Sorting protected worksheet

Is there any way to sort a protected worksheet?  I looked
thru the posts here and found where someone said to create
a macro that unprotected the sheet, then sorted the data,
then protected it again.  I tried that, but everytime I
try to create the macro I get this error "Project Locked -
Project is unviewable".  Any suggestions?
0
Phyllis (10)

If the workbook is shared, you won't be able to unprotect it. Perhaps
that's the problem.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
12/15/2004 3:01:11 AM
I can unprotect it because I have the password, but it
says the project is locked, so it won't let me do a macro
that would unprotect it, sort it, and then protect it
again.  What I'm trying to do is protect the formulas in
the spreadsheet so that other users can't inadvertently
delete them.  But, they will need to be able to sort the
spreadsheet.  It won't let me sort a protected worksheet.
Any suggestions?

0
Phyllis (10)
12/15/2004 5:44:25 PM
Do you see [Shared] in excel's title bar for that workbook?  If yes, then the
workbook is shared and you have to unshare it to edit any macros in that
workbook's project.  (Tools|share workbook while you're in Excel.)

If the workbook is not shared, you can get that message by trying to unprotect a
project that was locked in xl2k (or higher) while you're using xl97.

If that's the case, go back to xl2k, unlock the project and then you can do
anything you want in xl97.  (you can always relock it later.)

Remember that the passwords for protection of a worksheet, of the workbook and
of the project can all be different.  So having the password for the worksheet
isn't enough to unprotect the VBA project.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Sorting a query 03-03-08
Hi, iv had some good feedback on this before so thanks to those who have helped, but im still stumped! Ill try to be a little more accurate. This data base is used in a production environment where more than one record will be added for a set product each day. eg product "A" will be added as a record containing a 'Total' of 20 five times each day. Therfore this being my reason for creating my query in the following way: But first, when a record is added, it adds the following info to my 'production table'. Product, Production Date, Production Time, size an...

protecting formulas
I am trying to find a way to protect formulas on a spreadsheet whil still allowing users to put in new data. Is there a way to do this? am using excel 200 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Cherilyn unlock the cells where you want input and then protect the sheet with a password. Format | Cells... | Protection tab | Locked = false (not ticked) Regards Trevor "Cherilyn >" <<Cherilyn.16krpe@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Cherilyn.16krpe@excelforum-nospam.com... > I am trying to find a way to protect formulas on a spreadsheet while ...

Rename of worksheet question
I have a time card that I created and want to take the name from one of the cells that is in a vlookup table, and use that name to add a new worksheet with that name. When I record the macro it uses the name that is in the cell originally, but when I run the macro it still uses the same name as the first time? Is there a way of qualifying that I want the "current value" not the original name in the cell as the name for the worksheet? Thanks in advance John John, try something like this, Worksheets.Add.Name = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value -- Pau...

Sorting in reverse (from right-to-left and from top-to-bottom)
Hello, Below you can find an example of my worksheet (A1:A9): DC03210 FE65520 BD92940 CT84170 GT99280 SE38734 FT01484 DR04567 RD31798 In this example, you see the sort as I want it (right-to-left and top-to-bottom). to be more specific, I want to have it sorted that you first see all the 'numbers' which end on 0, after that, 1 etc.But how can I let Excel do this sort? Now I'm first sorting all the numbers by hand. (yes, this is the 2nd time I board this message, but first I wasn's that specific, that's why!) Thanx (again)! Roger Excel can only use a maximum of 3 cr...

What is the IMAP equivalent of POP-file [OR] How to sort / classify with only headers
[....repeated... as there were no follow ups earlier ...] Hi Thanks for the replies >> >>1) Is the full message body downloaded? Rules won't run on headers >>only. Otherwise, rules should work on imap - what version of >>Outlook do you use? >> I use Microsoft Office Outlook 2003. I can't see any version number >> >>1) Is the full message body downloaded? Rules won't run on headers >>only. Otherwise, rules should work on imap Ok. The full body is *NOT* downloaded with IMAP So, are there any *other* programs / outlook add-o...

Worksheets #2
Hi Julie Thanks for the information and I think that will work for me. If not, I will be asking for help again. Hey, if I need any other problems I will post again on this site. Garry Hi Garry thanks for the feedback ... Cheers JulieD "GarryC" <garcom@knet.ca> wrote in message news:%23oAFJ7MDFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi Julie > > Thanks for the information and I think that will work for me. > If not, I will be asking for help again. > Hey, if I need any other problems I will post again on this site. > > Garry > ...

