space between text strings with concatenate

I'm using the concatenate function to join two bits of text - but I want a
space between, and the function joins them together without a space.  How
can I insert a space into the resulting text please?  (It seems to me that
we would want such a space in ANY two text strings which we join together
with concatenate - wouldn't we??  Why doesn't it put one in by default?!)

Thanks
Jeff

0
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

=text1&" "&text2

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jeff" <no_em@ilplease> wrote in message news:42275bd0@212.67.96.135...
> I'm using the concatenate function to join two bits of text - but I want a
> space between, and the function joins them together without a space.  How
> can I insert a space into the resulting text please?  (It seems to me that
> we would want such a space in ANY two text strings which we join together
> with concatenate - wouldn't we??  Why doesn't it put one in by default?!)
>
> Thanks
> Jeff

0
nicolaus (2022)
3/3/2005 6:54:47 PM
CONCATENATE is a worthless function. You can join text
strings using the ampersand (&). To add a space, use:

=A1&" "&A2

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

0
jasonjmorin (551)

Excel puts spaces after the decimal
When I type 1.50 in any cell in any worksheet Excel displays it as 1. 50. I have checked the decimal points in the format number, currency etc as well as in Tools , options I even checked my Windows settings and re-installed Excel but the problem still stays. PLEASE can somebody help. Did you check under Tools|Autocorrect Options to see if there was something changing the dot to dot-space-space? Isabel wrote: > > When I type 1.50 in any cell in any worksheet Excel displays it as 1. 50. I > have checked the decimal points in the format number, currency etc as well as > in...

How do I make a water mark for an existing text page in publisher
When I insert a picture on my document then properties for watermark and arange to send to background the water mark disappears. and if I try other ways then my text on my original document dissappears. Put your watermark on the Master Page (ctrl+m). Any picture can become a watermark if you use the wash out feature. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "jimmyy" <jimmyy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D0FCE3D-0A94-4908-BC33-2D9DA59DF614@microsoft.com... > When I insert a picture on my document then properties for watermark and > arange to send ...

Line Spacing in OutlookXP
When selecting stationary(sunflower) I lose the ability to change line spacing. When I type a list it double spaces, but when I type text it single spaces on the wrap. I cannot find a way to change the line spacing to single spacing. Outlook XP. I'm not sure if this is the best answer to your problem, but if you use SHIFT+ENTER instead of just ENTER for a return, you should get a single space instead of double. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** ...

Formula to sum values extracted from string
Hi all I'll preface this by pointing out that I do NOT want to use text to columns, nor a VBA solution. I'm looking for a formula alternative - maybe an array formula. I have a single column of data extracted from a string, which represents numeric values, single space-separated. The data looks like this: 8.56 2,514.12 3.18 0.35 What I'd ideally like is a formula that sums each of the four values, which in the above example would be 2,526.21. Any suggestions appreciated. >8.56 2,514.12 3.18 0.35 Assume that string is in cell A1. Create this named...

Unable to see Russian Strings in .RC file.
Hi, I have an application developed in MFC. I have an XML file to read the strings and load the same on the Dialogs, Buttons etc at the runtime depending upon the Language of the O/S. Like, my application shows English, Danish, Czech, Italian etc languages properly. But I want to support Russian Language, which is were I am facing problem. I found some threads and understood that since my application is not UNICODE i am not able to see the Russian strings and instead seeing garbage text. I then created a sample MFC app and included _UNICODE pre-processor definition in the project settings ...

text to excel
Hello I have 15 different text file which i want to import in one excel fil at one go can ewe do it with the help of a macro thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You can do it with a macro, but perhaps easier is to combine the text files in DOS and then import to Excel. To combine in DOS, have all the files in the same folder, open a DOS prompt and type something like the following: COPY C:\MyDocuments\TextFiles\*.txt AllFiles.txt HTH, Greg "vikram >" <<vikram.15hgsx@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:vikram.15hgsx@excelforum-nospam.co...

how to keep text with next paragraph
"Church Mouse" wrote: > What is the problem? Version? ...

