Showing the percentage of a total in Excel

I would like to add a percentage to a figure but wish to show the amount
added rather than the total.

For example:
$1000.00 + 25% = $250.00

At the moment I can only get the formula to show:
$1000.00 + 25% = $1250.00

Any help would be much appreciated!
0
jakeyboy (3)

So, how about =A1*.25?
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"jakeyboy" <jakeyboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I would like to add a percentage to a figure but wish to show the amount
> added rather than the total.
>
> For example:
> $1000.00 + 25% = $250.00
>
> At the moment I can only get the formula to show:
> $1000.00 + 25% = $1250.00
>
> Any help would be much appreciated!

0
ng1 (1444)
7/13/2005 11:38:59 AM
Thanks for your reply Anne but I forgot to mention that the percentage will
constantly differ.

I currently have the formula
=A2*(1+B2)
Increase number in cell A2 by the percent in B2

The figure in B2 will be entered manually, on one occasion it could be 25%
on another it could be 9%

The above formula shows the total amount once the percentage has been added
to the number. I would like to show the amount added rather than the total.

"Anne Troy" wrote:

> So, how about =A1*.25?
> *******************
> ~Anne Troy
>
> www.OfficeArticles.com
>

> "jakeyboy" <jakeyboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I would like to add a percentage to a figure but wish to show the amount
> > added rather than the total.
> >
> > For example:
> > $1000.00 + 25% = $250.00
> >
> > At the moment I can only get the formula to show:
> > $1000.00 + 25% = $1250.00
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated!

0
jakeyboy (3)
7/13/2005 11:59:01 AM
Just take the 1+ out of there.
=A2*B2
:)
*******************

> Thanks for your reply Anne but I forgot to mention that the percentage
will
> constantly differ.
>
> I currently have the formula
> =A2*(1+B2)
> Increase number in cell A2 by the percent in B2
>
> The figure in B2 will be entered manually, on one occasion it could be 25%
> on another it could be 9%
>
> The above formula shows the total amount once the percentage has been
added
> to the number. I would like to show the amount added rather than the
total.

> "Anne Troy" wrote:
>
> > So, how about =A1*.25?
> > *******************
> > ~Anne Troy
> >
> > www.OfficeArticles.com
> >

> > "jakeyboy" <jakeyboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I would like to add a percentage to a figure but wish to show the
amount
> > > added rather than the total.
> > >
> > > For example:
> > > $1000.00 + 25% = $250.00
> > >
> > > At the moment I can only get the formula to show:
> > > $1000.00 + 25% = $1250.00
> > >
> > > Any help would be much appreciated!

0
ng1 (1444)
7/13/2005 12:06:23 PM
Thats the one!  Thank you very much for your help Anne.

"Anne Troy" wrote:

> Just take the 1+ out of there.
> =A2*B2
> :)
> *******************
> ~Anne Troy
>
> www.OfficeArticles.com
>

> "jakeyboy" <jakeyboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your reply Anne but I forgot to mention that the percentage
> will
> > constantly differ.
> >
> > I currently have the formula
> > =A2*(1+B2)
> > Increase number in cell A2 by the percent in B2
> >
> > The figure in B2 will be entered manually, on one occasion it could be 25%
> > on another it could be 9%
> >
> > The above formula shows the total amount once the percentage has been
> added
> > to the number. I would like to show the amount added rather than the
> total.
> >
> > "Anne Troy" wrote:
> >
> > > So, how about =A1*.25?
> > > *******************
> > > ~Anne Troy
> > >
> > > www.OfficeArticles.com
> > >

> > > "jakeyboy" <jakeyboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> amount

0
jakeyboy (3)

Count fields and show names
Hello all, I have an excel spreadsheet that has 5 fields (cells-HIP, WAIST, ARM, LEGS, HEAD) each with a value of 1 or 0 (True or False) I need a formua to count the 5 fields and if there are 3/5 that are 1 (True) then fill a new cell (Total) with 1(True), if there are less than 3 fields, then False (0). But would it also be possible to show which fields, along with the value of 1 or 0, were true and which were false? For example, 3/5 fields--->True False HIP, WAIST, HEAD ARMS, LEGS Thanks a million for you time! Hi slagg - the first part is simple in the tot...

Percentage calculation on text columns
I have a sheet that represents exam candidates, their grades over 3 assignments with an average score, in the final COLUMN there is an indication of whether they have passed or failed in the format "Pass" "Fail". I need a formula that will count the overall group and give a percentage of the group that has failed. Can anyone help? -- Connor ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Connor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27970 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=4...

a sample question about excel VBA
How can I make msgbox like this? �� there are X sheets of this workbook the first page name is : Sheets(1).Name the secod page name is : Sheets(2).Name �� until to the last page the X page mane is : Sheets(X).Name How can I write this module? Sub WorksheetNames() Dim i As Long Dim strAnswer As String strAnswer = _ "There are " & Worksheets.Count & _ " sheets of this workbook" For i = 1 To Worksheets.Count strAnswer = strAnswer & vbCr & _ "Sheet " & i & " : " & _...

