sort FUNCTION SPLITS DATA INTO TWO GROUPS

I'm using Excel '97.  I had two versions of a spreadsheet I was using,
and copied several lines of data from one and pasted them into the
other.  Now, when I sort the larger of the two the data separates into
two groups.  The pasted data (or newly added data) sorts first, and
then the original material sorts as a second group.  I've tried
reformatting the columns, etc. and an stumped.  Any ideas?

---

Rick

assuming the data you are sorting on is numeric, it sounds as though one set
of data is truly numeric data and the other is seen by Excel as text
although it might look like numeric data.  If this is the case, search the
archives for methods of forcing Excel to convert the text to numbers.

Alternatively, if the data IS text, perhaps you have one or more spaces at
the beginning of the values.  This can happen when you do Text to Columns.
If this is the case, you could add a column and use TRIM to remove the
space(s).

Regards

Trevor

"Rick7708 >" <<Rick7708.10v5ks@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Excel '97.  I had two versions of a spreadsheet I was using,
> and copied several lines of data from one and pasted them into the
> other.  Now, when I sort the larger of the two the data separates into
> two groups.  The pasted data (or newly added data) sorts first, and
> then the original material sorts as a second group.  I've tried
> reformatting the columns, etc. and an stumped.  Any ideas?
>

> ---

Trevor9259 (673)
1/30/2004 9:32:08 PM
Quick and dirty test to number trick. Copy a blank cell, select the
range of text, and do Paste Special from the Edit menu, with the Values
and Operations - Add options.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/
_______

Trevor Shuttleworth wrote:

> Rick
>
> assuming the data you are sorting on is numeric, it sounds as though one set
> of data is truly numeric data and the other is seen by Excel as text
> although it might look like numeric data.  If this is the case, search the
> archives for methods of forcing Excel to convert the text to numbers.
>
> Alternatively, if the data IS text, perhaps you have one or more spaces at
> the beginning of the values.  This can happen when you do Text to Columns.
> If this is the case, you could add a column and use TRIM to remove the
> space(s).
>
> Regards
>
> Trevor
>

> "Rick7708 >" <<Rick7708.10v5ks@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>I'm using Excel '97.  I had two versions of a spreadsheet I was using,
>>and copied several lines of data from one and pasted them into the
>>other.  Now, when I sort the larger of the two the data separates into
>>two groups.  The pasted data (or newly added data) sorts first, and
>>then the original material sorts as a second group.  I've tried
>>reformatting the columns, etc. and an stumped.  Any ideas?
>>

>>---
>>Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/

0
jonxlmvpNO (4558)

SQL in Excel data
Hi all, Is there a possibility/way to run an SQL query in an excel data sheet? I have quite some data like the sample below, now i would like to have the sum of spending for each person. Like it is possible in Access. A1 B1 Field1 Field2 Chuck 12,89 Mike 23,09 Jean 9,34 Chuck 30,00 Mike 3,80 Chuck 22,00 Mike 7,23 Jean 10,55 Jean 10,75 Jean 31,45 Chuck 19,99 Result Field1 SumOfField2 Chuck 84,88 Jean 62,09 Mike 34,12 Advice would be appriciated. Cheers, Ludovic Hi You could use a formula like this ...

How to get XML data out of an XML file

cell looses name after sorting
Can someone help me with the following problem in Excel 2000: in a table I have attached serveral cells with unique cell names, the values in these cells are used in other sheets. the problem is that when I sort the table, the cell names stay in the original rowposition; they are not sorted! while their values are. So Cell names get different values, and other calculations on my other sheets get messed up! How can I make the cell names relative instead of absolute? thankx in advance, Jim --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "jimfx >" <<jimfx.109zcv@exc...

SUMIF function not calculating from closed worksheet
We recently upgraded from Microsoft Office 2000 to 2007. Prior to the upgrade each department would access a spreadsheet that would load data from a common lookup spreadsheet The loading process was performed as follows: The lookup file and each department file would be opened to update the link for that month and then saved and closed. When the department head would open the department file, a question would appear asking if they wanted to update the link, if they answered no the spreadsheet would open and display the calculated data. If they answered yes, the file would o...

Pulsar Women's Crystal Accented Dress Two-Tone Stainless Steel Watch #PEGA16
Price:$125.00 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B001L1RZ8C Best deal: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B001L1RZ8C This ladies' two tone, Pulsar fashion watch features a white dial CrystallizedTM with 22 Swarovski crystals. Watch is water resistant up to 30 meters. This stylish timepiece features a two-tone bracelet and case. The mother-of-pearl dial is accentuated by gold-tone hands and markers. 22 Swarovski® crystals sparkle on this classic watch. 30M water resistant. ACCESSORIES: Pulsar Women's Crystal Accented Dress Two-Tone Stainless Steel W...

Comparing first and last names in two lists

How refresh imported data automatically?
In Excel, I've imported data into a worksheet. I know I can click Data.. Refresh Data to requery the source, but I want to be able to do it in a more automated way. Is there some sort of macro I can write when opened or something? Thanks, Ron Ron, Select the cell the data starts in, select Data/Import External Data/Data Range Properties Check the box "Refresh on file open" and anything else that needs checking off... Other than that, you could record a new Macro that selects your cell, refreshes data, and assign the macro to a keystroke, or even an icon. Beege ...

