Spreadsheet shows through desktop

Hi,

I would bet this is a simple one to figure out.
All of a sudden when I open my XL 2002 spreadsheets,
they all open where the windows and borders are visible/
okay, but the cells are invisible and I can see through
to my desktop. It happens on all sheets, new or existing.
Can someone please help????????

Billy
0
anonymous (74722)

There have been a few posts about this (I've never seen it up close and
personal).

IIRC, the solutions varied between closing excel and restarting and even
rebooting the pc.

Not much of a solution, huh?

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

1. AltTab forward to next Windows application several times
2. Running in code or from the debug window
         application.cutcopymode=false
3.  Removal of value set in    Alternate Startup location
      in  Tools, Options, General

all seen in this thread
  http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3AF16554.C209FF%40iinet.net.au

If those don't work then try the rest of the collection of
things to try on ghosting.
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt

Please report back which works for you.  If you have saved a small
workbook without private/personal/proprietory data that can consistently
"cause" the problem that would be of interest.  The symptoms and cures
are diverse so there probably is more than one actual problem and cause.
---
HTH,

"Billy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
 > I would bet this is a simple one to figure out.
> All of a sudden when I open my XL 2002 spreadsheets,
> they all open where the windows and borders are visible/
> okay, but the cells are invisible and I can see through
> to my desktop. It happens on all sheets, new or existing.
> Can someone please help????????

0
dmcritchie (2586)
4/20/2004 7:26:00 AM
Hi, If you notice I just posted a thread indicating that I have the sam
problem. No clue what's going on.  I also posted at allexperts.com an
no one there ever heard of this...hopefully we'll get more help here

I had this same problem. The tech department determined
that it is a issue with another program that doesn't
allow it to open properly. I don't know what programs you
use, but with mine this problem didn't always happen.
Watch the next time you use it and pay attention to what
other programs you are running. We didn't find a fix for
it, but if you do control-alt-delete and go into task
list, then to processes, look for something that is using
an excessive amount of mem usage, and if you feel
comfortable with it, end the process. The worse thing
that can happen is you will need to reboot your computer
if you stop the wrong process.  This doesn't delete
anything from your computer just stops it from running at
the moment.
Now if you don't feel comfortable with that, I am sorry I
don't have a fix, but I have a work-around. With mine, if
I attempted to open a document using its name, that is
when I had this problem. So if I clicked on Transparent
spreadsheet from my desktop, (which is where I keep all
my important files) it would open in the way you
described. I found that if I clicked on the big E
or "Excel the program" so that I saw a grey background
and then go to file-open and found the doc. that way, it
would show it. Try that.
Another tip, if you just need to print and you can't see
the doc, go to print preview and even though you couldn't
see it before, you should be able to see it in print
preview. Weird huh?

0
cdcastro (2)
4/20/2004 7:47:50 PM
The quickest solution that I have found for this is to go to Full
Screen view then immediately back to the regular view. Of course, like
the other ideas I have seen posted, this only is a work-around, not a
permanent solution. **sigh**

Dan
0
delfeye (1)

show attachments in header of printed sent email
Hi - any help gratefully received. I just switched from OE to Outlook and find that although screen view shows details of the attachments to sent emails these dont show when I print out the emails. In other words, I am having to handwrite on print out of sent email "attached ..........". It makes no difference whether I tick the option to print out the attachment at the same time as the email itself either. Hope I've made myself clear!!!! Sandy sandieblue <sandieblue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi - any help gratefully received. I just switched fro...

New users not showing up in GAL
We have a single site, single server, Exchange 2003 implementation. Until yesterday we only had one information store inside our single storage group, which contains accounts for faculty and staff. Since we needed to create accounts for students we decided to create a new 'students' store, and were able to create accounts that appear to function just fine. However, users in the 'faculty/staff' store can not see the users from the 'students' store in the GAL. They can send email messages to these accounts, they just don't show up. Any ideas how to make the ...

New contacts not showing when selecting the "To" button on a new e
Hello, If I add a new contact in Outlook 2003. Then I go to compose a new email. When I select the "To" buttom and either search or look for the new contact I created. It doesn't not show up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Tony Two possibilities: 1. Your Contact doesn't have a resolved, valid electronic address 2. You did not add the Contact to the same folder you are displaying in the address book view. -- Russ Valentine "Tony414" <Tony414@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AE3B3E10-8FCD-4840-8924-5B33D99A1F25@mi...

words no fully showing up
When I use a pulldown menu on a web page, the words are covering each other up. It's like the space used is too small. Could this have anything to do with my resolution? On Jan 5, 7:46=A0pm, chaos <ch...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I use a pulldown menu on a web page, the words are covering each oth= er > up. =A0It's like the space used is too small. =A0Could this have anything= to do > with my resolution? Depending on what you use as a browser, you can reset the font size but that may not suit you as far as the rest of the PC looks with th...

how to hide a empty txtbox and show a label??
Hello Guys, I have a report and I'm trying to do the following: If a record has a null value for "Worker" then I want to show a label called "Vacant". I've tried to put the following in various placed (using the code button) but can't seem to figure it out. The report is based on a join query from 2 tables, one table "MasterData" contains the people and "Jobs" contains the various information about the jobs (payrange, hiredate etc...) TIA, _Bigred Private Sub Report_Open(Cancel As Integer) If IsNull(Me!Worker) Then Me!Worker.Visib...