Excel Menus Greyed out
This only happens in Excel XP and a re-install and/or repair don't seem to fix it. All other Office apps are fine. Anyone seen this? Remedy?! ...

Default Line Weight in Excel
How do I change the default setting for the "Line Weight" when creating charts - at the moment all of my graphs are created with a very thin line weight & I would like the standard to be thicker.... You can't change the default line weight. However, you can create a custom chart with the heavier line weights and then use that custom chart instead of Excel's defaults. To do so, click once on your finished chart with the heavier line weights. Go to the standard toolbar and select Chart -> Chart Type. In the Chart Type dialog box, select the Custom Types tab. ...

Excel cannot open email program.
I often use "file.. send to... mail recipient" to send a spreadsheet as text in the body of an e-mail. I prefer that to sending excel as an attachment, since my recipients may not have excel and usually don't need to see formulas. On my new computer however I get the message "excel could not open the e-mail program" if I try the first option above. Both excel 2002 and outlook 2002 are working fine. I "repaired" office just to be sure. Still doesn't work. Only difference is that the computer came with a trial version of office 2003 which I don...

GETPIVOTDATA and Date-type field (Excel 2007)
Data Sample *************** Trip 0346210980 Statement Date 3/24/2010 Description STARBUCKS Date 03/08/2010 LocCurrAmt 3.47 Formula: =GETPIVOTDATA("LocCurrAmt",A6,"Statement Date",DATE(2010,3,24)) Problem: I keep getting a #REF error. When I evaluate the error it's always with the DATE function. Steps I've taken: 1. Confirmed that my date is a number and not text. 2. Tried using the date serial number (40261) instead of the DATE function. 3. Confirmed the GETPIVOTDATA works...

Excel 2003
Whenever a colleague updates a spreadsheet I've created it comes back 10MBytes large whereas it was originally only 50KBytes. It looks to me as if the colleague accidentally adds tens or hundreds of thousands of empty rows. How can I delete all rows below a certain row. Delete does not work. Copying the real rows into a new worksheet loses the formatting. When I apply the formatting from the big spreadsheet (paste formatting) I end up with hundreds of thousands of rows again :-( Any suggestions? Tom Selecting all the rows below your actual data. Right-click, delete cells. (this is...

access / excel link
i know that i can link excel tables to an access database. can i link an access table to a spreadsheet? -- TomMurray hi Tom, tom wrote: > i know that i can link excel tables to an access database. can i link an > access table to a spreadsheet? You may use Data/Get External Data, but this not the same as linked table. Depending on your needs, you may consider using a VBA procedure (macro) to read the data with a DAO.Recordset and copy it manually into to your cells - you can copy also a complete recordset, see CopyFromRecordset in Excel. mfG --> stefan <-- thanks stefa...

How do I assign a shortcut key to an existing macro in Excel 2003.
ntahall, Alt+F8 to bring up the choose macro box, select your macro, options, assign a shortcut from there -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 2003 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "ntahall" <ntahall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21B6102C-4B88-4131-A9AC-C48879896A17@microsoft.com... > ...

Creating the occurrence frequency chart in Excel
I had a need to put a series of numbers into buckets of size 5. I created the following formula, and "dragged it down" =A1 + IF(MOD(A1,5), 5-MOD(A1,5), 0) I am sure that there is a better way of doing this. Can someone suggest it? Also, I wanted to come up with an occurrence frequency chart for my data. For example if I have numbers 4, 9, 13, 13, 17, 19, 19, 19, then I would like the occurrence frequency chart to plot the following informatiuon in a 2D chart: 0-4: 1 5-9: 2 10-14:2 15-30: 3 Thanks, Song Hi: This will work out the buckets for you. Paste it into the first cel...

Conditional Opening of Excel file
Hi, I have a complex workbook that relies on various SUMIF's from othe reference workbooks. If these aren't open, then obviously the formula don't work. As it's for someone else; I want a piece of VB so that when they *open the main workbook, it checks to see if the ref file is open, and i not, it automatically opens it for them. A bit like this sub worksheetopen '(Not sure where this should go in parent book) if workbook("Referencefile.xls") is NOT open then workbook("referencefile.xls").open endif endsub Any ideas folks?:confused -- Message p...

