Split text cell into seperate colums without splitting up a word

I have text cells with sentences ranging from 0 to 160 characters long. I
want to break these into 40 character chunks (in separate cells), but don't
want to split any word in half. ie, if the 40 char mark is in the middle of
the work, I want to go backwards, find where the word starts and split from
that point. It's exactly like a wrap text -- but I want to split those lines
up into separate cells.
thanks
kaf

If your sentence were in A1, use these 4 formulas:

B1:
=LEFT(A1,MAX((MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:40")),1)=" ")*ROW
(INDIRECT("1:40"))))

C1:
=LEFT(TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,B1,"")),MAX((MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT
("1:40")),1)=" ")*ROW(INDIRECT("1:40")))-1)

D1:
=LEFT(TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,B1&C1,"")),MAX((MID(A1,ROW
(INDIRECT("1:40")),1)=" ")*ROW(INDIRECT("1:40")))-1)

E1:
=SUBSTITUTE(A1,B1&C1&D1,"")

All of them are array formulas except the one in E1.
Array formulas require you to press ctrl/shift/enter.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

0
Jason

format changes when copying from one cell to another
I'm sure this is simple, but it is not clear to me... I am copying the contents of a group of cells that exist on one worksheet to another. In Sheet2, I tell cell A1 that it should equal Sheet1's A1 value. That works fine. But if the cell is blank on Sheet1, it comes up as "0" on Sheet2. I figured it was probably assuming numeric formatting, but when I right-click > format cell on both Sheet1 and Sheet2, both show up as "general", so why would Sheet2 take a blank value and populate it with "0" ?? I gather than you are putting a formula in one...

How to get TASK_ID field for summary tasks without using Project.a
I know for tasks which are not summary tasks we can get TASK_ID field using statusing web service. But i could nto find any other options than Project web service to get TASK_ID field for summary tasks and the top level project task. Problem of using Project web service is that in my custom sharedpoint web part where we are using PSI web services we get all the data required using Resource and Statusing web service for the logged in resource. But Statusing web service retrieves TASK_ID only for actual tasks and not for summary tasks. Now just to get TASK_ID of summary tas...

Move to match cells
A B C D E 1 000801025-8 009601025-3 2007 000801025-8 2007 2 000801026-9 009601026-4 2004 000801026-9 2004 3 000801028-1 009601028-6 2006 000801028-1 2006 4 000801036-8 009601036-3 2008 000801036-8 2008 5 000801044-5 009601044-0 2007 000801044-5 2007 6 000801044-5 009601055-0 2004 000801055-5 2004 7 000801055-5 009601064-8 2001 000801064-3 2001 8 000801055-5 009601091-2 2006 000801091-7 2006 9 000801064-3 009601095-6 2002 000801095-1 2002 10 000801091-7 009601097-8 1998 000801097-3 1998 11 000801091-7 009601098-9 2004 000801098-...

Results from blank linked cells
I am linking cells from different worksheets in the same workbook, using the copy/paste/link cell method. How can I get a blank space (as opposed to the zero I am presently getting), in the destination, if the source cell is blank. I am linking a input sheet to several forms that must be sent out, but I don't want a form that will have a number of zeros in it. =if(sheet1!a1="","",sheet1!a1) If the linked cell looks empty, show empty, else show the value. Mr. Anolog wrote: > > I am linking cells from different worksheets in the same workbook, using the &g...

copy a pdf graph into a word document
I'm trying to copy and paste a graph from a pdf document into a Word document. My operating system is Windows Vista. I've tried to print from the pdf document but nothing happens. I have several graphs that I need and don't want to have to copy them all out by hand. Any help would be most gratefully accepted. My email address is: hokokeha@hotmail.com Thanks in advance Hi, BernieMurray, Is the real problem that you are unable to print the PDF? Are you using Word to try to work around that problem? -- Susan Ramlet -- please reply to the newsgroup so a...

Case select returning error when cell contains #N/A : how must i avoid this error
Title says it all Thanks, Luc maybe this will do what you want Sub test() If Not IsError(Range("C1").Value) Then Select Case Range("C1").Value Case 1 MsgBox "1" Case 2 MsgBox "2" End Select End If End Sub -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Luc" <lferr@live.be> wrote in message news:7AB07996-F1EE-41C1-8D9D-8A7DA54CED91@microsoft.com... > Title says it all > > Thanks, > > Luc Thanks for your help !!!!! Luc "Gary Keramidas" <GKeramidasAtMSN.com> schreef in berich...

