sorting numbers and numbers that contain text in excel

A column contains both strictly numbers  and also numbers that are followed
by text (e.g., row 1: 1000, row 2: 1500; row 3: 1000a; row 4: 1500a)
Identical numbers are related documents, with the text suffixes referring to
addenda documents; thus, document 1000 has an addendum document 1000a; How
can I sort the column so in the following order: row 1 (1000), row 3 (1000a),
row 2 (1500), row 4 (1500a)?
Thank you
--
MZ

=TEXT(A1,"0") will turn each into text, then sort by that helper column (and
don't accept Excel's suggestion to treat text that looks like numbers as
numbers).
--
David Biddulph

"MZ" <MZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A column contains both strictly numbers  and also numbers that are followed
> by text (e.g., row 1: 1000, row 2: 1500; row 3: 1000a; row 4: 1500a)
> Identical numbers are related documents, with the text suffixes referring
> addenda documents; thus, document 1000 has an addendum document 1000a; How
> can I sort the column so in the following order: row 1 (1000), row 3
> (1000a),
> row 2 (1500), row 4 (1500a)?
> Thank you
> --
> MZ

0
David
11/24/2009 10:56:48 AM
Thank you for the reply. I had already converted all the numbers into a text
format, yet it does not help.
--
MZ

"David Biddulph" wrote:

> =TEXT(A1,"0") will turn each into text, then sort by that helper column (and
> don't accept Excel's suggestion to treat text that looks like numbers as
> numbers).
> --
> David Biddulph
>
> "MZ" <MZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >A column contains both strictly numbers  and also numbers that are followed
> > by text (e.g., row 1: 1000, row 2: 1500; row 3: 1000a; row 4: 1500a)
> > Identical numbers are related documents, with the text suffixes referring
> > addenda documents; thus, document 1000 has an addendum document 1000a; How
> > can I sort the column so in the following order: row 1 (1000), row 3
> > (1000a),
> > row 2 (1500), row 4 (1500a)?
> > Thank you
> > --
> > MZ
>

> .

Are you sure that you converted the contents of the cell to text?  How did
you do it?
Or did you merely change the format of the DISPLAY to text (which has no
effect on the cell contents)?
What does =ISTEXT(A2) say (& for other rows)?
If they really are all text but they don't sort correctly, perhaps you have
stray spaces or other non-printing characters?  Does =LEN(A2) [and
correspondingly for other rows] show the length you expect for the text
string in the cell?
--

> Thank you for the reply. I had already converted all the numbers into a
> text
> format, yet it does not help.
> --
> MZ
>

> "David Biddulph" wrote:
>
>> =TEXT(A1,"0") will turn each into text, then sort by that helper column
>> (and
>> don't accept Excel's suggestion to treat text that looks like numbers as
>> numbers).
>> --
>> David Biddulph
>>
>> "MZ" <MZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >A column contains both strictly numbers  and also numbers that are
>> >followed
>> > by text (e.g., row 1: 1000, row 2: 1500; row 3: 1000a; row 4: 1500a)
>> > Identical numbers are related documents, with the text suffixes
>> > referring
>> > addenda documents; thus, document 1000 has an addendum document 1000a;
>> > How
>> > can I sort the column so in the following order: row 1 (1000), row 3
>> > (1000a),
>> > row 2 (1500), row 4 (1500a)?
>> > Thank you
>> > --
>> > MZ
>>

>> .

0
David

SQL in Excel data
Hi all, Is there a possibility/way to run an SQL query in an excel data sheet? I have quite some data like the sample below, now i would like to have the sum of spending for each person. Like it is possible in Access. A1 B1 Field1 Field2 Chuck 12,89 Mike 23,09 Jean 9,34 Chuck 30,00 Mike 3,80 Chuck 22,00 Mike 7,23 Jean 10,55 Jean 10,75 Jean 31,45 Chuck 19,99 Result Field1 SumOfField2 Chuck 84,88 Jean 62,09 Mike 34,12 Advice would be appriciated. Cheers, Ludovic Hi You could use a formula like this ...

Excel 2003 extract repeating cells

Payroll Batch Number
Is it possible to obtain the batch number of a transaction after it has been posted? I have been asked to create a report for our payroll department that lists the batch number in addition to the transaction detail that is contained in UPR30300. Thank you, Jeff Majchrzak No, the batch number is not available for reporting. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Jeff Majchrzak" wrote: > Is it possible to obtain the batch number of a transaction after it has been > posted? I have been asked to create a report for our payroll department that > lists the bat...

excel spreadsheet
How do I delete columns from my spread sheet? When I right click the word "delete" isn't highlighted, so it doesn't work. Is the sheet protected or shared? -- Regards, RD ===================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ===================================================== "Ang" <Ang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:418A7E09-1E8E-41E1-9988-82460B633629@microsoft.com... How do I delete columns from my spread sheet? When I right click the word "delete" is...

cell looses name after sorting
Can someone help me with the following problem in Excel 2000: in a table I have attached serveral cells with unique cell names, the values in these cells are used in other sheets. the problem is that when I sort the table, the cell names stay in the original rowposition; they are not sorted! while their values are. So Cell names get different values, and other calculations on my other sheets get messed up! How can I make the cell names relative instead of absolute? thankx in advance, Jim --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "jimfx >" <<jimfx.109zcv@exc...

