Showing 3:54PM instead of 3:54:03PM

How do you get rid of the seconds in the time area. I have changed the
formatting in the time. I use the excel file as a data source. I include the
time in the mail merge. It always shows up with the seconds in the time. Very
frustrating.
HELP PLEASE!!

TJ

it may be formatted as text, so won't respond to changing the time format.
if it is text, the TIMEVALUE formula will convert it to a decimal-based time
value which can then be formatted by using Excel's normal Number formatting--
 to get rid of the seconds.

Eddie O

"TJ" wrote:

> How do you get rid of the seconds in the time area. I have changed the
> formatting in the time. I use the excel file as a data source. I include the
> time in the mail merge. It always shows up with the seconds in the time. Very
> frustrating.
> HELP PLEASE!!
>
> TJ
0
EddieO (39)
6/24/2005 3:08:03 AM
Your problem is that with Dates and Times you are formatting the view of
the cell, not the cell contents.

To format the time as a reformatted cell content try (for the current
time):
=TEXT((NOW()),"hh")&":"&TEXT((NOW()),"mm")&"PM"

or, assuming your time is in a cell (say, cell C8)
=TEXT(C8,"hh")&":"&TEXT(C8,"mm")&"PM"

Hope this helps

--
Bryan Hessey
Bryan Hessey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21059

Debra Dalgleish posted this for a different question:

In the Mail Merge, after you select your Excel file as a data source,
you should see a 'Confirm Data Source' dialog box.
   (If you don't see the dialog box, change the setting in Word --
    under Tools>Options, General -- add a check mark to
     'Confirm Conversion at Open')

 From that list, choose 'MS Excel Worksheets via DDE (*.xls)', and your
formatting will be retained.

If you have to connect through a different source, you can format the
fields in the Word document. For example, to specify a number of decimals:

1. In Word, in the Main Document, press Alt+F9 to view the field codes.
2. Find the field code for the number. It will look something like:
            { MERGEFIELD FieldName }
3. Add a switch, to format the number with two decimal places.
           For example:
            { MERGEFIELD FieldName  \# "#,##0.00" }
4. Press Alt+F9 to hide the field codes.
5. Save the Main Document

You'll have to change the format to what you need.

=====
I read the mailmerge help in Word and this format worked ok for me:
{ MERGEFIELD FieldName  \@ "hh:mm am/pm" }

--

Dave Peterson
0

Altsoft Xml2PDF 3.0 Released
Altsoft is proud to announce the immediate availability of the new version 3.0 of its .NET based Xml2PDF formatting engine. The major new features of the new version include: All formats: - Significant refactoring and optimization that makes the new version about 3-4 times faster and 2-3 times less memory consuming than the current commercial 2.x release; - New output formats: SVG Basic, raster images and GDI output; - The possibility to embed any supported format into any other; for example, SVG files can embed now XSL-FO pages; - Improved typography including the support of OpenType fonts...

meeting invites now show up as emails only
As of very recently, Outlook invites sent from my work calendar to my home calendar (both Outlook, although work Outlook is 2003 I think) now only show up as emails, not as calendar invites. Does anyone have an idea why this is happening - it used to work just fine. Fixes? ...

OWA
I have one computer that when trying to access exchange 2003 via OWA the messages are not listed. The message count is correct and all folders are there and visible but no message list or anything in the reading pane. Anybody have a fix? Are there no replies to this? I've found several others asking the same question here and getting no answers at all. EX2K3 on Win2K3 enterprise server, problem seems to be a client one as the same mailbox can successfully be accessed from other computers and this computer has same behaviour for all mailboxes. >-----Original Message----- >I ...

publisher templates #3
I have read the posting from Liz asking for a way to creat half fold cards in Publisher. After reading the suggestions via further postings, I wish Microsoft would explain why they chose to remove the 3rd option for a half fold card from its' more recent edition. It was SO much easier and handier to click the 3rd option of page setup to create a half fold card. I have the Avery textured half-fold cards and I used them with the earlier verson of Publisher. When it ain't broke; don't fix it! Sonya645 wrote: >I have read the posting from Liz asking for a way to creat &...

How to show the month of the referenced cell (containing a date)
If a cell holds the date "2/1/08", what formula can I use that will give me the following result: "Feb - 08" I tried =Month(a2)......but I just get the number of the month. Thanks. =TEXT(A2,"mmm - yy") Or simply =A2 with the cell custom formatted mmm - yy HTH. Best wishes Harald "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> skrev i melding news:165b03da-19ba-40b8-b9fe-77b17ef045b5@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > If a cell holds the date "2/1/08", what formula can I use that will > give me the following result: > > "Feb - 08&...

