Temporary Excel files.

Hi,
  does anyone know where Excel stores its temp files to managing
multiple  opened copies of the same workbook?
Word stores its lock files in same directory of the opened document, but
Excel?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Alex

On a single user (non-networked pc), excel will put a few files in your windows
temp folder.

But I think it does more than just that.  (Just guessing!)  When the workbook is
on a network, excel/windows is smart enough to be able to tell that second
person the the file is in use.

If the only indicator were on the first user's temp file, then the second person
would never see those files.

I know that sometimes when excel locks a workbook that's stored on a network
drive (and subsequently crashes), then sometimes the only way to free that file
is to reboot the server.

But I'm not smart enough to know how excel/windows does it.  I've looked for
extra files, but never found any.  I'm not sure how files are locked by the
operating system in general.

I guess my real response is what do you want to do with those files anyway?  The
only thing I've ever done is to delete them (with excel closed) if excel crashed
and the file stayed locked.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Excel 2003 Problem
I had office 2003 installed in a system running XP Professional. I login to the domain with the domain user name and password and was able to work with my office. The other day i changed my domain machine but with the same domain name. But when i log in back with the domain user name i have problems with the the office suite. Outlook doesn't open at all. Office and excel asks the name when u open the document or excel sheet every time. I couldnt find a soultion. I even reinstalled the office suite, now i am able to open the outlook , word and excel, but each time a small window ope...

Toolbar Specific to a Workbook file
Hi, I have customized toolbar built applicable only to a specific workbook file. I attached that toolbar to the workbook, by clicking Attach (simple enough I thought) but how come when I open completely unrelated workbook, I still see that custom toolbar?? Is there any other way around this, to have specific toolbar open only on a specific workbook file? Or is Attach the only way to do this? What am I doing wrong? Any thoughts Ideas on this? You are best off creating the toolbar on workbook open then deleting on close or de-activate. See Debra Dalgleish's site for creating a t...

Tutorial On Using Windows Vista Compressed Files Capabilities
Where can I find a link or tutorial on using Windows Vista's Compressed Files Capabilities? I am of need to create several Zipped Compressed Files. I am not interested in third party software. Thank you Eddy. Very simple - Right click the file ( or Files ) and from the context menu place your pointer over "Send To". From the secondary menu choose "Compressed (Zipped) File". "Eddy" <Eddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E75733F-4757-4253-9277-BC15273789C7@microsoft.com... > Where can I find a link or tutorial on usi...

downloading excel and word
i would like to download microsoft excel and word to my pc, and i search download sites and i could not find any? i would like to download for free. anyone can help me on this thank you Sorry mate, You can't have them for free, they are commercial products sold at a price (or noone would have heard of Bill Gates!). Even if you managed to get them for free, it would be illegal!!! There's other stuff out there you can get for free, like Open Office, that will do most of what Excel and Word do, at least for the average user (and with file compatibility). Nikos "yaman" <...

Stock prices in Excel?
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Hi Folks, Can I set up excel so that it downloads and displays the current stock price for a certain stock every time I open the document or refresh? I want to use my own workbook, and I'm looking for a free solution, although I might consider an inexpensive add-on. Thanks!! Yes, Excel will do that. Pop over to the Excel forum and they will explain how: https://www.microsoft.com/mac/help.mspx?product=Excel&app=1 On 30/03/08 6:22 AM, in article ee969b4.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "graybell@officeformac...

Logarithmic graphs in Excel
Hello! I have some Excel data that lists the United States' Gross Domestic Product for each year from 1890 to 2000. The data looks like this: 1890 260.42 1891 271.87 1892 298.51 .... 1998 8495.65 1999 8848.225 2000 9156.6 I wanted to turn this data into a groovy looking line graph, so I tried using Excel's built-in Chart Wizard, but the resulting graph looks WAY too much like an exponential curve (not to mention the fact that it really doesn't all that good), so I want to turn it into a logarithmic graph. How can I accomplish this? Double click the Y axis, and on the Sca...

Help for Excel Chart problem
Hi I have a little problem. I have to prepare audience profile for some TV Channels using dimensions age, sex, monthly income and education. I want to combine metric - age and income in one chart and non metric - sex and education in other. So I dont know which chart to use. I think the most appropriate is the bubble chart (more I have the penetration as a bubble size). But I cannot think how to dispose the dimensions and data. Example: Channel 1 Age 12-18 30 % 19-34 20% 35-64 35% 64+ 15% Sex Male - 48% Female - 52% So I need to positioning this channel and compare with ot...

