Summing Alternate Rows

We have spreadsheets with many rows and need to sum alternate rows.  Is
there a way to do this without entering a formula using the number of
each row?

--
KarenQ
KarenQ's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19608

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$18),2)=1),$A$1:$A$18)

That formula sums odd-row values in the range A1:A18.

To sum even-row values the formula is:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$18),2)=0),$A$1:$A$18)

Adjust the ranges as necessary.

Does that help?

Ron

--
Ron Coderre
Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21419

Thanks so much!!  That was so easy.  I figured there had to be a simple
solution.

--
KarenQ
KarenQ's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19608
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395115

How do I pivot a range of cells, i.e. from column to row?
How do I pivot/transpose the data from a range of cells from, say, a column to a row? I imagine it should be very simple, but I haven't found out how yet. For instance: row# 1 data 1 2 data 2 3 data 3 4 data 4 to column# 1 2 3 4 data1 data2 data3 data4 ...

Merging rows
office 2003 excel How can I merge two rows into one row? Also... where is that in help? I spent about 45 minutes trying to find it. Thanks John if you want to merge A1:A10 and B1:B10, select C1:C10 and type in C1 =A1&B1 and ctrl+enter. Neo Cheung wrote: > if you want to merge A1:A10 and B1:B10, select C1:C10 and type in C1 > =A1&B1 and ctrl+enter. > Thanks... works great. Now, how do I get it to be just the data and not the reference to the other rows. thanks John Hi John, To eliminate the formula leaving only the value --- select column C, Ctrl+C (edit, copy), ...

Hide/Delete entire rows based in the content of one cell
Hello all. I have a spreadsheet that is over 500 rows long. As it is I have no use for all of the rows at the same time and have to keep hiding and showing them as need arises. Is there a macro to hide chunks of it based on the value of one cell of the row? In other words, en each row I will have a formula like =if(a1=0,"HIDE","") and this value will tell the macro wether to hide the row or not. I tried case.select but it takes a LONG time and I would have to write a piece of code for every line. FYI, the rows that need hiding will be in sequence, in other words, fro...

Summing with nulls
My statement select sum(column) from ( select column from table union select column2 from table2) as T Now the second part of the union returns a null. How do i sum with a null i have tried using case when then end but this does not work. The sum does return a value but it is incorrect. When the second part of the union statement is null i want to get the sum of the first part. Thanks try it with "isnull" select sum(isnull(column,0)) from yourtable "Cdudej" <jedfletcher1@gmail.com> wrote in message news:5df50a11-89a7-42d6-b92b-e611910394e6@k19g200...

SUM cells in column based upon criteria in two others.
Can not seem to put together a formula that accomplishes the following: Column J contains contributions by individuals for 2010 Column I contains contributions by individuals made in 2009 Column N contains an indicator (+ - or 0) of the increase or decrease over the two years Column P contains a designation of which members are new members. I need a formula that looks at column I cells against column J cells, totals the contributions made be each of the criteria in column N, but does NOT include those with any designation in column P. Example of the data: I ...

Auto height rows
I am working in Excel 2000 for Windows with cells that are NOT merged. The individual cells have varying amounts of data (anywhere from a few characters to over 1000 characters). All text is wrapped. When I double click on the row to auto height, it adjusts the height but the printed version still cuts off text. In most cases the row height does not come anywhere near 409.5 pixels. I saw the problem with bottom aligned text, but all my cells are top aligned. I am working with 19 files that include at least four worksheets with 300+ rows of data. It's getting time consuming to re...