Outlook Client on Citrix #3
I have a client that is running CRM 3.0 Outlook Client on (2) Citrix servers. They are getting multiple synchronization errors. Any ideas? Let me know what information is needed to make a determination of where the problem is coming from. Thanks CRM 3 is not fully support on terminal services, but these might help you. http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/details.aspx?FamilyID=cbad1af7-8fde-40f2-8df5-935a363f87d9&displaylang=en, which is how to deply CRM on terminal services. Also have a look a this, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=664beb55-1652-474f-ae06...

Email messages in project center not showing in Entourage inbox
I am using Entourage 2004 version 11.4.0 on a Macbook with OSX version 10.5.8. I have several projects set up in the Project Center and email from some contacts are automatically made part of the different projects. Up until last week, all of my emails were showing up in the regular Mail Inbox, with the project marked by the colored dot in the Projects column. Now, however, some emails show up in the Project Center mail window, but not in the regular Inbox view. It has caused me to miss a few emails and is getting frustrating. Has anyone else experienced this? Or does anyone know what ...

How to hide duplicate records but show them once
I'm trying to weed out duplicate records but I need to show them once. I can't figure out how to do this without alot of formatting and deleting. Can anyone help? See Chip Pearson's website for advice on dealing with dupes http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm "Lisa" wrote: > I'm trying to weed out duplicate records but I need to show them once. I > can't figure out how to do this without alot of formatting and deleting. Can > anyone help? if the data is in one column, highlight the column, the select Data -> Filter -> Advanced Filt...

Trying install CRM 3.0
Hi guys, I'm tryingo to install the trial version CRM 3.0 but i'm receving two errors: 1) MS SQL SERVER: "MSSQLSvc service principal name not found for account CN=OFFICESYSTEMBR,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=officesystem,DC=com." 2) REporting Services "Setup failed to validate specified Reporting Services Report Server http://OFFICESYSTEMBR/Reportserver. Error: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content and then resta...

excel chart showing movable graph at what point we make a profit
in a business would like to make a chart based on accumulated Earnings & Profit/Loss for year to date, perhaps movable showing our break even point and by moving chart to a another earnings figure what profit we should make. For example put in earnings for YTD Profit/Loss YTD then I can move the earnings part of the chart to show what our profit would be for a given earnings figure. Alternatively If For example if we earn $200 for year so far and profit is $0 but any amount over that is 18% profit so I can move chart line to say $240 and it will say what profit I will make. Hope ...

timers #3
Hi I am having problems with timers, or more like the rate at which they go off. In this particular example I am setting a timer to go off every 25 milliseconds (40Hz rate). Judging by my printf's in DoTimer() function, the timer goes off at 32Hz rate. Another words, instead of going off every 25 milliseconds it goes off every 31 (or so) milliseconds. I'd like to know why it's happenning and how can I fix it. I can see that once the timer expires, it doesn't get restarted until my handler will return. But I don't think my handler is taking 6 milliseconds... Also, if it&...

Restoring Business Portal 4.0 and SharePoint Services 3.0
We are in the middle of trying to restore Business Portal 4.0 and SharePoint Services 3.0 from one environment to another( Dev to TEST). This includes GP data as well. The Business Portal Dev server points to a GP dev server and the I am wondering if anyone else does this? I think we have it pretty much solved. But there a couple things still not working quite right. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks Scott, Thanks for using the newsgroups. What you're doing is quite common. Customers often set up Business Portal in a test environment and verify prior to going live. Int...

Date Formula #3
I am having difficulty with the "NOW" formula. What I would like for it to do is when I enter a value in one cell have it update in another cell the date when the information was entered and that date stay permanenty. What I am having is the date changes to the current date everyday. Is this possible to do? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Todd You can do it with the change event of the worksheet This example will place the date/time in the B column if you change a cell in the range A1:A20. Place the code in the Sheet module Right click on a sheet tab and choose ...

paste linked cells show "0"
I have a number of cells in a range (lets say A14:J52). Some of these cells are "paste linked" from cells on other sheets. Unfortunately, when the original cell is empty, the value of the "paste linked" cell shows as "0". (not just blank like the original) Is there a way to keep the "paste linked" cell showing "0"? If not, how would I go about using VBA to systematically go through the above described range and delete those zeros? At the point I ran this code, any "0" could be deleted from the range safely whether it ...

Updating Internet Information #3
I have Microsoft Money 99 which I use mainly to do my yearly taxes. Until this year, I have been able to update the tax worksheet by downloading (clicking on "Update Internet Information"). When I click this now, I get a dialog box: Money 99 Online Connection Summary, indicating "Product Information. Money was unable to complete the operation. The internet, banking or brokerage server you were trying to contact encountered an error. Please try your call again later. (SMC)" I have tried this several times and received the same message in the last month. Can ...

