Simple Search and Replace Question

Hi.  I am searching and replacing various characters in an Excel column.  I
need to delete all the asterisks (*) in this column.  How do I do this?  That
is, how do I make Excel "think" the asterisk is NOT a wildcard characteer but
a real character that I want to get rid of?
0
Rebecca (144)

Rebecca wrote:
> Hi.  I am searching and replacing various characters in an Excel column.  I
> need to delete all the asterisks (*) in this column.  How do I do this?  That
> is, how do I make Excel "think" the asterisk is NOT a wildcard characteer but
> a real character that I want to get rid of?

Find What: ~*

instead of just: *
0
akyurek (248)
4/3/2005 2:30:01 PM
Rebecca

Prefix with a single tilde (~) so you will have ~* to find the *

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Rebecca" <Rebecca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi.  I am searching and replacing various characters in an Excel column.
> need to delete all the asterisks (*) in this column.  How do I do this?
> That
> is, how do I make Excel "think" the asterisk is NOT a wildcard characteer
> but
> a real character that I want to get rid of?

simple macro to copy a sheet, object undefined error
I'm still having trouble with objects, but i can't figure out which one. Sub CopySheet() Dim wb As Workbook Set wb = ThisWorkbook wb.Sheets(2).Copy Type:=xlWorksheet, after:=Sheets(2) End Sub tnx, How about: Option Explicit Sub CopySheet() Dim wb As Workbook Set wb = ThisWorkbook wb.Sheets(2).Copy after:=wb.Sheets(2) End Sub Excel-General wrote: > > I'm still having trouble with objects, but i can't figure out which > one. > > Sub CopySheet() > Dim wb As Workbook > Set wb = ThisWorkbook > > wb.Sheets(2).Copy Type:=xlWorksheet, after:=...

our own exchange replacement
Hi, We want to do a development project where we replace part of EXCHANGE. That is, when outlook calendar tries to talk to EXCHANGE, we want it to talk to our software instead. Where would I look for either software libraries or protocol definitions that show what stubs, entries, ports etc. we need to provide. Thanks for any pointers. /Eric EricOsman@rcn.com ...

condional formating count question
Hi, I have a row in which I have a condition that if two numbers are identical its formating the 2nd number in Red Font, Is there a way or formula that I can use to count these red font Numbers? Thanks in advance for you help, It is best to use the same means in a formula that you used to make the font RED in the first place rather than trying to use a function to check the color of a cell. You can take a look at Chip Pearson's page, Functions For Working With Cell Colors http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm for counting cells in a range with involving normal cell coloring for ...

Search between two dates
Hi everyone I've got information in a SQL Server Database. I'm viewing the data using MS Excel, e.g Data, Get External Data, Create New Query (on the toolbar). Now using the wizard I have got to Microsoft Query. What I want the system to do is..... When I open the spreadsheet a pop up box appears where the user types in the FROM date, then a second pop up box appears where the user types in the TO date. The values that are shown on the spreadsheet are the values between the two dates (including the FROM and TO dates). Is this quite easy? Thanks for any help David -- David4...

Error searching an additional mailbox
Greetings, I have several users, who, in addition to their own mailbox, mount a second mailbox for storage of certain emails. Recently, several of these users have tried to do searchs on one of the folders in that mailbox and receive a dialog box stating There are too many Find Public Folders dialogs open. You must close them in order to use the Advanced Find. Do you want to close them now? These are all Outlook 2002 users running against an Exchane 5.5 server. Anyone seen this problem before? K ...

Search and display a value from a XMLDOCUMENT
Hi I have the following XMLDOCUMENT loaded in memory: <Datos_de_INGC011_CAT_INDICADORECONOMIC> <INGC011_CAT_INDICADORECONOMIC> <COD_INDICADORINTERNO>317</COD_INDICADORINTERNO> <DES_FECHA>2010-06-28T00:00:00-06:00</DES_FECHA> <NUM_VALOR>517.51000000</NUM_VALOR> </INGC011_CAT_INDICADORECONOMIC> </Datos_de_INGC011_CAT_INDICADORECONOMIC> And I need to retreive the value in <NUM_VALOR>, I had tried of many ways, but I can´t do it, Please somebody h...

basic question....create array
I searching the web to find how to create an array of any type from .net. I found this way: $nelement= 20 $array = new-object SomeType[] $nelement I know that $nelements is the number of elements in the array but.....when I read Get-help about_arrays I don't find any reference to that argument.......where is the documentation for that way of array creation? the only way that I found in the help is [SomType[]] $array = (element1,element2,...$elementN) but for that I need the elements already, and I don't have it..........I just need and empty array of some type. -- Mi...

