sound clip as a result of conditional formatting... ?

Does anyone know if it is possible to have Excel play a sound clip as a
result of conditional formatting... ?   Or maybe as a macro ?

I'm a fairly junior Excel user, so go easy, k ?
0
sparky (7)

You can play a sound with a VBA call to a Windows API:

Declare Function sndPlaySound32 Lib "winmm.dll" Alias _
    "sndPlaySoundA" (ByVal lpszSoundName As String, _
    ByVal uFlags As Long) As Long

Sub AAA()
    sndPlaySound32 "chimes.wav", 0
End Sub

Change "chimes.wav" to the sound file you want to play.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"sparky" <sparky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if it is possible to have Excel play a sound
> clip as a
> result of conditional formatting... ?   Or maybe as a macro ?
>
> I'm a fairly junior Excel user, so go easy, k ?

0
chip1 (1821)
12/4/2005 11:52:35 PM
Really appreciate your help, Chip!

....not certain where/how to insert this code, however.
can you spare another moment to tell me ??

Thx again,
JohnC

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

> You can play a sound with a VBA call to a Windows API:
>

> Declare Function sndPlaySound32 Lib "winmm.dll" Alias _
>     "sndPlaySoundA" (ByVal lpszSoundName As String, _
>     ByVal uFlags As Long) As Long
>
> Sub AAA()
>     sndPlaySound32 "chimes.wav", 0
> End Sub
>
> Change "chimes.wav" to the sound file you want to play.
>

> --
> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> www.cpearson.com
>

> "sparky" <sparky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Does anyone know if it is possible to have Excel play a sound
> > clip as a
> > result of conditional formatting... ?   Or maybe as a macro ?
> >
> > I'm a fairly junior Excel user, so go easy, k ?

0
sparky (7)
12/5/2005 5:06:03 PM
Hi John,     (this is old from Dec  3rd to 5th but it looked like you are waiting for an answer)

You did not really describe what you wanted to do.

What   Chip gave you was macro code that you can invoke a macro
to play a chime (which you asked for),  but you can't use it in Conditional Formatting.
You can read more about Conditional Formatting in
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm
but be aware that playing a chime is not formatting so you can't
use Conditional Formatting.

Since you want a chime it is probably to be used as an error condition
that you want them to correct the data just entered in error, in which case you
probably want to look at cell validation.   (try the Flash presentation first)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/validation.htm
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html    -- Data Validation
    http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/ExcelMain.htm  -- Data Validation [Flash presentation]
 Additional places to find Excel Tutorials  on
     http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm#tutorials

If you want to do something yourself using a Change Event macro

Install Chip's code at the TOP  of a standard module -- a new module in your personal.xls would be fine
as the declarations above the SUB should be at the top.  I'll change the name
from AAA to chimes.    If you have never installed a macro in your personal.xls
see   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm
additional help in calling a function or a macro  in
        http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/install.htm

Option Explicit
Declare Function sndPlaySound32 Lib "winmm.dll" Alias _
    "sndPlaySoundA" (ByVal lpszSoundName As String, _
    ByVal uFlags As Long) As Long

Sub chimes()
    sndPlaySound32 "chimes.wav", 0
End Sub

You can call that macro from another macro
     Application.Run "personal.xls!chimes"

You could for instance call it from an  Event macro, which cannot
have your Function in it but you can call a macro that uses the function.
More on Event macros in

Two event macros examples  one for a double-click and one
to  chime if not numeric or number is greater than 360.

Install as a worksheet macro by right click on sheet tab
then   "View Code"   and then insert the following code.

Option Explicit
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
  Application.Run "personal.xls!chimes"
End Sub

   If Target.Column = 3 Then
      On Error GoTo errors
      If Target.Value > 360 Then GoTo errors
   End If
   Exit Sub
errors:
   On Error GoTo 0
   Application.Run "personal.xls!chimes"
End Sub

---
HTH,

"sparky" <sparky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1BCFE52C-6088-4F13-B481-D9A62CFC434C@microsoft.com...
> Really appreciate your help, Chip!
>
> ...not certain where/how to insert this code, however.
> can you spare another moment to tell me ??
>
> Thx again,
> JohnC
>

