Sort Columns?

Can it be done?

Bob

0
bobnewman (31)

Hi
- select your data range
- goto 'Data - sort'
- click 'Options' and choose 'Columns' instead of 'Rows'

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Bob Newman wrote:
> Can it be done?
>
> Bob
0
frank.kabel (11126)
2/14/2004 7:18:03 PM
Thanx.

Bob

> Hi
> - select your data range
> - goto 'Data - sort'
> - click 'Options' and choose 'Columns' instead of 'Rows'
>

> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> Bob Newman wrote:
> > Can it be done?
> >
> > Bob

0
bobnewman (31)
2/15/2004 12:38:18 AM
Bob
you're welcome

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Bob Newman wrote:
> Thanx.
>
> Bob
>
> "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> - select your data range
>> - goto 'Data - sort'
>> - click 'Options' and choose 'Columns' instead of 'Rows'
>>

>> --
>> Regards
>> Frank Kabel
>> Frankfurt, Germany
>>
>> Bob Newman wrote:
>>> Can it be done?
>>>
>>> Bob
0
frank.kabel (11126)

Negative Number column
I am trying to make a column product negative numbers when I manually enter them in a spreadsheet. I am using a simple sum formula to add across rows (10 columns) and the first column should always be a negative number i.e credit and the rest positive. I am real new to excel so I must be doing something wrong. Assuming the 10 cols are A to J, maybe a simpler way would be to use something like .. In K1: =SUM(B1:J1)-A1 Or, in K1: =SUM(B1:J1,-A1) with K1 copied down Then you could just enter the credit numbers in the first column "as-is", w/o worrying about making these nega...

Outlook Today
In the Outlook Today view, is there a way to sort the Tasks by Subject? When I select Customize Outlook Today it only allows sorts by Importance, Due Date, Creation Time, Start Date. I am running Outlook 2003 (Professional Edition). ...

Log file sorting with VBA
I would like to sort a log file by each variable in the log. There is date column and four other columns that I would like to be able to sor alphabetically . I would like to create macros that can sort each column. For example - my column titles are date (A), item (B), action(C) Reason(D), Person(E). I would like to create buttons with macros fo each column, so that when I click a button it sorts all of the ro entries. I would also like to create a macro for a new entry which shifts all o the rows down. Does anyone know of any similar VBA code for either of these actions i excel, or can...

Assign a Value to a Duplicate Entry Within the Same Column
Within a single worksheet I have thousand-plus rows of data and one of the columns within that worksheet I have a series of numbers. After I've identified the duplicates within that column I want to assign a value based on the first time that number shows up (in this case by I'v sorted by date), so the first duplicate would have a value like "1." I then want to assign the next duplicate(s) sequentially (2, 3, 4, etc.) When finished I would want a new column of data that would have far more "1s" than "2s," more "2s" than "3s,"...

Outlook 2002 views grouping/sorting
I noticed a (irritating) difference between Outlook 2000 and 2002 definition of folder Views. Back in 2000, you could set to group by Conversation Topic, which lumped all emails with the same email subject together. Now it was still sorted by date first, meaning the subject-topic with the most recent received (descending) email with be positioned on top. So it was going by Sort, then Group. Now in 2002, the priority has been reversed. It is grouped first then sorted by date. Meaning the email subject with the first in alphabetical order will ALWAYS be positioned on top, even when its latest ...

sorting on linked lists between 2 workbooks
Hi, I have a workbook (B1) which holds a column of names (1 name per cell) The 2nd workbook (B2) references each of these names and diplays the in it's own column. The problem occurs when I want to sort the lis (and other associated columns) in B1 the cells in B2 become jumbled. have tried naming each cell in B1 on the assumption that when a sor occurs that this relationship would be dynamic - but the same proble still occurs... Any clues anyone? The prob seems relatively simple but I can't seem to find a way aroun it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Cheer -- Message po...

Column and line information in Word
I have my cursor in a Word document and want to see which column it's in and which line it's on. How do I view those details? In 2007, right-click over the Status Bar at the bottom of the Word window, and choose the options you wish to see, including Line Number and Column. Hope this helps DeanH "HS" wrote: > I have my cursor in a Word document and want to see which column it's in and > which line it's on. How do I view those details? ...