Worksheet tabs in Excel Charts
How can I change the height of a worksheet tab so that there is more than one line of text on it (for longer titles). AFAIK, you can't. In article <FF593550-6375-408B-8BAB-1B069BD2B2C7@microsoft.com>, Doreen <Doreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How can I change the height of a worksheet tab so that there is more than one > line of text on it (for longer titles). The tab gets wider to accommodate longer names, up to the limit of 31 characters. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - ht...

Data table with inputs from a differente worksheet
How can i create a data table in excel 2007, with inputs, formulas and calculation from a diferent worksheet? If the cell A1 of Sheet2 has the value 10, then the formula =Sheet2!A1 will return the value 10 Let's say I want to make the a formula on Sheet1 to sum a range D1:D5 on Sheet2: Type =SUM(; open Sheet2, and select the range D1:D5, type ); click the green check mark in Formula Bar or press Enter key to commit formula Not that if the sheet's name has spaces in it I will get a formulas like =SUM('Jan Sales'!D1:D5 - observe the single quotes Does this answer...

Copying result of formula into another worksheet???
I am having problems copying a formula result into another wksht if the formula is not used...hard to explain... D10=Sum(A1:A5) I want to transfer D10 to wksht Data E12, however if there is no data in A1:A5, I want E12 to remain blank. It looks like it is reading the formula, so it places a "0" or a "-".... Any ideas? Tools -> Options -> View Turn off zero values should get you part of the way. "Amanda" wrote: > I am having problems copying a formula result into another wksht if the > formula is not used...hard to explain... > > D10=S...

Protecting macros
I have a protected sheet with buttons assigned to macros. Howver the buttons are not protected and can be reassigned by a user using the R mouse menu. Any ideas to help would be gratefully received when you protect the sheet, ensure edit objects is not selected "Alec Mclintock" <Alec Mclintock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D22B5E4-21A2-4477-9762-645C0A2DD504@microsoft.com... > I have a protected sheet with buttons assigned to macros. Howver the > buttons > are not protected and can be reassigned by a user using the R mouse menu. ...

summing across worksheets conditionally and being able to copy for
I have about 50+ worksheets in a file that I need to sum. However, I only want to sum some of the sheets if it meets a certain criteria. This criteria is located in a separate worksheet in the file that lists each worksheet name in one column and in the next column it list the type of worksheet. If a worksheet is of a certain type I need the sum of those types. In addition. there are more than one cell that I am summing. The solution that someone provided me below worked great. So I tried copying the cell to grab the other data that I needed but the cell B2 which in his ...

Sorting #11
I have asked this question before with no response. I have an Excel workbook with multiple worksheets. On the first worksheet, I have entries (names) that are linked to the subsequent worksheets. Each worksheet contains different data related to those names. However, if sort the names on the first sheet, and they sort on the subsequent sheets, the data out to the side of the names doesn't sort. This is logical, but what I'm trying to do is find a way to make a sort of this kind possible. Does anybody have any ideas? Please contact me at the above email address if you can hel...

Scrolling Text Box Within Worksheet From Another
Hi! I'm creating a spreadsheet which is designed to enter updated comments against a customer account for the use by sales people - basically a poor mans CRM system! What I'd like to do is insert some sort of scrollable text screen within a worksheet that links to a raw data worksheet in the same spreadsheet. A little bit like this message box that we type in while posting a message, but pulling back information based on a specific condition like show me all the comments on customer x that have been entered previously. I'd GREATLY appreciate any advise! Nathan, I'm ...

Can I import my excel worksheet to my address book
Probably. Will you address book import CSV. Is the excel worksheet setup like you address book. What does it say in the help file? -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "joelcelyn" <joelcelyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD972561-C08E-447E-A56C-647FAC19CBD3@microsoft.com... > This is how I do it. The basics........Your layout may differ. Instructions here are for Name and Email address only, but adjust to suit for more columns. First have the names and email addresses in Excel in two columns. I set up also a third column with the names duplicated so when ...

Same Worksheet Opens Every Time Workbook is opened #3
Nope, I don't expect an immediate response. Whenever you can. I d appreciate your help. : -- rmm3 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- rmm30's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=835 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26030 ...

Taborder with unlocked cells in protected worksheets
Excel 2003, sp2 Hi, When you lock cells in a worksheet you can jump between the unlocked cells using the TAB key. Is there any way to influence the tab order (without having to use a lot of code)? Regards Pete When using the unlocked cells method your order can only be left to right and top to bottom. There are other methods...........one of which is using a named range with no protection. See Bob Phillips' site for this method. http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0008.html Other methods would use VBA code. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:46:34 +0100, ...

