Simple Excel Macros run slowly - all versions

I have an Excel Workbook that has several simple view and
print macros that are suddenly (in the last week) running
very slowly.  Previously there was no delay when using
the button, now it takes a minute plus to change views or
generate the print job

By simple - sample code

    ActiveWorkbook.CustomViews("BegBal").Show

The views can be called manually with no problems, and I
can manually move around in the Workbook with no problems
(switching tabs, triggering print jobs, switching views
by name)

This problem has effected all copies of the Workbook in
Excel 2000, 2002, and 2003 (on Windows 2000/XP) including
the original master template with no data.  I have copied
the file to a local hard drive to rule out network issues
and attempted it on several computers.  Excel is not
using significant resources during the process.

I have turned off automatic calculations and minimized
iterations as troubleshooting steps.  These changes did
not help.

Once the macro has run once, it will run quickly again as
long as you don't close the workbook (everytime you open
the workbook the macros start out running slowly).

The only common thread I can identify is that all the
machines were patched last week with the latest security
updates from Microsoft.  I am going to unpatch a machine
and try that next.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Merc
0
mercclem (1)

Problem solved.  Broken Reference.

0
anonymous (74722)

Help with Excel
I have windows xp on my new computer and it don't support excel, i have file on my old computer with excel how can i get excel to work with my xp version You will need to put Excel on your new machine - it is NOT part of Windows. If you have the Excel or MS Office disk from the old machine you can use that to install the applications on the new PC. Of course, once you have it running you must uninstall the apps for the old PC. You can install Excel 97, Excel 2000, Excel 2002 or Excel 2003 on the new PC. If you do not have the disks then you are in for a shopping spree. Best wishes Berna...

If I want to buid a simple database for customer details, should I use Excel or Access?
I want to buid up a database for store detailed information of customers. The key words would be contained Customer's name, contact, visited time, email address links ( That can be easily used for sending emails). I wonder which program is better, Excel or Access? I am thinking that Excel is more common to use. And If I set up Excel, its data can be imported to Access. There are two clues here. The first is "database" - Access is the database application. The second is that, in spite of that, you fancy Excel, probably because you are more comfortable with Excel. It is yo...

Filter Switches vs Macro?
Excel 2000 ... I have Filter Switches which I activate with various recorded Macros (1 Filter Switch per Macro) ... this is working fine as long as there is not a Filter Switch already activated. Above said ... I need a little Macro instruction I can paste into my recorded Macros that will set any activated Filter Switches back to ALL before activating the Filter Switch I am calling for??? This so I do not get multiple Filter Switches activated by my Macros ... Thanks ... Kha Selection.AutoFilter resets all filters HTH, Gary Brown "Ken" wrote: > Excel 2000 ... I ...

Excel and Windows Live Mail
Hi all I update my Mail add-in and VBA code examples to avoid the error if you use Windows Live Mail as your default mail program. More information in the blog post : http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/archives/2010/04/25/windows-live-mail-wlm-and-excel-problem-part-two/ If you have problems let me know so I can update the code/add-in if needed Thanks -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm ...

ODBC server changed
Hi I have some Excel 97 files that used to pull in data from a Unix box using an ODBC driver (U/SQL from Transoft). We have upgraded to a new server which has a different IP address and now the embedded queries have stopped working. Is there any way to change the data source in the Excel 97 file? I noticed by opening the file with a text editor that the old IP address is buried in there but I can't change it as it corrupts the file. The query was created with Data > Get External Data > Create New Query. It has not been saved as a separate MS Query file. If I do manage to edi...

Linking to Another Excel File (File Name Changes)
Hi, I have 2 separate Excel file worksheets. Basically, one file is updated each month and will have a different name (example: File052007 for May, File062007 for June, File072007 for July, etc.). Currently, I'm trying to link cells in my other file to the updated file, but I don't know how to set the link so that it can change each month. I was trying the concatenate or (A1&A2&A3) options to try to link cells together, but haven't had much luck. Here is what the formula should look like: ='C:\FOLDER\[File052007.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1 I made 2 cells in this worksheet ...

Excel charts won't appear or preview. Help!
Hello, In Excell 2003 I cannot get my charts or graphs to appear or preview. I was able too at first. But I accidentally hit right click and then clear several times after having created template line chart for the first time. This subsequently one at a time removed different aspects of my chart until my chart was gone. And now i cannot get the charts to appear again. Not even a preview. Thank you in advance foe your help and advice. This problim has been solved. Thank you. ...

