Someone must have asked this before but I can't find it!

Being a relative Excel newcomer I,m not sure of all the terminology so
may have used the wrong terms when searching. What I am trying to do is
create a worksheet in which a cell shows one of 3 values (LOW,AVERAGE
or HIGH) according to the value in the cell to the left of it, which
itself is the sum of the 2 preceding cells.
To be more specific, cell D6 is Men, E6 is Women and F6
is"=SUM(D6,E6)". I then want G6 to show "LOW" if F6 is less than 5,
"AVERAGE" if it is between 5 and 20, and "HIGH" if it is over 20.
If anyone understands the question and can help, I'd be very grateful.
Thanks in advance.

Use nested IF() functions
   =IF(F6<5,"LOW",IF(F6>20,"HIGH","AVERAGE"))

Jerry

turkishjim@hotmail.com wrote:

> Being a relative Excel newcomer I,m not sure of all the terminology so
> may have used the wrong terms when searching. What I am trying to do is
> create a worksheet in which a cell shows one of 3 values (LOW,AVERAGE
> or HIGH) according to the value in the cell to the left of it, which
> itself is the sum of the 2 preceding cells.
> To be more specific, cell D6 is Men, E6 is Women and F6
> is"=SUM(D6,E6)". I then want G6 to show "LOW" if F6 is less than 5,
> "AVERAGE" if it is between 5 and 20, and "HIGH" if it is over 20.
> If anyone understands the question and can help, I'd be very grateful.
> Thanks in advance.

0
post_a_reply (1395)
8/25/2005 10:14:32 AM
In G6

=IF(F6>=20,"HIGH",IF(F6>=5,"AVERAGE","LOW"))

--

HTH

RP

<turkishjim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Being a relative Excel newcomer I,m not sure of all the terminology so
> may have used the wrong terms when searching. What I am trying to do is
> create a worksheet in which a cell shows one of 3 values (LOW,AVERAGE
> or HIGH) according to the value in the cell to the left of it, which
> itself is the sum of the 2 preceding cells.
> To be more specific, cell D6 is Men, E6 is Women and F6
> is"=SUM(D6,E6)". I then want G6 to show "LOW" if F6 is less than 5,
> "AVERAGE" if it is between 5 and 20, and "HIGH" if it is over 20.
> If anyone understands the question and can help, I'd be very grateful.
> Thanks in advance.

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
8/25/2005 10:18:08 AM
turkishjim@hotmail.com Wrote:
> Being a relative Excel newcomer I,m not sure of all the terminology so
> may have used the wrong terms when searching. What I am trying to d
> is
> create a worksheet in which a cell shows one of 3 values (LOW,AVERAGE
> or HIGH) according to the value in the cell to the left of it, which
> itself is the sum of the 2 preceding cells.
> To be more specific, cell D6 is Men, E6 is Women and F6
> is"=SUM(D6,E6)". I then want G6 to show "LOW" if F6 is less than 5,
> "AVERAGE" if it is between 5 and 20, and "HIGH" if it is over 20.
> If anyone understands the question and can help, I'd be very grateful.
> Thanks in advance.

Hi turkishjim

Assuming your first data is in row 7, then in G6 enter this formula -

=IF(F7<5,"Low",IF(F7>20,"High","Average")), this will return Low if th
result is anything up to 4.99999..............., Average if the resul
is anything from 5 to 20.99999................. and High for anythin
from 21 u

--
Paul Sheppar

Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2478
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39899

Many thanks to both of you: a great help!

Directly asking about Indirect func.
Hi, I have come across the indirect function one or twice in NG's. I read one time about somebody saying that this function has been given a very normal description in the help file and its actual potentialities are much beyond that If possible please give me a link/lead to some website(s) in which the uses of this Indirect function would be discussed thoroughly (with some neat examples if possible), so that I could learn and put to use wherever relevant. Regards, Hari India The principle of the INDIRECT() function is quite simple. It converts text string to a formula. Take a refere...

Find function in a macro
I want to set up a macro that searches a column for a value 'X' and then selects the cell right under the cell that contains 'X'. I have been stumped on this for a few days now and would really really appreciate any sort of help or guidance. Thanks a lot! SK --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Sub Findit() Dim r as Range For Each r in Range("A1:A1000") 'Or whatever yours is If r.Value = "X" Then Range("A" & r.Row+1).Select 'Change A to your column Exit For End If Next End Sub K P.S. You could probably use an...

Outlook 2000 Calendar Find won't work
When I try to use the "Find" command in Outlook 2000 Calendar I get a quick list of results then the screen clears to the "no items found" message. The "Find" command works in all other personal folders. Any idea what the problem is? ...

i want to find microsoft works please help me to find it. i reall.
Hi not really sure what your issue is. Do you need to buy this program? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "TATINI2003US@YAHOO.COM" <TATINI2003US@YAHOO.COM@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:CD92EB68-1B90-4317-9051-2D5C140E9214@microsoft.com... > ...