Appending spreadsheets
Good morning I'd like to take about 16 Excel spreadsheets and merge them into one. They will combined still fit within the 65536 row limit and have all identical column/fields. Without outputting them to CSV and doing a DOS append/save command, and without copy/pasting them into a new workbook/sheet, do I have any other alternatives Thank you Derek Hi Derek >and without copy/pasting them into a new workbook/sheet What problem do you have with that?? Try http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Derek Wittm...

How do I put footnotes in an Excel spreadsheet?
Hi Excel does not support footnotes. You may have a look at 'Insert - Comments' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "wgarrard" <wgarrard@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:36E3F93D-3EC8-4E9F-B403-B5F1DE46C57F@microsoft.com... > ...

Accessing Spreadsheet Documents (Works Suite 2003)
I recently converted over from a Mac to Windows. I had several spreadsheet documents that I converted using Maclink. They converted over okay. But, when I try to use them, and then wanted to save them, I have to save in Works 7.0. Then when I try to open them up I get the following type message: BUW1, contains a formula reference outside the area that Works can access. There are other similiar references like: LDI1, KMS1, AND MX1. I do not know how to remove these problems so that I may utilize the documents. Please help. Thanks. JB I'd suggest asking this in a Works gr...

Pop up calendar won't show in Excel 2000
A pop up calendar in a form created in Excel 2003 shows up as a red X in Excel 2000. Is there a patch that can be downloaded. Need help! Juls It is probably because the newer file used a control not in the older files library. You could open the VBE and see if there is a calendar control under Tools>References... and try checking it. -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Juls" <Juls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A4CD8025-CEEB-43F3-BA90-90C4A64F9D14@microsoft.com... >A pop up ca...

Older messages are missing from WLM Desktop Client
Just started using WLM Desktop client on my WinXp home PC. I found the other day that about 1/2 of my messages - all about 1 week old or older - are "missing". I dug around and found in c:\Documents and Settings\<name>\Local Settings\App Data\Microsoft\Windows Mail\ a folder titled Backup with a folder underneath it named New, with 3 files in it. One is a Mailbox store. I suspect the client is auto-archiving "old" messages, but can't find where to view them or recover them. Any ideas?? Mike There's no option in WLM to automatically b...

rent received/balance owed/running balance spreadsheet
I am looking for a spreadsheet?? that shows me the rent owed then paid by the renter and balance if any per month, but do not know how to build one! A very simple balance sheet assuming a monthly rent: A1:D1 column headings: A1: Date B1: Rent C1: Payments D1: Under/Over Paid Then in cell A3 enter the formula: =IF(A2="","",IF(DATE(YEAR(A2),MONTH(A2)+1,DAY(A2))<TODAY(),DATE(YEAR(A2),MONTH(A2)+1,DAY(A2)),"")) and copy down as far as you need. All cells should remain with a blank display until a date (more then a month old) is entered in A2 then automaticall...

Help working out hourly production rates in spreadsheet please.
Hi all, Stuck on this one now. In my spreadsheet i have 3 columns that contain the following info for my production machines Total shift time (this will usually be 7:45 or 8:30 - formatted in hh:mm format) Downtime per shift (any value upto max shift time - formatted in hh:mm format) Kgs produced. I would like to keep the time in hh:mm format as i do further calculations on these - % downtime, total downtime, total shift hours etc (and also cos it took be ages to figure out how to add up in time and i couldn't believe how simple it was when i figured it out) What i would like to be abl...

How To Show Drag Image while Dragging Item?
I use MFC 4.2. There are 2 CListCtrls in my app. I am implementing a drag and drop function from one list to another. How to show the drag image when I still choose which item that will accept the drop? Thank you. You can use a CImageList and store a drag image. Look at functions like CImageList ::BeginDrag, CImageList::BeginDrag | CImageList::EndDrag | CImageList::DragMove | CImageList::DragLeave. -Seetharam This article may be interesting to you. It's a little older, but it is still useful information: http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/controls/listview/dragdrop...

Showing a modal dialog AFTER my SDI app is visible.
Hi, I want to show a modal dialog immediatly after my SDI formview app has become visible. (at startup) (without having to press a button first). I mean i want to show a login dialog immediatly after the app. becomes active. If i do DoModal() for the login dialog somewhere in my code like in OnInitialUpdate(), the dialog appeares before the rest of the app is visible. You could set a timer at the end of OnInitialUpdate() that fires say, 1/2 second later and have it pop up the dialog and kill the timer. Tom "RAN" <nijenhuis@wish.nl> wrote in message news:1187720799.182448...

Routing and Signing Excel Spreadsheets
How can routed spreadsheets be electronically signed? -- Bonita ...