string comparsion using access--help
Hi I using access 2003. I am trying to compare data from two tables. Table A and Table B. Table A has 12 digits in 1 column and table b has 10 digits in 1 column. I need to compare Table A data starting in position 2 and ending in positon 11. I tried using instr function but it did not work. SELECT A.ItemLookupCode, B.ItemLookupCode FROM A, B WHERE InStr(2, A.ItemLookupCode, B.ItemLookupCode,11, COMPARE) Thanks Cbs On Jun 28, 1:56 pm, "Cheryl" <cboxiesc...@mindspring.com> wrote: > Hi > I using access 2003. I am trying to compare data from two table...

protecting a text box in spreadshhet
This is defeating me I have a text box in an excel sheet, I can protect the sheet ok but the text box always remains unprotected (ie the user could change the text) How do I protect it? thank you. Un-protect the sheet Right-click on edge of TextBox and Format TextBox>Protection Protect the sheet. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 16:42:21 +0100, "SS" <nonense50@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: >This is defeating me I have a text box in an excel sheet, I can protect the >sheet ok but the text box always remains unprotected (ie the user could >ch...

space between text strings with concatenate
I'm using the concatenate function to join two bits of text - but I want a space between, and the function joins them together without a space. How can I insert a space into the resulting text please? (It seems to me that we would want such a space in ANY two text strings which we join together with concatenate - wouldn't we?? Why doesn't it put one in by default?!) Thanks Jeff Hi Jeff, =text1&" "&text2 -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Jeff" <no_em@ilplease> wrote in message news:42275bd0@212.67.96.135... > I...

Is there a way to make a staircase text effect?
Is there a way to create a string of letters that will remain erect when the object they are part of is rotated? I want to create a staircase effect where the letters look like they are sitting on the steps of a staircase and be able to alter how steep the staircase is and have the letters remain vertical. Thanks -- Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com (11/09/04) Nothing built-in per se. You'd have to create separate shapes that belong to a group, and do some ShapeSheet programming. The shape's could then "anti-rotate" relative to the group (Angle = - GroupSheet!Angle...

Outlook converts my HTML email to text
But only occasionally, and I have to click on the message bar and choose Display as HTML to see it as it was meant to be seen. How can I stop Outlook from arbitrarily displaying HTML email as text? -- Dena Jo Email goes to denajo2 at the dot com variation of the Yahoo domain. Plonk the bastards: http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/trolls.html Why would you want to view mail in HTML? That is dangerous. All mail should be read and replied to in plain text for security reasons. "Dena Jo" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:Xns97D04AD6B6C9FDenaJo@130.133.1.4... > But only o...

Text boxes when mouse goes over the cell.
In a document i have recieved from a client, in excell, when i put my mouse over certain color coded cells, text boxes come out with lengthy descriptions. This sems highly usefull, and i would like to know how to do this. Anyone know? It seems all cells with a colored corner have these descriptions. Select the cell of interest, then: <Insert> <Comment> -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.c...

running out of disk space
I am running out of disk space on my backend server serving all users. there is no more room for additional HD. Will it be possible for me to purchase an additional server and move some mailboxes over to the new server and run both concurrrently? Will i still be able to use single namespace with front end server? Whate about mapi, will i be able to use single name space with mapi? Hi Tony Yes that sound like a simple enough solution and i don't forsee any problems with you adding an additional server, also if you are running Exchange Enterprise 2000 or 2003 you could simply add...

Convert File text box appears
I have the capability to to open resumes that have been submitted by potential future employees so that I can assign them to the correct department manager. Just recently I've started having a problem in that some of the resumes, after I launch them, I get a Convert File text window. I've tried every option in this list but I either get an error and nothing opens up or I get the boxes and other strange characters. I believe that the ones that I'm having problems with most likely were created in something other than Word, such as Works, Wordpad, Notepad, etc. I hav...

Return a number in one cell to long hand text in another.
Ie. 123.65 to One hundred, Twenty Three & Sixty Five Cents Take a look at http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- HTH RP "CP" <CP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0D9B8E3-3D66-4EA0-9184-57762BD663D6@microsoft.com... > Ie. 123.65 to One hundred, Twenty Three & Sixty Five Cents Go to Google and search the newsgroups for "spell number" On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:07:02 -0700, "CP" <CP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Ie. 123.65 to One hundred, Twenty Three & Sixty Five Cents ...

