SUMIF question (although, I think I'm using the wrong function)

I have a 2 column log that tracks incoming call amounts from agents
identified as 6 digit numbers CCOOAA - County, Office, Agent#:

171917	4
174327	6
171629	9
174327	13
172832	5

I want to add another table that takes ONLY the first 4 digits from the 6
digit number, then adds the totals from their call amounts. IN the example
above, for 174327, it would equal 19. (13+6).

=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A1:A5,4)="1743"),--(B1:B5))
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200909

"Ashley" wrote:

> I have a 2 column log that tracks incoming call amounts from agents
> identified as 6 digit numbers CCOOAA - County, Office, Agent#:
>
> 171917	4
> 174327	6
> 171629	9
> 174327	13
> 172832	5
>
> I want to add another table that takes ONLY the first 4 digits from the 6
> digit number, then adds the totals from their call amounts. IN the example
> above, for 174327, it would equal 19. (13+6).

You can do this with the SUMPRODUCT function. Something like:

=SUMPRODUCT((--(LEFT(A2:A100)=1743)*(B2:B100))

The double negative (--) is in there to change the text output from the LEFT
function back into a number value.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Luke M" wrote:
> =SUMPRODUCT((--(LEFT(A2:A100)=1743)*(B2:B100))

You seem to have several typos.

> The double negative (--) is in there to change the text output
> from the LEFT function back into a number value.

If that was your intent, you need the double negation to be adjacent to the
LEFT function, thus:

=SUMPRODUCT((--LEFT(A2:A100)=1743)*(B2:B100))

The also remedies your syntax error.

But your formula still does not make sense since the default length for LEFT
is 1 character.  Perhaps you meant:

=SUMPRODUCT((--LEFT(A2:A100,4)=1743)*(B2:B100))

But why not write, more simply:

=SUMPRODUCT((LEFT(A2:A100,4)="1743")*(B2:B100))

with or without the parentheses around B2:B100.

Still, I would prefer:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A2:A100,4)="1743"), B2:B100)

since that avoids #VALUE errors if some of B2:B100 are non-numeric

> You can do this with the SUMPRODUCT function. Something like:
>
> =SUMPRODUCT((--(LEFT(A2:A100)=1743)*(B2:B100))
>
> The double negative (--) is in there to change the text output from the LEFT
> function back into a number value.
> --
> Best Regards,
>
> Luke M
> *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!*
>

> "Ashley" wrote:
>
> > I have a 2 column log that tracks incoming call amounts from agents
> > identified as 6 digit numbers CCOOAA - County, Office, Agent#:
> >
> > 171917	4
> > 174327	6
> > 171629	9
> > 174327	13
> > 172832	5
> >
> > I want to add another table that takes ONLY the first 4 digits from the 6
> > digit number, then adds the totals from their call amounts. IN the example
> > above, for 174327, it would equal 19. (13+6).
Sorry to be pedantic but the double negation converts Boolean (FALSE/TRUE)
to numbers (0/1), it is not converting text. See
http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Luke M" <LukeM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You can do this with the SUMPRODUCT function. Something like:
>
> =SUMPRODUCT((--(LEFT(A2:A100)=1743)*(B2:B100))
>
> The double negative (--) is in there to change the text output from the
> LEFT
> function back into a number value.
> --
> Best Regards,
>
> Luke M
> *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!*
>

> "Ashley" wrote:
>
>> I have a 2 column log that tracks incoming call amounts from agents
>> identified as 6 digit numbers CCOOAA - County, Office, Agent#:
>>
>> 171917 4
>> 174327 6
>> 171629 9
>> 174327 13
>> 172832 5
>>
>> I want to add another table that takes ONLY the first 4 digits from the 6
>> digit number, then adds the totals from their call amounts. IN the
>> example
>> above, for 174327, it would equal 19. (13+6).

0
Bernard
1/15/2010 6:26:47 PM
Thanks Joe. Guess this is what happens the closer I get to the weekend...
Have a good one.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Gary''s Student" wrote:
> =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A1:A5,4)="1743"),--(B1:B5))

The double negation before B1:B5 might be useful if you assume B1:B5
contains numeric strings (text).  But in that case I would prefer the simpler
form:

=SUMPRODUCT((LEFT(A1:A5,4)="1743")*(B1:B5))

with or without the parentheses around B1:B5.

