Sort Column by Text Color or BackGrd Color

Does anyone have a method that allows you to sort by Text
Color or by Background Color?
0
anonymous (74722)

Darn!  It's so cold here in Massachussetts that my fingers hit the wrong key.

Check out Chip Pearson's page.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm

Good Luck,
Mark Graesser
mark_graesser@yahoo.com

     ----- Ken Dickens wrote: -----

     Does anyone have a method that allows you to sort by Text
     Color or by Background Color?

0
anonymous (74722)

anonymous (74722)
1/14/2004 7:01:56 PM
Ken,

The principle is to create a UDF to calculate the Colorindex and add it to
an adjacent column, and then sort by that column. Chip Pearson shows the
technique at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Ken Dickens" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have a method that allows you to sort by Text
> Color or by Background Color?

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
1/14/2004 7:04:21 PM
Thx Mark & Bob, Great info on that site.  kd

0
anonymous (74722)
1/15/2004 2:54:07 PM
Your Welcome
0
anonymous (74722)

formatting text on chart for specific values
Please help! I have a list of dates on X axis and # of downtime minutes for those dates on the Y axis. I'd like to show all of the dates that have downtime=0 as blue text, but I can't figure out how to make only those with a y value of 0 show up as blue on my chart. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! Hi, This page may help with the formatting of axis labels. http://www.andypope.info/charts/hiliteaxislabels.htm Cheers Andy satraver wrote: > Please help! I have a list of dates on X axis and # of downtime minutes for > those dates on the Y axis. I'd like to show ...

VBA solution to paste text into megred cells
I do realize that merged cells are bad news. I'm stuck with an Excel 2003 worksheet, which contains this dreaded feature. Users are complaining that on trying to paste text into merged cells gives Excel Warnings: "Data on the Clipboard is not the same size and shape as the selected area. Do you want to paste anyway?" And: "Cannot change part of a merged cell." Interestingly, though if the user hits F2, which places the cursor in the formula bar, then the paste operation works! I'm usually reasonably of Ok with VBA; but this ...

OUTLOOK 2007
I purchased new notebook from Dubai having Vista Home. While uising OUTLOOK 2007, the email messages make and receipts in Plain text receive in Right to Left Direction. My requirment is default text direction as Left to Right. I think problem is coming becuase of arabic or Urdu language which is set in Window Vista. I have tried all option i.e. set language as English, key board as US, email template as left to right direction but this problem is not solved till todate. I request Microsoft or member in Discussion group to help me for solving this problem. Tools, options, left to ri...

How to customize Outlook 2003, e.g. remove button text in toolbar?
I cannot find where to do that :( Thanks, Tien, Right click on the toolbar, select Customize, then right click on the button, select Default style. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Do Quyet Tien asked: | I cannot find where to do that :( | Thanks, | Tien, Thanks, but why is it easy like customize IE toolbars, just select option "No text labels...

Color Picker in Excel
Hi All, I will appreciate if someone can guide me to do a color picker using VBA in excel. I need to display the 57 colors of the palette and get the color index returned to put that value in a cell. A simple box with colors to do this using userform on xl's inbuilt dialog will be fine. Looking forward to all your help ! Thanx and regds Shuvro '-----------------------------�------------------------------�-------------- -- Function GetColorindex(Optional Text As Boolean = False) As Long '-----------------------------�------------------------------�-------------- -- Dim rngCurr...

How to substitute for a non-existing column in a joined table
Hi, Is there a simpler way than a UNION to return a default value of a joined table for which a corresponding row does not exist? The following example (not a working one, of course) illustrates what I'm after. I'd like to return 'N/A' as c2name if there is no matching row in t2 SELECT t1.c1 (CASE t2.t1pk WHEN NULL THEN 'N/A' ELSE t2.name END) AS c2name, FROM t1 LEFT JOIN t2 ON t2.t1pk = t1.pk Thanks. On 2010-04-21 21:05, bob wrote: > Is there a simpler way than a UNION to return a default value of a joined > table for which a ...

Outlook 2007 256 Color Mode
Just returned home from a business trip, opened up my Outlook 2007 and it was UGLY! Looks like its running on 256 color mode or something. Running on Microsoft Vista / Office 2007 / Dell GX620 pc. It was working before I left. Not sure what cause or solution is. Tried doing a Office Repair...no affect. HELP! If you have a solution, please e-mail me at mcsims@gmail.com as I may loose this site location. Thanks...Michael Is it ONLY Outlook that looks that way? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com <mcsims@gmail.com> wrote in message ...

