text date to date format

I have column filled with:
'Apr  3 2005  4:37PM

And I need to change it to:
04/03/05 4:37PM

How do I get a textual date column into a sortable date/time column?  I'm
having problems because it sorts everything by alpha then numeric.  For
example, I have "Apr 15, 2005" before "Aug 10, 2003".  I need to get these
sorted by year, month, day...not alphabetically.  Thanks in advance for your
help!
0
Kyli (2)

you are right: the filter is not a time but a alpha sort

  you may change the cell format or copy the value in an other cell and
put the new format in the new column. Like YYYY-MM-DD : so the alpha
sorting will be the same than the calendar sorting !

Hi.  Do you know how I can grab the textual date and convert it to YYYY-MM-DD
format in a new column?
Thanks again.

"abcd" wrote:

> you are right: the filter is not a time but a alpha sort
>
>   you may change the cell format or copy the value in an other cell and
> put the new format in the new column. Like YYYY-MM-DD : so the alpha
> sorting will be the same than the calendar sorting !

0
Kyli (2)
7/15/2005 11:23:01 PM
Kyli,

The apostrophe (') at the beginning signals Excel that it's text, not a
date, thus it's being sorted alphabetically, not chronologically by date.
Also, there's no comma after Apr 3, which Excel needs to recognize it's a
date.  And there needs to be a space between 4:37 and PM.  Are they all like
this?  How many are there?
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Kyli" <Kyli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have column filled with:
> 'Apr  3 2005  4:37PM
>
> And I need to change it to:
> 04/03/05 4:37PM
>
> How do I get a textual date column into a sortable date/time column?  I'm
> having problems because it sorts everything by alpha then numeric.  For
> example, I have "Apr 15, 2005" before "Aug 10, 2003".  I need to get these
> sorted by year, month, day...not alphabetically.  Thanks in advance for
> your
> help!

0
someone798 (944)
7/16/2005 2:55:04 AM
Maybe you can try this (Edit|Undo if it doesn't work).

Select your range

Edit|Replace
what:  (space)200
with:  ,(space)200
replace all

If you have dates in the 1900's you'll have to do the equivalent for them.

Then one more time (maybe twice):

Edit|replace
what:  PM
with:  (space)PM
replace all

And the same for AM.

When I did this, excel saw the cells as dates/times and I could format them the
way I wanted--but the sorts were by dates.

--

Dave Peterson
0
> Hi.  Do you know how I can grab the textual date and convert it to YYYY-MM-DD
> format in a new column?

  The DATE function will try to convert any entry to a date format
(maybe string to date) Then just 1- choose a date format YYYY-MM-DD in
the cell
  OR 2- convert it again to a new string in the new format with the
function TEXT( date ; "YYYY-MM-DD")

Oldest date for Duplicate Cust. #

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Dates #9

Qrp Date functions

Fractions Number format

date tracking

parameter for text

Short time vs short date

Date Calculation

date modified

Date function quit working

Date format 04-11-06

Excel Text Function (Right, Left)

Formatting in CSV
Hi I create a Comma Separated Value file (csv) from my VB application, then open that file with Excel. Excel recognises the commas, and splits the records into separate fields as expected. Can I set properties for rows or columns or cells ? Like bolding, or font size, etc. Thanks Robert -- RobertLees ------------------------------------------------------------------------ RobertLees's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26580 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=486488 Yes. Even though the .csv file contains no fo...

How to Identify Records with Overlapping Dates
I need to be able to systematically identify any instance where there are overlapping date ranges in a data set. I need to pull records like those listed below out of a larger data set. I previously posted a question similar to this and was advised to pull the same table in a query, match on Member Number, and qualify that the product code from TableA did not match product code in TableA_1 where the Begin Date TableA was < Term date TableA_1 and TableA_1 Begin Date < TableA End Date. Which worked great for me finding overlapping records where the product was different, bu...

Format List Box!

How can I sum only amounts that are in BOLD format within a column
Hi! I need to get a total from a worksheet that has hundreds of amounts in it. However, I only need the total of the amounts that were marked with have BOLD font. Please help me I don't have much experience with EXCEL. Thank you very much! W a n d a try this for column D Sub sumbold() x = Cells(Rows.Count, "d").End(xlUp).Row For Each c In Range(Cells(2, 4), Cells(x, 4)) If c.Font.Bold Then mysum = mysum + c Next MsgBox mysum End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Wanda" <Wanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89A268A6-...

Outlook 2003
Hi Is it possible to order the deleted items by date of deletion in outlook 2003? Many thanks Lee Lee Atkinson <leeatkinsonlincs@hotmail.com> wrote: > Is it possible to order the deleted items by date of deletion in > outlook 2003? Use the Field Chooser to add the Modified time to the Deleted Items folder header bar (the one that says "From", "Subject", "Received", etc. and sort on that time. Deleting an item is a modification, so I would expect the modified date to be affected, giving you the most accurate value of the item's deleted time....

Hi All, I'm creating a form that allows the user to pick a txt file (dialog) and then display the path and contents on the form. The code has been cobbled together as I found the pieces that worked, so bear with. I got the file picker working and displaying the file name on the form, but the file contents won't display. I had a feeling the problem had to do with importing a namespace (see the error in the code when I tried "Imports System.IO") or with a missing reference. Using Access 2003. References: VB for Apps, MS Access 11 Obj Lib, OLE Auto, MS V...