text gets cut in cells

when trying enter text in a cell (say the size of a
letter for example) the text gets cut; only the cut
version is printable, although the formula bar displays
the whole text. How can I get all the text displayed in
the cell (AND printed)?
0
anonymous (74722)

Cells can only print about 1024 characters, even tho they can contain about
32000 characters. In order to print/see more, use a text box.
Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

"D B Kaufmann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> when trying enter text in a cell (say the size of a
> letter for example) the text gets cut; only the cut
> version is printable, although the formula bar displays
> the whole text. How can I get all the text displayed in
> the cell (AND printed)?

You can add a few (lots) of alt-enters in the cell to force linebreaks.

Then you can see more than excel's documented 1024 characters.

Depending on the font you use, you may be able to read it when you print it!

I put this in A1 of a test workbook:
="yyy"&CHAR(10)&REPT(REPT("asdf ",40)&CHAR(10),30)&"xxx"
(set it for wraptext)

Adjusted the columnwidth and rowheight and saw all 6037 characters in the cell
and in printpreview.  (I didn't actually test printing.)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Cell data overruns into adjacent cell(cells).
I have one entry that is drastically longer than the data that follows, and I want it to overrun into the adjacent cells. It used to, but now it won't. I've tried left justification, but it doesn't seem to help. Any ideas? Whether you want or don't want it to run over, you can probably accomplish this by right clicking the cell, column or row and select Format Cells and under Alighment see if Wrap Text is checked. Just a thought. ...

Is it possible to timestamp a cell?
Is there a function available [not a macro] to timestamp a cell when an entry is made into another cell? Regards No, one of the basics of spreadsheet software is that you cannot update the content of another cell with a fixed value when you modify a cell. Only a macro can do it. newman wrote: >Is there a function available [not a macro] to timestamp a cell when an >entry is made into another cell? > >Regards Newman, This formula, in D2, will latch the current date-time in D2 when an entry is made in A2. If A2 is changed, it won't change the time -- it will still show wh...

How is it that a cell can transfer the correct formula, but the w.
When we copy and paste a cell that has a formula in it, it is transferring the row adjusted formula, but the value from the cell that it was copied from. The settings in paste special are all correct. Any suggestions? What's the formula? What's the result? What do you expect? Regards, Peo Sjoblom "kbigs" wrote: > When we copy and paste a cell that has a formula in it, it is transferring > the row adjusted formula, but the value from the cell that it was copied > from. The settings in paste special are all correct. Any suggestions? The formula is a simpl...

ATTN:Paul B
Hi Paul Thanks for your reply - it seems to be what I'm looking for. However I'm no expert with Excel. Could you please tell me how I go about getting the coding you sent into the VB editor as I've never had cause to use this before. Thanks for your help - it's much appreciated. Cheers Paul Bardsley J Right click on the sheet tab, view code, insert the code. Suggest you paste the code as Paul supplied it so you will see color turn red indicating a syntax error caused by splitting a line without using the break character which is space then underscore. ...

Excel time formats to text...
Does anyone know how to change a cell with a time format into text i excel, and get the cell to display the actual time, rather than th 'exel numerical format' of the time......i.e. If I put 12:20 into a cell with a time format, and copy/paste it into blank cell with a text format, it displays 0.513889 instead of 12:20.. I need to save the file as a .txt file to import the data into anothe software package...... at the moment, even though excel displays th time as 12:20, it saves in the numerical format :( I've a file with 14,000 times on it, so re-entering the data isn...

edit number in cell without it changing to text
I recently upgraded from Office 97 to Office 2000. In a worksheet I was previously able to hit F2 to edit a number, hit the + or - to add or subtract from the original number. The revised total would show when I hit enter. Now the number changes to text and shows as 1+1 instead of 2. There needs to be an equal sign preceeding the 1+1. After hitting F2, hit the home key to put the curson on the left of the existing number value in the cell then enter "=1+" so you end up with "=1+1" (e.g.). - Will "rklremote" wrote: > I recently upgraded from Office 9...