Printing Doubel-sided in Excel
Has anyone experienced issues attempting to print double-sided in Excel using a Canon IR C3220 (PS3 driver) or is this a feature not supported by Excel. Hi Anthony This is a printer setting. If your printer have this option it must work Another option is to do it with code http://www.rondebruin.nl/print.htm#odd -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Anthony Spartalis" <anthony_spartalis@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ORn5khavFHA.2556@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Has anyone experienced issues attempting to print double-sided in Excel using a Canon IR ...

Big problem with Excel 97
Excel 97 on Windows NT 4.0 SP6 After I create a new file and save it, it takes a very long time (about 30 seconds) to close the file. I am working with lots of Excel files and it's intolerable. Please help me with this. Thanks. ...

Total in every Page in Print-out in Excel
Is there a possibility that automatic page total be included in th foote -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi This is a builtin feature in Excel since...some time! See View, Header and Footer You should come up with &[Pages] in your footer HTH Cordially Pascal "elmergev >" <<elmergev.18r8a3@excelforum-nospam.com> a �crit dans le message de news:elmergev.18r8a3@excelforum-nospam.com... > Is there a possibility that automatic page total be included in the > footer > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > ...

Change Needed
I have a neat VB code that I use in Excel. This code imports data from a text file into columns in an excel spreadsheet. The excel file has two worksheets, one is to input the .txt filename with a button for the VB code to do it's magic and convert everything I have in the text file, which usually has the same layout (in each txt file) in terms of what data I want columnized in excel. The code goes as follows.... Sub ConvertFile() Dim LCStart As Long Dim IQStart As Long Dim Lat1Start As Long Dim Lon1Start As Long Dim Lat2Start As Long Dim Lon2Start As Long Dim NbmesStart As Long Dim...

file assoiation.
lately when I try to open a file in windows mail movie, picture, PowerPoint or any attachment. I get a message there is no association for this and to make one. I have went to control panel to set an association but they are already associated with the programs. Wonder what has happened. Any suggestions? Hal Pryor ...

"Open With" issue when right-clicking a file
When I right-click on a GIF image (or mp4 file--that's another example) and select "Open With," QuickTime Player appears twice! Listed as choices are Internet Explorer, QuickTime Player, Paint, MS Digital Image Suite, QuickTime Player (again!), Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, and Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album 5. What could be wrong, and how can I fix it? Thanks and Happy New Year. If QuickTime is the default in both cases, simply open QT and deselect these file types, as applicable. You'll find this option in the Preferences section. "saganized" &l...

Excel help #3
Hi, Two questions. First is, when performing a Pivot Table, is there a way of changing the source so that when you produce a pivot table, the months are in order. And, when you concatenate and join a surname and first name together, how do you then separate them ? Thanks "Gary Newman" <gary.newman@adecco.co.uk> wrote in message news:09f501c39882$44084930$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Two questions. > First is, when performing a Pivot Table, is there a way of > changing the source so that when you produce a pivot > table, the months are in order. > &g...

PowerPoint 2007 with EXCEL Chart
Good afternoon, Thanks in advance. I hope I am in the correct group since this is both an Excel and PPT question - I created a Spreadsheet with 10 tabs, on each tab there is one fairly simple chart with a secondary axis that show a % for one column. I have the chart with format looking correct in Excel, and copy / paste to a corresponding slide in ppt. Sometime, not all of the time the format changes especially on the secondary axis, it goes to a decimal value. A lot of the time the data labels will be missing from the columns as well. Not sure what I am missing, USUALLY ...

pst file question Outlook 2002
Hi, If I export the personal folder pst file, Outlook 2002, to a folder on my slave drive, and then uninstall OL2002, and then reboot, and then re-install OL2002, and then use the import routine for the exported pst file, will all my stuff be back? The reason for this is my system hangs when I close it, and once I got an error fm OL2002 about it so I'm thining it may be causing the problem, but I don't want to uninstall/reinstall if I run the risk of loosing all my personal folders, and the info in my appointment calender, etc. TIA A You wouldn't lose your mail, contacts, ca...

computer updated lost all old emails and files on outlook
recently had my computer cleaned of viruses and updated with new programs including a newer version of outlook .. seem to have lost all my files containing my emails - 6 years !!!.. Need to know if they are stored on computer or via a server ,.. How do iget them back .. please help !!!!! thanks Ashley "Ashley marshall" <Ashley marshall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD5B4FAA-C552-44F7-B1F9-B89376F80D9A@microsoft.com... > recently had my computer cleaned of viruses and updated with new programs > including a newer version of outlook...

