Showing No. of Pages in a cell

I've set up a workbook to print data with page breaks in various places.
The amount of the data can increase or decrease, either by sheer volume or
by filtering.  I would like to notify the user the number of pages that will
be printed depending on the setup/filtering/volume of data, etc.
I realise there is the Option to have the total number of pages printed at
the bottom (or top)via the Footer (or header) facility in Page setup, but I
want to show this elsewhere.

Is there some way to do this?

Rob

0
randwnobel (18)

Rob

Sub Page_Nos()
   TotalPages = ExecuteExcel4Macro("Get.Document(50)")
   MsgBox "there are " & TotalPages & " pages in this print job"
   Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value = TotalPages
End Sub

Alternative in Thisworkbook BeforePrint routine.........

    TotalPages = ExecuteExcel4Macro("Get.Document(50)")
    msg = "There will be " & TotalPages & " Printed Pages" & Chr(13) _
         & "Is this acceptable?" & Chr(13) _
         & "If Not, Hit No to Cancel Job"
    Ans = MsgBox(msg, vbYesNo)
    Select Case Ans
    Case vbNo
        Cancel = True
    End Select
End Sub

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:10:09 +1030, "Rob" <randwnobel@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I've set up a workbook to print data with page breaks in various places.
>The amount of the data can increase or decrease, either by sheer volume or
>by filtering.  I would like to notify the user the number of pages that will
>be printed depending on the setup/filtering/volume of data, etc.
>I realise there is the Option to have the total number of pages printed at
>the bottom (or top)via the Footer (or header) facility in Page setup, but I
>want to show this elsewhere.
>
>Is there some way to do this?
>
>Rob

0
Gord
12/21/2005 6:57:40 PM
Thanks Gord!!!

That was a real help.  I had to add a dim statement to get it to work and
made some minor modifications but the following shows the number of pages in
the appropriate cell.

Thanks too for the Workbook_BeforePrint routine which I might make use of as
well.

Sub Page_Nos()
   Dim TotalPages As Integer
   TotalPages = ExecuteExcel4Macro("Get.Document(50)")
   With Sheet3
   .Unprotect
   .Range("a1").Value = TotalPages
   .Protect
   End With
End Sub

Rob

> Rob
>
> Sub Page_Nos()
>   TotalPages = ExecuteExcel4Macro("Get.Document(50)")
>   MsgBox "there are " & TotalPages & " pages in this print job"
>   Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value = TotalPages
> End Sub
>
> Alternative in Thisworkbook BeforePrint routine.........
>
> Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean)
>    TotalPages = ExecuteExcel4Macro("Get.Document(50)")
>    msg = "There will be " & TotalPages & " Printed Pages" & Chr(13) _
>         & "Is this acceptable?" & Chr(13) _
>         & "If Not, Hit No to Cancel Job"
>    Ans = MsgBox(msg, vbYesNo)
>    Select Case Ans
>    Case vbNo
>        Cancel = True
>    End Select
> End Sub
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>

> On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:10:09 +1030, "Rob" <randwnobel@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I've set up a workbook to print data with page breaks in various places.
>>The amount of the data can increase or decrease, either by sheer volume or
>>by filtering.  I would like to notify the user the number of pages that
>>will
>>be printed depending on the setup/filtering/volume of data, etc.
>>I realise there is the Option to have the total number of pages printed at
>>the bottom (or top)via the Footer (or header) facility in Page setup, but
>>want to show this elsewhere.
>>
>>Is there some way to do this?
>>
>>Rob

0
randwnobel (18)
12/22/2005 10:45:31 AM
Rob

Thanks for the feedback.

You're right......I am guilty of not Dimming properly when testing.

If you leave Option Explicit off you can get away with some things, but not
good practice.

Gord

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:15:31 +1030, "Rob" <randwnobel@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks Gord!!!
>
>That was a real help.  I had to add a dim statement to get it to work and
>made some minor modifications but the following shows the number of pages in
>the appropriate cell.
>
>Thanks too for the Workbook_BeforePrint routine which I might make use of as
>well.
>
>Sub Page_Nos()
>   Dim TotalPages As Integer
>   TotalPages = ExecuteExcel4Macro("Get.Document(50)")
>   With Sheet3
>   .Unprotect
>   .Range("a1").Value = TotalPages
>   .Protect
>   End With
>End Sub
>
>Rob
>
>"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>> Rob
>>
>> Sub Page_Nos()
>>   TotalPages = ExecuteExcel4Macro("Get.Document(50)")
>>   MsgBox "there are " & TotalPages & " pages in this print job"
>>   Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value = TotalPages
>> End Sub
>>
>> Alternative in Thisworkbook BeforePrint routine.........
>>
>> Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean)
>>    TotalPages = ExecuteExcel4Macro("Get.Document(50)")
>>    msg = "There will be " & TotalPages & " Printed Pages" & Chr(13) _
>>         & "Is this acceptable?" & Chr(13) _
>>         & "If Not, Hit No to Cancel Job"
>>    Ans = MsgBox(msg, vbYesNo)
>>    Select Case Ans
>>    Case vbNo
>>        Cancel = True
>>    End Select
>> End Sub
>>