Is there any way to get rid of a link in a spreadsheet?
I copied a wooksheet to keep a format but changed the content. The original worksheet was linked to another. The new one is not but I can't get rid of the link. Couldn't find anything in help. Any way to get rid of a link? You need to find the link and delete the reference. To replace the reference in formulae you can either delete the entire formula or use Edit/Replace and replace the file reference with "". (It helps if the link-to file is open as the reference won't include the path. If it is in a named range or formula and there are many the process gets cu...

I can not delete a JUNK mail from my INBOX and Outlook get freeze
I'm using Outlook 2002, and there is a message with subject:Failure Notice, with size 104 MB, that I can not delete, move or copy from my INBOX to other folder, and Oulook is freeze when I try to open or preview this message. How can I do in order to clean this junk message? or What is the error and the resolution procedure? Please send also your answers to luis_cardoza@hotmail.com Thank, Luis Cardoza try holding shift and deleting -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Ou...

Seperating text/Numbers
Fantastic , thanks, that has done the tric -- scottymellot ----------------------------------------------------------------------- scottymelloty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=380 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27112 ...

Counting Blank Cells
H16 I16 J16 $25.2 $33.8 The following formula counts the number of dollar values in H, I and J. =IF(H16="","",IF(M16>0,COUNT(H16:J16))) [answer =2] Without putting $0.00 in cell J16 how would I write a formula to count all three cells? [answer = 3] It depends on the requirement. Will J16 ever contain an actual value of 0? Are the values always positive? Do you want to count J16 even if H and I are empty? >=IF(H16="","",IF(M16>0,COUNT(H16:J16))) You don't have a value_if_false argument de...

would i be able to get my gmail account folder in my outlook 2007?
Hi This is Ravi here. My concern is that i do have gmail account running in my outlook 2007 and the problem is that would i be able to get my all folders which is in my gmail account in my outlook 2007. I have checked all options but unfortunately, i can not find any option where i can get any option to activate my those folders as my gmail account is so important for me. I can say that it's my business. I want to use outlook anyhow. So can you being able to solve this problem? if you can, that would be highly appreciated for me. Thanks Ravi "Ravi Patel" ...

How to stop getting the file save box when running a macro
I am running a macro that take a few minutes. Half way through I get a box saving do you want to save the file whith the normal 'Skip, Cancel' options. How can I stop getting this whilst the macro is running? Thanks It sounds as if Autosave is kicking in. You would need to turn it off while your code is running. Here are some routines I wrote a long time ago for that purpose. I hope they work with your Excel version these days but, fwiw... Sub DisableAutosave() ToggleAutoSave False End Sub Sub EnableAutosave() ToggleAutoSave True End Sub Sub ToggleAutoSave(Setting ...

In Macro: return column value of active cell
Using the VB tools in Excel 2003, am trying to return the column value of the active cell. Any suggestions? Hi Jim col_no = ActiveCell.column Frank Jim wrote: > Using the VB tools in Excel 2003, am trying to return the > column value of the active cell. Any suggestions? Jim, In the immediate window ?ActiveCell.Column -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Jim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:74d001c3e771$35a5e0d0$a001280a@phx.g...

Can I get Button name or Cell Reference
If I have a sheet with 20 buttons (1 on each row) and each button points to the same macro, is it possible for the macro to determine the Row number (Or possibly the Button Name)? Based on the row, the macro will continue updating data on that Row. -- Trefor This is a button from the Forms toolbar? Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim BTN As Button Set BTN = ActiveSheet.Buttons(Application.Caller) MsgBox Application.Caller & vbLf _ & BTN.Name & vbLf _ & BTN.TopLeftCell.Address(0, 0) & vbLf _ & BTN.Caption End Sub A...

can i somehow put two cells into one column or split a column
Data>text to columns to split =A1&B1 in a third cell with concatenate 2 (or more) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Chrono" <Chrono@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E211310C-11BC-423A-92AF-5F0863940E4D@microsoft.com... > ...

When I insert a formula into a cell, it disappears
heres what is happening: the formula is correct, but when i paste it, the value computes to 0, which is not the correct value. However, if i paste it then press F9, the correct calculation appears but the formula disappears, leaving only the computed value. I need the formula to stay and compute the correct value. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated right now. Thanks Maybe it is an array formula, so try committing it with Ctrl-Shift-Enter rather than just Enter. -- --- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "paul" <...

