Tab / Enter key behaviour. Auto Wrap?

Good afternoon all.

I'm currently working on a spreadsheet that keeps track of cheques tha
come in the mail, and when they have been sent off. There are only
rows needed, so to save space, I repeat the same block of 6 lines fro
row 1 to 36, in A->K

A1-6 contains the sources headers.

****
Cheque #
Cheque Amnt
# of Entries
Date Sent
****

This is repeated every 6 lines. So, sample data of A1-12 is

****
Cheque #
Cheque Amnt
# of Entries
Date Sent
****
****
Cheque #
Cheque Amnt
# of Entries
Date Sent
****

Now, here's what I want to do...

When I'm typing in a cheque, I hit enter after each line. When I pus
enter on Date Sent, I want it to wrap to the next Cheque #.

So, I push enter on B5, it wraps to C2.

If it's the last "Block" on a page (Page 1 goes to K) then jump to th
next "Block", Ie, K5 wraps to B8.

If it's the FINAL block on a page (Which would be K...35) then jump t
the next page (M2), first block.

Is this possible? I want it to work regardless of how many pages I add
They will not (at this stage) go past Row 35 (36 for the blan
seperator), as I'll just keep expanding till I reach column IV.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Bob

(PS, some real sample data (A1:E6)

Cheque #	1061	1085	797	1016
Cheque Amnt	$51,082.61	$4,570.50	$31.00	$1,157.00
# Of Entries	49 	3 	1 	1
Date Sent	05/Feb/2004	05/Feb/2004	05/Feb/2004	05/Feb/200

Maybe some coding assitance then? I can write what I think th
psuedocode would look like, but I don't know how the actual code woul
go.

If Enter pushed->
If Row = 35 AND Column = a multiple of 11 (hence finding every end o
page),
Then go to Row 5, Column + 1
Else If Column = multiple of 11
then go to row offset + 3 (3 cells down), -9 (9 cells back)
Else IF OR(Row = 5, 11, 17, 23, 29, 35) Goto Row offset - 3 (go 3 cell
up) , 1 (1 cell across)
Else normal behaviour.

Psuedocode saying, if you are in the final cell of a page, go to nex
page, if in final cell of a section, go to the next section, if in th
final cell of an entry, go to the next entry, otherwise, behave a
normal.

Anybody able to translate that into real code?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Bo

This is not an answer to your question.

Just a warning--don't lay out your data that way.  You'll find any future
analysis more difficult to accomplish.

I'd use one row per transaction.  Put in nice headers.

After you have the data in that format, you'll be able to do a bunch of stuff
(mailmerge/charts & graphs/pivottable summaries/data|subtotal--lots of stuff.)

In fact, you can may your data entry easier by using some builtin
capabilities--Data|Form.

If you try this and find it less than optimal, you could use John Walkenbach's
enhanced data form:

http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/index.htm

And when you're layout out the data, think granular--if there's a logical reason
to separate the value into multiple cells, do it.

For instance, someday you might want city, state, zip added (or salutation,
first, last name).  Put each of these in a separate column.

You can combine the data much easier than separate them.

If you really have to layout the data the way you say, then I still wouldn't.
But after the data is one row per entry, you can use that to create as many
different (pronounced weird!) reports as you want.

"beeawwb <" wrote:

> Maybe some coding assitance then? I can write what I think the
> psuedocode would look like, but I don't know how the actual code would
> go.
>
> If Enter pushed->
> If Row = 35 AND Column = a multiple of 11 (hence finding every end of
> page),
> Then go to Row 5, Column + 1
> Else If Column = multiple of 11
> then go to row offset + 3 (3 cells down), -9 (9 cells back)
> Else IF OR(Row = 5, 11, 17, 23, 29, 35) Goto Row offset - 3 (go 3 cells
> up) , 1 (1 cell across)
> Else normal behaviour.
>
> Psuedocode saying, if you are in the final cell of a page, go to next
> page, if in final cell of a section, go to the next section, if in the
> final cell of an entry, go to the next entry, otherwise, behave as
> normal.
>
> Anybody able to translate that into real code?
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.
>
> -Bob
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
2/6/2004 12:56:05 AM
I actually originally had everything laid out as
A = Cheque Number
B = Cheque Amount
C = # Of Entries
D = Date.

That's the way I normally lay things out. Until, when entering large
amounts of data, I had to keep hitting tab, when I was only doing
numeric entry. Ie, I could type one handed if I used the enter key.
Swapping data back would be quite easy. I won't be running *any*
reports on this data, it's simply to keep a backup record of what
cheques I've mailed off. The receipting department keeps the real
records.

So... alternative solution.

Make the Numeric enter key act as a TAB, and after row D (the final
bit) go back to A.