How to enter informational help text?
I have a number of column headers that I would like to define for users. Is there a way to enter text in the background so that when someone hovers over the column with the mouse, then will get the definition of that field? These are customized column fields. For example- One column is Method of Delivery. I want to enter a definition when one hovers over "method of delivery" to state, " Way in which the data is received. ie.e internet, feed, etc. On Feb 18, 12:03=A0pm, amcb <a...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >...=A0Is there a way to enter text in t...

empty text box
I am brand new to Access (a Paradox user) and am bewildered by the Text Box issue. I have a report in which I want to add a page footer that states the report is confidential. When I try to go to print view, it asks me to enter a parameter value. this is so frustrating, please help. Thanks! That would not be the problem. It is asking for parameters for the query that is the report's record source. -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "peabody" wrote: > I am brand new to Access (a Paradox user) and am bewildered by the Text Box > issue. I have a report in whi...

Unbound text box calculation
Thanks in advance for the assist. My mind went numb... What must I do to have an unbound field only perform the calculation for the current open record that I am working in and not show data in a new records same unbound field when I go to the next record entry? I have an unbound text box on a form - call it Box C. In it's properties control source I have a calculation (i.e. =text box A input / text box B input) that I wish to show within the form prior to moving to the next record. I then wish this field to recalculate or return null (if box A and/or B are empty). Box C ...

Is there a way to group text so it stays together?
Hi, I am editing a document, and it is a pain going through and re-editing page breaks after making changes to it. If i could simply select a paragraph or small section that I want to stay together and mark or group it somehow to stay together so that if it gets pushed down from other text above, it will stay together, either at the end of a page if it fits, or all of it would be pushed to the next page. Is there a feature like this? Thanks, Alan Go to the Line and Page Breaks tab of the Format Paragraph dialog and check the box for "Keep lines together" ...

convert text to formula using VLookup
My question; I've seen somewhere that you can convert a text string into a formula using the INDIRECT Function. What I am constructing is a maintenance Schedule where some items need to be serviced on a weekly basis, others monthly, quarterly, bi-annually, and yearly. (Those are the only five rotations I require at the moment.) Once constructed the format will take on the appearance of a calendar with conditional formatting to highlight the dates the service falls on. Each of the rotations require (I think) different formulas, so what I want to do is have a list of the f...

Text duplicating itself in text boxes on subform.
I've googled this one high and low, but can't find a similar hit. Client opens employee record with Address subform embedded. The screen shot they sent me shows the data corrupted as follows, with an diminished copy of the text tacked onto the end. Imagine the following, but without the spaces, which I added for clarity. City: Madisonville adisonville disonvi State: KYY Zip: 42431 2431 431 31 1 You can view the actual screen shot here ... http://www.amazecreations.com/datafast/Citrix_Issue.jpg Has anybody ever seen anything like this? If I told you it happens on an Access ...

How To Import Text File With No Delimiters?
I have a text file with over 2,000 names that look like the following: Mr. Benoit Smith 120 Adam Street Dorchester, MA 02124 Marcus Darbouze 1553 Blue Hill Avenue Boston, MA 02126 American Public Health Initiatives 10 Fairway Street Mattapan, MA 02126 Most consist of 3 lines some as many as 5. The text file has no delimiters so that when I import/open it in Excel it becomes just one very long column. I need to convert it or parse it into any other database friendly importable format i.e., .dbf, .xls, .csv etc. What I need is to convert it into a table with up to five header rows: head1 he...

Text Missing From Ribbon Items
Four some reason today when I'm in a form's design view and multi-select items, the Position tab is missing the text that were associated with it's items. For instance the Equal Horizontal and Equal vertical, among other text is missing now, only the icons is present. The text was present this morning. Any ideas on this? James ...

how do we check the nullity of a string
hello friends, i am using ms access 2003, i have a couple of doubts 1. how do we check the nullity of string with vb6 code 2. when we use the code MsgBox(" hello world"), then hello world will be displayed. now i want to embedded double quotation marks in the output messsge i.e for example i want the out put as hello "the" world. i mean the output should include quotation marks too. how can i accomplish this? thanq Too check the nullity of a variable simply use isnull() if isnull(varname) then .... As for quotations, if you absoltely want them you'll n...