Image and File Conversion Problem
When I convert my poster file to a PDF for pre-press the file created does not include the hi-res photo image I included in the design. It includes all other graphic elements, text boxes, etc. Not sure what to do. Anybody who has had this issue or has a reccomendation would be greatly appreciated. ...

Saved file to disk and uploaded on another pc so how do i take of.
i saved a file to a disk, but it will only open in the "read only" format. How do I get it to open the file without it being read only? Copy it to your hard drive, right-click the file, properties, clear read only. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Geez" <Geez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:755E6A08-1232-4D05-87CA-19849E03B84D@microsoft.com... >i saved a file to a disk, but it will only open in the "read only" format. > How do I get it to open the file witho...

MYOB to Excel
Is there an Excel expert out there that also knows MYOB? I am trying to produce CATEGORY reports in the MYOB program that will show the previous year's details alongside the Current Year's Selected Period and Year To Date columns. ie The column headings should be: Account# Account Name Selected Period Year To Date Last Year's Selected Period Last Year's Year To Date. MYOB does export to Excel but MYOB can't produce such a report and I wonder if someone has already produced a workbook that would manipulate the exported data to produce a report in the manner descri...

using data from ascii file?
I know how to get my formulas to pull data from another workbook... but what if I want it to pull from an ascii, comma-delimited file? Then I am not sure if it can recognize columns/rows? Suggestions? Thanks- -- Nicki Taylor Bring the .csv file into excel and save it as a .xls file. Then use that in your formula. NTaylor wrote: > > I know how to get my formulas to pull data from another workbook... but what > if I want it to pull from an ascii, comma-delimited file? Then I am not sure > if it can recognize columns/rows? Suggestions? Thanks- > -- > Nicki Taylor ...

Benefits of Using Excel for Accounting
Hello � What are the benefits of using Excel for accounting purpose? What ar the remarkable features will help me in accounting? Thank you, Kat -- ilovetak ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ilovetako's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2760 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47123 You may be better served by buying software specifically intended for accounting. On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:08:36 -0500, ilovetako <ilovetako.1w1fqb_1127858703.7289@excelforum-nospam.com> wr...

Excel Postcode list to map
Hi, Sorry if you've already had this on the "misc" group but no reply:- I have a list of UK Postcodes in a Spread Sheet in Column A, and a List of Date/Times in Column B. I'd like to plot these on a map so that lines are drawn to show show the route in time order. Does anyone know of an excel addon, programme or website that will allow me to do this from a worksheet? -- Rich http://www.rhodes-pefkos.co.uk http://www.rhodes-lardos.co.uk http://www.rhodes-kolymbia.co.uk "Rich" <rich@richdavies.com> wrote in message news:0HhHo.35263$sK1.32443@newsfe21.i...

Excel 2002
When I open a one of my files it opens two files of the same name but with a different number on the end. E.G. the file name is "Past Players:1" and the other file name is Past Player:2, the original name is Past Players without the number. At the moment I have downloaded the trial of 2007 where the problem has been fixed, but at the end of the trial I don't want to pay for 2007 as I am a pensioner and can't afford the upgrade. You have somehow enable a New Window view. In XL 2003 this if done with Window | New Window In XL2007 it is done with New Window on the View t...

accessing files in subfolders
Do I need to use AfxGetAppName() when files in different, or even the same, project subfolders are accessing each other? E.g., in myDirectory\ogg\ogg.h, #include <ogg/os_types.h> does not work; but #include <myDirectory/ogg/ogg/os_types.h> seems to work fine If you are doing complex includes like this, you need to rethink what you are doing. Complex directory structures like this break horribly when the project moves around. You should not be using <> for user-defined includes; use "". Mostly these problems stem from the horrible design of how #includ...