My only concern with this, is my original reason for changing the
layout, that being, I could fit more records per page that way. IE, If
there are 12 columns per page (landscape) I can fit 66 cheques per
page. Is there a way to lay things out in columns A-D, F-I, and then
have it start a new page? (Sort of like an anti-page break. Either
that, or type them all in A-D, but have each new page start in the
remaining available space?

Thanks,

-Bob

---

Select the range first (A12:D99 say) and the tab key will follow your order.
(and the enter keys, too)

And if it's just for printing, you could copy the range to word and use its
format|columns to get more per page.

"beeawwb <" wrote:

> I actually originally had everything laid out as
> A = Cheque Number
> B = Cheque Amount
> C = # Of Entries
> D = Date.
>
> That's the way I normally lay things out. Until, when entering large
> amounts of data, I had to keep hitting tab, when I was only doing
> numeric entry. Ie, I could type one handed if I used the enter key.
> Swapping data back would be quite easy. I won't be running *any*
> reports on this data, it's simply to keep a backup record of what
> cheques I've mailed off. The receipting department keeps the real
> records.
>
> So... alternative solution.
>
> Make the Numeric enter key act as a TAB, and after row D (the final
> bit) go back to A.
>
> My only concern with this, is my original reason for changing the
> layout, that being, I could fit more records per page that way. IE, If
> there are 12 columns per page (landscape) I can fit 66 cheques per
> page. Is there a way to lay things out in columns A-D, F-I, and then
> have it start a new page? (Sort of like an anti-page break. Either
> that, or type them all in A-D, but have each new page start in the
> remaining available space?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Bob
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
2/6/2004 3:55:39 AM
I can see that working...

I just made a new spreadsheet, and hid columns E->IV. Is there a way to
make the enter key behave like the TAB key?

Also, is there a way to auto link tables in Word from Excel?

-Bob

---

I have tools|options|Edit Tab|Move Selection after Enter disabled.

When I had the range selected, the cursor moved to the right (until the last
column in the selection).

It'll work ok with move selection after enter set for Right, too.

I'm not sure what you mean by auto link.  But you can keep your data in excel
and Insert|object|Create from file (and link to the worksheet) in MSWord.

But you may want to look into a macro approach.  This was recently posted by
Eckard Buchner:
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=bva9eh%24phm3d%241%40ID-24152.news.uni-berlin.de

based on a discussion in the msword newsgroup:
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=bvnime%24uhsf5%241%40ID-24152.news.uni-berlin.de

Both of those are one line in your browser.

"beeawwb <" wrote:

> I can see that working...
>
> I just made a new spreadsheet, and hid columns E->IV. Is there a way to
> make the enter key behave like the TAB key?
>
> Also, is there a way to auto link tables in Word from Excel?
>
> -Bob
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

Auto-Archive (less than 24 hour interval)
My employer has a Retention Policy that all mails in the Deleted Items folder on the Exchange server will be deleted overnight. I like to keep all my deleted emails -- in case some day I need to refer to one of them to save my behind. :-) But I haven't been able to figure out how to make Auto-Archive run in less than 24 hour intervals -- which means that I lose my Deleted Items email every night (because it seems to run each morning when I come in to work and start my Outlook). The Retention Policy for Inbox and Sent Items is a lot longer, so Auto-Archive works fine on those. Any...

entering recurring appointments as daily entries
Hi i use outlook calendar, and most of my entries are recurring appointments,(holiday unit bookings). I recently bought a blackberry, and has a problem with recurring appointments and only shows the first day. Is there a way of easily entering a appointment, repeating it , say for 6 days, but having the appointments recorded as single day entries. thanks tim you could possibly copy a single appointment to each of the days. Just right-click drag and drop in the Date Navigator and choose Copy. it can be tricky. -- Bill Rodgers MVP "Tim" <adslk4at@tpg.com.au> wrote in...

Tab key moves
Can I pre-select which cell the tab key moves me to? I have a specific order I would like to follow each time. Is there a way I can fill out one area of my form before having to tab through another area? Not in a reasonable userfriendly way, no. The default behavior is left-to-right next unlocked cell, top to bottom. (But that is IMO how your application should be designed anyway.) HTH. Best wishes Harald "DCZ" <DCZ@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:43C38961-D5BF-4F45-9CF5-DF2CD5958E9D@microsoft.com... > Can I pre-select which cell the tab key moves me to?...

How do I turn off F1 Help key
When you press F1 the help window will pop up. The trouble is I use alot of F2 and sometime I accidentally press F1. How do I turn off or customise F1? Thanks for your help! -- ernestgoh ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ernestgoh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24870 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=384098 Ernest, In module ThisWorkbook, paste this (from here): Private Sub Workbook_Open() Application.OnKey "{F1}", "Stub" End Sub And in a regu...

tabs #2
When I use my tab button, instead of moving to the next cell to the right it jumps from column A to M then Y then AK etc. How can i turn this off and get the tab button to move only one square. I have read on these forums where people want to jump many columns but my complaint is just the opposite. Ian, Tools - Options - Transition. Uncheck Transition navigation keys. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Ian Sly" <Ian Sly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7246A62A-2B2A-4135-B723-8ECFCAD948...

