sorting question #8

hello,
I am having a problem with sorting the following:

cells in column A have military time in them and to the right of A,  col B
thru G are merged so that somes lengthy notes can be typed into the cell.
Now, the times in the A cells will corrrespond to the notes on the right.
ex:
A1                      B1thruG1
1500                   employee smith reported to work late, his assignment
is xyz....
1600                   employee jones reported to work late, his assignment
is xyz....
1400                   employee green reported to work late, his assignment
is xyz....

notice that sometimes notes will be entered out of chronological order and
so therefore at the end of a work night the data entry person will sort the
time column.
When the time is ajusted in ascending order the notes should follow.

PROBLEM:  When I select the A column to sort is asks me if I want to expand
the sorting to the data immediatley to the right (B thru G) of course I
select that I do want to expand the sorting. BUT THEN a message pops up
stating that the in order to do this the merged cells must be identically
sized.
I have to have the A cells designated for the times and the notes cells
separated from the times and merged from B thru G. This is so that the data
is entered nice and unifrom time on the left and the notes starting at the
same point right on down the column.  I tried merging  A thru G and just
entering the time and then some spaces to start the notes section, but this
looked messy and plus too hard for the people i work with to remember to put
a uniform amount of spaces between all the times and notes.
HOW can I keep it the way that I have it now and sort despite A cells not
being merged with the notes data in B thru G?

Thank You
Brian

0
Brian8214 (439)

Hi Brian,
To keep your data on a row together,
First select all cells  (Ctrl+A)   see my shortx2k.htm page if you have Excel 2003.

Then invoke the sort from   Data,  Sort
 indicate if your columns have headers.

My page on sorting is
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm
---
HTH,

"Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4CECCB6F-94A8-4BF7-B909-EFFF1F094194@microsoft.com...
> hello,
> I am having a problem with sorting the following:
>
> cells in column A have military time in them and to the right of A,  col B
> thru G are merged so that somes lengthy notes can be typed into the cell.
> Now, the times in the A cells will corrrespond to the notes on the right.
> ex:
> A1                      B1thruG1
> 1500                   employee smith reported to work late, his assignment
> is xyz....
> 1600                   employee jones reported to work late, his assignment
> is xyz....
> 1400                   employee green reported to work late, his assignment
> is xyz....
>

> notice that sometimes notes will be entered out of chronological order and
> so therefore at the end of a work night the data entry person will sort the
> time column.
> When the time is ajusted in ascending order the notes should follow.
>
> PROBLEM:  When I select the A column to sort is asks me if I want to expand
> the sorting to the data immediatley to the right (B thru G) of course I
> select that I do want to expand the sorting. BUT THEN a message pops up
> stating that the in order to do this the merged cells must be identically
> sized.
> I have to have the A cells designated for the times and the notes cells
> separated from the times and merged from B thru G. This is so that the data
> is entered nice and unifrom time on the left and the notes starting at the
> same point right on down the column.  I tried merging  A thru G and just
> entering the time and then some spaces to start the notes section, but this
> looked messy and plus too hard for the people i work with to remember to put
> a uniform amount of spaces between all the times and notes.
> HOW can I keep it the way that I have it now and sort despite A cells not
> being merged with the notes data in B thru G?
>
> Thank You
> Brian

0
dmcritchie (2586)
11/28/2004 4:21:29 AM
This will not work because there are other data on the sheet unrelated to
what needs to be sorted.
Thanks

"David McRitchie" wrote:

> Hi Brian,
> To keep your data on a row together,
> First select all cells  (Ctrl+A)   see my shortx2k.htm page if you have Excel 2003.
>
> Then invoke the sort from   Data,  Sort
>  indicate if your columns have headers.
>
> My page on sorting is
>   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm
> ---
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>
> "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4CECCB6F-94A8-4BF7-B909-EFFF1F094194@microsoft.com...
> > hello,
> > I am having a problem with sorting the following:
> >
> > cells in column A have military time in them and to the right of A,  col B
> > thru G are merged so that somes lengthy notes can be typed into the cell.
> > Now, the times in the A cells will corrrespond to the notes on the right.
> > ex:
> > A1                      B1thruG1
> > 1500                   employee smith reported to work late, his assignment
> > is xyz....
> > 1600                   employee jones reported to work late, his assignment
> > is xyz....
> > 1400                   employee green reported to work late, his assignment
> > is xyz....
> >

