Sorting a list of numbers 05-18-10

I have a list of consecutive numbers in a column from say 1 to 500.  Does
anyone know an easy way to take these numbers in a new column and sort them
to be 5, 4 ,3 , 2, 1, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, and so on?

starting in the column to the right the row that has "1" in it, type "a",
then next to "2", type "b", etc. to "5" which should be "e", then copy/paste
down the entire column.

Then you can sort ascending by the first column & descending by the second
column.

Hope this makes sense.

"ME Cochran" wrote:

> I have a list of consecutive numbers in a column from say 1 to 500.  Does
> anyone know an easy way to take these numbers in a new column and sort them
> to be 5, 4 ,3 , 2, 1, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, and so on?
Here is an easy way.  If, for example, your consecutive numbers are in
A1:A500...
In B1 enter   =A5
In B2 enter   =A4
In B3 enter   =A3
In B4 enter   =A2
In B5 enter   =A1

Select B1:B5. Right-click and select Copy. Now highlight B6:B500.
Right-click and select Paste. Select all of column B, then copy & paste it in
place as values (Paste Special >> Values).

Hope this helps,

Hutch

"ME Cochran" wrote:

> I have a list of consecutive numbers in a column from say 1 to 500.  Does
> anyone know an easy way to take these numbers in a new column and sort them
> to be 5, 4 ,3 , 2, 1, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, and so on?
Here is another way. If your consecutive numbers are in A1:A500, in B1 enter
=IF(MOD(A1,5)=0,A1-5,(INT(A1/5)*5)+(5-MOD(A1,5)))+1

Copy this formula down through B500.

Hope this helps,

Hutch

"ME Cochran" wrote:

> I have a list of consecutive numbers in a column from say 1 to 500.  Does
> anyone know an easy way to take these numbers in a new column and sort them
> to be 5, 4 ,3 , 2, 1, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, and so on?
Another way - put this in B1:

=3D(INT((A1-1)/5)+1)*5+1-A1+INT((A1-1)/5)*5

and copy down. Then you can sort the data using column B as the key
field.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On May 19, 2:58=A0am, Tom Hutchins
<TomHutch...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Here is another way. If your consecutive numbers are in A1:A500, in B1 en=
ter
> =3DIF(MOD(A1,5)=3D0,A1-5,(INT(A1/5)*5)+(5-MOD(A1,5)))+1
>
> Copy this formula down through B500.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Hutch
>

> "ME Cochran" wrote:
> > I have a list of consecutive numbers in a column from say 1 to 500. =A0=
Does
> > anyone know an easy way to take these numbers in a new column and sort =
them
> > to be 5, 4 ,3 , 2, 1, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, and so on?- H=
ide quoted text -

Pete_UK

Want use results of Drop down list to look up a value
I am using Excel 2002 and I have a multisheet workbook and on the first sheet I have created a series of 6 drop down lists pulling from predefined named ranges. I also have limited subsequent choices based on what is selected in the other lists. The end result is the user will be selecting parameters that identify a product and now I am stuck with an easy way to look up the associated part number based on the parameters they selected. Essentially, once they have chosen the parameters in the list, I would like to create a macro that uses those values to locate the associated part...

Winfax 10 causes an error on Exit of Outlook 2003!!
Hi all Just installed Winfax 10 and since doing so, everytime I exit Outlook 2003 I get an error "Microsoft Office Outllok has encountered a problem and needs to close, We are sorry for this inconvenience." I did view the report prepared for sending to MS and there was mention of the Winfax plugin causing the problem. Anyone know of a workaround or perhaps I need to dump Winfax! Regards John Have you checked with Symantec yet to see if they have managed to get WinFax 10 to work with Outlook 2003? It usually takes them several months to bring WinFax up to speed, if they ever ...

how can text be set up to generate a number?
i would like to a word generate a number, i.e.> enter "apples"in one cell and excel generate "352" in a different cell for items like inventory. Basically You will need to set up a 'Lookup' table somewhere with Apples 352 In two columns. Complete this for all entries and then if you are going to enter 'Apples' on another sheet in A1 then in A2 enter =VLOOKUP(A1,Your_Lookup_Range_Address,2,FALSE) -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "jwmaes" <jwmaes@discussions.microso...

Numbers Chart
I need a 10x10 chart of numbers 1-100 with the numbers vertical. I'm sure there is a quickie way to do it. thanks, CB -- C and A Bredt Top left corner of chart: =ROW(A1)+10*(COLUMN(A1)-1) Copy to a 10x10 area. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "C and A Bredt" wrote: > I need a 10x10 chart of numbers 1-100 with the numbers vertical. > I'm sure there is a quickie way to do it. > thanks, CB > -- > C and A Bredt > Highlight the cells, format > Cells > Alignment and make it 90 degrees. "Luke...