Sum function
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am trying to put together a spreadsheet for a business plan and am having problems with the autsum and autofill functions. Firstly, even though I do a simple autosum, if I change a value in a cell, the sum does not change. Secondly, if I try to autofill across columns, the values of those columns simply mirror the value of the first. In other words it copies it. I am at a loss how to get round it as I have been working w Excel for years and have never had this problem. I have experimented with a new worksheet with ...

can't get "sum" to add up properly
Hi, I'd appreciate any help with my problem. I have the following A B C 1 Benefit Coverage Amount Monthly Premium 2 Employee Life .21/$1,000 $67,000.00 $14.07 3 Dependent Life (if applicable) family $2.00 4 Employee AD&D .04/$1,000$67,000.00 $2.68 5 LTD 2.58/100 $1,529.00 $39.45 6 Dental family 47.86 7 Health family 48.90 8 EAP (if applicable) yes $2.20 9 ...

sum function usin an IF statement
Bit short on detail, but maybe =IF(rng>10,rng) as an array formula, committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter or =IF(rng1>some_val,rng2) again an array formula, where rng1 and rng2 are the same size. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "jimk" <jimk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2873BFCF-598E-4956-808C-31C1638741A9@microsoft.com... > ...

Why have I got some repeating rows after a Excel 2003 sort
I copied and sorted an existing worksheet which had been obtained from an unknown source. I found some of the rows were duplicated after the sort, but with the number column showing different results from the original row and not formatted. The original worksheet had no duplicates. Why would this happen? I have used older versions of Excel for years and this has never happened before. Hi jayne are you sure there were no hidden rows in the original data? Cheers JulieD "Jayne" <Jayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D5C7F6BE-EE34-434A-B829-68B2FA6C4AD2@...

Summing the # of records
I have a spreadsheet that is has 10 groups. In the header of each group I'd like to total the # of records in that particular group, and at the bottom of the spreadsheet total the # of records in all groups combined. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks in advance!! -- matt330 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ matt330's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28176 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=477503 What designates a group? -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the e...

Sum Function (was summing 13 cells to the left)
Trying to compose a formula that will only sum 13 cells to the left (13 months of data). When columns are added, I still only want to sum thirteens months of data. Can this be done without constanty changing my formulas? Make sense TIA Neil S. Hi see my reply to your old post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Neil S. wrote: > Trying to compose a formula that will only sum 13 cells to the left > (13 months of data). When columns are added, I still only want to > sum thirteens months of data. Can this be done without constanty > changing my formulas? Make sense? ...

If, say, =SUM(I2:I10) totals "0", how to change formula to put a "0" in I11?
I know this is going to be simple but everything I've not got anything to work. How can we change formula, pls, to have "=SUM(I2:I10)" show up as "0" in I11 if there aren't any values anywhere in I2 to I10? Thanks. :oD If there are no values to sum the formula should already be returning 0. What result are you getting? Biff "StargateFanFromWork" <NoSpam@NoJunk.com> wrote in message news:OV$7dJLnHHA.3704@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I know this is going to be simple but everything I've not got anything to >work. How can we change f...

I need excel to only use the last 26 rows in a chart
I have a large spreadsheet that has data in it that is entered weekly. I would like for the chart to grab the most recent 26 weeks of data automatically. Does anyone know of a formula that will do this? Logan: If you haven't already, you may want to establish dynamic ranges for your data set. This will allow you to automatically update your chart(s) as new data is entered It will also allow you to plot the last number of days/weeks that you want. This post explains how to set up dynamic range names and plot user specified number of days. It should get you started on dynamic range ...

Every Other Row
Is there a way to get Excel to calculate Standard Deviation on every other row (there are 2400 rows, so manually putting them in isn't really an option.) ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Software! Free Support at http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/ ** One way to try .. Assume the source data is in A1:A2400 in Sheet1 In a new Sheet2 ----------------------- Put in A1: =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,ROW(A1)*2-2,) Copy A1 down to A1200 This'll extract every other row from Sheet1's A1:A2400 (i.e. from Sheet1's A1, A3, A7, A9, ... A2399) Then just put...

make row height a little bigger in a wrapped cell
I've got a sheet with columns at work date text (sometimes multi-line wrapped) $ nnnn.nn I can wrap text no problem but I hope approximate double spacing so I don't have to put a blank row between each item. I need the space between items so the text isn't squashed all together for a court form I guess I want to be able to say height of cell necessary for the wrapped text however much it might be plus n for each row height. I can't find a way. Is it possible? Excel 2002 Win xp Thanks for your help. If you're using merged cells, then this w...