> "Chip Pearson" wrote:
>
> > You can play a sound with a VBA call to a Windows API:
> >

> > Declare Function sndPlaySound32 Lib "winmm.dll" Alias _
> >     "sndPlaySoundA" (ByVal lpszSoundName As String, _
> >     ByVal uFlags As Long) As Long
> >
> > Sub AAA()
> >     sndPlaySound32 "chimes.wav", 0
> > End Sub
> >
> > Change "chimes.wav" to the sound file you want to play.
> >

> > --
> > Cordially,
> > Chip Pearson
> > Microsoft MVP - Excel
> > Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> > www.cpearson.com
> >

> > "sparky" <sparky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Does anyone know if it is possible to have Excel play a sound
> > > clip as a
> > > result of conditional formatting... ?   Or maybe as a macro ?
> > >
> > > I'm a fairly junior Excel user, so go easy, k ?

David,
Great info. Thanks. I'm still in need.I love to add sounds & wav files to
worksheet or workbook opens etc. My problem is I want to sent a workbook to
someone via email attachment and therefore I lose the wav file referred to in
the macro. Any idea how to "attach" or "imbed" the related files to the
workbook?

Any help is always appreciated.
Jeff
JPPolucci@tooHOtmail.com

"David McRitchie" wrote:

> [...]
>
> ---
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>
> "sparky" <sparky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1BCFE52C-6088-4F13-B481-D9A62CFC434C@microsoft.com...
> > Really appreciate your help, Chip!
> >
> > ...not certain where/how to insert this code, however.
> > can you spare another moment to tell me ??
> >
> > Thx again,
> > JohnC
> >

> > "Chip Pearson" wrote:
> >
> > > You can play a sound with a VBA call to a Windows API:
> > >

> > > Declare Function sndPlaySound32 Lib "winmm.dll" Alias _
> > >     "sndPlaySoundA" (ByVal lpszSoundName As String, _
> > >     ByVal uFlags As Long) As Long
> > >
> > > Sub AAA()
> > >     sndPlaySound32 "chimes.wav", 0
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > Change "chimes.wav" to the sound file you want to play.

jeffP6507 (8)
12/18/2005 6:20:02 PM
Hi Jeff,    (posted to excel.misc)
Hopefully you would only ever send the wave file once,  and I expect
people would only want one copy.   i.e.    c:\winnt\system32\winmm.dll
so other than a note as to where they might install the  .wav   file
I don't see packaging them in the same email if your are going to
update the Excel file regularly.   The example given was one
that they would already have.

Anyway I wouldn't know how to automatically search the system for
the  .dll  and  include it in the email.

As far a embedding them in a workbook don't know how,  aren't the
big enough now.    Using those keywords though here is a posting
by Chip Pearson using    OLEObjects.Add   have no idea whether
it does what you want.
 http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=O%23keBlTfBHA.2112%40tkmsftngp02

--
HTH,

"jeffP" <jeffP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
> My [additional] problem is I want to send a workbook to
> someone via email attachment and therefore I lose the wav file referred to in
> the macro. Any idea how to "attach" or "imbed" the related files to the
> workbook?

David,
I wasn't thinking so much of the winmn.dll but the wav file itself( ie audio
into notes to Joe.wav) that I would like to open when he opens the workbook.
Yes, a repetitive workbook would make sense to send the  wav file separtately
but a one time workbook......
I'll check your suggested link on OLE objects and again thanks.

"David McRitchie" wrote:

> Hi Jeff,    (posted to excel.misc)
> Hopefully you would only ever send the wave file once,  and I expect
> people would only want one copy.   i.e.    c:\winnt\system32\winmm.dll
> so other than a note as to where they might install the  .wav   file
> I don't see packaging them in the same email if your are going to
> update the Excel file regularly.   The example given was one
> that they would already have.
>
> Anyway I wouldn't know how to automatically search the system for
> the  .dll  and  include it in the email.
>
> As far a embedding them in a workbook don't know how,  aren't the
> big enough now.    Using those keywords though here is a posting
> by Chip Pearson using    OLEObjects.Add   have no idea whether
> it does what you want.
>  http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=O%23keBlTfBHA.2112%40tkmsftngp02
>
> --
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>
> "jeffP" <jeffP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
> > My [additional] problem is I want to send a workbook to
> > someone via email attachment and therefore I lose the wav file referred to in
> > the macro. Any idea how to "attach" or "imbed" the related files to the
> > workbook?

