Sort column with first and last name by last name

Hello,
I have a mailing list with 10,000 names. The first cell has first an
last name in the same cell. First name is listed first. Is there
formula to sort and/or separate text in a cell. I would like to sort o
separate the first name from the last in the cell to allow for a mai
merge by name. Using Excel 2002. Thank you

If you have just first and last names separated by a space, Data>Text to
Columns would be the easiest method to split into two columns.

If more than that, like names with van or von or de etc. you may need a
different method.

Chip Pearson has a demo workbook and formulas on his FirstLast page.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FirstLast.htm

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 1 May 2004 20:43:56 -0500, rpielet
<<rpielet.15lv77@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote:

>Hello,
>I have a mailing list with 10,000 names. The first cell has first and
>last name in the same cell. First name is listed first. Is there a
>formula to sort and/or separate text in a cell. I would like to sort or
>separate the first name from the last in the cell to allow for a mail
>merge by name. Using Excel 2002. Thank you.
>

>---

Gord

POP3/SMTP server name
Anyone lnow the server name for a POP3 account? If you mean for a Live.com account, see http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!49799.entry Use port 587 rather than port 25 for the SMTP server. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen "Post32" <Legionpost32@live.com> wrote in message = news:edxBF3UcKHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Anyone lnow the server name for a POP3 account? The server is named Janice. Post32 wrote: > Anyone lnow the server name for a POP3 ac...

How do I add the last 10 cells
If I have a column labelled, say, temperature, that is often being added to, how do I add up the last 10 cells. I want excel to do it for me automatically. I want a formula that will find the last filled-in (non blank) cell in a column and then add up the 10 entries above that. Assuming your data starts in A10, then in A9 perhaps, try the following:- =SUM(OFFSET($A$10,COUNT(A10:A9995)-10,,10)) If your data started in A15, formula would be:- =SUM(OFFSET($A$15,COUNT(A15:A10000)-10,,10)) This assumes you have no other data below this range in that column (Or at least within the COUNT range)....

Problem linking the second subform to the first one
Hello, My main form’s recordsource contains work orders headers. The first subform (datasheet view) contains work order details (item records) and linked to the main form through the work order number field. I do not have problems adding/editing records in the first subform. The second subform (datasheet view) contains production records (quantity manufactured for each item in work order by date). So, the second subform linked to the first subform through the work order number and item code fields. I created the Child/Master field links on the second subform and run in On Current e...

Exporting Names and Addresses to Outlook
Hey there. From Outlook, I have tried to import data from Excel into a Contacts list...but when I go to do so, an error message in the Outlook Import/Export Wizard pops up telling me to name the range of data in Excel I'd like to import. When I go to Excel and search the help menu, nothing works.... Help help! Cindy > Hey there. Hello. > > From Outlook, I have tried to import data from Excel into > a Contacts list...but when I go to do so, an error message > in the Outlook Import/Export Wizard pops up telling me to > name the range of data in Excel I'd like...

OL 2002 Lists Multiple Names per Contact When Addressing Emails
Sorry if this question has been asked before but I have not been able to resolve or find relevant solution. When addressing an email in IMO OL 2002 its lists multiple instances per contact when the contact has more than one email address. Fax numbers are also some how liste but don't know why. IN IMO OL 2000 only the default email address was listed when addressing emails. Is there a setting somewhere or software that I could buy for OL 2002 to make it behave like 2000? The following information is an excerpt from 289467 User Profiles and Information Services http://support.micr...

Display Name sorting issue
I have a need to sort a bunch of users and groups to the bottom of the Address List in Exchange. I can prefix the Display Name with an underscore to force an item to the top of the list, but what can I do to sort them to the end of the list. there are two situations where I need this. One is schedulable resources (we are using AutoAcceptAgent) which I need to see in the address list, but I want them below all the general users, not above. If I hide them from Exchange Address Lists then they don't show up in the Resources list either. And because they are Users, they show up in the ...

Sort by grouping
I have a spreadsheet that needs to be sorted. However, some of the rows need to be grouped and sorted with its heading row. How can I do this? Renee You could add the heading to each row, then when you sort by the heading column, all the related rows will stay with the heading. To hide the duplicate headings, you can use conditional formatting, as described here: http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat03.html#Duplicate rreneerob wrote: > I have a spreadsheet that needs to be sorted. However, some of the rows need > to be grouped and sorted with its heading row. How can I do ...