Landed Costs #3
I deal with hundreds of different landed costs vendors each year. They change frequently and it is getting difficult to create or modify a landed cost everytime I have a new vendor. Great Plains seems to let me create a landed cost without a vendor associated with it, but when I do that is there a proper way to go about paying these vendors later? I would prefer to be able to just create a temporary vendor in AP for each of these landed costs, but wouldn't my accrued purchases effectively double as a result of the landed cost debiting my accrued purchases and the AP invoice debiting my ac...

Worksheet size #3
I need to create a year planner in Excel but the worksheet simply isn't wide enough - does anybody know how to increase the (width) size? Thanks Avril Hi Avril Excel is limited to 256 columns. This can not be changed. Cheers JulieD "Avril" <Avril@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56C0900E-D321-4914-BE89-B75A028C2D94@microsoft.com... >I need to create a year planner in Excel but the worksheet simply isn't >wide > enough - does anybody know how to increase the (width) size? > > Thanks > > Avril Hi so you want more than 256...

Error message 0x8004210A #3
I haven't been able to send/receive email for about one week. I run McAfee Anti-virus and stopping email scan doesn't stop message. Can anyone help? Hi CMarx. please read this here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;827349 -- Ich habe nichts gemacht, gestern gings noch! Bitte in den Newsgroup antworten damit jeder etwas davon hat. Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de "CMarx" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:2f11401c46cee$c42594b0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I haven't been able to send/receive email for about ...

leaving mail on server #3
I know that there is an option to leave mail on server when receiving it in 'Office Express'. Is there one for 'Office'? Sure - in Outlook you can specify this in your POP mail settings. Moe wrote: > I know that there is an option to leave mail on server > when receiving it in 'Office Express'. Is there one > for 'Office'? Thank you!! It wasn't as intuitive as Express. I included 'POP' in my search through MS and got the directions. >-----Original Message----- >Sure - in Outlook you can specify this in your POP mail settings....

Showing totals from two columns
Is there a way to show the totals from two columns? For example, say I have the number 15 in column A and 7 in column B, I need column C to look like this: 15, 7 But instead I can only get them to appear together giving me 157??? Are there any suggestions? Thanks! Try A1 & ", " & B1 Art "Kristin" wrote: > Is there a way to show the totals from two columns? > For example, say I have the number 15 in column A and 7 in column B, I need > column C to look like this: > > ...

����MFC��һ���ĵ� #3
faint..... "apple" <wenjuanluo@163.com> д���ʼ� news:eouOLWnrEHA.3848@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > > > ...

Query Based Distribution Lists #3
I can create QBDL based on STATE, ZIP, LASTNAME and many other fields. I would like to make a list based on Group Membership. There is a field under USER called MEMBER OF but it does not give me any results when I do a preview. I have many employees who work in multiple locations and need to belong to several different groups even though they have only one login and work out of a single office with the same address etc. So I made them members of groups based on the different location in which they work and wanted to send mail based on this membership. McMurray <McMurray@disc...

Usernames not showing up when tracking changes in Excel
One of my users is sharing out an Excel document in their shared documents folder. When he tracks changes, for some users it shows the user's full name, ie John Smith, but for others it shows nothing. This is on an XP Pro operating system on a Novell 6 network. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks. >-----Original Message----- >One of my users is sharing out an Excel document in their >shared documents folder. When he tracks changes, for >some users it shows the user's full name, ie John Smith, >but for others it shows nothing. This is on an XP P...

logging #3
All, Unfortuantely emails that come from internal users, to internal users using an Outlook client don't show any header information in the email. How do I set up logging to find out what emails come from what machine? Message tracking won't do it BTW. I've enabled everything I can see in the console for message tracking, and it just shows everything but the originating machine. Thanks! Pair Are you saying there is no info on the SMTP logs? oz -- Best regards, Good Luck Oz Ozugurlu ____________________________ MCSE 2003 M+,S+, CCNA Http://www.msexchange911.org Http:...

archive.pst #3
i have archived my inbox, sent mail and deleted files from a certain date backward. the files show up on my floder list in outlook 2000, but when I try to access them, i can only see the file name and outllok will not open the .pst file. what have I done wrong, and how can i open the .pst file?? Thanks! Is there any error message (try file open personal folders file) "markk" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E02AA83-D33D-41E3-9BB0-D8E630858278@microsoft.com... > i have archived my inbox, sent mail and deleted files from a certain date backward. t...