0
jeffP6507 (8)

excel data label format special number characters (part 2)
Addendum to Previous post: I realized I omitted one crucial element from my previous post: I want the fractional data label to be a non-simplified representation of the source data (e.g. - if the source data is 10/6, I want the data label to be 10/6). Previous post: I'm trying to create bar graphs containing fractional data labels. The catch is, I want each bar in the series to have a different denominator value. Excel allows you to preset the denominator (e.g. - ?/4), but that denominator affects all members of that series. The question is, is this do-able and if so what special...

Excel conditional formats
Is there anyway of having more than 3 conditional formats in excel? "Eric Hudson" <Eric Hudson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:78E42F61-DCB5-45E1-8652-3D84C2D5E4B8@microsoft.com... > Is there anyway of having more than 3 conditional formats in excel? J E McGimpsey has a page "Getting 6 conditional *font colours* without macros" which includes links to other C/F sources. HTH, Andy How do I find 'J E McGimpsey'? This is my first time asking for information on this discussion group. "Andy Brown" wrote: > "Eric Hudson...

Lebans Report2PDF
First off, I want to express how much I appreciate this tool, and if I can't get around this issue it's not the end of the world. However I am having a small formatting issue I want to see if anyone has any suggestions for. I have a report that has three side by side sub- reports within it, each of which can grow. The middle sub-report has web addresses which I've formatted with underlines and colored blue to help the customer realize they can click on it to go straight to that page (which is really a function of their reader, but many customers wouldn't realize they could d...

Cell format Issue
When enter 899405090111023400 in my excell sheet, it always convert to 899405090111023000 why is this? changing cell format doesn't help -- mar "marlon" <marlong@ceytel.lk> wrote: > When enter 899405090111023400 in my excell sheet, > it always convert to 899405090111023000 > why is this? Because Excel treats that as a number. On data entry, Excel will convert only the first 15 significant digits. Moreover, Excel will display only the 15 significant digits. > changing cell format doesn't help Actually, it does -- if you format th...

display count/results of filtering Excel in status bar
I have two Excel spreadsheets. In one the results of applying a filter are displayed in the status bar - eg. '24 of 144 records found'. In the other I get just 'Filter mode'. I've examined the option settings - they appear identical. There are no macros attached to the sheets either. The '24 of 144 records found' type of message is very useful. How do I make all my spreadsheets produce it on filtering? Found the answer - a bug in Excel which stops the status bar displaying the count if the sheet contains 51 or more calculated cells. The 'fix' is to t...

formatting time #2
How do I take off the seconds in my time-formatted cells? They look ok in the worksheet (h:mm) but in the formula bar and when I merge the data into WORD, the seconds show up. I also created a Custom format and that didn't work. Hillary You can format the merge field in Word. Right-click the field and after the field name type \"hr:mm" Regards Peter >-----Original Message----- >How do I take off the seconds in my time-formatted cells? >They look ok in the worksheet (h:mm) but in the formula >bar and when I merge the data into WORD, the seconds show >up. I...

Formatting Cells on a Table Word 2003.
I have a table set up on a document in Word 2003. Is there a way to format each cell that when I type a 1 it automatically turns into a $1.00. Just like when you format cells in excel that if you format it to a accounting and type a number in that cell it automatically turns it to $*.** Word doesn't support setting a numeric format for table cells directly, but you can do it if you insert text form fields (with a numeric format specified in the Text Form Field Options dialog box) into the cells and then enable forms protection. Note that if you don't want a protected documen...

Im making a website and cant get sound.
Hey guys, Trying to make a website through Publisher for a school, with deaf children i would like to make a site where the children hover over a picture or click the picture and it produces a sound. When i go to help it gives me information about background sounds. This doesnt help as i want it over a picture and i cant seem to do it. If you guys know how to do what im trying to do please reply here and explain how i could get a sound when i click on a picture. Many thanks Hi Jake Harp...

