Text file from mainframe system

We are working on extracting a data file from an IBM
mainframe system to merge it into a .csv Excel file.  The
options for saving the file are either ASCII or carriage-
return indicator at the end of each line.  What is Excel
looking for at the end of each line for it to merge the
data into the spreadsheet correctly?  We have tried both
options and it merges all info into one row.
0
LGBeach8 (2)

How are you merging your data into excel?

For most DOS/windows programs, the end of line character is crlf
(carriage-return/Line-feed).  It's really two different characters (hex 0D,
followed by hex 0A).

For lots of Unix systems (and Mac's), the end of line character is just the
linefeed (x0A).

excel has no trouble with the DOS/Windows version.  So I created a text file
(test.txt (and later test.csv) with just the linefeeds at the end of the line.

Excel respected all my tests--both when I did File|open and Data|import external
data.

But I do have a couple of routines at work where I get data from a Unix box and
open the file as a text file and open it to read with something like:

Open MyFileName For Input As #filenum

That doesn't like the Unix/Mac linefeeds.

If that's what you're doing, I've found the easiest thing to do is to just use
another program that converts unix style to dos style.  (I use uddu.zip (it
contains a command line utility for each direction).  I think I found it at
simtel.com.)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Percentage calculation on text columns
I have a sheet that represents exam candidates, their grades over 3 assignments with an average score, in the final COLUMN there is an indication of whether they have passed or failed in the format "Pass" "Fail". I need a formula that will count the overall group and give a percentage of the group that has failed. Can anyone help? -- Connor ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Connor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27970 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=4...

Exchange 2003 System Manager Server Modified Date Meaning
Hi, I am looking for some info on the Exchange 2003 system manager server property page. It shows in the right hand colum all the servers and service packs and the furthest right says "modified date" Could some one please eleborate on what this actually means? Thanks On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 06:20:28 -0800, Darrel <Darrel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I am looking for some info on the Exchange 2003 system manager server >property page. It shows in the right hand colum all the servers and service >packs and the furthest right says "modified d...

How do I group text to graphic?
In my document I'm trying to embed a graphic into the text. How do I do this to where when I delete text before the graphic it moves with text instead of me having to redo embedding? BeanieBrain <BeanieBrain@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > In my document I'm trying to embed a graphic into the text. How do I > do this to where when I delete text before the graphic it moves with > text instead of me having to redo embedding? Which version of Publisher are you using? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher i'm using both 2000 and...

Conditional Opening of Excel file
Hi, I have a complex workbook that relies on various SUMIF's from othe reference workbooks. If these aren't open, then obviously the formula don't work. As it's for someone else; I want a piece of VB so that when they *open the main workbook, it checks to see if the ref file is open, and i not, it automatically opens it for them. A bit like this sub worksheetopen '(Not sure where this should go in parent book) if workbook("Referencefile.xls") is NOT open then workbook("referencefile.xls").open endif endsub Any ideas folks?:confused -- Message p...

corrupt OTM file/project
hi I have rpeivously posted her asking about how to recover the code from an OTM file that won't start in Outlook VB editor. To be honest I am activelly looking for a solution since there was a lot of code in it, and without any notice, the VB editor stopped working.� Currently I am very disappointed at MS because of their lack of support for this kind of problem. We, in our company, are seriouslly reconsidering our investment in MS products that we had palnned for the near future and honestly I do not know what to think or expect. Does anyone know a way to repair or retrieve cod...

RE: System Mailbox
Greetings, Can someone tell me if there is a way to access the 'System' mailbox that shows up under >First Storage Group>Mailboxes, where all the user mailboxes are? thx B I believe MFCMapi will help you. "Boris the Spider" wrote: > Greetings, > > Can someone tell me if there is a way to access the 'System' mailbox that > shows up under >First Storage Group>Mailboxes, where all the user mailboxes > are? > > thx > > B > > > ...

Can an Excel file be converted into Visio?
Does anyone know if this is even possible? Is there a converter pack or a website that would illustrate this process? Thanks, Jim ...