How to slant cells in Excel on top of chart at about 45 degrees
Trying to make a chart and slant cells at the top at about a 45 degree angle with borders and still be able to type into it. Is this possible? ckricci Wrote: > Trying to make a chart and slant cells at the top at about a 45 degree > angle > with borders and still be able to type into it. Is this possible? HI ckricci Try Format > Cells > Alignment Tab and set the Orientation to 45 degress -- Paul Sheppard ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2...

retain only rows with condition that cells in column H containing "AU"
I have a large database containing columns with one column specifies the product name. In one instances, I need to retain only rows with condition that cells in column H containing "AU" of the entire string in the cell. Delete those rows without it. The problem is , that the AU of the string can appear in any position, not a fixed position. Is there any simple way of doing it? Many Thanks! Regards, Bora Hi, You can use AutoFilter. Choose the command Data, Filter, AutoFilter. Then open the autofilter drop down in the column H and choose Custom and from the first drop down, t...

validation list or combo box dependant on cell value
Am i able to determine the values shown in either a validation list or combo box being dependant on a value in another cell? ie: Cell A1 = BOB then validation or combo box would then base it's list from the named range (or whatever the solution may be) based on Bob. if i was to change A1 to ROY then it would also change the underlying list? I have tried everything that i think SHOULD work but that it pretty limited... thanks in advance rich I'd start with Debra Dalgleish's site: http://contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html Richard Edwards wrote: > > Am i able to deter...

worksheet labels based on cell results
How can I build a macro to use the contents of several cells in a column to label a corresponding number of worksheets with their contents. Ideally this would also build links to the tabs so that a user could click on a specific cell (in that column) and be redirected to the corresponding worksheet Thanks, Mitch Hi for labeling the tab try something like activesheet.name=activesheet.range("A1").value For the second question try using a Hyperlink (Insert - Hyperlink) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mitch wrote: > How can I build a macro to use the contents of ...

I want to stop a colum total and start it from nought (Access2003
I want to total a column of values and when it gets to a signal value, start it from nought from the next result entered. On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 07:05:01 -0800, KevinS <KevinS @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to total a column of values and when it gets to a signal value, start >it from nought from the next result entered. > You'll have to post some more description of your table structure and what you mean by a "signal value". You can see your database... nobody else can! -- John W. Vinson [MVP] ...

copy without space
I copy a cell to another app. and it contains a space. How should I cop from Excel without this space -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

IN EXCEL, WHEN I CLICK ONA SINGLE CELL It HIGHLIGHTS WHOLE Page
please help Hi maybe: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "confused" <confused@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:36180425-96C2-4368-9DE0-3E60741154FF@microsoft.com... > please help Just click on a cell and nothing else? Or perhaps you mean click on a cell then as you move the cursor around other cells are selected like the cursor is stuck? If the former, you must have some event code which selects the cells or you are clicking on the gray box at intersect of rows and columns(top left above ro...

Help with cells auto formatting
Hi, I have posted a similar question before however I never really got this sorted so sorry for repeating myself. Basically I use two spreadsheets daily at work all with various information on and various formats in each Column. My problem is when I close the spreadsheet and reopen it the cells that are formatted as 'general' or 'number' turn into Euro currencies. Does anyone know why this happens or how I can stop it? The spreadsheets aren't stored locally they are stored on a serve that only myself and my boss can get onto and we both have the same p...

Displaying Sheet Tabs Names in Cells
Can anyone tell me if there is a way for me to display the Name of a Sheet Tab in a cell. Take for example I have 4 worksheets, labelled Shawn, Kevin, Mary, & Data. In data, I want it to show the name of the worksheets. So in Cell A4 I would like it to say Shawn, then in B4 I can put Shawn's data in. Is there a function or a formula that allows me to do this. Thanks for any help. Hi Maybe this UDF will do for you. ------ Public Function TabI(TabIndex As Integer) As String Application.Volatile TabI = Sheets(TabIndex).Name End Function ------ Insert the function in...

mapping keystroke to a cell
I would like to map a keystroke to a cell and have it add up the number of times the keystroke has been applied. For instance if I touched the A key 3 times it would give me the value of 3 in one cell. If I touched the B key 2 times it would give me the value of 2 in another cell. I'm thinking of using this in a laboratory situation. Where I could count the different types of blood cells under a microscope using the keyboard. Once I reached a total of a 100 diffent types of cells it would play a .wav file that would alert me that the count of 100 had been reached. Using a differ...