Adding members to Marketing Lists whilst offline
Hi, When in Offline mode of CRM 3.0, the 'Manage Members' button in the Marketing List Members section of Marketing Lists screen is not available. Does anybody know if it is possible to change the configuration to display this button, and allow users to add members to marketing lists whilst working offline? Thanks Hi Steve, Sorry, but CRM 3.0 does not allow the managing of List members while in Offline mode. You must be online with your client or using the web client in order to manage the list members. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and...

dropdown list problem for newbie
i have a column(A) where each cell is a dropdownlist(same list). if person chooses an item from that list...can it return a correspondin value? example: my drop down list corresponding value animal 005 building 1174 vehicle 3345 so for a specific cell...lets say A1, i choose building from th dropdown. i want it to return a value of 1174 in cell A1. is this possible? if so please help? thx eri -- enag ----------------------------------------------------------------------- enags'...

Appending data in cells that utilize a Dropdown list.
Hello all, I would like to append entries in cells that utilize a dropdown list. Currently, when I select (in this case names) from my dropdown list I cannot append them if I want to add more than one to a cell. If I select another name from the dropdown, it erases the first entry. Is there some way to append entries within cells that use this form of validation so that I can enter more than one in a cell from the dd list? -- Thanks, Geek using Office XP Professional Hi Geek Debra Dalgleish has an example workbook showing how to do this http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html...

power options issue 06-15-10
After I click on Control Panel and then Power Options and set my monitor and hard drive to turn off in 15 minutes of inactivity nothing turns off. The only setting that works is turning off the monitor in 1 minute and the hard drive in three minutes. I am not sure what is causing this issue or how to rix it. Task Manager | Processes tab: What's still running in the background? Any Scheduled Tasks which might be interfering? What's your Automatic Updates setting? David Black wrote: > After I click on Control Panel and then Power Options and set my monitor &g...

Exchange 2003 All Address Lists
In Exchange 2003, under System Manager | Recipients | All Address Lists, I do not want users in Outlook to able to see the default address lists: All Contacts, All Groups, All Users, Public Folders. I would rather create my own Address Lists which contain specific grouping of users. What is the best way to go about this? For example, should I delete the default address lists, and create my own? Yes you can do that. When you say "Groups", let's clarify something. You cannot filter them based on AD domain group membership. You must use an LDAP filter to identify groups...

Desktop Icons 04-23-10
Is there a way to set the background color at the icon name to "clear", or no color at all? I have one computer that does it but I don't know how it got that way. ...

dist list
I have a list of people distributed on week days, such as: Monday: alex, rose, lisa Tuesday: george, gary, mitch wed: ...... Th:..... Fr:.... I would like to create a dist group say named "meeting" and when i send email to "meeting" address on monday, alex, rose, lisa will receive the mail only and if i send on tuesday george, gary, mitch will receive the mail only..... Any suggestions are highly appreciated... Thanks... -- renomero "renomero" <renomero.59201dc@outlookbanter.com> wrote in message news:renomero.59201dc@outlookbanter.com... >...

Financial institution list incomplete
One of the institutions listed in Money 2004 financial institutions list is no longer being listed. The institution is listed as an institution that Money supports. I've tried updating the list using the "Get the latest Money updates" to no avail. Does anyone know how to force an update of the fipartnr.ini file or know where I can get an updated version? I've tried the suggestions in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 247570 and they didn't work. In microsoft.public.money, Chris wrote: >One of the institutions listed in Money 2004 financial >institutions ...

How do I print a font list using font name in the fonts?
I want to print a list of all of the fonts that I have using that particular font. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/FontSampleGenerator.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Rich641" <Rich641@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AB860C6E-32E3-4C5F-B695-0B479B9BE4CF@microsoft.com... >I want to print a list of all of the fonts that I have using that >particular > font. > ...

publishing lists in excel
I'm trying to publish a list from excel to sharepoint window services. I get an error: cannot connect to the server at this time. Your list cannot be published. I've checked off all the troubleshooting alerts except one (You cannot create a list in a shared workbook). Since I'm on sharepoint windows, I don't have the option of sharing or not sharing my workbook (its greyed out) and I CAN create a list in Excel. I just can't published it to my sharepoint site. I want to set-up a synchronized list with my excel worksheet and sharepoint site. The TEST data is only 1 l...

What happened to the column number count in the status bar?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel I am new to using Office with a mac, and I have a lame question. I am using Word 2008. There used to be options as to what counts and tools you could put at the bottom of the window. Such as, word count, page number, column number etc. I don't see any options to customize the status bar. Am I missing something? It used to be as easy as right clicking (w/PC) and selecting which tool you wanted. How do I do this with my Mac??? Any help is appreciated. -B Yeah, evidently the guy/gal in charge of those features was out...