Change cell background color based on content that results from li
This could be very simple, but I will lay the groundwork first. I have a schedule spreadsheet that I import data to from a web based program. There are existing filters to remove all formatting of the data and remove that which we do not use. What remains is a non formatted sheet that other workbooks link to so we can produce daily sheets. Now the data that is linked on the other sheets may be for example the number 150. It appears throughout the sheet and I would like to color any cell that contains the number 150. The problem is I can't search for 150 because it reall...

FORMATING COLUMNS..... HELP
I need to format columns to allow only 7 characters and the rest of the data to go into column B -- JTEFUN "JTEFUN" <JTEFUN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C5C7A99-E83F-430E-9576-6D1DB57B9311@microsoft.com... >I need to format columns to allow only 7 characters and the rest of the >data > to go into column B > -- > JTEFUN > If you mean that if a user types a lot of data into the one cell and that when they reach 7 characters the rest of the data is automatically inserted into the next cell, then I don't think you can do that....

Sort highest by name
I have 55 teams in A1 to A55. I have their scores in B1 to B55. Is there a way to list the scores (highest to lowest) but giving their team names instead of all the numbers in order of the highest to the lowest? Help Obe 1 Why don't you just sort this data by column B in descending order? Select the range starting from cell B1 then just click the sort descending button on the toolbar. If you don't want to sort the data then you could use a formula. Are there any tie scores? What type of values are the scores? Are they whole numbers? Decimals? -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP &qu...

Rows and Columns Settings Problem
How do you set rows and columns in a way that when you scrol down/column you can always see a certain row(s)/column(s) -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Check out XL Help for "Freeze Panes" In article <JMorgan.1ad5vf@excelforum-nospam.com>, JMorgan <<JMorgan.1ad5vf@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: > How do you set rows and columns in a way that when you scroll > down/column you can always see a certain row(s)/column(s). Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Question re:clustered column w/3D visual effect
I have Excel 2003 Why wont the 3D chart allow you to drag it more open? There is a large open area between the left side and the axis that looks jerky :) In a plain clustered column chart you can click inside to make the frame appear and drag it larger or smaller as you desire. In the 3D, clicking only allows you to change the angles of the 3D box. Am I missing something? thanks, Meenie This should be a hint to avoid the 3D effects. 3D charts are inflexible, but more important, the 3D effects mask the information in the chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc....

BULK Conditional Formatting
I've read the posts on conditional formatting for cell colour based o another cell's value (eg. set the conditional formatting to "formul is" and then "=A1>0" and set the colour as red / blue / whatever...) however wondering if I can do this for an entire column withou individually changing the conditional formatting for each cell one b one (as there are over 400 rows). Basically I need a formula that reads the contents of column B for th particular row that is active. Can anyone help -- Rob Moyl ---------------------------------------------------------------...

Charting depending on criteria & data series name as a column val
I want to chart some prices as I want to take a look at price trends. My problems, and I can not figure out how to solve them, are: 1. Is it possible to dynamically change the chart depending on certain criteria (product family & selected customers) 2. As the number of customers is variable and they are in one of the columns. Is it possible to plot a series (customer name), depending on the name of a column? 3. I want to chart the data based on the date, but just include the dates available, to prevent periods of time showing no change (e.g. I don't want monthly ticks for the x a...

Counting Texts
If cell A1 contains a paragraph of texts and if I want to count just letter "W"s (Upper or lower case), How can I achieve this? Example: A1 contains "How now brown cow" the formula should return "4". Thank you. Write a macro and use the VBA functions Instr(strName, "w") together with Split(strName, "w") and count the number of times that it finds "w" or "W" Chris "Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CC60AA13-B569-4C55-BDC7-1B6295CDAFB9@microsoft.com... > If cell A1 co...

Emails missing text
We have about 80 users on our Exchange server. We have 2 users that have an issue with reading their email. It appears that when they open the email the right side of the email/text is gone. When I shadow their session I can see the entire email but they cannot. It is as if they right section of the text of the email was deleted. I'm sorry I'm not explaining this well. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks ...

