Table lookup using multiple qualifiers

I asked this question in a previous post but it kind of fizzled.  I am trying
to return values from a table using two qualifiers to obtain the data.

          A           B              C
1      SIZE     LENGTH    STRENGTH
2        .5         1/2           100
3        .5         3/4           150
4        .75       1/2           150
5        .75       3/4           200

Cell D6 is an input cell for "size" (Example = "1/2")
Cell D7 is an input cell for "strength" (Example = "138"
Cell D8 is the resultant lookup

I want to do a vlookup(?) that finds the correct length based upon BOTH
size (D6) AND strength (D7). Although the size will be an exact match, the
strength will not be an exact match but must equal or exceed the input
strength.

I was given the following formula to try but it only works when there is an
exact match for "strength"...

=INDEX(B2:B20,MATCH(D6&D7,A2:A20&C2:C20,0))
which is an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get!

TechMGR (9)

Try this *array* formula:

=INDEX(B2:B20,MATCH(1,(A2:A20=D6)*(C2:C20>=D7),0))
--
Array formulas are entered using CSE, <Ctrl> <Shift> <Enter>, instead of the
regular <Enter>, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

RD

"TechMGR" <TechMGR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I asked this question in a previous post but it kind of fizzled.  I am
trying
> to return values from a table using two qualifiers to obtain the data.
>
>           A           B              C
> 1      SIZE     LENGTH    STRENGTH
> 2        .5         1/2           100
> 3        .5         3/4           150
> 4        .75       1/2           150
> 5        .75       3/4           200
>
> Cell D6 is an input cell for "size" (Example = "1/2")
> Cell D7 is an input cell for "strength" (Example = "138"
> Cell D8 is the resultant lookup
>
> I want to do a vlookup(?) that finds the correct length based upon BOTH
> size (D6) AND strength (D7). Although the size will be an exact match, the
> strength will not be an exact match but must equal or exceed the input
> strength.
>
> I was given the following formula to try but it only works when there is
an
> exact match for "strength"...
>
> =INDEX(B2:B20,MATCH(D6&D7,A2:A20&C2:C20,0))
> which is an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help I can get!

ragdyer1 (4060)

Bizarre Sales Tax Table Issue
I have four taxes set up in my system, and confirmed in the TAX table in the database: ID Description Rate 1 Sales Tax 0% 2 VAT 15% 3 VAT-EX 0% 4 VAT-ZR 0% If I create a new item, and select VAT, then check the ITEM table, the TaxID = 3 for that item. You would think that the system would apply the VAT-EX taxation on the item. However, when i do a transaction, it puts the 15% rate on the item and everything seems work out okay, including the reports, which show that VAT was collected. The TransactionEntry table has the proper sales ...

count a pair of numbers in row in a table
Hello, my question is: we have the following table: 34 29 13 15 7 15 8 40 11 24 13 6 8 21 38 9 17 23 1 4 22 38 42 37 16 1 18 11 37 41 5 42 18 33 45 9 1 21 41 15 41 1 27 23 42 23 29 7 38 18 42 12 26 34 36 and this one in another sheet 1 2 3 1 2 3 I want to fill the second table with the sum of how many times the numbers if each row and column appear in the same row in the first table. for example: how many time the numbers 2 and 3 appear together in the same row on the first table Nik, Assume t...

Use Copied Outlook PST file as default...How?
If I copy a PST file on my PC, how can I configure my Laptop Outlook to use that copied file as its default. Is it possible to copy new Defined Views in Contacts from one computer to another. Dmahanay <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > If I copy a PST file on my PC, how can I configure my > Laptop Outlook to use that copied file as its default. Outlook version? > Is it possible to copy new Defined Views in Contacts from > one computer to another. I think views are registry items and not kept in the PST. -- Brian Tillman My outlook version is 2002. >--...

Can we use WINCE 6.0 R2 or R3 to build Windows Phone OS Image??
Hi, Can we use WINCE 6.0 R2 or R3 platform builder to build Windows Phone OS Image?? If yes Which option I need to select while building the OS Image?? Since the Windows Phone 7 core is Windoes CE 6.0.I am curious to know whether Windows Phone 7 OS Image can be built using Platform builder. TIA, Nithin On 29 June, 10:29, Nithin <nithin.papd...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Can we use WINCE 6.0 R2 or R3 platform builder to build Windows Phone > OS Image?? > > If yes Which option I need to select while building the OS Image?? > > Since the Win...

Fire a Workflow using a Callout
Hi, I would like to fire a WorkFlow using a callout. I got problems to do that. Can you tell me how I can do that? I tried it like that: CrmService.ExecuteWFProcessRequest wf = new LetterSalutation.CrmService.ExecuteWFProcessRequest(); wf.ProcessId = GetWorkflowProcessId(workflowName, entityContext); myService.Execute(wf); But I get an error: Server was unable to process request. Can you help me? Simon ...

