Sorting data based on quarters of the year

Hi

Not quite sure of the best way to approach this problem

I need to filter the data in the table below into quarters
Jan-Mar
Apr-Jun
Jul-Sept
Oct-Dec

For each quarter i need to find the change in values,i need to subtrac
the open price in each quarter(Jan,Apr,Jul,Oct) from the closing pric
at the end of each quarter(Mar,Jun,Sept,Dec)

So for the latest quarter shown at the top of the table Apr-Jun(04),
the open in April would be 4,385.70 which i would like to subtract fro
the close in June 4,487 , 4,487-4,385.70 = 101.3

So for Apr-Jun(04) the market gained 101.3

Date-----Open-- Close
Jun-04 4,430.70 4,487 JUNE
May-04 4,489.70 4,431 MAY
Apr-04 4,385.70 4,490 APRIL
Mar-04 4,492.20 4,386 MARCH
Feb-04 4,390.70 4,492 FEBRUARY
Jan-04 4,476.90 4,391 JANUARY
Dec-03 4,342.60 4,477 DECEMBER
Nov-03 4,287.60 4,343 NOVEMBER
Oct-03 4,091.30 4,288 OCTOBER
Sep-03 4,161.10 4,091 SEPTEMBER

Thanks for the ideas

Ad

add a data label
How do i add a data label for my y-axis on a line graph created in word? I presume the Word chart has been created with MS Chart? If so Double-click to activate the edit mode for the chart, then choose Chart, Chart Options, Data Labels.. If the chart is an Excel Object then you use the same steps. -- Cheers, Shane Devenshire "dragonfly" wrote: > How do i add a data label for my y-axis on a line graph created in word? ...

Data Validation using List (But needs unique list in drop down lis
Hi all, In sheet 1, column A is my title name while column B is person name. Sheet 1 is my database where i do data entry in this. In sheet 2, contains my query page. In cell A5, i uses data validation - list, on this cell. Say in sheet 1 : column A column B XXXXXXX Mr A YYYYYYYY Mr A ZZZZZZZZ Mr A AAAAAAA Mr B WWWWW Mr C DDDDDDD Mr C But In sheet 2, cell A5, I saw in the drop down list as follows: Mr A Mr A Mr A Mr B Mr C Mr C But i want to see this in cell A5 instead (Unique name that is) : Mr A Mr B Mr C ...

Overwriting data
I have a macro set up to submit data from an entry point on one worksheet into a database on the other. Basically, I enter the info on the first worksheet, hit submit, and it transfers it to the second worksheet. My question is, how do i make it skip to the next line on the second worksheet so that it logs all the submits rather then overwriting the previous? Thanks! -- na This will get you to the cell just below the last populated cell of column A: Application.Goto Reference:="R65536C1" Selection.End(xlUp).Select Selection.Offset(1, 0).Select (You could get this row into a ...

Report of sales by month based on a cross tab query
Hi, I have a cross tab query that will provide sales by month for 2008. Right now it is sales for January08. As there are sales for future months, they will appear as well. I want to create a table that has all of the months listed out already. Right now, on the first day of the month, I go into the report and add the new month. I want it so that all month are listed which I have done. The problem is that when I run the report, I get an error that says "the Microsoft Jet does not recognize February as a valid field name. After today, there will be February data but no March ...

Conditional format that higlights differing data on two worksheets
I have a workbook that contains a worksheet for a single week of any given month and in the sheet I have an individual's time reported for each day of the week. I have a second workbook that contains an individual's time reported by each day for the entire month. I would like to compare the two to determine if there is a mismatch and highlight those cells. The logic goes something like this: (1) I need to match person A in column C of workbook1 to the same name in column C in workbook2. (2) I then need to match the date of the month on workbook 1 & 2 for person A in step #1. (3)...

Skip blank or N/A in data analysis
Hi, I try to do data analysis (such as regression) to two data columns X ~ Y. Under some condition, some of the Y values are blank or (#N/A). When I do X-Y chart, those points are ignored. However, when I select the same columns to do regress or any other data analysis, I got the error saying "Input range containing non-numeric data". I don't want to put any number like 0 for those to distort my result. I just want to ignore or skip those N/A data. Is there a way I can do it without removing those data? Because the N/A location depends on a variable (a condition). I ...

only the first 5 columns of a 10 column excel spreadsheet sort
How do I get the whole spread sheet to sort? There is a blue lox for the first 5 columns that limits the range of the sort. How do I remove it? Using Office 2003. Maybe if you remove the Data|list Select a cell in that blue box. Data|list|convert to range jrw562 wrote: > > How do I get the whole spread sheet to sort? There is a blue lox for the > first 5 columns that limits the range of the sort. How do I remove it? > Using Office 2003. -- Dave Peterson ...