>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>>

>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:10:09 +1030, "Rob" <randwnobel@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I've set up a workbook to print data with page breaks in various places.
>>>The amount of the data can increase or decrease, either by sheer volume or
>>>by filtering.  I would like to notify the user the number of pages that
>>>will
>>>be printed depending on the setup/filtering/volume of data, etc.
>>>I realise there is the Option to have the total number of pages printed at
>>>the bottom (or top)via the Footer (or header) facility in Page setup, but
>>>want to show this elsewhere.
>>>
>>>Is there some way to do this?
>>>
>>>Rob

0
Gord
12/22/2005 7:32:41 PM
Hi Gord,

I really wasn't passing blame.  I was just happy to get the code!  I didn't
even realise that the OptionExplicit caused the code not to work.

If you have time I'd like to know what the
ExecuteExcel4Macro("Get.Document(50)") part of the code means, including why
(50).

Rob

> Rob
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> You're right......I am guilty of not Dimming properly when testing.
>
> If you leave Option Explicit off you can get away with some things, but
> not
> good practice.
>

> Gord
>
> On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:15:31 +1030, "Rob" <randwnobel@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks Gord!!!
>>
>>That was a real help.  I had to add a dim statement to get it to work and
>>made some minor modifications but the following shows the number of pages
>>in
>>the appropriate cell.
>>
>>Thanks too for the Workbook_BeforePrint routine which I might make use of
>>as
>>well.
>>
>>Sub Page_Nos()
>>   Dim TotalPages As Integer
>>   TotalPages = ExecuteExcel4Macro("Get.Document(50)")
>>   With Sheet3
>>   .Unprotect
>>   .Range("a1").Value = TotalPages
>>   .Protect
>>   End With
>>End Sub
>>
>>Rob
>>
>>"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>>> Rob
>>>
>>> Sub Page_Nos()
>>>   TotalPages = ExecuteExcel4Macro("Get.Document(50)")
>>>   MsgBox "there are " & TotalPages & " pages in this print job"
>>>   Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value = TotalPages
>>> End Sub
>>>
>>> Alternative in Thisworkbook BeforePrint routine.........
>>>
>>> Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean)
>>>    TotalPages = ExecuteExcel4Macro("Get.Document(50)")
>>>    msg = "There will be " & TotalPages & " Printed Pages" & Chr(13) _
>>>         & "Is this acceptable?" & Chr(13) _
>>>         & "If Not, Hit No to Cancel Job"
>>>    Ans = MsgBox(msg, vbYesNo)
>>>    Select Case Ans
>>>    Case vbNo
>>>        Cancel = True
>>>    End Select
>>> End Sub
>>>

>>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP

0
randwnobel (18)
12/23/2005 7:48:21 AM
Rob

ExecuteExcel4Macro runs an Excel4 macro because there is no VBA equivalent
method.

The Get.Document(50) is nothing more than a code number.

I have no idea what the code numbers are for the various properties.

The macro I provided was originally posted by Ron de Bruin, I believe.

One of the VBA-knowledgeable people will be able to elaborate should they
choose to jump in.

There is small bit of help on this if you type executeexcel4macro in the VBA
help answer wizard.

Gord

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:18:21 +1030, "Rob" <randwnobel@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Gord,
>
>I really wasn't passing blame.  I was just happy to get the code!  I didn't
>even realise that the OptionExplicit caused the code not to work.
>
>If you have time I'd like to know what the
>ExecuteExcel4Macro("Get.Document(50)") part of the code means, including why
>(50).
>
>Rob
>
>"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>> Rob
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback.
>>
>> You're right......I am guilty of not Dimming properly when testing.
>>
>> If you leave Option Explicit off you can get away with some things, but
>> not
>> good practice.
>>