Suppressing zeros after the decimal point
How can I force zeros to display following a decimal point in Excel 2002? Whenever I type a number, such as 3.200, Excel drops the zeros and only enters 3.2 into the cell. Is there a setting that can be changed to fix this? (Using the "0.00" custom format seems to help, but if I have another number, such as 4.70, which only needs one zero to display, then I need another custom format for that one, and the next one, etc.) If anyone has a simpler suggestion, I'd appreciate it. Thanks! Hi AFAIK you can't achieve this with a custom format. Either you have three decimals or...

how many characters i can put into one cell in Excel
If i typed a whole paragraph into one cell of Excel, only a part of para show up in that cell. I tried wrap text, increase the height of the column. Nothing happen. Any one have idea about it or there are some limit to view in Excel in one cell Hi Search for 'specifications' in Help: It says '32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar.' -- Andy. "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:747E6CFE-88D9-4F4C-950E-56F0885C3096@microsoft.com... > If i typed a whole paragraph into one cell o...

excel charts look drastically different on different computers
When we open excel charts on different computers in our office the formatting looks drastically different (for example, data labels and arrows on charts are in different locations). This is a huge problem because it means that the formatting has to be fixed each time someone opens an excel chart. This was never a problem until recently when some of our staff got new computers and for a short time they were using Office 2007 (everyone else in the office was using Office 2003). We've switched everyone back to Office 2003, but the problem with excel charts persists. When u ad...

new emails don't show without clicking send-receive
new emails don't show without clicking send-receive button--and now I've lost the send/receive button. What do I do? thanks ...

Can an Excel file be converted into Visio?
Does anyone know if this is even possible? Is there a converter pack or a website that would illustrate this process? Thanks, Jim ...

excel 2000 convert to excel 2003
Hi I would like to move current excell 2000 spread sheets and open them in 2003 excel. Please help in any way. I have copied my excell 2000 data onto a floppy however it will not open in Excel 2003 XL2000 and XL2003 share exactly the same file format and so should open just fine in either. However, you should never open XL files on floppies - XL uses temporary files, which may exceed the capacity of the floppy. Instead, copy the file from the floppy to your HD before opening. In article <72864281-728A-4B27-8317-A760E6440BB2@microsoft.com>, cityof <cityof@discussions.microsoft...

Font size changes in Excel 2003 charts when re-opened
For certain charts that I create within Excel 2003 (usually bar charts), I use a font size of 8 (eg for data labels, axis labels, and scale). If I close the file and then re-open it, all these fonts will have become size one (title and legend are not effected). Oddly, if I have created a bar chart and made several copies of it within a worksheet, it will only be the original and not the copies that are affected by this. If anyone can shed any light on why this may be happening and how it could be fixed, I would really appreciate it. Lucie ...

Using VBA to change Excel layouts
Our company has designed 4 different spreadsheet designs. The same data gets stored in any of the 4 spreadsheet layouts....the only difference is that some spreadsheets use different colors, have different fonts and cell sizes and etc... I thought it would be nice to create just ONE spreadsheet that contains a combo-box or list-box or drop-down box which allows the user to select 1 of the 4 layout choices, then I want VBA to programattically setup the spreadsheet layout according to the users choice. Does that make sense? Does anybody know any good ways to implement something lik...

Excel Crash
Multiple users here have this same problem that whenever they open a particular Excel file, it gives them a "Send Report Error." Weird thing about it is it doesnt happen in all their Excel files, only happens to some of them. Also tried opening the very same file/s they are having problems with on my machine and it worked fine. I have patched Office (SP2), updated Acrobat Reader, updated signatures, uninstalled/reinstalled Office, and done all the possible troubleshooting on these machines but still error occurs. Any help appreciated, thanks! Isolate the problem as best yo...

why can I not format a secondary axis in excel x?
Despite being able to graph data on a secondary axis in Microsoft Excel X, I have been unable to format said axis (ie make it start from a value other than zero). No amount of trying to click on and select the axis or the values has helped. Are you saying that double clicking does not bring up the Format dialog box for the axis? Try tapping the 'navigation (arrow) keys while watching the Name box. When it reads Secondary Value.... use the Format menu item to open the dialog box and then open the Scale tab to set the Min and Max values best wishes Bernard "mackie99" <...

How can I type more than one line of text into a cell in Excel?
I am using Excel to organize contact information, names, addresses, phone numbers, etc. I would like all of this information in one cell and in the standard format of: name address phone etc. I do not know how to make Excel accept more than one line of text, unless I cut and paste it from a Word document. Could someone please tell me how to format the cells so that more than one line of text can be accepted in a cell? Hi use ALT+ENTER for inserting line breaks -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "watermark" <watermark@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsb...

Delegate constructor compiles in VB.NET, but not in Excel VBA
I have created a DLL callback through a delegate function. It works fine when the client is C#, or VB.NET. I can't get it to compile in Excel VBA. I have this problem both in Excel 2003 and Excel 2007. The DLL references setting is ok, because when I take the reference out the compiler errors out on RemoteProcess. What am I missing? The snippets below are the dll code, the working vb.net client code, and the failing vba code. =========================================== The remoteprocess class is compiled as dll: =========================================== Public Cl...

how to format cells so that it only shows thousands.
howdy, i want to format cells so that number like 1,234,567 = 1,234 or 1235 how can i do this other than divide by 10. i just want to use the format number feature. thanks kev : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the custom format 0, or use 0,0, >-----Original Message----- >howdy, > > >i want to format cells so that > >number like > >1,234,567 = 1,234 or 1235 > > >how can i do this other than divide by 10. > >i just want to use the format number feature. > > >thanks > >kev :) > > >--- >Mess...