song list

is there a way of generating a list in excel from songs i have saved on my d
drive?
0
Nick4562 (282)

If all of  your files are in this format, I have one

artist - title.mp3

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> is there a way of generating a list in excel from songs i have saved on my
> drive?

0
Don
7/4/2005 10:26:18 PM
i do have them in that format

"Don Guillett" wrote:

> If all of  your files are in this format, I have one
>
> artist - title.mp3
>

> --
> Don Guillett
> SalesAid Software
> donaldb@281.com
> "nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > is there a way of generating a list in excel from songs i have saved on my
> > drive?

0
Nick4562 (282)
7/4/2005 10:36:04 PM
Nick

One method to pull directly to Excel is to use Tushar Mehta's Excel Add-in.
This allows filtering and sorting once you have the data in Excel.

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/  scroll down to Add-ins>Directory Listing.

Download the ZIP file and un-zip to your Office\Library folder.

Go to Tools>Add-ins and checkmark Tushar's add-in.

TM will show up on your Worksheet Menu Bar.

Click it and browse to the folder of songs.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 15:19:01 -0700, "nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>is there a way of generating a list in excel from songs i have saved on my d
>drive?

0
Gord
7/4/2005 10:52:24 PM
Then send me, OFF list your email and I will send.
I will NOT respond to any request made ON list.

--
> i do have them in that format
>
> "Don Guillett" wrote:
>
> > If all of  your files are in this format, I have one
> >
> > artist - title.mp3
> >

> > --
> > Don Guillett
> > SalesAid Software
> > donaldb@281.com
> > "nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > is there a way of generating a list in excel from songs i have saved
on my
> > > drive?

0
Don
7/4/2005 10:56:54 PM
Personally, I prefer to use Jim Cone's fine Add-in called "ListFiles" for
this sort of thing..........
It returns the filename, filetype, filesize, date, a total count of the
files, and a hyperlink  to each file.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

> Nick
>
> One method to pull directly to Excel is to use Tushar Mehta's Excel
Add-in.
> This allows filtering and sorting once you have the data in Excel.
>
> http://www.tushar-mehta.com/  scroll down to Add-ins>Directory Listing.
>
> Download the ZIP file and un-zip to your Office\Library folder.
>
> Go to Tools>Add-ins and checkmark Tushar's add-in.
>
> TM will show up on your Worksheet Menu Bar.
>
> Click it and browse to the folder of songs.
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 15:19:01 -0700, "nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >is there a way of generating a list in excel from songs i have saved on
my d
> >drive?

0
croberts (1377)
7/4/2005 11:03:32 PM
Chuck

Post the URL so's we can download and try Jim's fine Add-in.

Or change the obvious in my email address and send me a copy.

Thanks,     Gord

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 19:03:32 -0400, "CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>Personally, I prefer to use Jim Cone's fine Add-in called "ListFiles" for
>this sort of thing..........
>It returns the filename, filetype, filesize, date, a total count of the
>files, and a hyperlink  to each file.
>
>Vaya con Dios,
>Chuck, CABGx3
>

>"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>> Nick
>>
>> One method to pull directly to Excel is to use Tushar Mehta's Excel
>Add-in.
>> This allows filtering and sorting once you have the data in Excel.
>>
>> http://www.tushar-mehta.com/  scroll down to Add-ins>Directory Listing.
>>
>> Download the ZIP file and un-zip to your Office\Library folder.
>>
>> Go to Tools>Add-ins and checkmark Tushar's add-in.
>>
>> TM will show up on your Worksheet Menu Bar.
>>
>> Click it and browse to the folder of songs.
>>

>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>>
>> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 15:19:01 -0700, "nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >is there a way of generating a list in excel from songs i have saved on
>my d
>> >drive?

0
Gord
7/4/2005 11:32:00 PM
gord...

went to the site and did as you instructed and can't seem to find the TM in
the worksheet menu bar

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Nick
>
> One method to pull directly to Excel is to use Tushar Mehta's Excel Add-in.
> This allows filtering and sorting once you have the data in Excel.
>
> http://www.tushar-mehta.com/  scroll down to Add-ins>Directory Listing.
>
> Download the ZIP file and un-zip to your Office\Library folder.
>
> Go to Tools>Add-ins and checkmark Tushar's add-in.
>
> TM will show up on your Worksheet Menu Bar.
>
> Click it and browse to the folder of songs.
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 15:19:01 -0700, "nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >is there a way of generating a list in excel from songs i have saved on my d
> >drive?