How do I filter rows based upon a column value
I have a spreadsheet that contains multiple agency id's in a column. When generating reports, I would like to filter per agency and display only the rows associated with that agency. Is there a tutorial or sample on how to do this? Hi It sounds like you are looking for Data / Filter / AutoFilter. Have a look here for some basics: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html -- Andy. "Jack" <nfr@nospam.com> wrote in message news:eqiU08TVEHA.2988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I have a spreadsheet that contains multiple agency id's in a column. When > generati...

how do i change or remove a signiture that is under outo text hea.
Someone please help i am using outlook 2003 and i am triyng to change a signiture that is under auto text. to get into it i open a message push insert then outo text then signiture. I want to change it. I have closed the untilted message gone to tools then options then mail format then signitures then remove all the signitures but the signiture under insert and outo text is still there See if this helps: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP051860291033.aspx -- Bill R "nearly bald with frustration" <nearly bald with frustration@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

Export excel file to semicolon delimited text file
Hello all. We have the need to export a file from excel to a semicolon delimited text file. Is there a way to do this from Excel directly? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions? TIA for your help. If you change your regional settings to use the semicolon as your list separator, you can save as .csv and it should work. But this may affect other programs, too--since it's a windows setting. windows start button|settings|control panel|regional and language options| regional options tab|customize button near the bottom. On the other hand, if you don't want to fiddle with...

text size in reading pane
Where is the font selection / text size control for the Outlook 2003 reading pane (incoming emails)? I just bought a brand new dell with windows xp and all and I can't even increase the text size of incoming emails as I could with older versions of Outlook Express. I have been trying to figure this out for around 15 hours now and have come up empty. What kind of progress is this anyway???? A program rendered unable to accomplish such a simple practical thing like that!! Im very upset. My vision is poor. Unless I get an answer soon, I am considering a return of this unit to dell...

can't see text in any office files anymore
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel on my macbookpro: can't see text in any office files anymore (word, powerpoint, excel). only when using preview function from OSX. <br> what's wrong??? <br> do I have to re-install the all suite? any quick fix? ...

columns changed to numbers instead of letters?
I noticed my excel clumns have changed from letters to numbers and forumlas now look like =RC[-1]*R[-3]C[6] I was trying to make the R[-3]C[6] static (using the $) but it errors. Thanks Mike In Excel Options uncheck "R1C1 Reference Style" Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 20:25:30 -0400, Mike <no_please@not.com> wrote: >I noticed my excel clumns have changed from letters to numbers and >forumlas now look like =RC[-1]*R[-3]C[6] >I was trying to make the R[-3]C[6] static (using the $) but it errors. >Thanks >Mike ...

How do I remove cross hatches in Sigma column
Addition of a column results in cross hatches. How do I get rid of the cross hatches and simply have the sum printed in the column? Widen the cell so the resulting value will fit. Excel does this so you don't accidentally SEE a number that's LESS than the actual number, which is what would occur if the column wasn't wide enough. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "YHESSLER@EXAMPLE.COM" <YHESSLER@EXAMPLE.COM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08545D7F-E1B3-4879-A7DB-A2B723DDCD3F@microsoft.com... > Addition of a column results in cro...

Column names
Is there any code to convert column(number) to column(letters), and V.V. e.g. 27 for AA, AB for 28 Thanks =COLUMN(AA:AA) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "daniel chen" <danchen@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:eRRce.675942$w62.535613@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > Is there any code to convert column(number) to column(letters), and V.V. > e.g. 27 for AA, AB for 28 > Thanks > Hi, Peo Great! Thanks. How about the other way? i.e. 27 for AA "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23MpiXScTFHA.2560@TK2MSFTNG...

comparing 2 similar columns on seperate work sheets in 1 workbook
How can I compare a column from worksheet 1 to a column in worksheet 2 of the same work book? BTW, the cell my have a number or text in it but not formulas "Dan" wrote: > How can I compare a column from worksheet 1 to a column in worksheet 2 of the > same work book? What are you looking for? If you want to find out if each cell in Column A of sheet1 appears in column A of sheet2, you could use a helper column of formulas: =isnumber(match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0)) and drag down And you could use the same kind of formula that will tell you if values in sheet2 appear in sheet1. ...