Splitting a cell that has word wrap as the delimiter

Hi -

I have an excel cell that has name on one line, then
alt+enter, address on the next line, then alt+enter,
state on the next line, etc...

I want to split them - I tried using Data Text to
Columns, but I can't figure out to use the Alt+enter as
the delimiter.

Any ideas?
0
anonymous (74722)

Check other and place the cursor in the box, hold down Alt while typing 010
on the numpad, release the Alt key

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Leslie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi -
>
> I have an excel cell that has name on one line, then
> alt+enter, address on the next line, then alt+enter,
> state on the next line, etc...
>
> I want to split them - I tried using Data Text to
> Columns, but I can't figure out to use the Alt+enter as
> the delimiter.
>
> Any ideas?

0
terre08 (1112)

Preventing Duplicate Entries Across Cells
Anyone know how to prevent duplicate entries of numbers. e.g. I have two sheets. I want to make sure that the same number is not entered more than once. Thank you. I think this might work- Have a countif funtion (of pair of for 2 sheets) that look a th current row and see if it has duplicate entries ie a b 1 1 =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$2,A1) - 1 2 2 =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$2,A2) - 1 (the minus one has been added so when a number exists only once it wil return 0. An if statement may also be need for if hte cell is blank.) Then add this behi...

hey ya'll how do i auto sum a cell using the letter x instaed of .
hey ya'll how do i auto sum a colum using the letter x instead of using a number To count number of "x"es =COUNTIF(A1:A100,"x") Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:25:04 -0700, jrod98 <jrod98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >hey ya'll how do i auto sum a colum using the letter x instead of using a >number Gord answered but I couldn't resist asking what the sum of x and x is? Sinister Rod Serling music here. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "jrod98" <jrod98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

paste text into a used cell
I need to move text from one row to a single cell that has been formatted to wrap text and repeat the process for other rows. Paste is not working. Please advise. When you copy and paste, you paste the format as well as the contents If you want to copy text to a cell that is formatted differently instead of paste, slelct paste special, values -- ElsiePO ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ElsiePOA's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=390 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26962 ...

How do I display html code within a cell?
I am importing data to a cell. The data is actually html code. I would like to display the data formatted. Right now I get all the ugly html codes, like <b> Hello World</>. Thanks - John You need to use Insert>Function and then select Hyperlink from the Lookup & Reference category. Randall Arnold "John-Raritan" wrote: > I am importing data to a cell. The data is actually html code. I would like > to display the data formatted. Right now I get all the ugly html codes, like > <b> Hello World</>. > > Thanks - John I think I...

Word 2008 created files not fully readable by PC Word (2007 or 2003) users
When I created word files on my mac using Word 2008, pc users that I send the file to are only able to view the first two pages upon opening. I get the same result when trying to open the files on my word 2007 version through my Mac using the Parrallel program to access the windows OS. Is there an update that I am missing to correct this issue? Well, it's impossible to answer your question since you haven't given any indication of what your present update level is � or what version of OS X you're using. What I can tell you is that 12.2.3 is the latest available, so if t...

Changing individual characters in a cell to a different character
I am trying to write a bit of code that will look at a cell and covert what's in the cell to some sort of code. e.g. Hello Goodbye Yes No The above words are in different cells, and need converting to a different code, for example H is 1, e is 2, l is 3 and 0 is 4, so Hello would be 12334 The entries to the cells will be different, so I can't just do a select case and have Hello as one of them. Is there any way of doing a select case type statement, but for it to look at individual characters in a cell and cycle through until it's finished and then move onto the next c...

filling cells with info from other file (unique id)
I like to know if its possible to get information from an excelfile and put this in another excelfile using a unique id-number. When I fill a cell in A-column with for example 12345, I want excel (or vbamacro?) to look in another file (xls\txt, or?) for 12345 and transfer the rowvalues to the corresponding columns in the worksheet I started with. Can anyone put me in the right direction how to do this? Is it some standard functionallityu of excel or is it something I have to program? Thnx --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You could use a VLOOKUP formula to extract data...