Is there a replacement of Excell Vlookup function in Access?
I am convirting excell spread sheet with formula's to Access database and I run into this question how to imitate Vlookup function in Excell. For example in my excell file that I am trying to convirt to access I have a value of "1" in cell A1 and column BL2 has a value of "1", column BM2 has a value of "1 to 4". My excell function populates cell A2=VLOOKUP(A1,BL2:BM2,2) It looks at the value of "1" and if it's within the range of "1 to 4" it puts "1 to 4" into cell A2. How do I do this in Access? Is there another way of...

xsltransform replaces "<" with entities
Hello NG! Within a xsl-stylesheet I have an element <xsl:text><![CDATA[...<br>...]]></xsl:text> If I use that stylesheet to transform some xml-data (to html) with .... pOut = New System.IO.StringWriter pXslt.Load(strStylesheetFile) pXslt.Transform(pXPathNav, Nothing, pOut, Nothing) .... then in the result-document the brackets are replaced with the html-entities, so I get ....&lt;br&gt... But I need the brackets, so that it is a html-tag!!! What do I have to write into my xsl-stylesheet or is there a special option for the xsltransform I have to set? Th...

I'm looking for a way to search for any sent messages that are over 90 days of age. I'm able to manually create the criteria: Search in: 'Sent Items', where item is 'Sent on or before' and a manually entered date but can't seem to find a automatic way for the 'Value'. Online help gives no reference on how to create a condition of 'Over xx Days'. ...

search and insert

search public folders
We have exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003 and 2007. Our public folders have over 1000 documents, public contacts, etc/ Is there a way - builtin or 3rd party - to do a search so all materials - documents, contacts, etc - that match will show up? The current serach in Outlook doesnt seem to work with public folders. thanks, Raul Rego Do you mean searching across multiple public folders in one search? That's not supported by the store provider for public folders. To search like that Outlook must create a temporary search folder. PST files and Exchange mailboxes support search folder...

NNTP Feed Question
Hello all, In EX2003 can you send an entire feed into its own virtual directory. I want to mirror a private news server from one of our user groups but I dont want them mixed in with the rest of the folders in 'Internet Newgroups'. Unfortunatly the groups are not named with a common hierarchy like 'microsoft.public.*' they have single word names instead. Would I have to create a seperate virtual directory for each group? Thanks, Brent Strignano ...

Sum Product Question
I have a spreadsheet with the following columns. Business Group (1, 2, 3) Employee Status (ACTIVE, TERM) Performance Score (1 through 9) Potential Score (1 through 4) I need to figure out the average performance and potential scores fo every cominbation of Business Group and Status. What is the simplest way using SUMPRODUCT to do this? I know will nee mulitple formulas to get this done but I am at a loss particualry ho to count the scores up for a total as some of the data is missing and don't want to count ones where data is missing. Thanks, Ada -- Message posted from http://www....

Preventing auto-formatting when Replacing
Say I have a cell that contains LED2/14 The cell is formatted as Text. If I use Ctrl-H to replace LED with nothing, Excel insists on reformatting the remaining 2/14 as a date (i.e. 14-Feb). Is there any way to prevent this infuriating behavior? Thanks, Frank How about: Edit|Replace LED with ' (apostrophe) Frank Marousek wrote: > > Say I have a cell that contains > > LED2/14 > > The cell is formatted as Text. > > If I use Ctrl-H to replace LED with nothing, Excel insists on reformatting > the remaining 2/14 as a date (i.e. 14-Feb). Is there any way to...

add beginning of previous month to smartlist search
In most or all report options screens that ask for a date, there is an option for "beginning/end of previous month/period". Please add that to the list of available date options in SmartList's search filters. There is currently a "beginning/end of month/period", but no way to automatically refer to the previous month. Thanks. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, f...