Migrating data from ACT to CRM (how to get at act! data)
I intend on using the DMF to migrate data to CRM. The question I have is how do I get at the underlying database that ACT uses. I see the MS excel file for ACT has table and field mappings but I need to do some specialized SQL. I can't seem to figure out though how to get into the SQL database where the ACT information is stored. How do I log into that database? Thanks! -Elie From my days working with ACT, I thought the databse was built around Microsoft Access. If indeed the databas is SQL then you should be able to get your SQL DBA to grant you access to the SQL Database. -- Rgds...

Data Analysis Plus Add-In
My Data Analysis Plus add-in has disappeared. I had it installed at one time, but now it is gone. I've attempted to reinstall the add-in several times and rebooted each time, but to no avail. Running XP Pro and Office Pro software. Any ideas? Thanks, MJ You probably have done this but .... have you looked at Tools/Addins . there is a Browse button in case Excel cannot find it ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

How do you replace old data with new data without creating a new .
I have existing pivot tables and I want to replace the data source worksheet with new data and the pivot tables update with the new information. I have replace the data source but the pivot tables didn't update. Hit the "Refresh Data" in the pivot table toolbar (looks like an exclamation point) -- Regards, Dave "Dena" wrote: > I have existing pivot tables and I want to replace the data source worksheet > with new data and the pivot tables update with the new information. I have > replace the data source but the pivot tables didn't update. So...

Move Data From Vertical to Horizontal
How do I get my speadsheet to move from vertical meaning: Name Type Hours Bob Regular 80.00 Bob OT 10.00 To look like this: Name Regular OT Bob 80.00 10.00 If anyone can help PLEASE comment. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You can create a pivot table to summarize the data. There are some instructions and links here: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm For ...

publisher: 4 Millions Domains data with Category
Successfull Internet and Direct Marketing products on www.promotionsite.net * NEW * DOMUS Domains Toolkit Fall 2004 - Unique on the Net 4 Millions "Whois" Domains data with Expiration Date and Category*. Ultimate Version (October 2004) - Our best rate starts from US *$149*. A wonderful tool for Internet and Direct Marketing. Available in Basic, Advanced and Full Editions. It contains a domain database with 4 millions *FRESH* October 2004 New records .com, .net, .org. 4 Gigabytes MS Excel data zipped on CD-Roms/Dvd. Compression 3:1. MS Excel or Text tab del...

Exporting global data from a DLL to an EXE
Hi, I have a "Win32 Application" and I must use some global data defined(and initialized) in a DLL linked to the Application. As suggested by MSDN,I have exported this global data from the DLL in this way: - In the DLL, I have used the keyword DLLEXPORT - In the EXE I have used the keyword DLLIMPORT But when I run the EXE the application crashes! The problem is that, in the EXE, the imported global data are all equal to zero and the application doesn't see the initializationsdone in the DLL! Does someone know where is the problem? Thanks to All. M Micheles, I don&#...

Import data from Money 2002 to Excel
Hi, I'd like to import some transactions history from Money 2002 into Excel. Does anybody know how I can do this? Thx. In microsoft.public.money, Nick wrote: >Hi, > >I'd like to import some transactions history from Money >2002 into Excel. Does anybody know how I can do this? Prepare a report in Money and right-click into it. You can copy and paste or choose Export.... For more sophisticated information access, search Google for Moneylink. ...

Data Entry
I know that you can go to tools/options/edit to change the next cell after you enter. I would like to go across the row instead of down the column. Is there any way to make that selection just for a workbook, . The change seems to be global until you change the preference again. Thanks, one way is to add this code in your sheet code Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 1).Activate End Sub play with it. Cesar Zapata John wrote: > I know that you can go to tools/options/edit to change the next cell after > you enter. I would like to ...

pie-charting non-numeric data
I would like to chart and graph responses to a survey that are non-numeric in nature, such as a bar graph for "yes" and no" responses to a question. Or in particular a pie chart that shows how many people picked option "P" vs. "K", "J" or "N". For the pie chart I have a column of data cells, each containing one of the four letters. In short, how do I accomplish charting and/or graphing non-numeric responses? So you have a column of Yes/No or P/K or J/N? Construct a pivot table of this range, and you can produce counts of each value...

