three sites that you could steal some code from:

Earl Kiosterud's Text Write program:
www.smokeylake.com/excel
(or directly:  http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/text_write_program.htm)

Chip Pearson's:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm

J.E. McGimpsey's:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html

--

Dave Peterson
0

If/then to print text.
I want to use a formula so that when a value over zero is put into one cell, a line of text prints in another cell. I know it is an if then function, but I've forgotten the exact formula and the way to encode the text message in the formula. Shadyhosta wrote: > I want to use a formula so that when a value over zero is put into one cell, > a line of text prints in another cell. I know it is an if then function, but > I've forgotten the exact formula and the way to encode the text message in > the formula. Try this: =IF(A1>0,"print this text","prin...

Pasting email address into text field
Hello all, I am attempting to copy/paste several rows of data from an excel spreadsheet into an Access form. I receive an error: "The value you have entered into this field is invalid" when the data contains an email address. The email address field is set for text with a field length of 255 characters in the DB. I can copy the individual email address into the field without any problems. the problem occurs only when I am copying the whole row or rows of data from the excel spreadsheet into the Access DB. Any ideas about getting around this problem? Hi, this is exactly wh...

Imported text file w/o unique identifiers, find duplicates
Imported a txt file w/o unique identifiers and have run a query to find possible duplicate records based on 3 seperate fields. How can I either update those fields that may be in error in the original table or append a new record w/o the duplicate data and delete the original record? In the following I need to determine which records to keep, which to delete and/or which to update. End Date Total Sheets Time Operator Name 3/3/2007 14 0:00 00094123 B D MCNARA 3/3/2007 14 0:00 00095681 NAME UNKNOWN 3/17/2007 84 0:01 00091234 C D S 3/17/2007 84 0:01 000...

How to get Table Description Field Text to show on Forms? Hovering? Right-Click?
Can I get the fioeld description I enter in the Table Design View to show on Forms or Queries? When the mouse hovers over the field or field name?? When the user right clicks on the field or field name?? At the bottom of the screen when the mouse hovers? How? Thanks for any help. Mel Ken, I've done some programming but not much in Access. How do I (where do I click) to add a function to the "standard module" ??? And, am I correct in understanding that the first function would be called each time the db opened? And the 2nd function would be called each time the form op...

combine text & date formula to show mmmm dd, yyyy?
How do I combine text and date formula to show the written date and not the Excel number date? I have text in a couple of cells and a date formula in another cell(input from a different worksheet). I have the formula =A3 & F3 & A4 in A1 and would like it to read: We went to the station on December 21, 2009 and took the train. However, it is reading We went to the station on 40168 and took the train. Thanks. Try something like this... A1 = Today is B1 = 12/21/2009 =A1&" "&TEXT(B1,"mmmm dd, yyyy") Returns: Today is December 21, 2009 ...

Text format
Hy, I have an text how looks like this: "AA-BB CC-dd". I want to select the text until the "-dd", so the result would be "AA-BB CC". So the text until "-" followed by an lower case letter. How can I do that ? Hi is this text part always after the last '-'? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Me wrote: > Hy, > > I have an text how looks like this: "AA-BB CC-dd". I want to select > the text until the "-dd", so the result would be "AA-BB CC". So the > text until "-" followed by an low...

Text color
Hi All, When I open windows explorer and click on any word or folder way on the left , it is highlited in a very light blue, how can I change that color to say like dark blue like windows classic . Thank you. Carl G Hi, You would have to revert to a classic theme and then change the color for "selected items" in the advanced color properties of Personalization/Windows Color and Appearance. It's not customizable when running an aero theme. -- Best of Luck, Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/ Windows he...

