Small problem or big problem? No workbook at startup

I have been trying, rather unsuccessfully, to write an Excel macro.  At
times it seemed the memory had been corrupted, or at least that Excel was
behaving oddly.  I shut the computer down, let the hard drive come to a
complete stop, and booted back up.  Upon entering excel, there is no
workbook present.  If I select File|New, I get the familiar "Book1".

Is it possible that I screwed up a setting somewhere and there is a menu
choice to fix this?  Is this a problem anyone here has faced?
Thanks

If it's an actual hardware problem, then I don't think you can fix it in excel!

But if it's excel that's causing the crash, some versions (xl2k and up) allow
you to do a "detect and repair".  This option is under Help inside excel.

Maybe you could reinstall if you're using xl97.

And the first version with a builtin autorecovery option is xl2002.  If you have
it enabled, then ever few minutes (user selectable), a copy of the workbook gets
saved.

If excel/windows crashes, then the next time you open excel, it'll notice this
saved copy and offer to open it.

You can get the same effect with Jan Karel Pieterse's addin:
Look for AutoSafe at:
http://www.bmsltd.co.uk/mvp

But I guess my real suggestion is to save more often--just in case!

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> If it's an actual hardware problem, then I don't think you can fix it in
excel!

> But if it's excel that's causing the crash, some versions (xl2k and up)
allow
> you to do a "detect and repair".  This option is under Help inside excel.
>
> Maybe you could reinstall if you're using xl97.

I have tried reinstalling in with the "detect and repair" option, and then
rebooting.  I still do not have a workbook open when Excel starts.  Other
than that, it seems to behave normally.  I cannot detect any option to avoid
opening a new book at startup.  I find this baffling, but plan to do some
research.  In the meantime, thanks for the link to the Excel MVP Page.

You could try this.........

Go to Start>Settings>Folder>Options>File Types.  Scroll down to MS Excel
Worksheet.  Then if running Win98 OS Edit> select "Open" and Edit.

If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced">Open>Edit.

In Command line the path might be similar to this....

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\EXCEL.EXE" /e

DELETE the <sp>/e if you want Book1 to open.

You must have the double quotes.

Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

Gord Dibben   XL2002

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 17:08:13 GMT, "Colleyville Alan"
<aecharbonneau@nospam.comcast.net> wrote:

>"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
>> If it's an actual hardware problem, then I don't think you can fix it in
>excel!
>>
>> But if it's excel that's causing the crash, some versions (xl2k and up)
>allow
>> you to do a "detect and repair".  This option is under Help inside excel.
>>
>> Maybe you could reinstall if you're using xl97.
>
>I have tried reinstalling in with the "detect and repair" option, and then
>rebooting.  I still do not have a workbook open when Excel starts.  Other
>than that, it seems to behave normally.  I cannot detect any option to avoid
>opening a new book at startup.  I find this baffling, but plan to do some
>research.  In the meantime, thanks for the link to the Excel MVP Page.

0
Gord
11/22/2003 7:48:05 PM
<Gord Dibben> wrote in message
> You could try this.........
>
> Go to Start>Settings>Folder>Options>File Types.  Scroll down to MS Excel
> Worksheet.  Then if running Win98 OS Edit> select "Open" and Edit.
>
> If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced">Open>Edit.
>
> In Command line the path might be similar to this....
>
> "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\EXCEL.EXE" /e
>
> DELETE the <sp>/e if you want Book1 to open.
>
> You must have the double quotes.
>
> Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message
box....[open("%1")]

> Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)
>
> Gord Dibben   XL2002

I'll save this post since it might come in handy.  For now, I found I was
missing my Personal.XLS in the startup folder.  Don't know how it happened,
but when I restored it from a backup directory, the app works fine.

What Personal.xls has to do with Book1 opening is a mystery to me.

But, glad to see you're fixed up.

Gord

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:36:45 GMT, "Colleyville Alan"
<aecharbonneau@nospam.comcast.net> wrote:

><Gord Dibben> wrote in message
>> You could try this.........
>>
>> Go to Start>Settings>Folder>Options>File Types.  Scroll down to MS Excel
>> Worksheet.  Then if running Win98 OS Edit> select "Open" and Edit.
>>
>> If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced">Open>Edit.
>>
>> In Command line the path might be similar to this....
>>
>> "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\EXCEL.EXE" /e
>>
>> DELETE the <sp>/e if you want Book1 to open.
>>
>> You must have the double quotes.
>>
>> Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message
>box....[open("%1")]
>>
>> Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)
>>
>> Gord Dibben   XL2002
>
>I'll save this post since it might come in handy.  For now, I found I was
>missing my Personal.XLS in the startup folder.  Don't know how it happened,
>but when I restored it from a backup directory, the app works fine.

0
Gord
11/22/2003 11:05:07 PM
> What Personal.xls has to do with Book1 opening is a mystery to me.
>
> But, glad to see you're fixed up.

A mystery to me as well.  But once it was restored, we were back in
business.  Maybe it is coincidence - computer types are famous for
superstitious behavior ("..I reboot, then light 3 incense sticks while
whistling the first 3 bars of "Ode to Bill Gates"...)