0
Nick4562 (282)
7/4/2005 11:46:01 PM
this is my first time on here and not quite sure how to send you off list my
email address

"Don Guillett" wrote:

> Then send me, OFF list your email and I will send.
> I will NOT respond to any request made ON list.
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> SalesAid Software
> donaldb@281.com
> "nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > i do have them in that format
> >
> > "Don Guillett" wrote:
> >
> > > If all of  your files are in this format, I have one
> > >
> > > artist - title.mp3
> > >

> > > --
> > > Don Guillett
> > > SalesAid Software
> > > donaldb@281.com
> > > "nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> on my

0
Nick4562 (282)
7/4/2005 11:48:01 PM
Alternatively, for the DOS holdovers:
1. Open a command prompt window, and change to the proper drive
2. Type DIR > mp3list.txt and press Enter
3. Open mp3list.txt from Excel

0
CycleZen (674)
7/4/2005 11:50:47 PM
If you have extracted Directory.xla to your Office\Library folder and loaded
it through Tools>Add-ins you should see TM just to the right of Help on the
menu.

Re-trace.....perhaps you missed a step.

With Excel closed..........

1.  Download the ZIP file from Tushar's site.

2.  Extract to Libray

3.  Open Excel and go to Tools>Add-ins.

4.  Find "Directory"(no quotes) and checkmark the option box and OK.

Gord

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 16:46:01 -0700, "nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>gord...
>
>went to the site and did as you instructed and can't seem to find the TM in
>the worksheet menu bar
>
>"Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
>> Nick
>>
>> One method to pull directly to Excel is to use Tushar Mehta's Excel Add-in.
>> This allows filtering and sorting once you have the data in Excel.
>>
>> http://www.tushar-mehta.com/  scroll down to Add-ins>Directory Listing.
>>
>> Download the ZIP file and un-zip to your Office\Library folder.
>>
>> Go to Tools>Add-ins and checkmark Tushar's add-in.
>>
>> TM will show up on your Worksheet Menu Bar.
>>
>> Click it and browse to the folder of songs.
>>

>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>>
>> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 15:19:01 -0700, "nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >is there a way of generating a list in excel from songs i have saved on my d
>> >drive?

0
Gord
7/5/2005 12:03:46 AM
got it. thanks for the help

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> If you have extracted Directory.xla to your Office\Library folder and loaded
> it through Tools>Add-ins you should see TM just to the right of Help on the
> menu.
>
> Re-trace.....perhaps you missed a step.
>
> With Excel closed..........
>
> 1.  Download the ZIP file from Tushar's site.
>
> 2.  Extract to Libray
>
> 3.  Open Excel and go to Tools>Add-ins.
>
> 4.  Find "Directory"(no quotes) and checkmark the option box and OK.
>

> Gord
>
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 16:46:01 -0700, "nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >gord...
> >
> >went to the site and did as you instructed and can't seem to find the TM in
> >the worksheet menu bar
> >
> >"Gord Dibben" wrote:
> >
> >> Nick
> >>
> >> One method to pull directly to Excel is to use Tushar Mehta's Excel Add-in.
> >> This allows filtering and sorting once you have the data in Excel.
> >>
> >> http://www.tushar-mehta.com/  scroll down to Add-ins>Directory Listing.
> >>
> >> Download the ZIP file and un-zip to your Office\Library folder.
> >>
> >> Go to Tools>Add-ins and checkmark Tushar's add-in.
> >>
> >> TM will show up on your Worksheet Menu Bar.
> >>
> >> Click it and browse to the folder of songs.
> >>

> >> Gord Dibben Excel MVP

0
Nick4562 (282)
7/5/2005 12:22:08 AM
Gord,

Just sent you a copy in a separate email.
No URL in existence yet so...
For others interested, the add-in is free upon direct request.
Remove XXX from my email address.