Adding and subtracting hours in Excel 2000 worksheet
I'm having some success with the addition part but not with the subtracting part! I have an Excel spreadsheet that is used to keep track of time worked by staff on a weekly basis and I need to keep track of the overtime worked. For example, one staff member has worked 40 hours, 54 minutes and 25 seconds in a week (displayed in a cell as 40:54:25 with the cell formatted as Category: --> Time and Type:--> 37:30:55). I then went to subtract 40 hours from the total hours worked to get the overtime displayed and thats where I'm having the problem. I tried the format of "=F9 -...

macro needs info on currently highlighted message in search folder
I created a search folder, "Messages Sent Or Received Prior To 2008) by using the Advanced Search and creating a query. The list of messages is shown, including just the lowest level folder name. I can navigate through the messages, and I'd like write a macro to show the full folder path of the currently selected (not opened) message, because I have many dozens of folders and they're not all named uniquely at the lowest level. Can this be done? Thanks tbone Show it where? Outlook version? -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Program...

Help with what should be a simple formula..
Hi guys! I'm blanking out on how to write this simple formula, and honestly, not sure how to search the forum for help with this particular one. I'm trying to find profit margins basically. I want to break down profits into 1 Hr, 2 Hrs 8 hrs, etc.. for example, I the time it takes to produce item#1...say 10 Minutes.. In the 1 hr box want to figure out the profit based on 60 minutes of work.. My table looks like this.. A1=Item#1; B1=Cost to make Item; C1=Selling Price; D1=Time to make Item; E1=60 Minute profit; E2=120 Minute Profie.etc.tec.etc. A2=Item#2................................

Microsoft Excel #2
Why can't I close my Excel application by clicking the x button in the upper right hand corner of the application. This is Excel 2002. Is there a way to do this? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Seum Is the "x" button grayed out and unavailable? Are using using Groupwise? If that's the problem. See this MSKB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260199 Article is specific for 2000 but I think it is valid for other versions. It gives a workaround (use the file menu) and instructions as to how to remove the Groupwise add-i...

table of contents in excel
Does anybody know how to create a dynamic table of contents in Excel (similar to Words TOC). Or alternatively how to insert the current page number into a cell so that it can be cross-referenced. Thanks Nick Hi Nick, See David McRitchies TOC page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm --- Regards, Norman "nickH" <nickH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28FEEDC1-6091-4FC4-BD5C-5CE2A6116A5E@microsoft.com... > Does anybody know how to create a dynamic table of contents in Excel > (similar > to Words TOC). Or alternatively ho...

excell formula needed
Hi, In Excell, I'm trying to match a cell (eg H21,with a num value (eg 2530) to a column of figures (M34:M99) that has one match in it and produce a grading A, B, C, D from a column (N34:N99). Anyone have any ideas? Rob. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ =Vlookup(H21,$M$34:$N$99,2,false) Bernard "terrificRob" <terrificRob.uixfy@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:terrificRob.uixfy@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi, > In Ex...

opening excel document with shell as read only
Hello, I am presently using access to open an excel file by using the shell command. Is it possible by some command e.g. \readonly to open the excel file as read only? Cheers If you're automating excel from another program, you may be able to just create an instance of excel and open your workbook readonly: This worked for me from MSWord: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim myXL As Object On Error Resume Next Set myXL = GetObject(, "Excel.Application") If Err.Number = 429 Then Set myXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application") End If On Error GoTo 0 myXL.Visible =...

Scroll Bars Do Not Appear in Excel XP
One of our Office XP for Small Business users (running Win XP Pro SP 2) is no longer able to see the horizontal scroll bar in any of his Excel files -- files that used to display correctly a few days ago. He also can no longer see the three colored buttons in the top right of the screen (for Minimize, Zoom, Close). The scroll bars are set to display in the Prefs and we haven't changed any settings on our monitor -- any idea what we should do? Are the windows just not maximized? Try double clicking on the title bar at the top of the file and see if it snaps back into place. Lee &g...