Add the same field twice to a pivot table but filter one of them?
In my datasheet, I have a "cost" column and a "date" column so each cost has an associated date. In my pivot table, I've added the "cost" as a field, which shows the total and this is fine. However, I'd like to add the "cost" as a field again and this time selecting which dates to include in the cost number so that I have two cost fields side by side. Is something like this possible? Hi That is not possible in the same PT. You will need to set up a second PT based upon the same data set as the first but do NOT use the same Pivot Cache to save ...

how to route messages using the internet and not the VPN c
Hi, we are currently in the process of evaluating exchange 2003 in the past we used 3rd party POP3 mail servers for each office, so each office also had it's own MX record no problem that way..BUT now we implemented AD and one of the exch2k3 server is the US is holding the Primary dns MX record for the company the same MX record that we want everyone else to use ( i.e someone@company.com ) regardless to which office they are located in. when the mail is being intercepted on the primary mail server, it's routing itself via the AD GC's servers internally on the vpn connection, becasu...

Search Multiple Worksheets #2
Is there a way to search trough multiple worksheets for a specific value? Other posts have mentioned to use VBA, but I have never used that before. If anyone can give me some advice on using that or a type of formula to perform that can search multiple worksheets. Thank You There may be other ways but, while holding down the ctrl key select each of the worksheet tabs you want to search in then select Edit|Find from the menu. Type in the value you want and it will go to the first instance of that value. Now if you are wanting to preserve a specifice value for reference or ???, then...

Match formula to match values in multiple columns
Hi all, does any friend know that how can I make below formula work MATCH(A2,$K$2:$M$30,0) I am not sure I have understood correectly. Please go through the below example With data as below if you need to retrive the name of the 1st Rank holder from London. D2 = 1 D3 = London In D4 apply the below formula =INDEX($B$2:$B$9,MATCH(1,($A$2:$A$9=D2)*($C$2:$C$9=D3),0)) Please note that this is an array formula. You create array formulas in the same way that you create other formulas, except you press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter the formula. If successful in 'Formula Bar'...

Noob Question For Selecting Multiple Fields On A Form
Hello... In versions earlier than 2007 I would be able to go to the Menu Bar and click Edit -> Select All to select all fields on the form. Now, my question is... where in 2007 did the put that functionality? If Microsoft removed it from there... where did they recreate it? Thanks! Squirrel "SQLSQUIRREL" <SQLSQUIRREL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:333547A1-9C6A-422B-9CD5-97D79D6037DF@microsoft.com... > Hello... > > In versions earlier than 2007 I would be able to go to the Menu Bar and > click Edit -> Select All to se...

Free Quantities Using Extended Pricing
Hi, I would like to know if there is a way to enter a promotion using the Extended Pricing as "buy 5 get 1 free", all what I figured that you can build "buy 1 get 1 free" but my customer case is making it in layers each 5 Units with one free. How can I build that? Thanks in advance, ...

what causes the recently used file list option to be unavailable .
Tools / Options / Recently used file list is greyed out - How do I correct this ? John You don't say which version so try searching the knowledge base http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx With a search string of MRU Disabled in Excel -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "JohnPrice" <JohnPrice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ECA43906-EC33-4B92-8580-39923E449B9C@microsoft.com... > Tools / Options / Recently used file list is greyed out - How do I correct > this ? Hi! So...

Using Queries in Excel
What are the best practices for using database-like queries in Excel. Let's say you wish to join to sheets together och view a subset of columns in a third sheet. I've tried several different methods, but I dont think any of them are completely good. I've used VLookup, Index, MS Query. (MS Query must be the must forgotten MS product in history. It's like a time machine back to Windows 3.11) I've also tried alot of different methods for searching a range, based on more than one criteria, and display the result, either a single value or a sum based on several rows. Here i&#...

Multiple AND OR functions
Is it possible to make this function work? =IF(AND(AND($B9="Z",AE9=35),OR(J9=1,J9="M",J9="C")),1000,IF(AND(AND($B9="A+",AE9=35),OR(J9=1,J9="M",J9="C")),750)) I need to find out if Cell B9 = Z and if Cell AE9 = 35, if this true then check cell J9 and check if it equals 1, M or C then return the value as 1000. (that bit works OK) I also want it to check if an alternative statement is true if the first is false whereby it checks the the same set of cells but this time, check if B9 =A+, if Cell AE9 = 35, if this true then...