Why can't I type on a certain section of a word document?
I am typing an outline, and after III. there is 3/4 of blank page, then IV. begins on next page. I have tried to find a break page marking, but do not see one. This must go out tomorrow - HELP! If you're using the built-in heading styles for your outline, be aware that they are all formatted as "Keep with next." This causes them all to stick together until a paragraph intervenes that is NOT so formatted. In any case, check the formatting of your paragraphs because "Keep with next" and/or "Keep lines together" (or even "Page break before&qu...

Data Validation / Cell Entry
Hi Is there a way I can force a user to make an entry in a cell without using macros/code? EG: If the result of cell A1 = "XYZ" can I force them to make an entry in cell B1. ( If cell A1 = "" then no entry is required in B1). Hope that makes sense. Thanks Steve This won't force the user, but it will make it obvious. Format C1 in nice bold red letters and put a formula in that cell like: =if(and(a1="",b1<>""),"Please clear B1",if(a1="xyz",b1=""), "please put something in B1","") (...

VBA selecting an input range of cells
Hi I have a small request for help with code. I need a simple macro to have popups request the first and last cells in a range , and then to select the range indicated in the popups. Can someone help? Grateful for any assistance Something like: Sub PickaRanage() Dim s1 As String, s2 As String, s3 As String s1 = Application.InputBox(prompt:="Enter address of first cell", Type:=2) s2 = Application.InputBox(prompt:="Enter address of last cell", Type:=2) Range(s1 & ":" & s2).Select End Sub -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201001 ...

Filename in Excel Cell Address
Is there a way to insert an excel spreadsheet filename into a cell within the same spreadsheet, like the &[File] command in the Header/Footer screen? -- Thanks, RickS yes =CELL("filename") -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "RickS" <RickS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A801EEC7-608B-4394-B991-BBBC889D451A@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to insert an excel spreadsheet filename into a cell within > the > same spreadsheet, like the &[File] command in the Header/Footer screen? > -- > Thanks, > Ric...

Style Pane is empty
Hello, I am using Word 2007 on Office XP. I am editing a file created by another user. When I display the Style Pane, it's empty. Any ideas? I have had the same experience with a few documents that I received by e-mail from one of my students. I don't know what is causing it, but it might depend on the version of Word the document was created in (judging by the compatibility options, the person used Word 2002 to create the file). The following procedure seems to fix the issue, though: In the Styles pane, click Options and choose something other than what is currently...

Trying to delete info in a cell
I have 1 column of information with over a thousand rows of info. I want to just delete some info in the cell and keep the rest. Anyone have any idea how to do this? Here's an example of my info: AABERG 0.000 83.839 38738 AADLAND 0.000 87.245 58868 AAGAARD 0.000 85.690 48524 I want to delete all the numbers. Ay help woud be greatly appreciated. ASAP Utilities, a free Add-in available at www.asap-utilities.com has a built in feature that will strip out all numerical characters from a string. hth Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "E2K3Tek" wrote: >...

Text Not Showing in Cell
I'm using excel to produce reports with almost all text. Some cells have a lot of words. Text Wrap is on. Row Height is set to AutoFit. Most cells show up just fine. Some have hidden words that run on under the next cell below. I have even encountered some cells that cut off right through the middle of the text. I can, of course, manually change the height of each row, but this report is over 200 lines long. Same problem happens when printed. Please help. Excel is not the greatest text editor. Have you considered doing the report in Word, using the Tables function? You co...

zip codes become 0 after merge excel to word
About half the records show up as a 0 in the zip code field after I merge into Word to create mailing labels. I have reformatted the column to text, tried formatting as special zip code, but stil about half the records merge as 0 zip even though there is a 5 digit zip in the Excel file...this is driving me crazy! I did sort the workbook by zip code for bulk mail. Does anybody have any suggestions? Debra Dalgleish posted this: There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you: Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/as...

Automatic changes in cell entries
How does one shut off the abjectly rediculous habit of Excel insisting on knowing better what I want for cell entries than I do? EG If I type AKs I want AKs not Aks... :mad: I have reviewed all the options in Tools|Options as well as other places to no avail. TIA tools-option-edit and the last item <enable autocomplete cell values> uncheck this doco <perdedor@centurytel.net> wrote in message news:#LhMjTA4EHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > How does one shut off the abjectly rediculous habit of Excel insisting on > knowing better what I want for cell entries than I ...