Tabs in my workbook are hidden
When i maximise a spreadsheet my tabs at the bottom are hidden by the start/drawing menus - does anyone know how to fix this? Assuming that in Tools, Options, View you are set to view sheet tabs, you could try dragging the Drawing toolbar (and other toolbars) by the left edge to the top or right of the screen. Gee Wrote: > When i maximise a spreadsheet my tabs at the bottom are hidden by the > start/drawing menus - does anyone know how to fix this? -- Bryan Hessey ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Bryan Hessey's Profile: http://www.exc...

Auto height rows
I am working in Excel 2000 for Windows with cells that are NOT merged. The individual cells have varying amounts of data (anywhere from a few characters to over 1000 characters). All text is wrapped. When I double click on the row to auto height, it adjusts the height but the printed version still cuts off text. In most cases the row height does not come anywhere near 409.5 pixels. I saw the problem with bottom aligned text, but all my cells are top aligned. I am working with 19 files that include at least four worksheets with 300+ rows of data. It's getting time consuming to re...

Prefix + auto remove
Hi, I export my address book from outlook express 2003 and import to outlook2007 as activesync require outlook for contacts storage. however, all the prefix '+' are removed which made my contacts all invalid, i.e unable to send SMS. Any idea how to resolve? is ol2007 on a new computer? if so, did you set up the modem's area code and dialing rules in control panel, modem properties? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/ou...

Missing Sheet tab #2
The tab where I select Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3 etc is missing how can I get it back??? I am using Excel 2007 Thanks Kamal Try Changing your display resoulution up a step? And then open the file. Kamal wrote: > The tab where I select Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3 etc is missing how can I get > it back??? > > I am using Excel 2007 > > Thanks > Kamal > > ...

locking tabs w/macros
i have a workbook that employees use to track project progress. they enter project data into sheet 1 and vbscript macros manipulate this data and output it in various ways on worksheets 2-15. i want to lock sheets 2-15 so employees cannot enter data, but when i protect those sheets the macros are no longer permitted to work. is there a way i can prevent cell editing by USERS but permit editing by MACROS? this seems like it should be fairly obvious, but i cant figure it out. thanks in advance! Hi eric, 1) you might want to use the following instruction when protecting the sheets: ...

Auto Reconciled
I uncheck it the options and yet each time I download from my bank it show the transaction a reconiled. How do I stop this from happening? Please help.... Thank you If you're matching a downloaded transaction against a bills/deposits entry, then it is possible that the bills/deposits entry is marked as reconciled. The easiest way to test this is to take a backup of your file, and enter one or two of the bills/deposits into your file. If they enter as reconciled, then you'll need to recreate these in the original file. Bills/deposits can get like this if you create them from exis...

Blank reply in emails but can view them in "auto preview"
When recieving a reply to some emails, I see nothing but the original email text without the reply text. The only way that I can see the reply text is if I set Outlook to use "auto preview", but there's nothing there if the message is opened. We are using Outlook 2000 sp3 internet mail (POP3) through a Verizon DSL connection (SMC Barricade router). It also seems to only happen when correxponding to people that are using Exchange Server. I've seen a few posts regarding this issue but I have not seen any resolution. I think it may also have to do with messages th...

auto position of data labels in a line chart
Hi All Does anybody know of a way of automatically having data labels either positioned above or below depending on another cell value? Basically when I update data behind a series of charts, sometimes (depending on the values) its best to have the value labels above and sometimes below. I want the chart to know which is best automatically without me clicking on each series of data labels and manually changing them. I was thinking I could link this condition to a cell (in which I would have a formula telling it what to do). I think the only way that this could be done would be withi...

server auto reply....?
I have multiple address that are used for e-newsletters and bulk mail. I do not want these mailboxes filling up with replies and bounce backs. What is the best way to have an exchange send an auto reply informing the sender to please send inquiriws to a different address. I have read articles on creating rules, but have yet to get this feature working. I also am aware of the out of offie assistant. Idealy I would like this controlled from the server side not the client, is this possible? John Issue with auto-responders/auto-replies is mail loops. - You could try creating auto-responde...

Ctrl arrow left key no longer jumps entire word?
When scrolling through a document, my 'Ctrl+arrow right' key jumps forward the entire word however recently my 'Ctrl+arrow left' key will NOT jump back the entire word. How can I correct this??????????? Something, maybe an add-in, has disabled the shortcut. To put it back, use the procedure in http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/AsgnCmdOrMacroToHotkey.htm to reassign the Ctrl+Left shortcut to the WordLeft command. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to th...