Name ranges and columns
I'm using MS Office Excel 2003. I'd like to be able to refer to a column by a name so that I could use 'Price'23 instead of C23 and so forth. I thought that I'd be able to do that by highlighting the column and then using Insert->Name->Define or similar (I can't figure out the difference between the Name->Create, Name->Define and Name->Label variations. In any case, none of them seem to allow the kind of construction I'd like. Do I have the syntax wrong in Price23 (for example ... how to separate column and row parts) or is the whole thing impo...

Hiding Columns In Excel
When I try to hide too many columns in Excell I get the following message and it won't let me hide the columns, "Cannot Shift Objects off Sheet.". Is there a workaround? What am I doing wrong? The following MSKB article may help: XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=211769 Also, Dave Peterson recently posted this advice: '================ Someone with the same problem posted back that their comments were getting resized causing the trouble. Maybe enabling: Tools|Options|View|Comment and ...

hiding columns
Hi, I have a report that has 17 fields. Therefore, it has two pages when I print it off. Is there a way that I can squeeze the 17 fields in one page report? --------------- In Excel, we can hide or show columns when we need them or not. Can I hide/show the fields on report? Thanks Chi Reports in Access are based on queries (ideally), or on tables. If your report is based on a table with 17 fields, you are still not required to include all the fields/controls on your report. A preferable approach would be to create a query that only returns the fields/columns of data you need in you...

How do I rearrange (switch) the information in my columns to rows
Copy the data out of Publisher and into Excel. You can swap it out there with the Paste Special (transpose) command. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "larrey" <larrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:35EA8C76-ACA3-44A8-9876-78AE787885B6@microsoft.com... > The dirty way in Publisher, high-light the table, format menu, table, cell properties tab, check *rotate text within AutoShape by 90 degrees* Rotate the entire table 90 degrees. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.m...

Marginal Abatement Cost
I want to create a marginal abatement cost (MAC) column chart in Excel 2003. The data I am using is sorted for cost ($/tonne/year). Then I have a marginal abatement (tonnes of CO2-e) and cumulative marginal abatement (also tonnes of CO2-e). On the x axis I will have cost. The y axis shall be marginal abatement, the width of the columns shall represent the marginal abatement, and their location on the axis will be determined by the cumulative marginal abatement. Since the data is sorted for cost, the chart shall show increasing cost with an increasing cumulative marginal abatement. ...

Column Graphs #2
I am having trouble with the scaling of my X axis (catagory axis) for a column chart that I have created. It is a series of numbers from 0 to 55. I need the graph to have a linear scale at the bottom and the columns to be distributed accordingly. Any suggestions? Thanks What data are you using for your X values? A column chart does not have a numerical axis. The axis is comprised of a set of labels, or placeholders. Do you need columns, or would another chart type do? Information on chart types and axis types: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/CatVsValueAxis.html http://pu...

calculating subtotals for sequential blank cells in 1 column
if i had a column of data and i need to group/subtotal any cells containing zeros or isolated zeros, wat formula do i put in eg. 0 ) 1 ) 0 ) 0 ) subtotal = 4 (so i know it was a group of four cells) 4 5 1 6 5 0 ) 1 ) 0 ) subtotal = 3 6 7 8 0 ) subtotal = 1 basically the data shows steps and rests, and we need to know how long the rest periods are. single steps surrounded by rest (0) need to be counted as rest intervals. Here is one way. Assuming your data starts in A1... In B1 enter =--(A1=0) In B2 enter =IF(A2=0,B1+1,IF(AND(A1=0,A3=...

undo sorts button
I have a form with a subform that is displayed in datasheet view. When I right click to sort on a column I get A-Z and Z-A options but there is no clear all sorts option so I would like to add a button to clear all sorts. The button is in the detail section beside the subform. The subform name is called [subEditParts]. Can someone help with this, Thanks Wally On Tue, 11 May 2010 07:00:01 -0700, wallymeister <wallymeister@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Me.subEditParts.Form.OrderBy = "" Me.subEditParts.Form.OrderByOn = False -Tom. Microsoft Ac...

Renaming columns #2
I'd like to rename the A B C D at the top to the name of my columns, o at least leave the column headings at the top of my screen. Does anyone know how -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Tools>Options>View, uncheck "Row and column headers". You can insert a row and a column with your own names, but they will not be recognized in formulas the same way as "A1". But you can define row and column names and use the intersection as an address in a formula. The intersection operator is a space. So if you defined the name "Material" for column ...