Get the file path from Textbox
hello i want to get the path of file from textbox and then attach it to already opened window(it would be a Plugin)i am unable to get is it possible i give file path in Textbox and on clicking a button on form say "Attach it",it attacch file on mail window? thanks -adnan -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com ...

How to concatenate multiple values in text box
I'm trying to code a control source for a text box to concatenate and handle various possible values. There are three fields I need to handle: For example, if the values for the three fields are ... Person_Relation = "Parent" Person_Relation_Other = <NULL> Person_Relation_Type = "Biological" .... my text box should show: Parent :Biological; (The ":" and ";" will be replaced by "(" and ")" but for now it's easier to use something other than parentheses for testing.) If instead the values for the three fields are...

How can I type more than one line of text into a cell in Excel?
I am using Excel to organize contact information, names, addresses, phone numbers, etc. I would like all of this information in one cell and in the standard format of: name address phone etc. I do not know how to make Excel accept more than one line of text, unless I cut and paste it from a Word document. Could someone please tell me how to format the cells so that more than one line of text can be accepted in a cell? Hi use ALT+ENTER for inserting line breaks -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "watermark" <watermark@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsb...

Open XML File Converter
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Any word on an update to this converter that resolves the "There is not enough memory or disk space to convert this document" bug on SL? I've seen it reported elsewhere so I'm assuming it's a known issue, but can't find any relevant info here. Thanks. On 11/2/09 2:33 PM, in article 59b7fd3a.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "elliotcolbert@officeformac.com" <elliotcolbert@officeformac.com> wrote: > Any word on an update to this converter that resolves the "There is not e...

Need to upgrade CRM but only have MSCRM database file
Does anybody have any suggestions how to upgrade crm 1.2 to crm 3.0 when all you have is the MSCRM and the METADATA database files from the crm 1.2 install? I assume you mean you have lost the active directory it was installed on with version 1.2? In this case you would be forced to extract data out of these databases with code and import to a new CRM ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowechizek.com/microsoft "John Steskal" <JohnSteskal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E2FC01F-E422-49CD-A808-66D5A02B4E59@...

Visual Studio can't open resource file in Resource View after IDE crash
Hello, I have a strange problem with Visual Studio .NET 2003, I hope that this is the appropriate newsgroup. After adding an icon resource to my project, Visual Studio crashed, and after restarting it, it was unable to open my project's resource file in the resource view pane. It displays the name of the rc file, but when I click the "+" beside it to open the resources, nothing happens, and the "+" disappears. There is no error message. Restarting Visual Studio and rebuilding my project didn't help. I can open all other projects' resource files without problem...

File Corruption?
I got a Microsoft Money 2005 "internal error" message, which shuts down the program every time I tried to generate the "Tax-related transaction" report and started shutting down when I accessed "Help" (program, including "help" and other reports had been working fine). MS support said it was a program file problem and to reinstall or upgrade to Money 2006 (at my suggestion as I was considering it anyway). I upgraded to 2006 nd continue to experience the same problem with the tax-related transaction and other reports. MS support now says that it ...

XML mapping file
Guys, I am programming c# and need some source code that works like a mapper? Any ideas where is the best place to find something close to this already implemented? E.g. I need to map a number of fields. Instrumentname IrSwap -> SWAP FXoption -> FXOPT So I would like to store this in an XML file and use in my C# code. One XML file for each field to map.. Regards, Lars Schouw ...

File Conversion
I use Money to run my small leasing company. My accountant does my company's financial reports and tax returns. He likes to use Quick Books and doesn't know anything about Money. He wants me to convert to Quick Books. Can I convert my Money file to Quicken which he then might be able to open in Quick Books? Greg Quicken does not convert Money files........ You can use the export/import features. Bob "Greg Robinson" <grobinson@custommaterials.com> wrote in message news:00fb01c35e9e$9dcbf8e0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I use Money to run my small leasing compan...