Readonly a linked table
I have a table that gets generated every month, and we use as a source of data for other databases. We link this, but I was wondering if there is a way to make that linked table read only. Any ideas? Thanks so much, Chris M. hi Chris, mcescher wrote: > I have a table that gets generated every month, and we use as a source > of data for other databases. We link this, but I was wondering if > there is a way to make that linked table read only. Either make the back-end read-only or use a pass-through query instead of a linked table. mfG --> stefan <-- ...

Email from Outlook using SharePoint
I have been able to sync a SharePoint library to my Outlook account. i can't seem to able to attach more than one SharePoint file to an email. Is this a system limitation or am I miossing something. ...

Offline Address Book, Multiple Administrative Groups
Hello, We recently deployed an additional Exchange server in our organization and placed it into its own administrative group, now users on the new server are getting 8004010F errors in Outlook when attempting to download the offline addresss book. The users who are on the original server do not receive these errrors when downloading the address book. If anyone can provide some assitance it would be greatly appreciated. It's look like this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;162703 "jballin" <jballin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

Multiple copies of E-Mail messages
I am using Outlook 2002 (10.4219.4219) SP2 with a Windows XP Professional operating system. Just in the last couple days I've started to experience a problem with incoming e-mail messages. I use Outlook to retrieve e-mail from at least four different accounts, from at least two different servers. When I receive a new e-mail message that is addressed to one of these e-mail accounts, I get two extra copies of that message, and each of these extra copies are addressed to two of my other accounts. So what I end up with is three copies with three different TO: addresses. This only happens ...

Using tables created in 2003 IN 2007
My office has recently upgraded to 2007. I enjoy new features such as the ability to highlight a few words within the table without the ENTIRE table's font changing; unfortunately, this only works in tables I have created since the upgrade. My old tables that were brought over from 2003 do not have this capability. Is there an add-on out there? I do not have to resort to re-typing and creating all new tables. PS. Copy and pasting into a new table does not work. Convertting the file using the office button does not work. Help? please? I think you talking about what is called...

Parse multiple text lines into 1 line in excel
help. I am an excel beginner and can't find out how to turn multipl lines of text into 1 row in excel. It's probably really easy but m manual is USELESS. Can anyone help ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com debbie You're a little short on details. If nothing below fits the bill post back. "Multiple lines" is how many and is each line in a separate cell down one column? Do you want all lines to go into one cell? You can use this form...

Totals For a Pivot Table??
I have a pivot table with data linked to an access database. I went to pivot table options and checked the box under the format options area "Grand Totals for columns" so that my colums would have totals at the bottom. When it is on the Title all the way to the far right appears but none of my columns have totals at the bottom?? CAN anybody tell me why?? How can i resolve this, i'm i checking the wrong format box? ...

Placing the results within a table
I have a form where I would add how many openings there are for each position. Once I get the total I can see it on my form but I am not able to transfer that total into my table. My code for this text box is =[VacancyQty1]+[VacancyQty2]+[VacancyQty3]+[VacancyQty4]+[VacancyQty5]+[VacancyQty6] it adds up the number from each of those fields. What I wanna do it to get that sum placed into my table. I have tried [TotalVacancy]=.... "TotalVacancy"=... ="TotalVacancy".... Please help me. I am at a lost. Please and Thank you, Hillary It is not correct to put the total i...

Multiple SMTP Address
If a user is set up to have multiple SMTP address setup in active directory. When they send an email in outlook how can they chose which one it is from. You can only do this, in the setup you describe, by using a 3rd party app such as ChooseFrom from www.ivasoft.biz -- Mark Arnold. "Shane" wrote: > If a user is set up to have multiple SMTP address setup in active directory. > When they send an email in outlook how can they chose which one it is from. On Tue, 31 May 2005 06:41:03 -0700, "Shane" <Shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >If a user is s...

Is it possible to use a formula in the middle of a sentence in exc
If so, how? Your question would be clearer if you wrote it in the body of the message, added more detail explaining what you were looking to accomplish and provided an example or two that showed what you were trying to do. I'll take a guess that this might be what you are looking for... ="Some text"&<YourFormula>&"and some more text" For example, something like this example maybe (where I'm assuming Column A contains a list of names)... ="There are "&COUNTA(A1:A100)&" people on the list" -- Rick (MVP ...

Table exist
Hi A simple question On a form, I have a button that create a table when someone click on it "DoCmd.open query " But I want to add something that will stop the code if the table already exist Something like If the table exist then msgbox "The table already exist" else DoCmd.open query "...." So what is the right sentence for "if the table exist" thanks You could use for instance the following function: Public Function tableExists(strTableName As String) As Boolean Dim dbClient As Database Dim tdf As TableDef Set dbClient = CurrentDb For Each...