Trendline Question
Hello, I have a chart from a simple data set that plots a new point each day. It's my blood p vs date. I also have it show on the chart a "Trendline" linear fit, which I guess is the rms of the data points. Works just fine. Question: Is it possible to have the Trendlinebe computed for, and show on the chart for, Only a particular range of dates in the data, rather than the for the whole data set ? e.g., if my data goes from Sept, 2006 to the present, can i just have the Trendline show for the Jan 2007 to the present data points ? How, please ? Thanks, Bob Hi, Ye...

not really a MFC question
Hi, maybe not the best thread to post but here is my question : I am trying to compile a light version of STL called ustl on win32 but I get the following errors : 1>c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\ustl\cmemlink.h(61) : error C2535: 'void ustl::cmemlink::link(const void *,ustl::cmemlink::size_type)' : member function already defined or declared 1> c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\ustl\cmemlink.h(60) : see declaration of 'ustl::cmemlink::link' When i look at source code I find : void link (const void* p, siz...

Simple date entry WAY off
Entering today's date as "013006" in a blank cell/new workbook, an changing formatting to ANY type, returns crazy date of "8/10/1935"? All PCs across our company appear to be doing this "all of sudden." Date/regional settings are all normal still. Only recent change was a update to ASAP Utilities, but I can't see how that would affect thing since it's just a plugin. Thoughts/suggestions? Thanks -- ulinetek ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ulineteks's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=g...

simple xss question
Hello, One thing I dont understand about XSS: 1.There is a page with a text box 2. I inject some Javascript into that textbox that shows a form in a new div that can send content somewhere. Am I not the only one that sees this form? What good is it if the next person that goes to the website just sees the page sent from the server correctly? Thanks Its usually more of a problem when they get access to your filesystem or database ... As i've found out the hard way On 16/02/2010 14:51, in article 49e2f337-0f2c-46f1-87d4-b58b1275ef40@f17g2000prh.googlegroups.com, "...

Question Regarding Excel 2007 Formatting Corruption

Replacing Exchange 2003 Hardware
Gang: I am about to embark on a project to replace my old dual P2 Exchange 2003 server with a new dual xeon Exchange 2003 server. I want to keep the same computer name, and I am in a single server environment, so I want to follow the instructions here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822945&Product=exch2003 I have a few questions, though, that hopefully someone will be able to answer. 1) The new server is Windows 2003 Enterprise (8 GB RAM) and the old one is Windows 203 Standard (1 GB RAM). Does this matter? The instructions say the OS has to be the same, and...

Question Re: Migration of Exchange to New Server.
I'm in the process of replacing an aging Exchange server with a brand new server. Once complete the old server will be taken off line and recycled. I figure the easiest way to do this is bring the new server up as a second Exchange server within the domain and then move the mail boxes from the old server to the new server but I have a couple of questions. 1) How do I move the public folders? I'm assuming I can setup Replication between the two servers and that will migrate the public folder data. 2) What happens when the current server goes off line? Other then having to upd...

DoModal() question.
I have a dialog class dlg. When I use dlg.DoModal(), there're always two buttons "Cancel" and "Ok" on popup window which I didn't put there. They seem to be put there by system default. How to remove them? Thanks. Frank E Rogers wrote: > I have a dialog class dlg. When I use dlg.DoModal(), there're always two > buttons "Cancel" and "Ok" on popup window which I didn't put there. They > seem to be put there by system default. How to remove them? > Thanks. > > First, you better add message handlers for them. Your ha...

searching for tab
Hi all, I have written a workbook with some 40 worksheets in it to be used as a reference database. Each of the 40 worksheets has a specific name (tab). Is there a program/formula that I can put on the very first page so that a user can input the name of the sheet/tab they want and that sheet will open for them. Basically to stop them having to sift through 40 tabs to find which sheet they need. Thanks Kev -- Kevin R ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Kevin R's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30529 View this ...