How do I restore a missing menu bar in Microsoft Word 2003?
My Word 2003's menu bar disappeared. (File, Edit, View, etc). How do I restore it? I am not in Full Screen view. Thank you! Use http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm. For Word 2003, the registry key to rename/delete is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Data -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. Kathy V wrote: > My Word 2003's menu bar disappeared. (File, Edit, View, etc). > How do I r...

Making MIcrosoft Word type from Right to Left
Hello. If I have a long DNA sequence and I want to reverse it to read right to left instead of it reading left to right, does anyone know how to do this the easy way without having to retype everything manually? For example, if I have: Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz I want: zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba Does anyone know the shortcut or the function? Thanks a lot. No idea about Word, but if you have Excel then you can dump the string in there and use the following function to reverse the string, then paste back into Word:- For recent versions of excel Function ReverseText(cell) Revers...

Word 2007 question
How can I use a persons name listed in the address in the salution of a letter without copying? I've tried a bookmark but am unsuccessful so far. On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 16:14:01 -0800, DJ <DJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I use a persons name listed in the address in the salution of a >letter without copying? I've tried a bookmark but am unsuccessful so far. See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to th...

Lock cell dimensions
After I have adjusted the row and column dimensions to just the way that I want them, can I lock them so that they will be the same next time it is loaded/opened? Thanks Brian Tozer "Brian Tozer" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message news:bs971s$vkb$1@lust.ihug.co.nz... > After I have adjusted the row and column dimensions to just the way that I > want them, can I lock them so that they will be the same next time it is > loaded/opened? > > Thanks > Brian Tozer > > Why do you need to 'lock' them? When you close a workbook and open it again, ...

Cant merge cell
When I merge two cells , the contents of which are X and Y, I get only one X in the merged cell. Worthless... I would like to get XY This is not possible in Excel, but if you wish you can use this formula in another cell, If X is in cell A1 and Y is in cell B1, you can write this formula in any cell: =CONCATENATE(A1,B1) I am no expert, maybe somebody else can come up with a better solution Regards "Dadada" wrote: > When I merge two cells , the contents of which are X and Y, I get only one X > in the merged cell. Worthless... > I would like to ge...

"" is an empty cell?
Dear All If I insert ="" in cell A1 and =2 in cell B1, then when I insert =A1*B1 in cell C1, I do not get 0. Does not "" correspond to an empty cell? Thanks in advance, Paul No it doesn't. "" in a cell is a null string which means it isn't empty but contains "". You're formula =A1*B1 is multiplying "" by 2 which is effectively multiplying a text value by 2, so it will return #VALUE! Regards, Alan "Paul Smith" <phhs80@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1159970351.191296.70950@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com......

Importing Word Document #2
I'm using Publisher 2002. I want to import a Word document containing pictures and drawings that are layered so that the drawing is imposed on the picture. The text of the document uses footnotes as well. When I import the document and then reformat it using Page SetUp to put it into booklet format two bad things happen. 1. A picture with its overlaid drawing does not show up with the drawing overlaid, and I can't seem to fix that. 2. The footnotes appear in a different text box from the main text and the main text does not flow properly to the next page. Instead, some of the main t...

Cell Issue
I have a cell in excel 2007 and it contains a paragraph but when you click out of the cell it looks like "############################################################" How do I get it to look like the data that in the cell? Hendrix brought next idea : > I have a cell in excel 2007 and it contains a paragraph but when you > click out of the cell it looks like > "############################################################" > > How do I get it to look like the data that in the cell? The contents of the cell are more than what can display in the cell at its ...

I saw somebody else extract part of a cell
In my list, there are inventory numbers in columns, like such: 023012977500000 023015877700000 What I would like to do is somehow get rid of the first set of numbers, the "0230" set, and also the end set, the zeros. I saw somebody at work do something similiar once, with a command or function...it looked like he was telling it to count over X places, then get the rest of the numbers maybe? Any suggestions? Tia, A A use MID. If your data is in cell A1, then in another cell on the same row, say B1, put: =MID(A1,5,LEN(A1)-9) Regards Trevor "AngrieWoman" <angrie....