How to turn off auto format phone no's in outlook Bracket+dash
When adding phone no's in Outlook contacts, they auto format with brackets for the first two numbers as for area code and then dash in the middle of the numbers. How can that be turned off ? My country settings are for Australia. I have tried formatting options in outlook as described in knowledgebase, but nothing seems to make a difference. Thanks Masking of phone numbers in Outlook is hard coded and not subject to user control. In some later versions, masking is turned off if you set a <null> dialing location for your entire operating system, but that's hardly a practica...

Video Problem
I converted a file from a movie clip to a windows media file, and installed it into my presentation. It plays no problem, but I have no sound. Help! Have you checked "Sound Volume" for the file (Right-Click, "Edit Movie Object")? Do you have sound when you play the file outside of PP with WMP (or any other player)? -- James Orlando (Goofy says "Hey"), Florida "harleyfiremedic" <harleyfiremedic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4CFB6455-19C0-4000-8095-5C84E1EDA929@microsoft.com... > I converted a file from ...

2003 Contacts format in Outlook 2007?
I'm new to using Outlook 7, and would like my Contacts list to look the same as it di in Outlook 2003: full contact information in multiple columns instead of in one column, as seems to be the default in 2007. Can I use the 2003 format? Post is too vague. What is a Contacts List? To what view are you referring? I know of no views that changed substantially between Outlook 2003 and 2007. -- Russ Valentine "JohnC" <JohnC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:596CED0A-0948-40CB-8F9F-E29A6D6153C1@microsoft.com... > I'm new to using Outlook 7, ...

Is .TXF File format possible in Excel or ?
Turbo tax can read data directly in from a .txf file. I don't see this format as a save to in Excel. Is it possible or is there another program that reads excel files and will convert ot .txf ? I think MS money may? It would simplify data entry into TurboTax considerabley. thanks to all! ...

Conditional Format 04-21-10
Hello, I would like to set a conditional format to color each unique value a different color. It will also be applied to multiple occurences of the value. The problem is that the values are dynamic and may not always be the same number of occurences, in the same cell, etc. I have used the formula IF(ISNUMBER(COUNTIF($F$3:F3,F3)),ROW(),"")) to try to identify the occurences but creating a conditional format has proven out of my league! The way the spreadsheet is designed, the probability of more than 4 IDs being used at any given time is slim, so the next time IDs are...

How to change a color of a cell using a condition formula
I would like to change the color of a cell automatically using a condition formula.....is this possible? Yes, go to Format | Conditional Formatting. -- Regards Juan Pablo Gonz´┐Żlez "Carlos" <Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1330539A-8B3B-44DE-AF70-1E686D172379@microsoft.com... > I would like to change the color of a cell automatically using a condition > formula.....is this possible? Hi see 'Format - Conditional Format' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Carlos wrote: > I would like to change the color of a cell automat...

Formating of cell size-
Hi- It should be simple but I can t figure it out. Cells are locked to size from top to bottom of document .Yes I can adjust the heights and widths but how do I format some cells in the bottom of a document that I dont want to be the same size as ones a little higher in the document. ? Thanks Scott Scott Row heights and column widths are the properties of the entire rows and columns. IF you will not use the sheet for anything but appearance only I could suggest using the "merge cells" feature. I hesitate to make this suggestion due to the problems created by merged cells whe...

Number format / field size
I want to set a Primary key with 16 digits - 4 groups of 4 numbers with spaces between - which I can use in a calculated field to increment. I have tried every permutation I can think of, can anyone help please? Use 4 separate fields, put contraints so that none of them can exceed 9999, and concatenate them into a single field in a calculated field in a query. Use the query wherever you would otherwise have used the table. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "Kitty R" <Kitty R@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

Formatting #9
I have a column of data, which is formatted in currency. I would like to be able to change $45,000,000.00 to say 45.0 without re-typing the information. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance Penny Hi Penny You can apply a custom number format of #.0, Each comma will knock off three zeros Good Luck Mark Graesse mark_graesser@yahoo.co Boston M ----- Penny wrote: ---- I have a column of data, which is formatted in currency. I would like to be able to change $45,000,000.00 to say 45.0 without re-typing the information. Is there a way to do this ...