Copy the contents of a range of cells to a single comment (indicator)?
How do you copy the contents of a range of cells to a single comment (indicator)? I have a range of cells ("n12:n14"), and want to copy the contents into a single comment indicator within the activecell. anybody help? Thanks Mik On 29 Apr, 23:11, Mik <mhol...@safetysystemsuk.com> wrote: > How do you copy the contents of a range of cells to a single comment > (indicator)? > > I have a range of cells ("n12:n14"), and want to copy the contents > into a single comment indicator within the activecell. > > anybody help? > > ...

Display value of a VBA variable inside a cell
Hi, I am using Excel 2007. I have created a VBA module called MyModule. Inside this module, I have defined a public variable as follows: Public blnMyBoolean As Boolean Next, I created a Function to return the value of this variable as follows: Public Function GetMyBoolean() As Boolean GetMyBoolean = blnMyBoolean End Function Next, I used my function as a formula for a cell on one of my worksheets as follows: =GetMyBoolean() The formula in this cell works, but it does not update automatically. If my code changes the value of blnMyBoolean, the only way I can s...

How can get a single total for an item that appears many times in a Workbook?
I have a number of Workbooks, each containing a single Worksheet. Each WS contains similar data, i.e. uses the same column headings, but is of variable length. Column C in each WS is 'Location'(L1 - Lx). Column J in each WS is 'Number of Widgets' (1 - N). An L can appear several times in a WS, but not all Ls necessarily appear in all WSs. Every appearance of a L in a WS has a corresponding NoWs. I want to be able to sum the NoWs for each L in each WS, and get a single total for number of NoWs for each L in a WS. Thus far I have used '=SUMIF(C$2:C$60,C2,J$2;J$60)'...

Bold and Bluetooth keyboard short cuts in Entourage
Microsoft Entourage 2004 11.40 on PowerPC iMac under OSX 10.4.11 I think CMD B should turn on Bold in Entourage but it seems that the Bluetooth driver has commandeered this command. I don't use Bluetooth but do use Bold Is there any way of letting this command get through the OS to Entourage? Bob J. ...

identify similar cell values
I have a column in a spreasheet which has about 10000 values. I jus want to identify cells which have similar values. For eg if 1 0r mor cells have the same value, I would like to identify those cells. Wha function should I be using. Thanks in advance -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, You might want to consider using a helper column. For instance if your data is all in column I, insert a helper column in J and copy this formula down in column J. =IF(COUNTIF(I$1:I1,I1)=1,"Unique","Duplicate") See also Chip Pearson's website for more info: http:...

Search cells with many numbers a few numbers?
In Excel, I'd like to search cells which have many numbers in each, they are separated by spaces. I'd like to look in the cells for a few numbers. The logic statements do not seem to work. How do I do this? ...

Slideshow view partially cut off
The last couple of days, I've been using a new projector to display a ppt in a slideshow view. For the first time ever, the projector cut off a sliver along the left side and top. I wasn't sure how to deal with this; I just assumed that the slideshow was a fullscreen view (like media players and videos), and couldn't be cut off. Since I've never had problems with ppt displaying like this, I can only assume that its a hardware/projector problem, but is there anything I can do within Powerpoint or on my own laptop (that is pushing the image onto the projector), to make ...

Splitting text cells without a common denominator
I have a list that contains various names that I need to simplify. e.g. "Best Business Company Limited" shortens to Best Business. However, I also have names that start "A B Best Business" (shorten to A B Best), or "Best A B Business" (Best A B). Does anyone have any suggestions please. Hi don't think this is possible as you don't have a rule which could be implemented in a program. What is the logic why you want to skip 'Buisness' in the second example? If you have a list of all words which could e omitted then this is possible. e.g. delet...

Get valid values for an element from its schema
How can one get a list of enumeration values for a given element in an XML schema? I have been looking at the Schema Object Model, but I'm making very little headway. Can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction? Specifically, I am using Actions Pane to assist in creating a WordML document. For elements with enumerated values, I want to provide the user with the list of valid values from the schema. For example, if I have an element defined like this: <xs:element name="distribtype"> <xs:simpleType> <xs:restriction base="xs:token"> <...