How to populate a value list
I have a field that is a valuelist. I select the value from a list that I typed in. That is fine. But I need to have those value in the order of selection. Ex : I have in the list the value from a to z. I select f, m, a. I want them to show up in that oder. At best I would like to use the same thing as Access when we define a combobox, we have 2 lists : the available field and the selected fields with 4 buttons in the middle. Can that be done ? Thank you -- eric On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:10:01 -0800, ericb <eric@b.com> wrote: >I have a field that is a ...

is it possible list box to a chart in excel 2003 as was in 2000?
In excel 2000 it was possible to add a combo/list drop down box onto a chart so that you could select which data you wanted to appear on a chart without creating multiple charts. I cannot seem to get this to work in 2003? Has the ability been removed? Hi, No you can still add controls from the Forms toolbar to chart sheets. Perhaps you are using controls from the Control toolbar. Cheers Andy Stuck with Excel wrote: > In excel 2000 it was possible to add a combo/list drop down box onto a chart > so that you could select which data you wanted to appear on a chart without > c...

Importing numbers from 200 worksheets into 1
I wish to import numeric data from numerous worksheets, say upto 200, into an overall summary page. For example, I have 200 projects, thus each worksheet is named Prj1, Prj2, etc. In each of these I enter the numbers of hours that the workforce book to these projects. The list of workforce members can be up to 100 different designations, and different projects necessarily do not use the same combination of the workforce. For example: Column C Column E Prj1 row 17 lead electrical engineer 200 Row 23 Senior mechanical engineer 450 Row 51 Junior piping engineer 700 Pr...

making random numbers, one greater than other
1) I try to generate random numbers i A1 and B1 the numbers should be between 1 and 10 and A1 must be greater than B1 (i.e. A1>B1) 2) I try to generate random numbers i A1 and B1 their sum must be smaller than 10 (i.e. A1+B1<10) thanks in advance This in A1... =RAND()*10 ...will produce Random number <10 This in B1... =RAND()*(A1) ..will produce Random number <A1 This in C1... =MIN(RAND()*A1,RAND()*(10-A1)) ...will produce Random number less than A1 and when summed with A1 will be less than 10 hth Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Navid Sami" wrote: > 1) I tr...

Management Reporter 07-14-10
Anyone can help me with this message 'Windows Authentification is not supported for Dynamics GP' when the MR migration wizard process the 'Convert Data To Frx step. After that, in MR, no accounts are dsiplayed on the converted row formats. Thanks. For the ODBC driver you are using, is it set up for Windows Authentication? "SLami" wrote: > Anyone can help me with this message 'Windows Authentification is not > supported for Dynamics GP' when the MR migration wizard process the 'Convert > Data To Frx step. > After that, in MR, no ...

Telephone Numbers
How do I format an entire column to automatically convert the number: 1236785555 to appear (123) 678-5555? Highlight the cells, then do Right-click > FormatCells > NumberTAB > Special > PhoneNumber > OK Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Kennel slave" wrote: > How do I format an entire column to automatically convert the number: > 1236785555 to appear (123) 678-5555? Thanks, Chuck! It worked! "CLR" wrote: > Highlight the cells, then do Right-click > FormatCells > NumberTAB > Special > > PhoneNumber > OK > > Vaya con Dio...

Sharing a Distribution List in My Contacts Folder
Hi all, I'm sure there is some relatively easy way of doing this, but so far I haven't figured out the method. :> I have a distribution list called PDBUG within my Contacts folder. I'd like to make that PDBUG list available to 3 other people within my organization. What is the easiest and/or best way to accomplish this? Is there some way I can just attach the PDBUG list to an email and have them save it? Thanks for your suggestions. Alan Alan <whoameye@nowhere.pew.invalid> wrote: > I have a distribution list called PDBUG within my Contacts folder. ...

Crawling computer 03-02-10
Computer works fine on everything else, but when on internet especially video streaming for awhile, the computer slows down to a crawl. Often the videos hang after awhile. Have to shutdown, restart and carry on, and it'll come back to a crawl after awhile. What could be wrong? TIA On 3/2/2010 6:44 AM On a whim, Ben Stevenson pounded out on the keyboard > Computer works fine on everything else, but when on internet especially > video streaming for awhile, the computer slows down to a crawl. Often the > videos hang after awhile. Have to shutdown, restart and carry o...

Rules Wizard #10
Despite the fact that I keep updating my Rules Wizard with key words to eliminate unwanted spam e-mails (I receive over 30 a day some days), these rules never seem to apply. Is this a useless feature of Outlook? Am I forgetting to turn something on in the Rules Wizard so that it will block the spam? And none of this spam is ever delivered to the delete box or deleted off the server. What gives? Margaret In my opinion, it is pretty much useless. To be effective you spend more time managing rules then it would take just to delete the SPAM. I would get a good third party SPAM manger an...

Matching Address Country with Phone Number Country Outlook 2003
Hi, I have Outlook 2003 I need to know if it's possible that Outlook updates the PHONE NUMBER COUNTRY field automatically (assigning al country codes and "+") by reading the ADDRESS FIELD COUNTRY information I already have in the contact. Also, is there any application that does this or that manages Country codes correctly to upgrade the phone numbers ? thanks! Alex ...