Shortcut icons viewed while open folder

Hi I am always trying to save many extra steps within my
job.  Here at work we have many different drives and
folders upon sub-folders.  When I do a File, Open within
Excel, or even Word, on the left side of the Box it has
some icons listed.
Ie.
My Documents
History
Desktop
Favorites
My Network Places

My question is:  How can you change those icons.  For
example.  Instead of the My Documents going to "My
Documents folder" I would like it to go to a different
folder.
1)How do you change that? Can this be done.
2)Can you rename the "My Documents" to say something else?

Thanks,
Sean
0
anonymous (74722)

Sean

KB article shows how to add/delete from the "places" bar in Office 2002(XP)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282087&Product=xlw

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:12:39 -0700, "Sean"

>Hi I am always trying to save many extra steps within my
>job.  Here at work we have many different drives and
>folders upon sub-folders.  When I do a File, Open within
>Excel, or even Word, on the left side of the Box it has
>some icons listed.
>Ie.
>My Documents
>History
>Desktop
>Favorites
>My Network Places
>
>My question is:  How can you change those icons.  For
>example.  Instead of the My Documents going to "My
>Documents folder" I would like it to go to a different
>folder.
>1)How do you change that? Can this be done.
>2)Can you rename the "My Documents" to say something else?
>
>Thanks,
>Sean

0
Gord
6/10/2004 11:03:00 PM
And this one for Office 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q205/0/41.ASP&NoWebContent=1

Gord

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:03:00 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:

>Sean
>
>KB article shows how to add/delete from the "places" bar in Office 2002(XP)
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282087&Product=xlw
>
>Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
>On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:12:39 -0700, "Sean"
>
>>Hi I am always trying to save many extra steps within my
>>job.  Here at work we have many different drives and
>>folders upon sub-folders.  When I do a File, Open within
>>Excel, or even Word, on the left side of the Box it has
>>some icons listed.
>>Ie.
>>My Documents
>>History
>>Desktop
>>Favorites
>>My Network Places
>>
>>My question is:  How can you change those icons.  For
>>example.  Instead of the My Documents going to "My
>>Documents folder" I would like it to go to a different
>>folder.
>>1)How do you change that? Can this be done.
>>2)Can you rename the "My Documents" to say something else?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Sean

0
Gord
6/10/2004 11:12:32 PM
And this one for Office 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q205/0/41.ASP&NoWebContent=1

Gord

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:03:00 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:

>Sean
>
>KB article shows how to add/delete from the "places" bar in Office 2002(XP)
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282087&Product=xlw
>
>Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
>On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:12:39 -0700, "Sean"
>
>>Hi I am always trying to save many extra steps within my
>>job.  Here at work we have many different drives and
>>folders upon sub-folders.  When I do a File, Open within
>>Excel, or even Word, on the left side of the Box it has
>>some icons listed.
>>Ie.
>>My Documents
>>History
>>Desktop
>>Favorites
>>My Network Places
>>
>>My question is:  How can you change those icons.  For
>>example.  Instead of the My Documents going to "My
>>Documents folder" I would like it to go to a different
>>folder.
>>1)How do you change that? Can this be done.
>>2)Can you rename the "My Documents" to say something else?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Sean

0
Gord

use screen captures to show icons etc
I can't find the send button in outlook, help has been useless, referring only to the button, not showing where it is. I would like help to use screen captures to show graphically the information they refer to. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http:...

Outlook 2007 Crashes Upon Opening
Hello, I'm running Outlook 2007 SP1 MSO 12.0.6425.1000 and always errors out and closes when I start it. Everything that I can see points to the mso.dll file. I swapped it out with another copy (have the orig) and still same result. My OS is Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600 Below is the info from the event log, hope someone can assist. -------- Faulting application outlook.exe, version 12.0.6316.5000, stamp 4833a470, faulting module mso.dll, version 12.0.6425.1000, stamp 49d65443, debug? 0, fault address 0x00dfef5d. Fo...