Full-Text Indexing #3
Is there a way to enable full-text indexing in an outlook client for Public Folders when the client is working offline? ...

on_change() event for text fields
Is there really no way to assign an event to a text field? We want to be able to have the format saved correctly for phone numbers when they're entered in (###)###-#### I've read some threads about this already and it looks like it cannot be done unless you write an app to constantly check and replace the phone numbers within the database itself. I can do this but it would be nice to know if there was any simpler way of going about this. Thanks in advance. nope, not at all,.....only picklists its kinda stupid too because under text boxes they have the ability to select &qu...

cancel integration if text source file not available
Is there a way programatically to cancel the integration if my text source file does not exist? ...

Add text to a field based on a combo box selection
I'm making a form that contains a dropdown field (dropdown1) containing 5 possible selections. Based upon what the user selects, I want to fill a second field (text3) with a corresponding value. For instance: If dropdown1="Maintenance" then enter "Jack Doe" text3 If dropdown1="Safety" then enter "Tom Collins" text 3 etc. Is there a way to write a 'if then else' formula in a 'calculate' form field? And if so what would the syntax be? Or is there a better (easier, non-programatic) way to accomplish this? I'm not...

howto: convert from xml to text ?
Hi, If anyone knows how to convert a input xml (getting from a url querry) and convert it into a flat, csv text file ?? Thanks, Gopi hmm... but can you point some examples...?? Thanks, Gopi "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:be7d6s$235oo$1@ID-152440.news.dfncis.de... > This can be done using XSLT. > > > ===== > Cheers, > > Dimitre Novatchev. > http://fxsl.sourceforge.net/ -- the home of FXSL > > > > "Gopinath Varadharajan" <vgopinath@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:exXDxHzQDHA.402...

msg template. Text sent not what typed!
Hi I have had the strangest issue with Outlook. I sometimes use msg files to send emails to colleagues. Normally I have a template set up and I may change the to, cc, subject and body of the email slightly to reflect the topic of the email. However the bulk of the email remains the same. The other day I was sending an email and had amended the template (not saved as need to use the template again), and sent it out. Whilst the to,cc and subject fields were correct the text i had entered in the body of the email had gone and other text had been entered and my signature had dissappea...

According to the Excel online help, the PivotCache.Connection property can be set to "the path to and file name of a text file". I tried setting it to the path and file name of a .csv file and it returned an error. Is there a way to load a PivotCache directly from a flat file without having to load into a spreadsheet or database? (The flat file has more than 1 million rows.) -- Tom Sherwood ...

text styles
in MP 2007- I have selected all columns, all rows. I cleared all formats. I go to set text styles. Set all items to automatic then, I set critical path items to Fuchsia or lime and OK... these tasks are still black (automatic) and will not retain that fuchsia setting. My 2003 schedules this works great! Is fuchsia just not working as a color in 2007? Huh, that would appear to be a bug. Red works fine. Fuschia doesn't seem to stick for some reason. I can replicate that on my machine with no difficulty. I guess you should avoid fuschia. It's such a 90s color anywa...

Text Boxes #10
Hi I've nearly finished a publication but have now been told that I need to put a side panel on every page. This means that I need to move and resize all the text boxes in the whole document!! Is there a way of moving them all together as they need to be the same size and in the same place on each page? I don't know of a way to do all the pages in one operation. What you can do to make all the existing text boxes the same size by temporarily move the guide over to a location to match the intended location of the side of the text box, go through the pages "snapping" ...

opening text file converts numbers to scientific notation
If I open a text file containing 13-digit barcode numbers for stock using Excel 2007, the numbers are converted to scientific notation. I don't have the option to specifiy that I want 13 digits with no decimals, but I believe this was possible in earlier versions. Is there a workaround or a preference i am missing? On the "Home" tab in the "Cells" group, "Format", then "Format Cells", "Number" tab, "Number", zero decimal places. Some hints on 2003 to 2007 command mapping: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA1...