> > notice that sometimes notes will be entered out of chronological order and
> > so therefore at the end of a work night the data entry person will sort the
> > time column.
> > When the time is ajusted in ascending order the notes should follow.
> >
> > PROBLEM:  When I select the A column to sort is asks me if I want to expand
> > the sorting to the data immediatley to the right (B thru G) of course I
> > select that I do want to expand the sorting. BUT THEN a message pops up
> > stating that the in order to do this the merged cells must be identically
> > sized.
> > I have to have the A cells designated for the times and the notes cells
> > separated from the times and merged from B thru G. This is so that the data
> > is entered nice and unifrom time on the left and the notes starting at the
> > same point right on down the column.  I tried merging  A thru G and just
> > entering the time and then some spaces to start the notes section, but this
> > looked messy and plus too hard for the people i work with to remember to put
> > a uniform amount of spaces between all the times and notes.
> > HOW can I keep it the way that I have it now and sort despite A cells not
> > being merged with the notes data in B thru G?
> >
> > Thank You
> > Brian

0
Brian8214 (439)
11/28/2004 4:35:07 AM
I like to select the whole range and not have excel guess at what I want.

But I think after you do that, you still may have trouble with the merged
cells.  I've always had much better luck without the merged cells.

--

Dave Peterson
0

0
dmcritchie (2586)

Great Plains Standard installation 8.0
On the test server we have installed the program and the data tables on the same server. When we go live, we intend to install the program on one server and the data on another. Will this be a problem? Is there anything in particular we need to do for this? How will license work. Will this be looking at Database server or the application server. What happens when I do upgrade or apply service pack. Please advice. Also, has someone run into this scenario. What are the advantages and disadvatages of the above scenarion. Thanks again By the sounds of what you describe you are simply ins...

Macro Question Again
I'v never had any dealings w/ macro before, so this is all new to me. I have a windows 98 computer that is running office 2000 and there is an excel macro on this pc that was created by someone years ago. I have to get this 98 machine of the network and replace it w/ a 2000/XP platform also running either office 2000/xp. So far i'v copied the macro and am able to run it, but its not gathering the correct info. It is collecting the correct info on the 98 machine, just not the one im replacing it w/. It looks like some of the fields are supposed to be populated w/ info in a text d...

Question on Returns to Vendor without PO & Receipt number
Our company switched to Great Plains Dynamics from Simply Accounting 3 months ago. We currently need to return some of the inventory items to our vendors. However, when we try to enter a transaction entry in Purchasing/Returns Transaction Entry, in the detail lines we are asked for the PO number or the receipt number. We are not allowed to go further or save without the PO number or receipt number. When we converted from Simply Accounting, all we entered was the beginning balance of the vendors and only the PO's which we expect to receive. The older PO's were not carried over. W...

Licensing Question with Professional Suite
Hey, I've seen some licensing questions out there, but wanted to be clear. Microsoft Reps are giving me different information, but admit they do not know!? I think there needs to be a little more training with the CRM licensing. I need the CRM Professional Suite (sales and service). If I have 5 sales people (that don't really need to get into the Service Stuff), and I have 5 Service People (that don't need to do anything with Leads and other stuff), can I purchase 5 Sales Professional Users and 5 Service Professional Users? Or do I still need to purchase the Suite User...

Questions about Migrating from Outlook Express to Outlook
I'm thinking about migrating from OE 6 to Outlook 2003 and was wondering if I will lose my folder structures, rules, and address book by doing so. I also use Yahoo POPs for importing my Yahoo e-mails into OE. Will I need to reconfigure the Yahoo POPs to work with Outlook after the migration? Thanks in advance for your help! Spudy Not sure about the YahooPOPs thing but using Outlook's File menu > Import & Export command should get most of the data. You can also try exporting from OE. "Spudy" <spudy@spamless.com> wrote in message news:th1hd1ddvnto8he4fsv9mluf...

only the first 5 columns of a 10 column excel spreadsheet sort
How do I get the whole spread sheet to sort? There is a blue lox for the first 5 columns that limits the range of the sort. How do I remove it? Using Office 2003. Maybe if you remove the Data|list Select a cell in that blue box. Data|list|convert to range jrw562 wrote: > > How do I get the whole spread sheet to sort? There is a blue lox for the > first 5 columns that limits the range of the sort. How do I remove it? > Using Office 2003. -- Dave Peterson ...

IF question...
I need a formula which will allow me to accept a number if it falls within a certain range. For instance, I want the cell to recognize the number in the cell if it falls between 1 and 10. Otherwise, I want the cell to return a 0 value. Anybody? =IF(AND(A1>=1,A1<=10),what?,0) On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:15:06 -0700, "mailrail" <mailrail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need a formula which will allow me to accept a number if it falls within a >certain range. For instance, I want the cell to recognize the number in the >cell if it falls between 1 and 10....