Open A Network Folder From VBA
All - I'd like to be able to open a network folder when a user clicks a button on a form. The shared folder has a static name, but the sub folder will change with each record. For example.... Shared Folder \\server\share\folder Record ProjectNumber I'd like to have it set so that when a user is in ProjectNumber 123, they click the button and the folder \\server\share\folder\ProjectNumber opens. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. Jeff Hi Jeff, At my job all users have Windows 2000 or Windows XP, and I use something similar to the follo...

macro needs info on currently highlighted message in search folder
I created a search folder, "Messages Sent Or Received Prior To 2008) by using the Advanced Search and creating a query. The list of messages is shown, including just the lowest level folder name. I can navigate through the messages, and I'd like write a macro to show the full folder path of the currently selected (not opened) message, because I have many dozens of folders and they're not all named uniquely at the lowest level. Can this be done? Thanks tbone Show it where? Outlook version? -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Program...

opening excel document with shell as read only
Hello, I am presently using access to open an excel file by using the shell command. Is it possible by some command e.g. \readonly to open the excel file as read only? Cheers If you're automating excel from another program, you may be able to just create an instance of excel and open your workbook readonly: This worked for me from MSWord: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim myXL As Object On Error Resume Next Set myXL = GetObject(, "Excel.Application") If Err.Number = 429 Then Set myXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application") End If On Error GoTo 0 myXL.Visible =...

Print Layout view as default view
We are using Outlook 2003 with MS Word as our default editor. When opeing attachments in Outlook the view is magnified forcing the attachment to span over say 4 pages instead of two - two being the actual number of pages in the attachment. If we go to view/print layout then the attachment appears as we would like it to. How can the default view be set to the pront layout for attachments? Thank you - ...

Page icons in Publisher 2000 have disappeared.
My page number icons have disappeared. Now I have to click on "go to page __" to move from page to page. How do I get those icons back? View, Toolbars, Status bar... -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "GabPub" <GabPub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED718A66-1F8C-4F59-93DA-71FC7B4CE2E8@microsoft.com... > My page number icons have disappeared. Now I have to click on "go to page __" > to move from page to page. How do I get those icons back? Select View, Tool Bars, Status Bar. That should bring back the page icons. -- Do...

Outlook 2003 slow opening first html msg
Anyone else noticed a slowdown recently when opening the first html formatted message in Outlook 2003? It might have occurred during the recent MS updates, or it might be where I upgraded to IE7. That all happened about the same time. On my Pentium 800 with .5gb of ram, the message frame appears in about 20 seconds and the contents in another 20 seconds. This seems to only happen on the first e-mail to be opened. The next opens instantly. Dave ...

My IMAP Inbox is showing in calendars, not in the mail folder
Help. This is driving me mad. When I click on the IMAP master folder in the mail view I don't see my inbox. It's in the calendar view and I want to move it back. any help gratefully received. Adam ...

size of public folder
I would like to know where the public folder information is stored, ie the path to public folder. I need to determine the size. Can someone help me on this Thanks Right click the public folder store in ESM, and choose properties. The paths will be shown on the Database tab. "Song Tan" <SongTan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:474FEF3C-F62E-41C7-ABFE-4C7D1414640C@microsoft.com... >I would like to know where the public folder information is stored, ie the > path to public folder. I need to determine the size. > > Can someone help me on this >...

how to save an icon made by mysellf.
hi. Would you tell anything about the following questions please. 1.how to save an icon made by mysellf. 2.how to save a toolbar made by mysellf. 3.how to save the style of my toolbars set by mysellf. for whenever i reinstall excel,i have to reset the style of my often used toolbars or even redraw icons. it is boring. thank you. Hi, Your Excel toolbar settings are saved on a file with xlb extension. Look for it on your Windows folder. -- HTH --- Orlando Magalhaes Filho (So that you get best and rapid solution and all may benefit from the discussion, please reply within the ne...

"Show Desktop" icon has disappeared.
XP/SP3 This used to sit just next to the Start Button, but it has vanished. How can I get it back? Help, Frank "Frank Martin" <fm@general.com.au> wrote in message news:uWfoCi7aKHA.5156@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > XP/SP3 > > This used to sit just next to the Start Button, but it has vanished. How > can I get it back? > > Help, Frank How to re-create the Show Desktop icon on the Quick Launch toolbar: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/190355 -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA ...

Can't view the MS Outlook 2000 calender when the workstation is Locked #2
Hi, I am facing this problem since a few days, that when ever i lock my workstation, then my colleagues cant view my Calender. I have got Windows 2000 as my Operating System and MS Office 2000. I would be thankfull, if my problem is resloved. Thanks & Regards, Subroto ...

Change name of "Personal Folders" in Outlook 2003
How do I change the way a .PST file is displayed in Outlook 2003? If I open a .PST file it always displays in the folder list as "Personal Folders." So if I open several .PST files, they all display as "Personal Folders." I would like them to display as different, descriptive names. (I.E. January, February, etc.) Please advise. Trevor Right click the root of the folderset-> Properties-> button Advanced-> field Name -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office XP CD slipst...