Formatting Axis Titles
I am running Excel 2002 and Windows XP server on a network PC. When I generate a scatter plot and attempt to re- format the axis titles, the active text boxes exclude the right-most string of text. In other words, it appears that the text box resizing is failing. Any suggestions? I have been doing this for years on previous versions of EXCEL and Windows and have not problems on my home machine with EXCEL 2002 and Windows XP home. Thanks You could try adding a couple of spaces and a period to the end of the title. To prevent the period from appearing on machines without the proble...

Adding Time Format
I am adding time for a day and would like the total to be returned in a different format. If I needed the time between 8:30am and 12:00pm added up it displays 3:30 as my total. How do I have it display 3.5 as the total? Currently the total cell is formatted [hh]:mm. Thanks for the help. you need to do something like this A1: 8:30 AM A2: 12:00 PM A3: =(A2-A1)*24 and then format A3 as a number. "jtinne" wrote: > I am adding time for a day and would like the total to be returned in a > different format. If I needed the time between 8:30am and 12:00pm added up > i...

vc++vs2005 resource conditions not working, is this a bug?
Hi, I upgraded my VC++ 2003 application to VC++ VS2005, everything works okay, however it is ignoring the resource preprocessor conditions that use to work within vs2005, in otherwards it is now displaying the wrong versions of dialog box etc.. Is this a bug? in anycase it is very frustrating, any help, and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks >I upgraded my VC++ 2003 application to VC++ VS2005, everything works okay, >however it is ignoring the resource preprocessor conditions that use to work >within vs2005, in otherwards it is now displaying the wrong ver...

Custom Format for hours and minutes
Probably not possible, but thought I'd ask anyway... I altered the h:mm time format to the custom format h "hrs", m "mins". So, if I type 3:3, the cell reads "3 hrs, 3 mins" just fine. But if I type 1:1, I get "1 hrs, 1 mins" . Is there some custom format that will drop off the "s" when the hour or minute is "1"? Furthermore, can such a format drop off the hour or minute altogether if a "0"? Here's a recap of what I'm looking for: I Type Cell Reads ------- ------------- 2:2 2 hrs, 2 ...

Formatting Issues #2
I made up a flyer like message for some property I'm trying to seel in Outlook. I had it formatted just the way I wanted, but when I sent it to my Yahoo account to test it, the formatting was all messed up. How do I keep it from doing this? Hard to say without any details. You have to be aware that designing for a website is something different than designing for a mail client. Mail clients and especially web based mail clients do not support all HTML and CSS formatting options in the way a webpage would. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outloo...

Where Condition (OpenReport)
I am struglling with the Where condition when I use OpenReport. In a form I have a list box in which I can choose multiple selections. Then in my report I want to the "email" field to equal the current list box selection (I have it loop through each selection). Will it work with a mutiple selection list box? I know the code below is wrong but I am looking for help on how to state the where condition: DoCmd.OpenReport "1", acViewPreview, , "[email] = " & Nz(lst.Column(1, varItem)) Thanks! -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.co...

Date Format #9
Hi I copy a SQL Query output and place it into Excel. The time column shows dates as 4/7/2006 4:02:10 AM, 2/28/2006 10:37:39 AM, 3/1/2006 1:56:40 PM. IS there a way to get rid of the hr, min and secs ? I used the format cells function on eg 4/7/2006 4:02:10 AM, 2/28/2006 10:37:39 AM, 3/1/2006 1:56:40 PM. and the columns show 4/7/2006, 2/28/2006, 3/1/2006. However, when you select the each cell, it still actually retains the values as 4/7/2006 4:02:10 AM, 2/28/2006 10:37:39 AM, 3/1/2006 1:56:40 PM I need the dates only because I am plotting a graph. With the hr, min and sec fun...

Sound in email when I want
My provider has a very good spam checker which labels mail. I can set up a filter to send such mail, which also does not come from anyone in my address books, to a folder for checking later. I don't want either the sound or notification when this happens, but I do want both of these when 'good' mail comes in. Is there a way? -- Jim S Tyneside UK http://www.jimscott.co.uk "Jim Scott" wrote in message news:Xns996DD27019080jim.jimXscott.co.uk@85.214.90.228... > My provider has a very good spam checker which labels mail. I can set > up a > filter to ...