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA
jim.coneXXX@rcn.comXXX

Chuck
Post the URL so's we can download and try Jim's fine Add-in.
Or change the obvious in my email address and send me a copy.
Thanks,     Gord

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 19:03:32 -0400, "CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>Personally, I prefer to use Jim Cone's fine Add-in called "ListFiles" for
>this sort of thing..........
>It returns the filename, filetype, filesize, date, a total count of the
>files, and a hyperlink  to each file.
>Vaya con Dios,
>Chuck, CABGx3

0
jim.coneXXX (771)
7/5/2005 12:38:24 AM
Send a direct email request to Don.

His email address is in his signature--right under his name in his messages.

--

Dave Peterson
0
> Personally, I prefer to use Jim Cone's fine Add-in called "ListFiles" for
> this sort of thing..........

Same here, I'm also using Jim's product.
It's a real blast <g>, with excellent results !
--
Rgds
Max

0
demechanik (4694)
7/5/2005 1:34:32 AM
nothing wrong with the other suggestions but John Walkenbach has also done
this specifically for mp3s, adding a twist of using namespace information to
extract details like bit rate and song length.

Robin Hammond
www.enhanceddatasystems.com

"nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> is there a way of generating a list in excel from songs i have saved on my
> drive?

0
rjNOrhSPAM (52)
7/5/2005 8:55:59 AM
Thanks for posting this Robin.

Didn't know(or forgot) about John's MP3-specific utility.

Gord

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 16:55:59 +0800, "Robin Hammond"
<rjNOrhSPAM@PLEASEnetvigator.com> wrote:

>nothing wrong with the other suggestions but John Walkenbach has also done
>this specifically for mp3s, adding a twist of using namespace information to
>extract details like bit rate and song length.
>http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip103.htm
>
>Robin Hammond
>www.enhanceddatasystems.com
>
>"nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> is there a way of generating a list in excel from songs i have saved on my
>> drive?

0
Gord

Multilevel lists 03-02-10
Our office creates many documents with multilevel lists in them. Typically these lists are a mix of headings and numbered paragraphs. They usually look something like this: 1. Heading (bold, underline) [List level 1] 1.1 Heading (bold) [List level 2] a. Paragraph (default styling) [List level 3] i. List (default styling or no spacing) [List level 4] The number scheme is fairly consistent from document to document, but the styling isn't. E.g. in another document list level 2 mi...

need to copy a long list of file names
I have a long list of file names (240 from a search) that I need to put into Excel. Copy won't do it. How now brown cow??? Here's a reference to an earlier post that addressed that: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/browse_thread/thread/c52feb7a3eaeec29/5851f917eac4be8f?q=dos+cyclezen&rnum=3#5851f917eac4be8f "=?Utf-8?B?Z2lsY29sYQ==?=" <gilcola@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:44810615-F977-4EC9-8DBB-D0C6D466AB67@microsoft.com: > I have a long list of file names (240 from a search) that I need to > put into Excel. Copy ...

Outlook 2003
Is there a text file to edit on the computer for this list, opposed to doing it in outlook 2003? No. The list is still built dynamically when you add senders to the list. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer BoDEAN <jbo@not_a_valid_email_addy.com> asked: | Is there a text file to edit on the computer for this list, opposed to | doing it in outlook 2003? ...

Cascaded Drop Down Lists in Access 2007...
Hi all, I am trying to build cascaded drop down lists (combo boxes) in access form. I have two combo boxes. While running the form, one combo box is filled with the names of countries and other with the names of cities. Now, I want to populate the second combo box with only those cities based on the country in the first combox box. How can I do this? Thanks in advance, Best Regards. See: Limit content of combo/list boxes at: http://www.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0028.htm -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tip...

List output to a x by 10 range
I have a list that x lines long. I want to transpose that list to another range (starting on cell M1) that is 10 columns wide and however many rows long. I know this is super simple. Does it have something to do with range resizing? No doubt you've already experimented with macro recorder, discovering the standard transpose command wont wrap within a range. So we need handle the transposition manually. Presuming your data begins in cell A2: Sub test() For Each c In Range("A2", "A" & Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row) Row = Row + 1 ...