VBA Question
Hi, I have a form with a combobox control that list some sizes. They are: 12 18 20 22 I have another text box for keying a custom size, such as 12'2". What I would like to do is have the combobox default to the next size (in this case 18). Here's the code I have used so far (it does a little more than what I am asking for but to give an idea): Dim MCUST As String MCUST = Me.custwidth If Str(Me.widthck) <> Me.custwidth Or Len(Me.custwidth) <> Len(Me.widthck) Then Me.widthck.Value = Int(Val(MCUST)) + 1 If InStr(Int(Me.widthck) / 2, ".&...

Find documents containing hyperlinks
Hello, I would like to be able to run a search over multiple documents (i.e., all docs within a folder) to determine which ones contain hyperlinks. I don't need to replace or turn them off; I would only like a list of which docs contain hyperlinks--even if the links are within the same document. Of course, I don't want to have to open the docs. Possible? Many thanks... You could do it by modifying the code in the article "Find & ReplaceAll on a batch of documents in the same folder” at: http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/BatchFR.htm -- Hope ...

I need to download Microsoft Publisher 2000. Where do I find it?
I have Publisher 97 on my computer. I need to up-date to Publisher 2000. I want to eventually up-date to 2003, but right now I need to be able to read a disk that was made in Publisher 2000. Can i download Publisher 2000? ggtdagma wrote: > I have Publisher 97 on my computer. I need to up-date to > Publisher 2000. I want to eventually up-date to 2003, > but right now I need to be able to read a disk that was > made in Publisher 2000. Can i download Publisher 2000? ===================================== It's not about updating...each new version is a stand alone pro...

How do I find duplicates in a list
How do I find duplicates in a list that changes weekly. I want the adjacent column to indicate an error if the column value is duplicated else where in the list. Jim, See www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm for some example code and formulas. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "JimNC" <JimNC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80A7A496-F5D2-4164-944B-A28526889EBE@microsoft.com... > How do I find duplicates in a list that changes weekly. I want > the adjacent > column to indicate a...

can't find updates, error 80070490
I have windows vista 32 bit and can't search for new updates, it keeps showing an error code. I have already searched alot of solutions on this site with no luck. The history of previous installed updates is gone, and it stated that the last update was installed in april 2009. I already tried renaming softwaredistribution but that changed nothing, also installed KB967723 but said it isn't for my system. System update readyness KB947821 didn't change anything either. Tried sfc/scannow but said there was nothing wrong don't have an windows dvd anymore to upgrade ...

Where to find the P.E. for Index?
I know there is P.E. for any company, but does anyone know where to find the P.E. for index? such as Dow Jone, Hang Seng Index. Thanks for any suggestions Eric ...

How can i imput a formula in excel for finding the area of a regu.
Please help! I have come up with a mathematical formula for finding the area of a regular sided polygon with n number of sides but i can't get it to work in excel as its not exactly my strongest aspect of ict! If anyone can help please do! One way: =0.25*A1*(A2^2)*(1/TAN(RADIANS(180/A1))) With the number of sides in A1 and the length of each side in A2. Rona wrote: > > Please help! I have come up with a mathematical formula for finding the area > of a regular sided polygon with n number of sides but i can't get it to work > in excel as its not exactly my stronges...

Can't recieve and keeps asking for username and password?
I have been using windows live mail for the past 3 weeks and before that i was using regular windows mail. All of a sudden it started asking me for my password and username once i add another account. I have 3 accounts on there. Not only does it keep asking for that I can't send messages and don't think i can recieve them. Why is it doing this. I know my password and username but it won't take. I don't know what the deal is. It is the logon box that i never saw before. Can someone help me -- Sharae Schneider Is it an email account prompt or a prompt to sign o...

Can't Find Inbox/Outbox Messages
I have been using Outlook for over 10 years now, but recently decided to access my Yahoo Small Business e-mail through Outlook instead of accessing via internet. I successfully linked my account to outlook, but I am unable to find the location of my e-mails. I know that my messages have been downloaded by Outlook, but I am unable to find them. I also tried sending out a test e-mail to a personal e-mail account and have been unable to locate the Sent or Outbox folder. I have tried creating a new "personal folders" to link to the account, but that has been unsuccessfu...

Help Please! Messages with no To or From and so much info in email can't find message
I have a new computer. I was using the trial version of Outlook 2003 that came with the computer. It has expired and I was trying to use Outlook 2000 that I had installed on my old computer. My incoming mail does not have a To or From showing. When I open the post I can harldly find the message for all the extraneous material (I'm not very computer literate but I suppose this could be the internet header) before and after the message. Thanks, Sherry C ...