Auto formatting features: How do I align page numbers in publicati
I've got a problem with my publication. I can't align even page numbers to the left without automatic moving the odd numbers to the left as well? Can someone help me? Cissy99 wrote: > I've got a problem with my publication. I can't align even page numbers to > the left without automatic moving the odd numbers to the left as well? Can > someone help me? You need to create a two-page master rather than a one-page master. What version of Publisher are you running? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org ...

Excel 2000 macro security Level
Hi! I am running an ASP.NET application which ideally opens an Exce spreadsheet with a macro included in it. When I try opening spreadsheet without a macro, everything works fine, but with macros, i hangs on the opening command. I tried to go to Excel 2000 and go t Tools->Macros->Security Level->Low but it still hangs when I try t open the macro spreadsheet. All works fine with the spreadsheet no containing macros, so it really is a question of macro security. But put it to low, so I don't understand how it is still not opening!! An help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and...

Running an Excel Macro from an Access Command Button
Hi , Can anyone help me with this, I am trying to run an excel macro from an access command button. I want the macro to Bold the Headings on a excel spreadsheet. The code runs without any errors but the macro doesnt seem to work, I think I have got the line ExcelApp.ExecuteExcel4Macro "RUN(""PERSONAL.XLS!BoldHead"")" wrong The code: Private Sub cmdRunMac_Click() Dim ExcelApp As Excel.Application Dim ExcelBook As Excel.Workbook Set ExcelApp = Excel.Application ExcelApp.Visible = True Set ExcelBook = ExcelApp.Workbooks.Open("C:\Documents and Settings\...

Formatting Cells in Excel 97

Backup Excel file

Excel devides every number by 100
Even when I open a brand new file. I input a number (ie 5) and get 0.05 back. I have tried doing everything in cell format etc.. anyone have an idea? it is very annoying and adding loads of work to my project. thanks "=?Utf-8?B?a2luZ3M=?=" <kings@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:48A39EFC-2D09-420F-B2DF-6EF5C0DB6109@microsoft.com: > Even when I open a brand new file. I input a number (ie 5) > and get 0.05 back. I have tried doing everything in cell > format etc.. anyone have an idea? it is very annoying and > adding loads of work to my project. > ...

Excel Histogram -- Incorrect Bins
I am using the Histogram tool in Excel 2004 for Mac -- I am finding that = Excel is shifting all my data one bin to the right. =20 For example, with data... 2,2,2,7,7,7 and bin range selected as 0,5,10 I am EXPECTING 3 items in bin 0 (between zero and five) and 3 items in = bin=20 5 (between five and ten). Excel is RETURNING a histogram with nothing in the zero bin, and 3 items = each in the 5 bin and the 10 bin. This is driving my bonkers! I can't find a solution...can somebody = please=20 help? Eric Anderson - > I am using the Histogram tool in Excel 2004 for Mac -- I am...

Getting same number to appear over and again
Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. However, in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all in one fell swoop. Any suggestions? John Hi John You could use find and replace. Select all of your data. Goto Edit>Find Find what:- E Replace with:- 1 HTH Martin John Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel group. And do a google search for newsgroup etiquette!! John Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel group. And do a google search for newsgroup etiquette!! John Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel ...

Combining Lists within excel.
I'm hoping someone can help here. I'll try to explain the problem I have. I have 2 worksheets both containing a product list. I have entries on one worksheet which I need on the other, so basically my question is... might there be a way of combining these two lists so one updates the other with the missing entries. Help on this would be great, as they are very large lists which I dont much fancy the thought of looking through them manually. Are you familiar with the VLOOKUP function? I use it all the time for this type of problem. vlookup(Product cell in first sheet, Array...

Import excel named range into Access error 3011
Hi, I've read a few posts on this topic, but none addresses my particular problem. I use Office 2003 on an XP SP3 machine. I am using transferspreadsheet to import a named range in an excel file into Access. This has worked beautifully until suddenly it stopped working. I find now that if I extract the address of the named range from within the Access VBA code, it looks like this: =#REF!$A$1:$Z$166 rather than this, which is what it should be: =Data!$A$1:$Z$166 When I open the spreadsheet and get the address of the named range in the immediate window, it also has the #REF error....

Excel AutoSave #2
In Excel 2000 was this feature available? User is not seeing it. Excel 2000 had the AUTOSAVE.XLA Add-in Should be in Tools>Add-ins. If not available there, do a file search on your computer. If not there, install from the CD. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 6 May 2004 13:26:16 -0700, "Ssolano" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In Excel 2000 was this feature available? >User is not seeing it. ...

auto hide toolbar in Excel won't work
I have the toolbar at the bottom of the screen set to 'autohide' but when I'm in Excel sometimes it does 'hide' until the cursor is moved over it, but mostly it won't autohide so that I cannot see the Sheet names at the bottom of the screen. I am running Windows XP Home and Microsoft Office Professional 2003. Can anyone help please? -- teecee8 Hi Every time you move your cursor too far into the bottom area, the toolbar will pop up. Normally it disappears when you move your cursor up again. If it does not, try clicking on you spreadsheet. If you right click o...