550 relaying to <name@???.com> prohibited by administrator
Since updating Outlook 2003 I keep getting "550 relaying to <name@???.com> prohibited by administrator". I thought it was originally some security setting which checked my contacts to see if the address is in my contacts as some email addresses work and some didn't. After adding them into my contacts it seemed to work for a while and now its intermittent. One day I would reply to the email and its sends o.k. next time it fails with the above error message. Other colleges in the office are not getting this problem but they haven't updated outlook. I have search...

IE8 Not loading pages at first request
IE8 will not load web pages at first request - If I click on a link or a Favourite menu item, it opens a IE window and shows the correct address in the address bar, and at the bottom says 'Done' but the page is blank. The only way I can get the page to load is to click in the address bar, and hit the enter key on my keyboard - therefore asking IE8 to try again. This always works. So why is IE8 not loading the page at first time of asking - why am I having to force it to try a second time? This is happening with many different sites - public and secure, and for many of...

How to sort time data?
I have hours worth of second by second data and need to sort it, but I only need to see every 10 seconds. Is there an easier way than just either deleting hundreds of rows or selecting them (copy and paste)? I am sure you could also write a macro, but I am too familiar with those either. Thank you, I don't fully understand what you mean about "every 10 seconds", but here is the general truth about times: Times are numbers. If you can do something with a number, you can do it with time, even if it doesn't make sense: AVERAGE, STANDARD DEVIATION, MIN, MAX, ROUND, DIVID...

CTreeCtrl::SortChildrenCB()
Using VC6 in Win98SE, and following the example in the MSDN library, I find that my callback procedure is being called, but with LParam1 and LParam2 always zero. I have no clue as to what I might have done to cause this; could this be a bug? "George B" <ghbennett@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23mOwB4LVGHA.5808@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Using VC6 in Win98SE, and following the example in the MSDN library, I > find > that my callback procedure is being called, but with LParam1 and LParam2 > always zero. I have no clue as to what I might have done to cause ...

Exchange 2010 period in netbios domain name
Hello, we just try to upgrade to Exchange 2010 and after installing the first client access server we notice that the EMC failed initializing with the following error (with admin account of course): ------------------ The following error occurred when getting user information for 'netbios domain\username': The operation couldn't be performed because the object 'netbios domain\username' couldn't be found on 'domain controller'. It was running the command 'Get-LogonUser. The username it is looking up is mine and I have full administrative ...

adding space between columns in a chart
I am trying to customize a chart and I need to have a group of three lines (for pre-test days) then a space followed by a single line for the test day. I need to be able to accomplish this but also have a legend for these. have you tried having an empty cell in your data series for the space? "merritaf" wrote: > I am trying to customize a chart and I need to have a group of three lines > (for pre-test days) then a space followed by a single line for the test day. > I need to be able to accomplish this but also have a legend for these. ...

hyperlink to a specific excel column
Hello - I am trying to create a hyperlink in excel, that when clicked will open another excel sheet and highlight, or direct focus to a specific column. Any ideas on how this can be done using basic excel functionality or by writing a simple macro? Example: Hyperlink = Results/myresults.xls ---I want to go to column J. Thx, rleach Another sheet in same workbook........... Right-click on cell and "Hyperlink" From dialog select "place in this document" Select the sheetname and type a cell address in the address box. If, on the other hand, you want to link to a colu...

Referencing column to row across worksheets
I have a column of numbers in one worksheet that I want to use in a row of another sheet as a relative reference. Changes in the first sheet should affect the second. How do I do this? Try the below in Sheet2 and copy across....with data in Sheet1 A2:A10.. Adjust the range to suit =INDEX(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$10,COLUMN(A1)) -- Jacob "LZCenter" wrote: > I have a column of numbers in one worksheet that I want to use in a row of > another sheet as a relative reference. Changes in the first sheet should > affect the second. > > How do I do this...

XY Scatter Chart with X-axis displays the Category Name
Hi, i am having data like this Code - Qty X - 100 Y - 500 Z - 700, i would like to plot xy scatter graph like in which, X axis shows, all code name i.e X,Y,Z and Y axis shows the values, is it possible ? You've described a line chart. Line charts can use arbitrary labels as X values, while an XY chart requires numeric values. In either type of chart, the series formatting can be the same (e.g., XY charts with lines connecting the points and Line charts with no lines). In this respect, the terminology is confusing. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Cus...