>> Gord
>>
>> On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:15:31 +1030, "Rob" <randwnobel@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks Gord!!!
>>>
>>>That was a real help.  I had to add a dim statement to get it to work and
>>>made some minor modifications but the following shows the number of pages
>>>in
>>>the appropriate cell.
>>>
>>>Thanks too for the Workbook_BeforePrint routine which I might make use of
>>>as
>>>well.
>>>
>>>Sub Page_Nos()
>>>   Dim TotalPages As Integer
>>>   TotalPages = ExecuteExcel4Macro("Get.Document(50)")
>>>   With Sheet3
>>>   .Unprotect
>>>   .Range("a1").Value = TotalPages
>>>   .Protect
>>>   End With
>>>End Sub
>>>
>>>Rob
>>>
>>>"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message

0
Gord
12/23/2005 4:43:36 PM
Thanks Gord.

Rob

> Rob
>
> ExecuteExcel4Macro runs an Excel4 macro because there is no VBA equivalent
> method.
>
> The Get.Document(50) is nothing more than a code number.
>
> I have no idea what the code numbers are for the various properties.
>
> The macro I provided was originally posted by Ron de Bruin, I believe.
>
> One of the VBA-knowledgeable people will be able to elaborate should they
> choose to jump in.
>
> There is small bit of help on this if you type executeexcel4macro in the
> VBA
> help answer wizard.
>

> Gord
>
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:18:21 +1030, "Rob" <randwnobel@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi Gord,
>>
>>I really wasn't passing blame.  I was just happy to get the code!  I
>>didn't
>>even realise that the OptionExplicit caused the code not to work.
>>
>>If you have time I'd like to know what the
>>ExecuteExcel4Macro("Get.Document(50)") part of the code means, including
>>why
>>(50).
>>
>>Rob
>>
>>"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>>> Rob
>>>
>>> Thanks for the feedback.
>>>
>>> You're right......I am guilty of not Dimming properly when testing.
>>>
>>> If you leave Option Explicit off you can get away with some things, but
>>> not
>>> good practice.
>>>

>>> Gord

0
randwnobel (18)

how to paste formula and retain all or part of the cell references
I have following kind of problem: I want copy a cell from A5 to B5. In A5 I have a formula that takes values from A2 and E5, i.e. "=A2/E5". In the pasted cell the formula changes to corresponding values: "=B2/F5". In some cases this might be what I want, but in current situation I would like to change only column to corresponding - I would liket the resulting cell to include formula: "=B2/E5". How can I do this? Of course, in case of such simple formula it wouldn't be a problem but if I have very long formula with lots of references, it's a nightmare.. A...

"Show Placeholders" in options/view menu does'nt work.
I have a macro that places a large number of pictures on a spreadsheet. I would like the pictures to show as "placeholders" to speed up viewing/editing. The only problem is that this feature (under Tools/Options/View) does not work. All the images are being display normally. I have tried this in Excel 2000/2003/XP with the same result. This feature works great in MS Word. Please help. To see what I'm talking about. Go to Tools/Options/View and check the "Show Placeholders" option. Now insert a picture or clipart. The image will be displayed normally instead of just a b...

Show which cell has MAX, MIN values?
At the bottom of a couple thousand rows of data, I have =MAX and =MIN formulas. Is there some way I could make the cells beneath my MAX and MIN formulas show me the address of which cell has the displayed MAX or MIN value? At least the row number? Ed Ed, To return the row =MATCH(cell with Max or Min value,range starting in row 1,false) or to return the address, say, in Cell N3000, for a value given in N2999 =ADDRESS(MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE),COLUMN(N1)) or to return other matching information, like a name in column A =INDEX(A:A,MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE)) HTH, Bernie MS E...

Show email address instead of contact name
How can I make Outlook 2000 show the typed email address instead of resolving to the contact name in printouts of the contacts list and in the address boxes of email ? For example, I have a list of contacts in a custom list view with the email fields showing. Several of the entries in the email fields have resolved to the name of the contact. I want to see their email address not their name again. Also, a second example. I have three email addresses for a person, in the Email1, Email2, and Email3 fields. I go to send an email and instead of selecting the default from the addressbook/contact ...

require cell completion in a form?
I have a very simple form in Excel. I'm not sure if it matters, but the machine I'm on uses Excel 2002, and most of the users are on Excel 2000. The first 2 questions on my form require that the user select from a list of names, and then select their relationship to that person. Then the users answer a series of questions about this person's job performance. I'm using data validation to manage the two drop-down lists - the names and the relationships. However, about a third of my users end up leaving one or both of these cells blank. I have a comment box set up as a remin...