Macro to find the first cell in a column with different data
Hello, I really could use some of your expert and excellent help with a problem I am having in creating a macro to perform a search in "Column A" to locate a change in the data in that column and then move one column to the right and one row down and type "1" in that cell. I really appreciate your help, and Have a Blessed Holiday Season. Perhaps this might also do it here .. Assuming data is in A1 down, of the structure as below: 1 1 1 2 2 3 3 etc Put in B2: =IF(A2<>A1,1,"") Copy down Kill the formulas in col B with an in-place: Copy > Paste spe...

hiding columns, error message says cannot shift objects off sheet
Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error message says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet'. WHat does this mean and how do I work around it? Thanks! hi, excel thinks that there is data in column IV. excel by default cannot shift data off the sheet ie beyound column IV or below row 65536. solution. highlight all the column to the right of your data and hit the delete key. that should fix it. >-----Original Message----- >Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error message >says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet&...

Sorting contact info by date
Hi Everyone: I'm hoping you can help. Is there any way that you can print a report that shows the last contact date for a Contact. We are trying make a list of customers not contacted within the last 3 months. Is there a way to export it to Excel for instance and create a report that way? Thanks! Assuming you already have a field populated with the last contact date for each contact: Create a table view that shows that field and any other fields you want to appear in the Excel spreadsheet. Set a filter on that view to show only those contacts with a last contact date greater t...

What is the limit size for columns in Excel???
Hi, I am trying to paste some information on a sheet, but I see that columns have a limit size....Is there any "plug in" or some kind of feature to increase the column number??? No. On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:49:02 -0800, "Melissa" <Melissa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, I am trying to paste some information on a sheet, but I see that columns >have a limit size....Is there any "plug in" or some kind of feature to >increase the column number??? Melissa, A sheet is limited to 256 columns. As far as I know there is no way to get around ...

Sorting report by date range
I hae a query set up to sort all my data into nice little reports. The only problem is a month from now I don't want to have to print everything just to get yesterdays report. I would like a query that says only show the records for date X through Y, and I would like to use a form to enter the dates, run the query then show the report for printing. Thanks David Add 2 combo boxes to an unbound form (beginning of date range, and end of date range). Enter the following parameter in the date field of your query. Between [forms]![yourformname]![comboX] and [forms]![yourformname]![comboY...

Excel 2000 STILL hangs on sort
I still cannot understand why I am the only person on this whole planet who seems to have problems sorting Excel spreadsheets. I simply cannot imagine what it is about my system that is unique. As I have repeatedly griped without getting any useful response: 1) I cannot sort any spreadsheet where the data contains a question mark 2) I cannot sort moderate spreadsheets (>2500 rows) where the data includes the results of a subtraction. The bypass for the first problem is to remove all question marks (by searching for '~?'). The bypass for the second problem is to co...

sort column by last digit
Lets say I have a column like: 12435G 19995 188884G 188465 277745 etc etc etc ...and I want to sort it so that the ones that end with the letter G are isolated. Is there a way to do this? -- Kepf ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Kepf's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30611 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=502969 In a helper column, add =IF(RIGHT(A1)="G","G","") then sort by the helper column. -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from...

Printing the last column on every page printed.
I want to be able to print the last column of my spreadsheet (Total column) on every page that is printed from this workbook. How can I do this? I'm stumped... Thanks for your help! Are all the last columns in the same location (column X for example)? If yes, you could group all the sheets (click on the first, ctrl-click on subsequent). then select column X File|print|Select (bottom left corner) Do a preview first. But this prints each worksheet (column) on a different sheet. ====== You could have a macro that built a new worksheet and just copy|pastes values| that last column ...

CListCtrl question: dock columns to right
Hi, I have a CListCtrl which is a child of a resizable dialog. (The list control changes its size when the dialog is resizing). I need that the columns of the list will always be aligned to the right. All the columns (accept the first) have a fixed size. In order to achieve this behaviour I catch the WM_SIZE event of the list control and call to SetColumnWidth of the first column. The width that I set to the first column is the width of the list control minus the sum of the width of all other columns. (see code at the end of the question). Generally it works fine, but I get the most strange be...