How can give the same name to a row or column in different sheets.
I have sheet that does that. It has the same name for similar ranges, only they are specific to the sheet, but I don't seem to be able to do it When you wish to create a WS specific (local) named range, Select the range, Click in the "name box", And enter the sheet name *before* the range name, followed with an exclamation point. Sheet1!myrange Sheet2!myrange If you know ahead of time that you will need locally named ranges, you could create them on a single WS, then, you can copy this sheet, where each copy will then already contain it's own locally named ranges. -- HTH...

How to MATCH value up a column
I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Hi I don't know what you are looking for, but see: MATCH(A2,A1:F1,0) or VLOOKUP(A3,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE) -- Please click "yes" if this post helped you! Greatly appreciated Eva "DevourU" wrote: > I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Thankx for the reply. Here is my formula:=IF(A11>A10,C10,(IF(A11=A10,A10,"?"))). I need to have IF(A11<A10, search up column A for 1st match, example A4, display next column B4. Clear as mu...

numbers to left of column A
I am using MS Office 2002 with XP OS and have an Excel workbook with worksheets in it. Two of these worksheets have the numbers 1 and 2 t the left of the A column. What does this mean and how do I use them o get rid of them? Thanks ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com You have some grouped rows. If you Expand the groupings (Data, Group and Outline, Show Detail) you will see that rows have been grouped together and you can hide whole groups of rows with one...

Check Names
Why does the subject button give me the option of the "business fax" for an email address? How do I send out 100 emails and make each one appear personal? Thanks The Subject button? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Clifford Smith" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:346201c3ad1e$59277c90$3101280a@phx.gbl... > Why does the subject button give me the option of > the "business fax" for an email address? > > How do I send out 100 emails and make each one appear > personal? > > Thanks ...

Despite formatting a column in Excel 2002 worksheet as Short Date.
Having created a column formatted as a date in a 2002 Excel spreadsheet the column a figure which seems to be the number of days from a date in 1900. It is recognised as a date in both the formula bar at the head of the spreadsheet and when the cursor is moved over the field. I have looked at all the options but cannot see anything that will change this. Can you please help Pete It sounds like you toggled the formula view (nice for debugging worksheet formulas). Tools|options|View tab|uncheck formulas. On my USA keyboard, I can toggle this setting with ctrl-` (control-backquote (the k...

Delete Table row with first cell not empty
Hi, I need a macro to do the following: I have a table like this, starting in row 6. ] ] A B C D E 6] 1 N N N 7] 2 N N N N 8] 3 N N N N 9] 4 10]5 11] 12] 13] etc. 100] Rows 11 to 100 are empty. I want to select area A1:E100 and delete all content from table rows A9:E9 and A10:E10, because these table rows have empty cells from columns B through to E. The rows are marked by an ID number as in numbers 1 to 5 above. When cells in columns B to E are found to be empty, the content of the table row, including the row ID, must be deleted. Note, this is not deleting t...

Removing certain things from 1 column
I can't figure out how to remove a specific thing from my column.. have mailing addresses with number and street name in column a, cit and state in cloumn b and mailing zip in column c... The zip cod came in in zip+4 format... so it reads 91206-4695. The entire coloum is like that and I wanted to know i there was any way to remove the -4695 through out the records. Not al the of the zip codes are the same but they all contain the - with numbers after. Is there any way to get rid of this -- ABASSANETT ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ABASSAN...

How do I keep the first row from moving?
I have Office 2000 and just exported a spread sheet from another program. In the first row it has the titles for the information in the colums. I need to sort the information different ways and would like to be able to lock the first row. How can I do this? Thanks for your help Ryan place cursor where desired such as cell C2 then window>freeze pane -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Ryan Ashline" <ashline@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:54109d7d.0401270645.4631628a@posting.google.com... > I have Office 2000 and just exported a spread sheet from an...

previous owner's name
I purchased a used computer and now when I send email attachments the "from" shows the previous owners name. I am also receiving that person's email. I do not know how to correct this. What version and mode of outlook? See Help, About if unsure. In many cases, you can go to control panel, mail. Delete the accounts and create new ones. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most rece...