Which files and folders from the two solutions must be merged to combine web sites solutions
If I understand what I'm reading on the Internet the only way to combine two website solutions and store them in one folder on a host is to make them into one website solution. And there are certain files and folders in a solution that have predetermined names and there can only be one of them. And that means combining some files from two folders into one folder (like the App_Code files) and combining some data from two files into one file (like web.config) It would be great if I knew which files there can only be one of, as well as which folders there can only be one of....

How do I find the last document I was working on?
Word 2003 - when I open Word the list of documents under the "File" menu shows most often opened documents not most recently opened documents. How can I get it to list most recently opened documents instead? Word 2003 does always show the most recently used documents on the File menu. That's why it's called an MRU list. OTOH, if you choose Recent Documents from the Places Bar, there's no telling what you get. I've never figured out how Word assigns these. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://wor...

Find carriage return character in a cell
Does anyone know how find a row in a worksheet which contains carriage return character (usually a square) in its cell ? I've given you the response below yesterday to your post, re: http://tinyurl.com/2esbm -------- Maybe CHAR(10) ? (carriage return via Alt + Enter) Assume you want to check range A1:C10 in Sheet1 for cells with carriage return In a new Sheet2: Put in A1: =IF(ISERROR(SEARCH(CHAR(10),Sheet1!A1)),"","Yes") Copy A1 across to C1, then down to C10 to cover the same range as in Sheet1 A1:C10 in Sheet2 will return "Yes" for corresponding c...

Looking for Someone to review and make suggestions
Subject pretty much sums it up. Looking for someone to review a workbook and give suggestions as to a more functional format that would be easier to add to etc. If interested please leave email and I will send a copy and hope that you can critic it and offer suggestions or help. Thx Try it the other way around! YOU post your email address and WE'LL contact you. Merry Christmas! >-----Original Message----- >Subject pretty much sums it up. Looking for someone to review a workbook and >give suggestions as to a more functional format that would be easier to add >to ...

Finding state that contains employees biggest sale
I have data like this EMPLOYEE SALE STATE Joe 10.00 PA Joe 20.00 VA Sue 5.00 TX Sue 10.00 WA For each employee, how do I find the state that corresponds to the largest sale. For example, for Joe this would be VA since his largest sale of 20.00 was to VA. -- Richard Sort on sale size and use "TOP n". Look in help for TOP HTH -- -Larry- -- "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D6675662-27DC-4EE4-895A-9B8D7EC991B2@microsoft.com... > > I have data like this > > EMPLOYEE SALE STATE > Joe 10.00 PA > Joe 20....

cannot find file
After Office 2000 re install when double clicking on an Excel document the following error message is displayed: "Cannot find the file C:|Documents and settings\username\My Documents\file name (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available. Any help greatly appreciated John Docherty Hi not sure this will help but try the following: goto 'Tools-Options-General " and uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel 1. Close Excel first...

where can I find my Certificate of Authenticity
I would like to know if I can find my Ceritficate of Authenticity anywhere on my computer being as though I can not find my book nor my CD? I have a feeling you aren't necessarily looking for the COA but the product key. Is that right? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Desperately seeking" <Desperately seeking@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8D3C840-0B39-409C-AD5E-839EB871008B@microsoft.com... >I would like to know if I can find my Ceritficate of Authenticity anywhere >on > my computer being as though I can not find my book n...

Design issue; and finding and displaying row on other workbook
1. An academic course is divided into two sections: lecture and discussion. The lecture section contains all classes, but the discussion classes do not. The discussion section is further divided into three subsections, each containing multiple classes. The need is to coordinate student attendance and grades for all sections. Currently we have 1 lecture section workbook with all student names, IDs, and other info; and 3 discussion section workbooks with the same only for the relevant subsection. And then there is a consolidation workbook where lecture and discussion are put together and attend...

Add a input box to ask for a filename to macro
I am trying to build into a macro I have designed, a prompt for a filename (*.txt) that will then open the file and then prompt and open another text file with a different end. I need to compare the first 7 characters of the names and make sure they match before copying from one to the other and exporting to a third. I have accomplished this with direct filenames and now I need to back it out to ask for the files and do the comparison before proceeding. Can anyone help? I have programmed before, but it has been awhile. Thanks, Debbie Try code like the following: Sub ...

Advanced Find
Does any one know how to get the Address 2 Freight Terms and Shipping Methods picklists to appear in the advanced find field list ? I can get custom fields to appear, but the above fields were used to create 'custom' picklists when V1.2 was being used and now that we have upgraded we cannot search on them. Anne B ...

cannot find "custom property sets"
Running Visio Pro 2002 SP2, I am trying to run the following instruction: "If you have Visio 2002, try these: Tools > Macros > Visio Extras > Apply Custom Property Set Tools > Macros > Visio Extras > Edit Custom Property Sets" Once the macro panel pops up there is no selection or option for VISIO EXTRAS. Do I have to enable it? I find nothing in the "help" about enabling extras... Thanks I thought they were new to v2003.... besides on my system, I get to them via the tools => custom property sets al <rhatcher@titan.com> wrote in message ne...