Average range of discontinuous cells
I have a block of columns (P-CT) that I need to average but only every 4th one. Example: I need to average P, T, X, AB, AF, AJ, AN, AR, AV, AZ, BD, BH, BL, BP, BT, BX, CB, CF, CJ, CN, CR. If I just type =AVERAGE(selecting these cells) it gives me 40238 when the only one with a value is cell P. These cells contain dates if anything. They are payment dates. I need the average number of dates it took to pay something. Any ideas for Excel 2003? Thanks. Never mind. I forgot to include my beginning date. It works. Just user error. "Nadine" wrote: > ...

I cannot get "Send" to show up in Toolbar
I think I'm set up for Outlook use, but there is no "Send" button. ?? Iuse Outlook all the time at work--I'm just rying to set it up at home. vincem wrote: > I think I'm set up for Outlook use, but there is no "Send" button. ?? > Iuse Outlook all the time at work--I'm just rying to set it up at home. Have you set up an email account? -- Gordon Burgess-Parker Interim Systems and Management Accounting www.gbpcomputing.co.uk "Gordon" wrote: > vincem wrote: > > > I think I'm set up for Outlook use, but there is no &...

how to only show first 20 words of a memo field
I have a memo field on a form, how can i show the first 30 characters and add 3 periods after the first 30 words. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200711/1 Use the Left function and add 3 periods: Left(string, length) & "..." "sheniece via AccessMonster.com" wrote: > I have a memo field on a form, how can i show the first 30 characters and > add 3 periods after the first 30 words. > > -- > Message posted via AccessMonster.com > http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums...

Last cell with data in a range
I enter weekly data into a spreadsheet with a summary page at the front. After every week, when new data is entered, I want the formula at the front to use the cell with the new data instead of me having to change the existing formula. For example, my data looks like this: A B C 276 300 421 175 0 0 0 I need a formula that will automatically detect the last number >0 in column C. Thank you for your assistance! =Countif(C2:C1000,">0") so your main page formula might be something like: =...

Printing from a Master page
I am trying to print a document and the text area is overprinted in black. Anyone know how to correct that? Might think about a printer driver update. Is this only happening on one publication? What version Publisher? Not sure I understand what is happening. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "sherlynn" <sherLynn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6169A241-2AE6-4DD7-A932-E5432A55C777@microsoft.com... >I am trying to print a document and the text area is overprinted in black. > Anyone...

deleting pages in publisher 2002
When deleting p.5 (or any page) of my 19 page document, last page deletes instead! What's happening here? How can I delete my page? I'm using "edit" delete page. Also, I am not in Master Page mode. K. On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 22:39:35 +0000, KLeDrew wrote (in article <CA87F080-CAF5-4A38-956C-FDF8896CA92A@microsoft.com>): > When deleting p.5 (or any page) of my 19 page document, last page deletes > instead! What's happening here? How can I delete my page? I'm using "edit" > delete page. Also, I am not in Master Page mode. > > ...

display cell value in msgbox formatted as %
Hi I have been trying to come up with a way to display a cell value in a msgbox so that it formats properly as a percent. I have tried: Productivity = Format(Range("A1").Value, "###,# %") Msgbox Productivity This always gives me a leading 0 (e.g 015%) and I want it to display 15.0%. So I tried this: Productivity = Format(CStr(Range("A1").Value) * 100, "#,###.0") & "%" and it works ok but... I want to use the value of productivity in computations - which I can't formatted as a string ... Am I missing something - or is it as simple...

Can multiple cell results be displayed in a single cell?
Is it possible to display the contents of multiple separate cells in another single cell? If the results of several cells say B1, B2, and B3 are the amounts $10, $15 and $20, I would like to display them in cell A1 as follows: $10 $15 $20 I could do this statically by using text and the 'Alt|Enter' function within the cell. However, these amounts will change from time to time so I'd like a link. Is this possible or not? Thanks for any help. Brett Brett One way: In A1: ="$"&B1&CHAR(10)&"$"&B2&CHAR(10)&"$"&B3&am...

Using color to ignore cells in a formula?????
Is it possible to set up a formula in excel to ingore certain cells if you should change the color of that cell to a color. Example: =sum(a1:a50) if cell A25 was blue how can I ignore it so that it is not calculated? Mike A. Hi only with VBA. See: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm and http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Mike A." <MikeA@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:65C99320-9FE3-4E11-81C2-C262B82B565B@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to set up a formula in excel to ingore cer...

in what order should i place multiple brochure pages?
i am wondering in what order should i lay out my pages in my brochure so it will print correctly . . . I would use one of the brochure templates, create, print it out and edit to my liking. -- Don Vancouver, USA "critic" <critic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB2EA24A-EC9F-44EB-AB02-209FF66A1F77@microsoft.com... >i am wondering in what order should i lay out my pages in my brochure so it > will print correctly . . . ...