Rows and Columns
I am using Excel XP Each worksheet has 65,536 rows and 256 columns according to specifications. Is there a way to change these number to a smaller amount? I know I can hide rows and columns, but wondering if I can not have them to start them. TIA Bill The short answer is NO. Just don't format more than you need. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "EZDOIT" <Please@smile.com> wrote in message news:dxupc.98556$Ik.7697285@attbi_s53... > I am using Excel XP > > Each worksheet has 65,536 rows and 256 columns according to specifications. > >...

Need help formatting rows
Hello everyone, I am using excel 2007 I would like to know how to do the following if possible have column A add column B and put the total in column C and then put the amount of column C in column A of the next row. EX: 1+1=2 in row 1 then automatically have it put 2 in row 2 column A Thanks in advance if anyone can help. Bobby Cell C1: = +A1 + B1 Cell A2: = +C1 -- Hope this helps. If it does, please click the Yes button. Thanks in advance for your feedback. Gary Brown "bobby02169" wrote: > Hello everyone, > I am using excel 2...

adding rows #2
How do I add rows without changing cell location in the formula. For example: The data for the formula is always located in cell B4 and if I add a row on top of B4, I want the formula to remain with B4. Right now, if I add a row, the cell in the formula goes down one row. Hope for help If I understand, you're adding a row higher than B4. This shifts B4 down, but you want the "new" B4 to be the data for the formula. If this is the case you could try this: =formula(OFFSET(A1,3,1,1,1)) That is, as long as you don't add a new top row. ...

Crosstab Row Heading Issues
Hi, I have Access 2003 and when I do a cross tab I cannot bring in more than 3 field values for row headings - my coworker (who has Access 97) can bring in >3 row headings. Is this a paremter setting in Access 2003? Thanks, Mike I believe that the Wizard can't handle more than 3; however, you can do more with SQL. Try creating a crosstab with the three headings, them modifying it at SQL level to add more. -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder. "mike" wrote: > Hi, > > I have Access 2003 and...

Can Excel sort rows by color?
I want to sort a spreadsheet by the color of the rows. Here's a website that will help you accomplish this: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm tj "Grant" wrote: > I want to sort a spreadsheet by the color of the rows. Grant, have a look here http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Grant" <Grant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

format group of rows based on condition
I've seen answers to similar problems, but nothing as complex as this: I have the following set-up (simplified) Type City Store actual Portland TB bid Portland TB actual Memphis AU bid Memphis AU bid Memphis AU I need to format in VBA (since this is over 3000 rows deep), in the following manner: Insert a row in between a change in the cities column. Then surround the grouping by city with a bold outline. Color the row with the bid gray and color the rows in between the cities blue. The sheet has...

highlight consecutive duplicate rows (re-sending)
My apologies if anyone responded to this when I originally posted. I didn't download enough headers and I can't recapture the original.... I want to highlight any row that has the same data as the previous row. For example, if A:3=A:2 and B:3=B:2 and C:3=C:2, I want to highlight Row 3. I also want to repeat this logic throughout the spreadsheet. Can I do with this with Conditional Formatting? Or, would I need to use VBA...in which case, how would I code this? Thanks in advance. I have no idea if anyone responded to your earlier post, but you could check yourself: You can ...

repeat rows at top
Once you've created your "standard" colum headings, how do you repeat them on every page --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "al_rwli >" <<al_rwli.zrrq5@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:al_rwli.zrrq5@excelforum-nospam.com... > Once you've created your "standard" colum headings, how do you repeat > them on every page File > Page Setup > Sheet tab Print titles: Rows to repeat at top File>page setup>sheet and put the reference in rows to repeat at top -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "al_rwli ...

Sum Function Without Including Hidden Rows?
I'm using Excel 2000 and have *hidden* several rows that include numeric data. I want to do a sum function on some of the columns intersecting those rows, but when I insert an AutoSum function, it includes data in the visible rows AND the hidden rows. Is there an easy way to perform a sum function that *only* includes the rows that are *-visible?-* (Which rows are hidden/visible are subject to constant change) Thanks for your help! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You would need a UDF for that or if there is a pattern (like if every other column/row is hidden) th...