Auto save / data recovery
My pc has crashed without me having saved my flowchart, does Visio have an auto save function and is there any way I can recover my data. Regards Rob Under Tools \ Options \ Save, there is Autosave available but it is not turned on by default -- -ronnie [MS] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Rob Stevenson" <rob.stevenson@prestigemedical.co.uk> wrote in message news:0a4101c36c8c$767a3e90$a501280a@phx.gbl... > My pc has crashed without me having saved my flowchart, > does Visio have an auto save function and is ...

Automating a Summary Tab
I have a workbook that I need a summary page that will breakout 2 different tabs and subtotal it Is there a way that if 1 tab holds Part #, Desc, and Price Another tab holds Total Price for the type of project it is So that would be: Model, List Price In a Summary tab I would like to show Item # (this would automatically start numbering each row) depending on how many choices they made in the other tabs Part # Description Model Length of term # users List Price They could choose anywhere from 2 parts to 15 parts how do I get it to automatically populate for what they chosen in this new...

sheet tabs as page number and in a cell page of pages?
i have looked a little but can't find what i think is the right thing. i have a workbook with 3-4 pages in it. in the upper righthand corner is a page of pages cells set up. i want to have it grab the current tab(page) for one cell and the rest of the tabs(pages) for the other cell. i am not very good at the coding VB thing so exact instructions would be grately appreciated. i have tried a few of the suggestions but cannot get them to work. i am using excel 2002. TIA ...

Auto filter on blank lines
When I auto filter there is normally blank lines at the bottom but now when it's filtered it's greyed out and I can't add any new lines. ...

weird CEdit behaviour
Hi, I would like to derive a CEdit control to add the following method: void SetFont(const CString& strFont,int nPointSize, int nWeight); My problem is if I add this prototype, in the implementation file the compiler only sees this method and cannot see the parent method SetFont(CFont* pfont, BOOL bRedraw=1), the one from Cwnd). If I remove the prototype I can call SetFont(CFont* pfont, BOOL bRedraw=1). How can I do this because if I want to add my method I need to be able to call the base class SetFont and my custom SetFont. Vince wrote: > Hi, > > I would like to derive a...

Access2007 ON_CLICK problem on IMAGE on a TAB CONTROL
Hi All, With Access 2003 i made a form with a tab control. One one of the pages there is an image control with an ON_CLICK event assigned to it (normal vba procedure). With Access2003 the ON_CLICK is executed correctly Exactly the same DB run under Access 2007 the ON_CLICK event is ignored...no reaction at all....... This problem does not seem to occur if the image is not on a tab control Nor does it appear when i replace the image with a Button control. Can anyone tell what is hapening ? Rob, this is a known issue, but it was fixed in the service pack Microsoft released this week. You c...

product key 04-28-10
Hi, I had a virus on my computer. I had to restore to factory settings. I went to reinstall office2007 and when I put in the product key it tells me it is "incorrect." How do I reinstall office? Please help. You can email me at mmfouad@gmail.com Mike Your Office 2007 did it come with your computer or did you purchase the Office 2007 separately with a Retail purchase -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. http://www.microsoft.com/protect "mike" <mike...

I need a "Tutor available for Math" template with telephone tabs
Like a job flyer. With phone numbers running perpendicular in cut away tabs On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 05:17:27 +0000, Tutor available wrote (in article <B83788BB-0469-4028-9E5B-361C130502E6@microsoft.com>): > Like a job flyer. With phone numbers running perpendicular in cut away tabs But too lazy to create his own flyer. Anyway, it's *MATHS*. The subject is mathematics, plural, therefore the shortened plural form is, logically, maths. You Yanks were never much good at logic, though. What version Publisher? In 2002/03, file, new, Publications for Print, flyers, scroll way down to...

Delegates tab and outlook not responding
I have a uesr in my building that needs to have people delegated in Outlook 2002 to view her calender. Whenever she clicks on the delegates tab, outlook freezes and says not responding. If you wait for about 10 mins, all of her people that she delegated finally comes up (which is about 20 people) and seems very slow. If she selects a person and clicks on the permissions tab the computer freezes again. Is there a limited number of users that can be delegated or no? Any information would be helpful. Thanks! Does anyone have an answer to this problem? If so, can you please email me at wk...

Create a border of wrapping text?
Does anyone know how to create a border of text that would wrap around the page (horizontal on top, then 90 degrees on the right, upside down on the bottom, and another 90 degrees up the left side) I have made text boxes and overlayed other objects to force it to wrap the text around the object, but none of the text wrapping choices will do what I want Any help appreciated Thanks John ...