No macros in 2008

Error reassigning leads following upgrade to version 4
Hi, We are experiencing an issue when trying to reassign a lead to another user. Whenever we do we get the following error : CrmException: More than one user queue was found for the given object.] at Microsoft.Crm.CrmException.Assert(Boolean condition, String message) at Microsoft.Crm.ObjectModel.QueueServiceInternal`1.GetUserQueueWithObject(BusinessEntityMoniker moniker, Guid userId, ExecutionContext context) at Microsoft.Crm.ObjectModel.QueueItemService.RouteToUser(BusinessEntityMoniker objectMoniker, Guid userIdOfCurrentObjectOwner, Guid primaryUserIdOfQueueToRouteTo, Execut...

Macro Not Loading XLSART excel
I have created a macro and placed into the xlstart folder and the macro will load at first. At some point, the macro stops loading, yet the macro is still in the xlstart folder. Any thoughts? S Macros don't load from the XLSTART folder. Workbooks load from the XLSTART folder. The macro must be in workbook. Is your macro stored in a file named Personal.xls or in another workbook? Is the macro in a general module or Thisworkbook module or Worksheet module. Show us your macro code. More information please. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 10 May 2004 15:05:49 -0700, "S Crowel...

Getting data from Access to Excel?
How would you go about pulling data from Access database into Excel? (Like weekly reports) Troy, Data|Get External Data|New Database Query Select MS Access Database The Wizard should take you through the remaining steps of selecting the data you want to import and the criteria (if any) that you wish to use. PC "Troy" <corptkm@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:nLDXa.3726$Jk5.3138269@feed2.centurytel.net... > How would you go about pulling data from Access database into Excel? (Like > weekly reports) > > You can also push-it-out of Access to Excel by (While...

still can't use Entourage, PowerPoint, Excel
I posted here several weeks ago and this problem couldn't be resolved then -- not entirely, anyway. I'm trying again because I haven't been able to find anything more anywhere else, and there WAS one thing I did right that I would like to duplicate -- plus, I'm pretty sure I can pinpoint when this problem started. When it started, I'm fairly certain, was when I downloaded the last Software Update of Office for Mac. This had to have been right around April 18, because I remember having downloaded the update late at night while I was working on something else, then rather th...

replacement for favorites command in Excel 2007
In excel 2003 there was available web toolbar with favorites command. That allowed quickly to find files. For some reason web toolbar is not available in excel 2007. Is there any alternative for the favorites command or is this possibility of saving files locations just disappeared? Hi Kv, > In excel 2003 there was available web toolbar with favorites command. That > allowed quickly to find files. For some reason web toolbar is not available > in excel 2007. Is there any alternative for the favorites command or is this > possibility of saving files locations just d...

Arabic/Farsi in Office 2004 (Word and Excel)
How do you setup Word 2004 and Excel 2004 to type right to left in arabic or farsi. I have enabled Farsi and arabic in the international pane of the System Preferences and I am able to type perfectly ok in TextEdit. However when I type Arabic or Farsi in Word 2004 the characters appear but they do not connect to one another as they do in TextEdit. Any ideas on how to fix this?? You can not type right to left in Office:Mac yet. This is certainly something to expect from the next version of Office:Mac... With Office:2004 dating from mid 2004, I can expect that the next Office might come out ...

How to open Excel docs default with Excel 2007?
I had Office 2003 installed, then installed Office 2007 as well. The system was automatically configured then to open all Excel files (2003 or 2007) in Excel 2007. However, here at work they just did some Office 2003 update, and now XLS files are opening with Office 2003. If I go into Windows explorer and to file types and find XLS, when I browse to the office 12 directory and select EXCEL.EXE as the file used to open, it simply selects the "Microsoft Excel" that's already in the "Recommended Programs" section (at the top) of the "Which program to open the file wi...

How to run a macro by opening a file?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to run a macro when I open a file? For example, I would like to run a specific macro within file.xls, if current time is between 9 am and 10 am, otherwise, don't run this macro. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it? I am using XP with SP3 and Office 2003. Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric hi something like this might work........ Private Sub Workbook_Open() If Time > "9:00 AM" And Time < "10:00 AM" Then call ASpecificMacro Else MsgBox "current time out of range. terminati...

Simple Hack to get $500 to your home
Simple hack to get $500 to your home at http://ukfullenjoy.co.cc Due to high security risks,i have hidden the cheque link in an image. in that website on left side below search box, click on image and enter your name and address where you want to receive your cheque.please dont tell to anyone. ...