Exract Data And Error Msg
ERROR MSG: Microsoft Excel cannot determine which row in your list or selection contains column labels which are required for this operation I can’t figure out why: The names of my Columns are as follows: ITEM QTY DAYS TOTAL I formatted them as Text. How do I make Excel know they are column labels and furthermore… I am composing an invoice for my rental business. I have set up a sheet with all the items that I rent. The cost of each item is determined by the number of items time the number of days rented. I would like to extract, to a separate location,(sheet 2) only the items that we...

How do you import data from one Excel document to another?
Hey everyone, I work at a school and I'm trying to update their attendance reports from hand written to excel, but I'm running into several problems. For one, I need it to be able to calculate how many "Ab"s (absents) there are in the worksheet (for the individual student's attendance page). And THEN, I need to have the sum show up on a completely new document (for the overall attendance report). Is that possible? I've fooled around with data importing and several other things, but I'm just too new at this. If what I'm asking is possible, can anyone he...

Copy & Paste Data from Web into Excel
When I do the above & use Vlookup for numerical data the numeric data is not recognised, although some data are in another excel workbook. How can I sort the data from the web so that I can do a proper vlookup What looks like a numeric field is actually text. This trick often works: In an empty cell enter the value 1 and copy it Select the offending numbers and use Edit/Paste Special->multiply Delete the cell with the 1 Best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Kelvin Pakaree" <k.pakaree@credcor.co.za> wrote in mes...

Splitting excel cells based on content
I have an excel workbook with a worksheet created by a dump from a database (DOORS in this case). The first column is unique, the second not. The second column may contain 0 to n identifiers that I want to look up on a separate sheet. The lookup is easy when the cell in the 2nd column has either 0 or 1 identifiers in it but when there are 2 or more (separated by a carriage return I think) my lookup fails as lookup is using the enitre contents of the cell. What i'd like to be able to do is to automatically (there's some 900+ rows in the worksheet) is to automatically insert additio...

trouble changing data type
I am running MS Access 2007 on Windows XP Professional 2002 (SP2). I need to change the data type of a single field in a table containing just over 1.4M records in order to link it with another table and run a Make-Table Query, but Access is telling me I do not have enough memory to change the data type. I have 1GB of RAM and a Pentium 4, 2.79 GHz processor. Am I out of luck based on the equiptment I am working with, or is there a way around this? Much appreciated. -- Kevin Philadelphia, PA First backup your database. Next Compact and Repair. Third add the new field datatype. C...

Combo values from query based on form fields
I am setting the values for a combo box in a form(s) via a query that 'filters' the results with criteria based upon the values of other fields on the form. The combo is a field that is bound. However, this is giving all kinds of problems ranging from Access completely crashing to being asked for the parameter values of those criteria fields when closing the form. I have tried making the combo an unbound field and then setting the value of the bound field to that unbound field after update, but that still leads to the same issues. How can I do this? As example - I have a form w...

Is Auto Expansion (i.e., wrap text) of a cell possible when the cell's contents are based on another cell?
I am trying to display the results from one tab (Tab 1) in another (Tab 2). So, for example, tab 2 contains the formula "=Tab1!A2". However, when the results are too large to fit the cell in tab 2 (i.e., the cell that contains a formula that draws from a cell in tab 1), the wrap text feature does not work unless i first double click in the cell in tab 2. Is there any way around this? Can the wrap text feature work automatically somehow? Or will i need to double click in every cell that contains text that doesn't fit into the cell. Thanks for any suggestions, or VBA code, th...

data labels disappear from graph when i close the worksheet
I have added datalabels to a bar graph. But they go away when i close the worksheet despite having saved the changes. Could any one elt me know why this is happening? Thanks ...

addressing envelope from data input form
I don't know where to start to try this. I have the following fields that make up the entire address: Fname Lname Fname2 Lname 2 Address City, State Zip Is there any way to "push a button" on a form and have it print an envelope for that record? Thanks in advance for any help. -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com Have you thought of using an MS template as a starting point? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT101172481033.aspx Dave Eliot wrote: >I don't know where to start to try this. > >I have the following fields ...