Merging Excel contact list with Outlook email
Hello:confused:! I have a list of around 300 contacts in Excel with their names an their email addresses. I want to send all of them the same email, bu personalising each mail for each person. I dont want to copy and past each email and each name individually into the message 300 times. Is there a way of automating the process so that the emails ar automatically inserted into the the email address box, and the names o the contacts are inserted just after the word "Dear" in the message? Thank you so much in advance:) ! Mo -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try thi...

Recipient update policy and smtp addresses for distribution lists
Good day, I have stumbled across a little annoyance with our deployment (co-exist w/55) of Exchange 2003. We have our 5.5 box still with all our mailboxes on and smtp inbound/outbound. I have the 2003 server running, ADC seems to be doing it's job and public / system folders are replicating. This little annoyance was (as with many such things) mainly an error on my part in testing :) We have some distribution lists on 5.5 such as "Sales" which have people who are in... well, sales. I intentionally removed the smtp address sales@mycompany.com for that dist. list so the...

formula to count matching days between two date ranges (for large list of names)
I have two sheets. Sheet 1 and sheet 2. Sheet1: has a list of Social Security Numbers, followed by a date Range (i.e., start date field and end date field). The date ranges are discrete (i.e., do not overlap) with each other for any given name. SHEET 1 Name A Start Date A End Date SSN1 1/1/09 1/5/09 SSN2 4/1/09 4/15/09 SSN1 3/2/10 3/15/10 SSN3 ETC... Sheet 2 has the same information (i.e., multiple records with SSNs, followed by date ranges Name B Start Date B End Date RESULT NEEDED SSN1 1/1/09 1/31/09 5 SSN2 4...

can not see all entries in Global Address list
I have a user who can not see all the items in the Global Address list. Why would that be? Could be a few things. What do they see? Are they missing one or two new entries? If so, are they using Outlook 2003? By default, this uses an offline address book which means the OAB will need to be rebuilt and downloaded to see the new entries. The rebuild happens once a day by default, but it can be forced via ESM. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Pearl" <Pearl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Smart lists work sometimes (2007)
There is a block of text (10-12 lines) in a Word 2007 document. If I type "* " on a blank line anywhere before or after those few lines, Word will convert it to a bulleted list. If I do the exact same thing anywhere with those lines, it just leaves it as an asterisk and a space. The block of text is nothing special. It's 10-12 1-line paragraphs all set to the normal style. What the heck could possibly be going on inside that block? Since they are being turned into bullet lists automatically do this. Add another * (asterik) symbol to a line. Press enter so that it...

Dynamics GP v9.0 Utilities
No servers are currently listed after launching Dynamics GP Utilities. Please help! Server: no server listed User id: sa Password: ****************** ...

Drop Down List Titles As Default And Reset Button
I have a data entry sheet used for various forms by numerous people. have drop down windows with standard info. I would like to title each drop down window and use the title as default. I would like to establish a "RESET" button to bring the data sheet bac to the default titles. Any ideas how to establish default titles and set up a "RESET" button -- travelerswa ----------------------------------------------------------------------- travelersway's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1762 View this thread: http://www.excelforu...

Category listings
I have quite a few categories that I have dragged contacts into. In one category there is a contact that I don't always want to include. I tried deleting that contact from within the category listing figuring I could drag the contact back into the category after sending out the emails. But that also deleted it from my master list, also. Is there a way to avoid that? After you enter the category in one of the fields, there will be a plus sign in front of the category. Click on the plus sign to expand the category. Then, you can delete any contacts. -- Ron Sommer ...

limit to list
thank you ================= The text you entered isn't an item in the list Select an item from the list, or enter text that matches one of the listed items ============== How can change this message with custom On Dec 28, 2:30 pm, "a" <A...@a.com> wrote: > thank you > > ================= > > The text you entered isn't an item in the list > > Select an item from the list, or enter text that matches one of the listed > items > > ============== > > How can change this message with custom Use the control's NotInList to event...

Unable to Update Sharepoint list from MS Access
I have linked some WSS 2.0 lists to an Access 2003 mdb. I can open the linked tables and manually update the data without any problem. However, I want to update the WSS list from an Access query but I keep getting an Operation Must Use an Updatable Query error message. I have tried updaing just one field and still get the same error. Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot. TIA Dean I would reccomend not using SharePoint linked tables seriously-- it's too buggy for real world usage "Dean" <deanl144@hotmail.com.nospam> wrote in message news:uYjAGi%23lHHA.2060@TK2M...