Excel macros page breaks but not on row 1 and column value in footer
Hi, I have seen some posts that are similar, but no one seems to have the problem that I am having. I will post my macro in this, for anyone that is interested. My users get a csv file every month, and we have to clean it up. This macro does that. My last issues are this: 1) having the spreadsheet create page breaks whenever the value in column B changes. Below is just that code. Code: col = 2 LastRw = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count For X = 2 To LastRw If Cells(X, col) <> Cells(X - 1, col) And Cells(X, col) <> Range("B1") Then ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.HPageBreaks...

Showing intenet headers on recieved mail
How? I can see how to do it in OE but not Outlook.... "Paul Williams" <paulfoel@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cf82h3$2f6$1@titan.btinternet.com... > How? I can see how to do it in OE but not Outlook.... > > View-Options ...

Excel: When printing some cells will not print text in them
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) When I print an Excel 08 spread sheet, two of the cells that have text in them will not print the text in the cell. All the other cells with text prints fine. The text does not even show up on print preview in the print dialogue box. Any suggestions on how to get it to include the text in these two cells? ...

Country not showing up on POS screen
We process many international orders through online channels. When we put the work order into POS, the country doesn't show up on the POS screen. It is kinda hard to type the customers address into the USPS mail program without the country. Please tell me there is something we can do that will make the country show up on the screen so we do not have to add several steps to our processing to find it. (If Z-FIRM's Endicia add-in did International, this would not be an issue.) Mickie you can use the CAPTION FIELDS in CUSTOMER. This information will be displayed in your HTML B...

Connecting Cell with Lines
I have seen MSExcel printouts that have dotted or solid lines of different colors connecting different cells in a sheet. Is that something that can be done in MSExcel or would they have been added outside of MSExcel? If it can be done in MSExcel, how? In article <QbYYg.13615$GR.1871@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net>, "jerry" <jerryc314@sbcglobal.net> wrote: >I have seen MSExcel printouts that have dotted or solid lines of different >colors connecting different cells in a sheet. Is that something that can be >done in MSExcel or would they have been added outside of...

Publisher should allow the deletion of multiple pages
I wish publisher would allow for the deletion of muliple pages much like the options available when printing pages. lejianzhong <lejianzhong@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I wish publisher would allow for the deletion of muliple pages much > like the options available when printing pages. Suggestion: Try here: How to Contact the Microsoft Wish Program http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q114491 -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Appending data in cells that utilize a Dropdown list.
Hello all, I would like to append entries in cells that utilize a dropdown list. Currently, when I select (in this case names) from my dropdown list I cannot append them if I want to add more than one to a cell. If I select another name from the dropdown, it erases the first entry. Is there some way to append entries within cells that use this form of validation so that I can enter more than one in a cell from the dd list? -- Thanks, Geek using Office XP Professional Hi Geek Debra Dalgleish has an example workbook showing how to do this http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html...

Worksheet Change Event log for multiple cells
Dear All, I have a spreadsheet that is available here: http://www.filefactory.com/file/b02e5h4/n/Worksheet_change_event.zip (although I scanned it for viruses please make sure you do it again prior to opening it as I cannot guarantee it's worm free). I would like to create a log file in an additional sheet (hidden probably) that would record every activity from column E after clicking a button assigned to a cell in that column and show these records in a worksheet Totals in a specific row. For example: Column A from a worksheet „Totals” corresponds with column A in ...

Pivot Table: showing data as % of subtotal
Hi, I have pivot table data in this format: Name Type Amount ABC 1 $100 2 $200 3 $300 4 $400 ABC Total $1,000 DEF 1 $150 2 $260 3 $310 4 $420 DEF Total $1,140 and so on .... .... .... I want to see the data as follows: Name Type Amount % ABC...

mail box rights it only shows "SELF"
Once the user has been created, checking the Email address tab show nothing (empty), I pointing rus to the right DC, this solve that problem, but i have still have the next problem: under the mail box rights it only shows "SELF" where as all the other account show 8 or more system users? exchange 2003 Gr, Marco On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:10:27 -0800, "Marco" <Marco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Once the user has been created, checking the Email address tab show nothing >(empty), I pointing rus to the right DC, this solve that problem, but i have >...