How to open Excel docs default with Excel 2007?
I had Office 2003 installed, then installed Office 2007 as well. The system was automatically configured then to open all Excel files (2003 or 2007) in Excel 2007. However, here at work they just did some Office 2003 update, and now XLS files are opening with Office 2003. If I go into Windows explorer and to file types and find XLS, when I browse to the office 12 directory and select EXCEL.EXE as the file used to open, it simply selects the "Microsoft Excel" that's already in the "Recommended Programs" section (at the top) of the "Which program to open the file wi...

Adding a Folder to Mailbox
Hi, Just wondering if it's possible to add a new folder eg Messages, to all mailboxes without having to create the folder in outlook for each user. Thanks ...

How to run a macro by opening a file?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to run a macro when I open a file? For example, I would like to run a specific macro within file.xls, if current time is between 9 am and 10 am, otherwise, don't run this macro. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it? I am using XP with SP3 and Office 2003. Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric hi something like this might work........ Private Sub Workbook_Open() If Time > "9:00 AM" And Time < "10:00 AM" Then call ASpecificMacro Else MsgBox "current time out of range. terminati...

.gif to icon....
I want to convert a graphic .gif file to the main icon using VC++6. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks, RAB_Missouri In article <c9aa6a3f.0408180818.6b47fe7e@posting.google.com>, rabmissouri@yahoo.com (RAB_Missouri) wrote: >I want to convert a graphic .gif file to the main icon using VC++6. >Does anyone know how to do this? The easiest way is to open up your GIF file in your favourite image editor, select the desired 16/24/32/48 pixel square, copy it to the clipboard, then go to the icon editor in VC++6 and paste it in. You might have to play around with the icon's...

Schedule+ Free/Busy Folders
After a site consolidation there are still left over folders for the previous Exchange 5.5 sites that were consolidated into two Exchange 2003 Mixed Admin Groups. After switching to native mode, can these left over folders which are empty and have no replicas be deleted? Just to add, every mailbox now has a legacyexchangedn pointing to just the two remaining Admin Groups Hi, If the folders are empty, have no replicas and the users are not experiencing any problems (related to this) you can delete/remove the folders. Leif "psifur" <psifur@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Shortcuts to Outlook Items
I tried searching, but couldn't find the answer... Is there a way, configuration wise or third party program wise... to create a Desktop Shortcut to items in Outlook? lets say I have a folder in the Public Folders, and I want to create a shortcut to a item inside that folder? I am aware I can create a shortcut to the folder. Thanks in advance for any help provided. Shayne. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/links.htm=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programm...

Messages and folders vanished from Inbox
I logged on this morning and my machine closed itself down while opening Outlook Express 6. When I restarted, all messages and sub-folders had vanished. The only messages remaining were those sent today. What happened? Can I get them back? No other folders were affected! ...

viewing e-mails
I just updated my outlook express to version 6.0 and when I open my e-mails I get a small window. I opened an e- mail, expanded the window and closed the window. I then exited from outlook express and tried it again. The window is still small, what can I do about it< Earlene wrote: > I just updated my outlook express to version 6.0 and when > I open my e-mails I get a small window. I opened an e- > mail, expanded the window and closed the window. I then > exited from outlook express and tried it again. The > window is still small, what can I do about it< You c...

Save each file in a folder as a filtered HTML file and also as a PDF file
I submitted this to the word.programming but wonder if this is the right NG. I need to open each file (.doc) that is in a certain folder and then save it both as a filtered HTML and also as a PDF. I wonder if that can be automated somehow. I have no idea how to program word so I'm afraid that I could spend much time learning how to, only to find out it can't be done. If it is a reasonable thing to do I'd really appreciate a sample of something similar so I can get orientated and know what to look up. Thank in advance Answered in the other group! ...

registry key for Outlook Today as a default view in 2003
I'd like to know the registry key to setup each e-mail profile with Outlook Today view as a default. Thank you. ...

Account deleted
I was contacted about an issue today: 1. Several profiles existed in one view in outlook 2. An account was accidentallydeleted in tools-email accounts 3. Some of the folders disappeared. They were cached for offline access I believe. 4. Assuming the old server is not available for connection, how can I get these back? Thanks! You can't. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, adamtuliper asked: | I was contact...