Outlook macro question
I have two email accounts in Outlook 2003. I know about the Accounts drop list in new emails. But is it possible to create a few macros so that I end up with two buttons where each runs a macro that starts a new email using a specific account? One button would start a new email using account 1 and the other button would start a new email using account 2. If so, could someone please give me some pointers? Thanks. Outlook doesn't provide any direct way to change the account for an = outgoing message in versions before Outlook 2003. See=20 http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=3D88...

Stack overflow question
Occassionally when on Facebookwith MSIE if I have 2 instance of Facebook open (Different pages) I will get an error message of "Stack Overflow at Line: 31". When I click OK the page finishes loading fine. Any suggestions as to what is going on? Running: <<< System Summary >>> > Manufacturer : eMachines Inc. > Mainboard : eMachines WMCP61M > Chipset : nVidia GeForce 6100V > Processor : AMD Athlon Neo MV 26 @ 1600 MHz > Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM ) > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ...

About FRx 6.7 for Great Plains 8.0
"Table Failed to Open" has been prompted after generating the report even I was using the sample provided. How could it be solved? Hi Alexis, This sounds like a connection problem with your database(s), maybe both the samples andd/or your live GP data. Are you able to quickly perform a "dump" of the chart of accounts in a new row format. Steps = New Row Format >> Edit >> Add Rows from chart of accounts You may also want to check your settings under: Company >> Information and confirm that your ODBC settings are correct ( or pervasive if you are ...

Easy question on Excel...
Hello I have an Excel workbook open which has 5 worksheets. How do I toggle through them manually without using the mouse to click a sheet? I am sure I used to know how but now I forget! Regards Alex Try Ctrl + PageUp Ctrl + PageDown Regard -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Well done. Thanks. >-----Original Message----- >Try > >Ctrl + PageUp > >Ctrl + PageDown > >Regards > > >--- >Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > >. > Ctrl + Page Up or Page Dow -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi I th...

Excel template and access questions
We are going to use the Excel purhase order templates. We need to save each order in order to refer back to it. Is there a way to do this without saving each individual file (order)? Can we save in some sort of easy to locate "batch"? Also, is there a way to transfer a template that we have done (and all the data realted to it) into a Acess database withouthaveing to so much tweaking? If you have Access, I would suggest creating your purchase order database in Access and then having a mail merge push this information into an Excel template as needed, rather than going the othe...

Button Control Event: question
I have a small dialog that prints data it queries from a server to a listbox when a user presses a start button. What I'd like to do is to have the data continually print after the button is pressed until the user presses a stop button. So, I guess I would need to initiate some kind of continuous loop for the data querying/printing, but I'm unsure how to get the stop button to break the loop. If this even the best solution. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could accomplish this, or perhaps a better design idea? Thanks, Marcus Marcus wrote: > I have a small dialog that prints d...

Simple question about text within a cell
I can't seem to find the option that prevents text from covering the adjacent cell. For example if I type the folling in cell A1: All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth. Obviously that will overflow over the cell B1 (if there is no data in B1). I don't want to resize my column, I only want the cell to show as much text in A1 as possible without covering cell B1. I believe I've seen the option to do what I'm looking for but I can't seem to find it and I can't figure out how to look it up in the HELP file. Thanks in advance. Rick My simple solution ha...

Some stupid questions about edit the aspx file
Hi, I'm quite newbie about asp.net & other web application. I've heared that we can put some code in the CRM aspx file. For example, we can make OnChange event to the textbox in CRM & put some code in it. I know it is unsupported by microsoft, but I need to know how to do it. I've been searching this newsgroup & microsoft.public.crm, but I couldn't found any sample. My question is pretty simple (or stupid, I guess): I've looked in inetpub\wwwroot\SFA\quotes\edit.aspx, but I don't know what to do. My friend telling me that the code behind, is under som...

Windows Pro C.O.A. Question
I have a Dell Latitude D510 with Windows XP Pro SP2 installed. It's used and the machine didn't come with a restore disk, and there is no restore partition. But the COA sticker is attached to the bottom of the machine. I have an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro with SP2. If I have to reinstall the operating system, can I use the OEM version and use the laptop's COA to activate Windows? I realize that I may have to hunt down drivers such as WiFi and sound if they aren't included with my OEM copy. Thanks Don wrote: > I have a Dell Latitude D510 with Windows X...

