Some Cells display text others dates in the same column

I imported a .csv file into Excel. One column contains the SKU # of a
product. All my SKU's are formatted as x-xxxx. However some of the cells in
the column display the SKU as it should, but many (45 out of 170) are
displayed as a date format mmm-yy. Each one of the 45 is different. The cells
in question show up as "custom" and when I try to change it to "text" I get a
completey different number than the SKU I need. Somebody please help.

Hi Phil,

Format the entire column manually, choose Format, Cells, Number tab, Custom
and enter #-#### in the Type box and hit OK.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Ragtime Phil" wrote:

> I imported a .csv file into Excel. One column contains the SKU # of a
> product. All my SKU's are formatted as x-xxxx. However some of the cells in
> the column display the SKU as it should, but many (45 out of 170) are
> displayed as a date format mmm-yy. Each one of the 45 is different. The cells
> in question show up as "custom" and when I try to change it to "text" I get a
> completey different number than the SKU I need. Somebody please help.
Hi Shane,

Thank you for repsonse.

I tried this and all I got was 45 cells that showed x-xxxx. The balance of
the cells were unchanged and displayed the actual SKUs.

I know I can do each cell by enetering the proper SKUs but these 45 are just
the start of a product list of over 4000. If the ratio holds true I'd be
dealing with over 1000 cells. Not a task I would look forward to :)

I seem to remeber this problem a number of years ago and somehow I solved
it. I was using Office 2003 at the time. Now I'm on Office 2007. I can't
remember how I did it. I only remember that it was a batch change and the
Dates changed to the actual characters I originally entered.

I also checked the field format of the database (File Maker) that I exported
from and it checks out OK.

Thanks for your help

"Shane Devenshire" wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> Format the entire column manually, choose Format, Cells, Number tab, Custom
> and enter #-#### in the Type box and hit OK.
>
> --
> If this helps, please click the Yes button.
>
> Cheers,
> Shane Devenshire
>

> "Ragtime Phil" wrote:
>
> > I imported a .csv file into Excel. One column contains the SKU # of a
> > product. All my SKU's are formatted as x-xxxx. However some of the cells in
> > the column display the SKU as it should, but many (45 out of 170) are
> > displayed as a date format mmm-yy. Each one of the 45 is different. The cells
> > in question show up as "custom" and when I try to change it to "text" I get a
> > completey different number than the SKU I need. Somebody please help.

Tracking Dates For Future Occurrences
Can this be done? I want to track a yearly review. I would like the date, once entered - say 6/1/2009, to conditionally format to change yellow 30 days before, then red 15 days before, and then to stay red until the date is updated again for say 6/1/2010. Can this be done? I am new to all this, thanks.. In 2007 Also.. "Knee2no" wrote: > Can this be done? I want to track a yearly review. I would like the date, > once entered - say 6/1/2009, to conditionally format to change yellow 30 days > before, then red 15 days before, and then to stay red until the date is...

Hyperlink via indirect cell reference

parsing a date and time field #2

Creating a Combined Date/Time Shortcut
I know Excel provides shortcuts for entering the date (CTRL + ;) and the = time (CTRL + SHIFT + ;), but I really need one that will enter both the = date=20 and time in the same cell at the same time. (Since Excel does provide=20 formatting for same-cell date and time, it seems kind of odd that there = isn't=20 a shortcut to facilitate entry.) Is it possible to create an entirely = new shortcut=20 that doesn't use macros? (This last point is important, since the = workbook is=20 shared on a network.) Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated--I'm getting=20 desperate. T...

Hiding empty rows and columns
Does anyone know the code for hiding all blank rows and columns in a worksheet. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following (adapted from: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm#DeleteBlankRows) Public Sub HideBlankRows() Dim R As Long Dim C As Range Dim Rng As Range On Error GoTo EndMacro Application.ScreenUpdating = False Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual If Selection.Rows.Count > 1 Then Set Rng = Selection Else Set Rng = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows End If For R = Rng.Rows.Count To 1 Step -1 If Application.WorksheetFuncti...

Rename Cell
How can I rename column A to read "bills" instead of the letter A? You can't. The closest you will get is to hide column headings, via Excel Option, and then create your own. -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "shoe" <shoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBA970DF-D928-41EE-9565-4639E7D49BCE@microsoft.com... > How can I rename column A to read "bills" instead of the letter A? you cant change the headers or row labels but you can define you data as a list (or table) and the headings can then be used to refer...

merging 2 cells without losing data?

Create static text from cell reference

Transformation of data into columns

Cell Format #4

Getting contents of adjacent cells

Sumproduct with multiple date criteria
Having a tough time with this one. Sheet 1 Column A = Start Date, Column B = End Date, Column C = Quantity. Sheet 2 Row A = Start Date, Row B = End Date. I would like Row C to sum quantity from sheet 1 where ever the two date ranges intersect. The date ranges on sheet 2 represent the beginning and ending of a week (Mon-Sun). Sheet 1 Column A Column B Column C 01JAN2010 24JAN2010 1,000 Sheet 2 Row A 04JAN2010 11JAN2010 18JAN2010 25JAN2010 Row B 10JAN2010 17JAN2010 24JAN2010 31JAN2010 Row c 1,000 1,000 1,000 0 Do the Sheet 2 Star...

Text Very Small When Replying
I'm able to change the text size when I'm replying to an email but how does one set the default size? No matter what I ser the font size to when replying it always reverts back to the smallest size when I do another reply. Look, I'm 54! I can't read that small text! James Are you using stationery? Also, Alt + T, Options, Compose,....... -- Ron Sommer MS MVP-Mail "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunne0r.com> wrote in message news:OGt2E1OhKHA.1460@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > I'm able to change the text size when I'm replying to an emai...

Extract text from field
If you have a filed that contatins the following data:LastName, FirstNameWhere LastName has varing lengths. Can you run an update query to obtain just the LastName part of the field? If so, what would be the command?Many, many thanks in advance. On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 14:09:45 -0500, "Mary M" <none@no_email.com> wrote:>If you have a filed that contatins the following data:>>LastName, FirstName>>Where LastName has varing lengths. Can you run an update query to obtain >just the LastName part of the field? If so, what would be the command?>>Many, many thanks in...

cell selection gone crazy on Excel 2003

Is there a way to sort a column without invoking a macro?
I am trying to get a feel for some probabilistic properties. For example, I am trying to look at the statistics of the intervals between randomly occurring pulses. I have no problem getting a column of uniformly distributed pulse times, but they are unsorted, Every time I recalculate with cmd-=, I get a new unsorted set of pulse times because of the use of the RAND function. Is there a way of taking this unsorted column and pasting it into another colun that would be sorted without invoking a macro? To simplify and be more specific consider the following. 1. In A1:A100 I have a set...

Average of logic cells
I used a logic test to determine some levels from raw scores. For EG >120 =5, 119-110 = 4, etc. I now want to dtermine an average score of several of the the results from the logic tests but it doesnt seem to work. (AVG does not recognise cells with logic tests) Can anyone help, please? -- ckdkvk ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ckdkvk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29245 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=489704 hi, ckdkvk ! > I used a logic test to determine so...