How to merge columns and rows into one cell besides using Merge and Center Icon?
I had posted this question before, but I couldn�t find this thread in any of the pages up till page 17. So I�m posting again. I want to merge all rows and columns starting from A1 to J2, with no lines in between into one cell. My text data value are in D1 and D2 respectively. Using Merge and Center Icon will only retain the upper-left most data, resulting the data in D2 to be deleted. So how to merge all rows and columns into one cell and yet prevent the data in D2 to be deleted? Any help will be greatly appreciated. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from h...

Pivot Text
I know that excel is probably not the place to be doing this but..... I am wanting to create a matrix of information that is currently all in columns text. I have tried to use pivot tables but obviously whenever I drop text into the values area it is ecpecting a number. What can I use as an alternative Excel 2007 PivotTable With Text (and tricks) http://www.mediafire.com/file/yt1zy2nwgm0/12_11_09.xlsm http://c0444202.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/12_11_09.xlsm ...

conditional formatting not working in every cell
I have a worksheet that has conditional formatting set for an grade that is below 95 to turn red. The total worksheet has 160 entries and the formatting works on most of the cells except 4 vells show a grade of 95 and its in red. There are several other cells that are at 95 and are not red. I did a paste special across the worksheet, I have also tried to change the cell itself and I still get the same problem. Any way to fix this? Is it possible that your CF refers to the cell above or below the actua cell? i.e conditional formatting in B2 looks in B1 or B3 Something to look into. Re...

Apostrophes in Blank Cells
I am importing Excel data that has what seems to be blank cells but on closer inspection I can see an apostrphe in the formula bar. That's not a problem because I have written a macro to identify apostrophes and clear the contents of these cells. The mystery is that when the same data is imported on a friend's computer with the same version of Excel the apostrophe does not appear in his formula bar (although they are still non-blank cells) and so my macro will not work on his computer since it doesn't see the apostrophes. Although I can write a different macro in his case, ...

Cell Comments #3
First off, I inherited a PC at my new company and the old users name appears in the new comment field, how can I change it to mine. Second, how can I change the default font and appearance of new comments. Thanks, Mark Tools > Options > General and enter your user name -- Gary''s Student "markstro" wrote: > First off, I inherited a PC at my new company and the old users name > appears in the new comment field, how can I change it to mine. > Second, how can I change the default font and appearance of new > comments. > Thanks, Mark > > #1. h...

Fill color in autoshape based on cell data
Dear Experts I have a range of cells with an autoshape in each cell. I would like to have the fill color of the autoshape change based on the results of an if statement in each cell. The if statment would return "G", "R", & "Y". The fill colors would be green, red, and yellow. I don't want conditional formatting for the cell fill color, only conditional formatting for the shape I was thinking a select case macro, but can't seem to get the code correct. However, I am a novice at macros Thanks for any assistance Jodi You could use the worksheet ...

centering text box in a table cell
Trying to do a project. I am attempting to center a text box in a row of a particular table. If I put it inline, I can kind of get it centered, but, it stays to the left side in the cell, doing about 32 of them, and they are all the same, tried adjusting, but must be doing something wrong. Select the text box, click on the dog icon on the picture toolbar, click none. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Bruce" <notreally@idontwantoo.com> w...

excel count cell with color conditional formatting
Can i count number (sum) of cells in a column colored with conditional formatting ? thx the formula is =ISNUMBER(MATCH(D3;$AL3:$AR3;0)) column D3:D400 color red It' difficult. See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CFConditions.html -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Marco" <marco.w-no-spam-please@email.it> wrote in message news:OL%23BeyG7FHA.2384@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Can i count number (sum) of cells in a column colored with conditional > formatting ? > > thx > > the formula is =ISNUMBER(MATCH(D3;$AL3:...

linking (many) multiple cells to one worksheet
Hi. I have created (so far) a work book for the sales people in my offic that shows: how many leads they have received (via mail, internet an other) vs. how many sales that person has made. The work book is set u so each month is on a separte work sheet and has its respective totals with links to another worksheet that links those totals to show ho each sales person has been doing for the entire year (i will call i the "total" worksheet). In each month (and on the 'total' worksheet there is also a row for "House" sales - which is a total of leads/sale received from...