File protection
I thought I posted this yesterday, but I can't find it anywhere. - I want to be able to protect a worksheet, but also allow others to be able to use Autofilter. I don't see a way to do this in Excel 2000. IN 2002, when I go to Tools - Protection - Protect sheet, there is a list of things I can allow others to do, and Autofilter is in the list. however, even when I select this, autofilter is still greyed out. Can anyone tell me if this can be done, in either 2000 or 2002 ? Lynn- Here is Gord Dibben's response to your post from yesterday: ___________________ > lynn ...

Some sort of control blackhole!
You know when you add controls to a form, well everything was going fine until I added a couple of textboxes. For some reason Excel doesn't ack. the existance of these textboxes except in the form edit window. Does anyone know of a way to repair the spreadsheet so that I can reference these controls? I am at work and so can't install any new service packs if this would resolve it. (Not sure which servicepacks have been installed) After saving and reopening the filet his problem has resolved itself. ...

Sorting #14
Hi, I have a workbook with 14 sheets related to students. Sheet "personal" has personal information like address, date of birth... Sheet "marks" has the different marks for that student. The names of the students are copied from sheet "personal" (range A14:D58) to sheet "Marks" Joined in range B14:B58. The names are also copied to other sheets. This is done to avoide retyping the names another time in each sheet. When I sort the names alphabeticly in sheet "Personal" (sort for the whole line), automaticly the names are changed in sheet &qu...

Sorting Blanks?
Excel2003 ... I have formulas which calculate some cells to ... "" ... Blank Issue ... When I sort these cells the "" (Blanks) come to the top ... I wish to disregard the blanks & not have them sort to the Top. Can I do this? ... How? ... Thank ... Kha Maybe you can add another column to the range to be sorted and use a formula that returns a value that would sort to the bottom of the range. =if(a1="",rept("z",255),a1) Then drag down the range and sort by this field. Ken wrote: > > Excel2003 ... I have formulas which calc...

inserting 12 worksheets at once
I am using Excel 2003. I would like to insert 12 worksheet at the same time. Is there a way to make this happen? Thanks for the help! If your worksheet has 12 or more worksheets in it then you can add 12 additional ones by activating 12 of them (select one tab, hold down the shift key and select the 12th sheet, they'll be grouped, so don't change anything while they're grouped) and then selecting Insert/Worksheet. If you don't have 12 sheets in the file, then you'll have to do it for as many sheets as are in the file. This can also be done easily with VBA code if you w...

Excel 97
Hi all. I'm currently designing an Excel spreadsheet at work, and everything is exactly the way I want it when unprotected. However, my group and outline (1 group for each Quarter of the year (Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4) and 1 group for Yearly summary (QSummary)) does not expand when I protect the worksheet. The worksheet MUST be protected as I have some extremely large formulas and chart data that I need locked / hidden, but I want the users to be able to select what quarter they enter data into. Currently, I have to unlock the worksheet every time I want to expand a new section. Does anybody know ...

Displaying worksheet name in cell
Is there any way to display a worksheet name in a cell (without using macros). I have tried =MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255) but if I use this on multiple sheets in the same workbook, they all end up displaying the same name! Include a reference to each sheet: =MID(CELL("filename",a1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",a1))+1,255) Adrian wrote: > > Is there any way to display a worksheet name in a cell (without using macros). > > I have tried =MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("...

@How to add new worksheet on right side....
Sir, How to add new worksheet on right side of current selected worksheet? When I press Shift+F11, new worksheet comes on left side, but I want it to appear on right side. Another situation is that when I have many worksheet opened, like 15+, then I have to press Ctrl+PageUp/PageDown many times to select extreme left/right worksheet. Can there be a shortcut to make this happen? Also please tell where do I paste these(written below) in a code modulefor setting focus on the Name box and for renaming worksheet. Also tell how to create shortcut for these. Thanks in advance. W...

Sorting numbers
I am having difficulty when attempting to do a numbers descending sort, from a position where the data is in rows. I have no trouble with other sorts of this type, but in this particular sort, a six digit number is sorted behind a five digit number, because the first digit is smaller than the first digit of the five figure number. Any help please? - Also how do I avoid getting the title headings (shown in the left column, in the row alignment) unnecessarily involved in the sort? Thanks in advance douglas Douglas, I think Excel is seeing your 'numbers' as text and so is sorting the...