Obtain a list of all files in one sub-directory with VBA?
Is it possible to obtain a list of all files in one sub-directory with Access 2007 VBA code? Brad "Brad" <Brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:833ACDD1-E21F-4CDC-B8A3-5A68CE70B853@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to obtain a list of all files in one sub-directory with > Access > 2007 VBA code? > > Brad Dim fdr As String fdr = Dir("c:\temp\*.*") Do While fdr <> "" debug.Print fdr fdr = Dir Loop This will output all the file names contained in c:\temp to the debug window. Stua...

Showing the Sent/Recieved date in views listing email activities
Hi does anyone know of a way that you can display a sent or recieved date when displaying a list of email activities? TIA Antony Antony, Interesting question. I never thought about it before, but I did some research. For incoming e-mails, it seems that the date/time it was received can be either the createdon or modifiedon attributes. They seem to be the same values. For outgoing e-mails, the modifiedon attribute seems to be the correct attribute. So, my guess is that the modifiedon attribute has the information you need. You can tell if an e-mail is incoming or outgoing using the di...

Going from column to comma separated list...
I have a list of names, each in its own cell. I need them to be in a column, not a row. But, what I would like to do, is be able to select all the names and copy them and then, when I paste them into word or another spreadsheet have them separated by commas. So: Jeff Joe Sally becomes Jeff, Joe, Sally The excel file starts out as a CSV that was created using a text editor already in the format I want with the commas between the names... but I need to open it as an excel spreadsheet so I can do some filtering and sorting. I keep the file saved as a CSV. But, when I open the file a...

creating master excel record list
I'm looking to simplify record keeping of work in progress which is provided by weekly excel worksheets created from importing data from another datasource. I'd like to import the desired records to a master list from which a filtered list will be created & automatically maintained by linkling updates to the master list edited as records are modified by users How can this be done by novice user? ...

time list box
is it possible to make a list box which opens w/ 1st shift , 2nd shift, 3rd shift. and upon selecting one of these, would open a 2nd box containing an hourly list w/ the hours of the day in 15 min increments? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Debra Dalgleish has a technique for doing this with Data|Validation: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html (you'll have to make those lists yourself, though.) "-Brian-H- <" wrote: > > is it possible to make a list box which opens w/ 1st shift , 2nd shift, > 3rd shift. and upon selecting one of the...

excel 2003, list box:
i size it the whenever i reopen the worksheet the size changes. i can size it using both with the handles and with the properties box ...

List Box Troubles
I have a form that I am trying to create. Within this form, one of the things you choose is a product ID. Once that is chosen, I would like to have my listbox refreshed with all of the warehouses that the product is available in. I first attempted to create a temp table on the AfterUpdate event of my ProdID label. I receive an error stating the previous temp table can't be deleted because it is in use. I would use the control source in properties, but I don't know how to "pass" the prodID variable like that. It has been a little while since I have worked in Ac...

can anyone do a timber take off list for me. Thanks

Email address part of distribution list used in queue does not get emails
Hi, I have given email id to a queue and it receives mails if included in CRM Router. There is another email id given to a queue, where this email id is part of a distribution list to which email gets forwarded from different email id. For ex. Queue 1 --> Email id1 --- Works External customers send mail to Email id2 and there has been forward rule written in to forward the same to Email id3. Queue 2 --> Email id3 --- Does not work. Email id 1 is in CRM Router. Checked with putting both Email id2 and id3 in CRM Router -- Does not work. Checked with putting only Email id3 --- D...

Generating a report list and statistic worksheet in Excel from other workbooks
Hello- I am trying to put together a reporting function, and I have little experience working with Excel programming. I have multiple workbooks set aside for different users, who update the information in list format on a daily basis. These are project lists, so they require daily text and numerical input, and the length of the lists vary as the projects close or open. I am trying to make a master workbook that brings all of these lists together onto a single list. On this master workbook is a worksheet that needs to update and add a row of statistical data on a daily basis. Additionally...