How do I break URL address over two lines?
I am trying to enter website addresses into footnotes and Word automatically forces the footnote onto a separate line. I need to conform to certain aditing requirements and want the url to start right after the citation and continue on to however many lines are necessary, but not leave a gap because it starts the url on a separate line in the footnote. Help please. In the edit hyperlink dialog, put the URI in both the Address and Text-to- display boxes. That way you can use a space or linebreak to wrap the display text to the next line without affecting the hyperlink ability. Hyp...

Question About Missing Data
So, this is probably really easy, but I just want to ask and see if I may be missing something here. Some data on vendor numbers changed. Let’s say IBM used to have a vendor number 12345 and now it’s vendor number is 56789. I can identify IBM as IBM, but I really want to use the number, not the name. Should I set up a table that ties the numbers together, so that Access knows 12345 = 56789? Or, should I do some kind of Update Query and change all incidences of 12345 to be 56789? Or, is there some other, method, like a ‘best practices for missing data’? Thanks! Ryan--- ...

Outlook Data Files #4

More than 7 If Functions Example is IF(A2="Bongaigaon", B2*40, ..
i want to use if Command in which 19 times If Function to be used for Example of the Function is =IF(A2="Bongaigaon", B2*40, IF(A2="Dhemaji", B2*100, IF(A2="Dhubri", B2*50, IF(A2="Dibrugarh", B2*65, IF(A2="Golaghat", B2*50, IF(A2="Guwahati", B2*20, IF(A2="hojai", B2*50, IF(A2="Jorhat", B2*60, If(A2="Kharupetia", B2*50, up to 19 times Hi - You really need to create a table with the 19 names in one column and, in the column to the right, the vaues associated with each name. That would ...

How do I combine two worksheets into one graph
I have two worksheets on an Excel spreadsheet. I would like to take both worksheets and place in one graph. Any suggestions? Make a chart with data from one sheet. Then copy the data on the other sheet, select the chart, and use Paste Special from the Edit menu to add the copied data as New Series. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ McPowerUser wrote: > I have two worksheets on an Excel spreadsheet. I would like to take both > worksheets and place in one graph. Any suggestions? ...

Find what control is using a data item
I built a form, then deleted 2 columns from the source table and now I get a popup asking for the value of those 2 columns. The problem is, I don't use those columns so I need to find what on the form is refferencing the deleted columns. I have looked at the control drop down on the properties window and the tab order window and can't find a control with either one of the missing column names. How do I determine what is trying to refference the deleted columns? I found the problem, the column was still referenced in the underlying query that fed the form. "MeSteve"...

merging data
Hi all:) I'm new to this forum and to to Excel (2000) and not sure that I'm asking this question correctly but here is what I'm trying to do. The data on my work sheet is pasted from another sorce and includes information: name, ref #, time, date. I use this information looking up the status of an order and enter a "status note" in 5th (last) column. As the day progresses, the source that the data comes from is copied and pasted under the current list I already have going and much of the data on the lower list is a duplicate. How can I merge the to list so that I hav...

ROUND Function with other function
Hi, I have this formula: =IF(R8>0,CONCATENATE("+",R8),R8) and the results shows me for example: +11.6 but what I really want t show is +12. I've been trying to put the "Round" function at a few places in th formula but it doesn't work. The closest I got was with this formula: =ROUND(IF(R8>0,CONCATENATE("+",R8),R8),0) where it showed me 12, without the "+" sign before.... Can anyone help me ? Thank -- Outapi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Outapin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member...

auto fill in data when changing fields
i new to crm 4 and i would like to; once i selected the account i need it to grab the main phone and put it in the phone field, and could you tell me where i need to do this, thanks -- j.hardy you can modify the mappings of the corresponding relationship "moon" wrote: > i new to crm 4 and i would like to; once i selected the account i need it to > grab the main phone and put it in the phone field, and could you tell me > where i need to do this, thanks > -- > j.hardy ...

Sorting Sheets?
In Excel 2002 is there a way of sorting sheets other than by dragging? See www.cpearson.com/excel/sortws.htm for sample VBA code to sort worksheets. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "rifleman" <me9@privacy.net> wrote in message news:bpikvi$1odhnd$1@ID-108938.news.uni-berlin.de... > In Excel 2002 is there a way of sorting sheets other than by dragging? > > Using VBA http://www.cpearson.com/excel/sortws.htm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "rifleman" <me9@privacy.net> wrote in mess...

Pivot Table data values
I need make a pivot table using the values as the data. I used to be able to do this, but now it only sums, counts or calculates. Is there a way to return the data values? ...

How can I use a form (Excel) to add a column of data to the right.
How can I use a form (Excel) to add a column of data to the right of a list? It's a simple matter to add a column to the left of a list by writing a macro that inserts a column and then pastes the values. However I want to have the data pasted on the right of a list, if only so that I can easily run a chart from it. ...

Can I insert Google Calender data into Publisher document?
How can I configure my Publisher document to use the data from Google Calendar? I would like to use the RSS feed from Google Calendar. Creating an RSS Feed http://blogs.msdn.com/lisawoll/archive/2004/11/19/266972.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "thpope" <thpope@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CB5CDF70-1B8E-45E1-B17B-7D496CD96F36@microsoft.com... > How can I configure my Publisher document to use the data from Google > Calendar? I would like to use the RSS feed from Google C...

Preventing outside work to send email to a distribution group
I want this distribution group for internal use only. How can I stop the outside to send message to this address. ...