Otherwise, the double negation before B1:B5 seems superfluous, as are the
parentheses.  More to the point, --B1:B5 defeats the purpose of writing
separate SUMPRODUCT arguments.

If B1:B5 is expected to contain numbers, I would prefer:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A1:A5,4)="1743"), B1:B5)

since that avoids a #VALUE if some of B1:B5 are purposely non-numeric and to
be ignored.

> =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A1:A5,4)="1743"),--(B1:B5))
> --
> Gary''s Student - gsnu200909
>

> "Ashley" wrote:
>
> > I have a 2 column log that tracks incoming call amounts from agents
> > identified as 6 digit numbers CCOOAA - County, Office, Agent#:
> >
> > 171917	4
> > 174327	6
> > 171629	9
> > 174327	13
> > 172832	5
> >
> > I want to add another table that takes ONLY the first 4 digits from the 6
> > digit number, then adds the totals from their call amounts. IN the example
> > above, for 174327, it would equal 19. (13+6).
"Luke M" <LukeM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Thanks Joe. Guess this is what happens the closer I get to the weekend.

Been there, done that! :-)

> Have a good one.

I certainly will, since I will finally return home to a less stressful
environment.

> Thanks Joe. Guess this is what happens the closer I get to the weekend...
> Have a good one.
> --
> Best Regards,
>
> Luke M
> *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!*
>

> "Joe User" wrote:
>
>> "Luke M" wrote:
>> > =SUMPRODUCT((--(LEFT(A2:A100)=1743)*(B2:B100))
>>
>> You seem to have several typos.
>>

>> > The double negative (--) is in there to change the text output
>> > from the LEFT function back into a number value.
>>
>> If that was your intent, you need the double negation to be adjacent to
>> the
>> LEFT function, thus:
>>
>> =SUMPRODUCT((--LEFT(A2:A100)=1743)*(B2:B100))
>>
>> The also remedies your syntax error.
>>
>> But your formula still does not make sense since the default length for
>> LEFT
>> is 1 character.  Perhaps you meant:
>>
>> =SUMPRODUCT((--LEFT(A2:A100,4)=1743)*(B2:B100))
>>
>> But why not write, more simply:
>>
>> =SUMPRODUCT((LEFT(A2:A100,4)="1743")*(B2:B100))
>>
>> with or without the parentheses around B2:B100.
>>
>> Still, I would prefer:
>>
>> =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A2:A100,4)="1743"), B2:B100)
>>
>> since that avoids #VALUE errors if some of B2:B100 are non-numeric

Joe
1/15/2010 6:42:18 PM
Your comments are very clear and informative.

Thanks for your input!
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200909

"Joe User" wrote:

> "Gary''s Student" wrote:
> > =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A1:A5,4)="1743"),--(B1:B5))
>
> The double negation before B1:B5 might be useful if you assume B1:B5
> contains numeric strings (text).  But in that case I would prefer the simpler
> form:
>
> =SUMPRODUCT((LEFT(A1:A5,4)="1743")*(B1:B5))
>
> with or without the parentheses around B1:B5.
>
> Otherwise, the double negation before B1:B5 seems superfluous, as are the
> parentheses.  More to the point, --B1:B5 defeats the purpose of writing
> separate SUMPRODUCT arguments.
>
> If B1:B5 is expected to contain numbers, I would prefer:
>
> =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A1:A5,4)="1743"), B1:B5)
>
> since that avoids a #VALUE if some of B1:B5 are purposely non-numeric and to
> be ignored.

*major* functional issue with MOSS/WSS?
We are looking to move a big site over to using MOSS in a big as an alternative to shared network drives (ugh). One of the biggest issues is sending docs as attachments via email for others to edit. We'd like to get everyone to use the 'send a link' functionality from thew Sharepoint DL BUT when the user receives the email and clinks on the embedded link the doc opens read only. They then cant edit and save their changes. Seems a big an counter intuitive functional flaw. Are we missing something here? Is there any easy (for the end user) way to send those links to a doc ...