Saving A File Name Of A Cell
I am currently running Excel 2003. I have 2 questions that I reall hope someone could help with. Actually it is a 2 part question, dealing for me with the same area. What I am looking to do is create a button which I understand how t do, but what I would want this button to do is first look at a specifi cell to get a name. Once it has the name, save the file off under thi name. So let's say I have cell A1 and the value is "RadicalROM" eventhough my current file name is "Testing" it would do a save a "RadicalROM". Ok that is the first part. The second pa...

Start Process from Isolated Storage File
Hi, ..NET gurus, if I'm approaching this the wrong way, your suggestions are welcome. I am creating an xml file and an xslt and usint those to create an html file and storing them all in Isolated Storage. I can access them all as streams, however, I want to be able to open the resulting html file in a browser in order to print the page. I want to use the System.Diagnostics.Process to open it, however, the StartInfo.FileName property expects the name of a file. The IsolatedStorageFileStream object has a deprecated Handle property and no way to obtain the file name (and its ...

Assign number value to a field with text in it?
Is this possible to do? I want a cell to have a number assigned to it, but display text in the cell, so I can use the cell in a mathmatical formula. I'm using Excel 2003 to track how many seats I have left in each conference room. I want the name of a room to equal a number. For example: I want the text "Executive Room A" to equal 105 Does anyone know a way to do this with out putting them in different fields. -Sharon --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You may want to use Help to learn about VLOOKUP. You can make a table on say Sheet2 with the room names a...

old MS Publisher files
How do I open an old file of MS Publisher 95 in MS Publisher 98? I simple cannot open this file. Are you certain it is a 95 file? Did someone send it to you? If you send the file to me I will convert it to 98 mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Lynn" <Lynn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55F530FC-99A7-4DA9-B0BC-1BA148D405D4@microsoft.com... > How do I open an old file of MS Publisher 95 in MS Publisher 98? I simple > cannot open this file. Helly M...

Macro to open file
How would I write a macro to open the most recent excel or xml file within a folder? I have file names that start with the same first five letters, but the end of the file name changes according to the date of the file. On a daily basis, my macro needs to open the most recent file created in a specified folder. -- Thank you, Jodie Hi Jodie Give this a try. It will open the most recent Excel file in a specified folder. Change path to suit. Take care Marcus Option Explicit Const XLFILE_FOLDER = "C:\" 'Change to suit Sub RecentXLFile() Dim fs As ...

File Sharing Problems
Can anyone explain this error/information message to me? - "The file 'filename.xls' may have been changed by another user since you last saved it. In that case, what do you want to do?" Options are to Save a Copy or Overwrite Changes. The file is not being shared with anyone else - it comes up whenever making general saves in Excel. -THANKS! Hi try deleting all files in your TEMP directory, reboot your computer and try again -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Kristi - Skills Group" <KristiSkillsGroup@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im...

How do you stop text size increasing in email replies?
I am a new Outlook user and finding it rather frustrating that every time I reply to an email and whenever the recipient responds to me, the text size in each email going back in the email trail gets larger and larger. Does anyone know how to stop this from happening? ...

Series including text possible?
Is there a better way to create a "series" that is based on characters as well as digits than what I'm doing below? I created 3 columns. I put the text in one, the digits in the second that I could apply the series to, with the 3rd column holding a ":". But when I paste into the text file, I have tabs separating the 3 columsn where I was hoping for no space. So this here - NAQAHDAH 01 : NAQAHDAH 02 : NAQAHDAH 03 : should paste like this - NAQAHD6H01: NAQAHDAH02: NAQAHDAH03: NAQAHDAH04: NAQAHDAH05: NAQAHDAH06: NAQAHDAH07: NAQAHDAH08: NAQAHDAH09 Is there perhaps a w...

ADO recordset command text vs command
Hi all, I've noticed a slight difference between the way recordset command text works vs commands themselves where SP calls are concerned. We have many calls to SP which also include input and output parameters. When examining a SQL Server trace, for example, the difference is, that we can specify command text to an ADO recordset, which includes input parameter names. However, the ADO command object does not appear to specify any parameter names, although it does support return of output parameters. Is there a way for the ADO command object to also specify the parameter names? This would ...