Updating Excel Spreadsheet
I have 3 users that use the same spreadsheet, is there a way of automatically updating the spreadsheet of one user with newer information input by another user. Hello, I think you should use shared workbook. Ex2003: Tools/Share Workbook... Ex2007: Review Ribbon/Share Workbook... Obviously, you need to save the file into shared drive. Let us know if it works :) -- Milan Bortel MCP, MCAS, MCTS GOPAS Computer Training Center Brno, Czech Republic "joesw" wrote: > I have 3 users that use the same spreadsheet, is there a way of automatically >...

Bottom of spreadsheet hidden in full screen view
If you change Excel to Full Screen View and your taskbar is always on top (as it normally is), the bottom of the spreadsheet is hidden behind the taskbar. Does anyone know how to get around this without hiding the taskbar? I have found that if I drag the taskbar to the bottom and then back up again, the Excel window resizes itself correctly and the bottom of the spreadsheet is visible again. Problem is, I want to do this from VBA! Can anyone help please??? Bringing this post back to the top because it is getting lost in the depths of the forum. I've searched the whole Excel fo...

show Global contact list in nav
We just switched over to exchange 2k3 and we have outlook clients. I want to know how to display the global address list(contacts) in the left nav pane along with the user's normal contacts. It's not appearing by default. The global address list is not the same as contacts. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Brett Michaels From Poison" <jms504@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1127420691.086686.73310@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > We just switched over to exchange 2k3 and we have outlook clients. > I ...

Business Contacts
Just found this site - exciting to learn from the experts! I have a long list of business contacts sorted by Accounts. Unfortunately, I clicked the Accounts column while in the Business Contacts view, and all those accounts disappeared from the column. Now all my contacts are ungrouped (over 3,000). Each individual contact still retains its Linked Account designation, but those accounts are no longer organized via that filter. Can anyone help with bringing back that category to my Business Contacts view? I hope this explanation makes sense. Thanks so much in advance. . Sub...

Football Tracking Spreadsheet
Does anyone have a template for tracking football picks? We play straight picks each week with total score of the Monday night game used as the tiebreaker. I would like an excel sheet that can be set up to auto calculate and keep running total. I have one I have somewhat created with a pivot but am sure someone more talented that I has created a better rendition... Help please... Thanks. ...

Look up values and place in spreadsheet
I have an excel workbook with two sheets. On Sheet2, in column A is employee name. In column B is comments about that employee. The employee's name could be repeated several times throughout the workbook. Sheet2 has 1000 rows with multiple employees on it. On Sheet1 I want to put all the comments that match Employee1 (which is in cell A1 on Sheet1). There will probably be 20 matches, so I want the comments to be in rows 2-21. Is this possible? Thanks in advance. Try this *array* formula in A2 of Sheet1: =INDEX(Sheet2!$B$1:$B$30,SMALL(IF(Sheet2!$A$1:$A$30=$A$1,ROW($A$1:$A$30))...

Show Discount on SOP Invoice or nothing if 0
I am trying to create a calculated field on the bottom of the SOP Blank Invoice to show the discount amount if paid by the due date. I just can't seem to get it to work. It should be easy but I've wasted too much time already. thanks I have not looked at this field when discounts available are not posted to the GL but there is a field in the SOP10100 called Discount Available Amount (DISAVAMT) as well as amounts for Misc and Freight charges. Try these fields or a sum of the 3 in a calculation if they are properly populated. And let me know if this works! -- Richard L. Whale...

Problem with link cells between 2 spreadsheets
I have two separate spreadsheets containing various data. One is the Summary spreadsheet and another one is the Detail spreadsheet. In the Summary spreadsheet, I bring in the values of various cells from the Detail spreadsheets using the following method. For an example, I bring in value of cell D16 from the ExecSum tab in the Detail spreadsheet into the cell A10 in the Summary spreadsheet, I will do the following In Cell A10 of the Summary spreadsheet, it contains the following to bring the value ='C:\$User\My Folder\Data\[Datail.xls]ExecSum'!$D$16 If cell D16 in the ExecSum...

create a spreadsheet from another app
Hi, I am creating Excel spreadsheets from our application. We start Excel and then send DDE commands to it to create spreadsheets. Is there a better way of doing this that is not so error prone ? Excel seems to have DDE problems often and there seems to be some mysterious re-entrency problems where both our application and Excel will have be restarted in order to get the communication flowing again. Sincerely, Lynn McGuire On Jun 26, 1:43=A0am, Lynn McGuire <l...@winsim.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I am creating Excel spreadsheets from our application. =A0We start > Excel and t...

Updating Excel spreadsheets over the Internet?
We have a client who has several satellite locations. Each day, each of these locations enters data into a spreadsheet then emails that sheet to the home office. The home office then must review each sheet to generate totals for the previous day's business. Is there a feature in Excel that would allow us to make the spreadsheets available to each satellite online, then from their daily input, create a "master file/spreadsheet" that summarizes dialy business activities for the entire operation? We would like to have each satellite be restricted to their own information; ...