Concatenation question
I am trying to concatenate two fields and then add text in brackets to the end. Here is what I have: StaffFullName = ([Me.LastName] & ", " & [Me.FirstName] & " (Mgr)") I want the end result to be: Smith, Mary (Mgr) How do I achieve this? Thank you, Terri What you've done will work. You can also use the "+" operator if there is a possibility that there will be a missing first name: StaffFullName = ([Me.LastName] & "," & (" "+ [Me.FirstName]) & " (Mgr)") That will avoid an extra spa...

fiscal year setting question
hi. i know that the fiscal year settings get more or less set in stone, so i had a quick question before i set it for my org. in the template field, what is that used for? if i select 'quarterly', does that mean i can only run reports on a quarter basis? what if i wanted to do monthly reports? ultimately, my question is what is the 'template' field used for? thanks! Hi Jeff, Fiscal year setting must be aligned to your company's accountig policy. Fiscal year setting primarily defines sales quotas. When you set quarterly periods, you can set quarterly quotas for mem...

Using scanner in Word97

Outlook 2007 Install gone wrong

Using later version of microsoft access

Using Company Wide Mail Templates.

Dynamic Range Selection Using VBA

Outlook 2003 rules question again

date function #3

Using Publisher 200 with Publisher 2003

Time Format Question
Hello, I currently have time entered like this: 173517 90207 I need to look like this: 5:35 p.m. 9:02 a.m. I've done a ton of research but nothing has worked so far. Thank you. With your values in column AA, try: =TIME(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-4),LEFT(RIGHT(A1,4),2),RIGHT(A1,2)) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201003 "Toria" wrote: > Hello, > I currently have time entered like this: > 173517 > 90207 > > I need to look like this: > 5:35 p.m. > 9:02 a.m. > > I've done a ton of research but nothing has worked so fa...

What's wrong with my XSL
I get no output from this file: <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?> <Specials xmlns="http://tempuri.org/Specials.xsd"> <Trip> <ID>0</ID> <Lieux>Canada</Lieux> <Hotel>Clarendon</Hotel> <Depart>1er janvier</Depart> <Duree>1 semaine</Duree> <Prix>450$</Prix> <ToutCompris>false</ToutCompris> <Rating>4.5</Rating> <Description>Hotel dans le vieux Qu�bec</Description> </Trip> </Specials> Usin...

Outlook Question
What causes url links not work? I'm experiencing problems with it, and cannot get them to show the URL Links. Clicking the Links doesn't help. ...

VC++ .NET 2002: error C2509: 'OnPrepareDC' : member function not declared in 'CEg06aView'
Hi all I am learning the OnPrepareDC Function and ShowFont Helper Function from the Ex06a example of the book 'Programming With Microsoft Visual C++ .NET Core Reference' by G. Shepherd with D. Kruglinski. I started my new MFC Project 'Eg06a' from the MFC Wizard and added/edited the OnPrepareDC Function and ShowFont Helper Function in the Eg06aView.cpp and Eg06aView.h files - see the attached files below. When I did 'Build' on my project 'Eg06a', I got the following error: c:\Documents and Settings\Scott H. Chang\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Eg06a\Eg06aVi...

How to use different return email addresses
I use outlook 98. I have a mailbox with three aliases. People sending me emails can use any of the three email aliases and the email will arrive in the same mailbox. Accessing the mailbox once will retrieve all messages regardless of which alias was used. If I reply to these emails though, I want the recipient to think that the email has come from the alias that they originally used. What outlook always seems to do is use the email address of the service that is listed first in Tools->Services->Delivery. Is there any way Outlook can be set up so when I reply to a given email, my email ...

Query question 12-11-07
I have a question that I hope you all can help me with. When I run a query, the results come back with multiple lines of data for an order because of multiple critereas in another field. Here is an example of the data returned to my query: Order Status A In Process A Sent B In Process C In Process I would like to see only the data for orders that have not been shipped, and totally exclude data for orders that have been sent. In the example above, I would like my query results to show Orders B and C, but no data for A since it has al...

Translating Formulas to Functions
I'm hoping someone here can set me on the right path via an example so that I can complete this onerous task. Currently I have a spreadsheet for fantasy football that I maintain. The Workbook (Excel 2003) has the following worksheets Sheet 1 = Named Totals Sheets 2 - 18 = Named Week1, Week2, Week3, etc to Week17 Sheet19 = Status Sheet 20 = Roster Roster has 5 columns, 1 for each player position (QB, RB, WR, K, Def) Under each column is listed the person or team for that slot. Status has 18 columns and 44 rows. Some rows are blank or just contain a description. Column 1...