Auto Row Height with Wrapped Text in Merged Cells Problem
I can't get my spreadsheet to automatically change the row height when using text wrapping IF I'm working with several merged cells in adjacent columns. It works fine on a single cell but not with merged cells. (I have tried selecting FORMAT, Rows, AutoFit) Any suggestions? I start with a macro that Jim Rech shared: http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=e1%241uzL1BHA.1784%40tkmsftngp05 Rick Cl. wrote: > > I can't get my spreadsheet to automatically change the row height when using > text wrapping IF I'm working with several merged cells in adjac...

Any way to get around the 240-character line limit on text output?
I'm trying to save an Excel file into a fixed-length file for import into a mainframe and the biggest problem (as pointed out in another post on this board) is that there is a limit of 240 characters per line. This causes the rest of each line to be placed at the end of the file. My record layout length is around 300 and we're talking about 50,000 records. How can I get around the 240 character limit to save this file in an acceptable format? Otherwise it will take hours of work to get the file in the proper format. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;13155...

Copy formatted text but not headers/footers
I have the following VBA code to copy some text from between Word documents (I'm familiar with VBA but not the Word object library): Const PLACEHOLDER_TEXT As String = "||ADD TEXT HERE||" ' Copy from source to clipboard docSource.Activate docSource.Sections(x).Range.Copy ' Paste from clipboard to target docTarget.Activate Selection.Find.Execute PLACEHOLDER_TEXT, , , , , , True, WdFindWrap.wdFindContinue Selection.Paste What I want is for the section's formatted text to be copied/pasted into the existing section in the target document so that the...

convert text into date
can any one help me i have data in excel like 436,or 1851 i wanted to convert this text format into time and date format so actully i wanted it to be as 4:36 AM or 18:51 PM, I found one solution if you manually put ":" between "4" and "36" then format cell as time, this will work but i have a lot of data, is there any formula to put ":" between charactors thanx shabbir Hi in adjancent cell try the following formula =TIME(LEFT(A1,1+(LEN(A1)=4)),RIGHT(A1,2),0) and format this cell as time -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "arshab1&qu...

How the heck do I plot 'my text' for the X axis? (instead of 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.)
Hi, I'm using XL2002 & Win2000Pro. How can I display the week numbers (as shown) in the x axis, rather than 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. that M$ uses. Here's my data Week 11 12 13 14 Sales A 43 55 48 32 Sales B 32 36 41 29 Here's what I want the axis's to look like 50 40 30 20 10 0 11 12 13 14 How do I do it? Many thanks!!! Norm Father Guido ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ I plan on living forever... so far, so good Option 1: Del...

Asigning a numeric value to text.
Hi All, I need to assign a numeric value to a text string, so when the end use selects a particular text from a dropdown list it returns a numeri value to be used in a formula. Tried everything I know, need help please -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Select some out of the way cells and assign RangeNames to them that are the same at the TEXT selections in your dropdown list. Then type the numbers in each box you wish each of them to represent. Then a formula like =A1+RangeName would use the RangeName in the formula, but return the number in the result. hth Vaya con ...

Why does Save As delete header text?
When using Word 2007, I notice that when I open up the Save As dialog box my header and footer texts are erased and replaced with a short text that looks like a template header option. When I enter the new filenamr and click OK, then the newly named file indeed has lost my original header and footer text. What is going on here and how can I keep this from happening? Bob If you are the same person who posted a similar question yesterday, try going back to that thread and reading the replies that were posted. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type ...

text box if statement does not work when displayed in main form
I have a subform (fExtraHrsDetails)with the below code. If the field (Stage) is "Active" the text box (ProjIDCL) is displayed else the text box(ProjID) is displayed Private Sub Form_Current() If Me.Stage = "Active" Then ProjIDCL.Visible = True ProjID.Visible = False Else ProjIDCL.Visible = False ProjID.Visible = True End If End Sub This works great in the subform, however, when I display the main form, the sub form does not display the correct text box. What am I doing wrong? Why does it work in the subform and when I display the main form is is not working??? -- de...