Address Book renaming contacts. (2 questions)
For WHATEVER reason Outlook 2002 - XP is renaming my contacts in my address book.. so when I try and use autocomplete it doesn't work. (Type in "Sha" to get the choice between Shadow and Sha'mer and it just gives me Sha'mer) So - gritting my teeth - I go in and change the name of the contact BACK to Shadow and it STILL doesn't register in the autocomplete. 1) How the (ahem) do I get Outlook to stop renaming my contacts? 2) How do I get it to recognize names in the autocomplete? I now have about 7 that it doesn't, and it's a royal pain. Thanks for your tim...

RMS User Question/Problem
Hello, I Downloaded and installed Microsoft Dynamics RMS, but when I first run it (for the first time) it asks me user ID and password, but have not yet established one, and is the first time I run the program! (Or is it comes with some standard user / default?) User ID: 1 Password: password Robert Armstrong RMS Systems Inc. "F.Misle" <F.Misle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B29A28E5-315C-4A1A-9490-A497651736A0@microsoft.com... > Hello, > I Downloaded and installed Microsoft Dynamics RMS, but when I first run it > (for the first...

Excel, Macro designed to send mails via Outlook : question on certificate
Hi everybody, I created in Excel a macro designed to send specific mails via Outlook. Because an Outlook dialog box asked me all the time whether I authorize the transmission or not, I created a certificate using MS Office "SelfCert". So far so good. My macro is signed. However, Outlook keeps on asking me everytime to authorize the transmission of the mails. What should I do / check ? Anybody ? Many thanks in adavance for your time and kind help. Daniel Everything you wanted to know about sending emails fro Excel using Outlook. http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm Go...

sorting activities for each lead/contact by actual end dates
When I view the activities associated with each lead and contacts, the actual end date are not shown. Does anyone know how I can dispaly this field? The activities list in workplace does show the actual end dates but we'd like to see that when we access the list through indivial contact/lead record. Thanks, Victoria Hi Victoria, There is no good out of the box way to do this in MSCRM today. We're working hard to fix this for v2.0. Many of our customers have worked around this issue by registering for a post call out on the activity creation, and then having a custom object wh...

Sorting and Displaying data
I have some data, a list of names with locations and a single number. Something like: Steve 4 Boston Mary 3 Washinton Al 6 Boston Frank 2 Chicago Mort 8 Boston I want to have a seperate sheet that automatically lists the people from each city, sorted by the number. I would need this list to update 'on the fly' as new names are added with new numbers. So the output should be something like BOSTON WASHINGTON Mort Mary Al Steve etc. Thanks for any advice... ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup...

Newbie question
I have just started using Outlook, as it will talk to my phone whereas Palm Desktop won't, and I cannot find a way of displaying the day name as well as the date in Calendar's five and seven day views i.e., instead of the column heading displaying August 27, is there a way of making it display Friday August 27, as it does in Palm Desktop? I'm using Outlook 2002 (Office XP) build 10.2627.2625 with Win2kPro Thanks, DD Control Panel->Regional Settings, set your long day format to dddd. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion int...

Excel: Allow to turn on / off automatic header selection in sorts
Is there a way to turn off automatic selection of header rows in Excel when sorting data? I routinely sort a section of data by the first three columns, and a majority of times Excel wants to make the first row selected a header row. Extremely annoying. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "...

Back up question...
Hello... I am in search of advice in terms of back up software for our home. We have 2 pc's running XP, a laptop (wireless) running XP, and another laptop (wireless) running Vista. I have a SimpleTech external hard drive, USB, connected to my PC, with 4 folders, one for each of the PC's.. (eg: Vin, wife, kid1, kid2) Any suggestions on automatic back up software? I've been doing each unit manually... it's not a good idea, we tend to forget...free would help very much as well. Thoughts on Comodo? Hinxsoft? -- Thanks & B'rgds, Uncle Vinnie ...

Lookup formula question #2
Hi all, I have a Lookup formula setup to validate what the user enters against a list of stock codes, returning the item costs. Stock codes are A001, A002 etc, B001, B002, etc, D001, D002 etc If I then enter a stockcode starting with letter C, I get the item cost returned from the last letter B stockcode. How can I get it to return P.O.A. This is what I have at present. =IF(C4="Fittings",(LOOKUP(F4,Fittings!$C$1:$C$5019,Fittings!$D$1:$D$5019)),0)*AL4 C4 - Parent stock item description F4 - Stock code AL4 - Quantity Any help - greatly appreciated. -- PeterG ------------...