shift+enter?

is there a way to "return" inside a cell like you would on any wor
program when you hit "enter"?  up until now i've had to either put i
in a new cell or hit space alot

--
medicenpringle
medicenpringles's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1645

Use ALT+Enter.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"medicenpringles" <medicenpringles.1fqg0m@excelforum-nospam.com>
wrote in message

> is there a way to "return" inside a cell like you would on any
> word
> program when you hit "enter"?  up until now i've had to either
> put it
> in a new cell or hit space alot.
>

> --
> medicenpringles
> medicenpringles's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16458
> View this thread:

chip1 (1821)

excel spread sheet wont caculate new data entered in ranges.
my excel spread sheets no longer adds new data entered in ranges. I use Excel to track construction expenses. Recently the workbook spreadsheets stoped adding new data entered into the ranges. Tools>Options>Calculation is set to "Manual"? The SUM range is too narrow and does not include the new data rows/columns? Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 14:05:04 -0800, "Art-needs-help" <Art-needs-help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >my excel spread sheets no longer adds new data entered in ranges. I use >Excel to track construction expenses....

how do I enter this in excel sumif
enter formulas to calulate the total for each sale and the amount of commission earned by each sale using the following information: House sold for 138000 House sold for 200000 if house sold for >100000<149999 recieve 0.5% commission if house sold for >150000<199999 recieve 1.0% commission if house sold for >200000 recieve 1.5% commission bonus $2000 if total sales >10000 Assume that your sales values are in B Column. Copy and paste the below formula in C1 cell. =IF(B1>200000,B1*1.5%,IF(B1>150000,B1*1%,IF(B1>100000,B1*0.5%,""))) I am not...

Automatically enter date and time but only update once.
I have a workbook that contains 14 sheets. I have a sheet for each month followed by 2 sheets for information. Each Month sheet has the following column headings associated from columns A through J:- Owner; from date; number of days; to date, address, ID, month, input by; date; time. I have to input data in columns A, B, C E, H, I and J. Columns A and H are pick lists. I have formulas in the following columns:- Column C: =IF(ISBLANK(Cnn),"",+Bnn+Cnn) Column F: =IF(ISBLANK(Enn),"",+Fnn+1) I want column I to be populated AUTOMATICALLY (do not want to use the Contr...

complex overtime/late shift compensation calculations
I'm running a 24 hour store and the calculation of staff hours drives me insane. I have employees that work by the hour, in full 100% and in part time %. The employees that does not work by the hour have fixed work-times on a schedule so that the hours will add up to 39*52*percentage of full time employment hours for a year. Some weeks a person might work many hours and are compensated for it the next week when they work fewer hours. First the staff gets compensation for working late: Week-days 50% on every minute between 17:00-21:00 weekdays 100% on every minute between 21:00-4:00 weekda...

Returns entered from previous closed shift
When doing a close, how do you work off any returns entered from sales of previous closed shift? Since these returns are not from the current shift and it would not square off with current cashier shift at closing. On Sep 30, 7:04=A0am, RicoTowers <RicoTow...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When doing a close, how do you work off any returns entered from sales of > previous closed shift? =A0Since these returns are not from the current sh= ift > and it would not square off with current cashier shift at closing. Not sure what you are asking. All that matters from the sh...

Text entered in two separate cells appear as one word in another
Text entered in two separate cells eg. A1 TOM B1 HARRIS how do I get these two words to appear as TOMHARRIS in Cell C1 Hi, =A1&B1 if you need a comma in between =A1&","&B1 if this helps please click yes, thanks "lizzie" wrote: > Text entered in two separate cells eg. A1 TOM B1 HARRIS how do I get these > two words to appear as TOMHARRIS in Cell C1 ...

I cannot enter information in excel sheet, info bounces to top
I am entering information into an excel sheet and it bounces to the top of the worksheet and overrites information. This sheet has alot of formulas in it and some of the cells are locked. I checked to make sure they are not locked and I tried the Turn automatic completion of cell entries off but that also did not work Right-click the pesky worksheet tab, and click 'View Code'. Is there some VBA code in the window that opens? -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "Ambitious Angela" wrote: ...

How do I undo the alt+enter function?
Hi not sure what you're trying to do. Do you want to delete a manual linebreak? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "JennyB" <JennyB@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:2D990E6E-E599-4566-9D51-2158C56F9898@microsoft.com... > highlight the cell you want to change, on the main menu selec Format>cells (CTRL+1), click the 'Alignment' tab and uncheck Wrap Text Your text line now shows small squares at the point of each carriag return. Press F2 (edit) and delete the squares (they may not b visible in edit mode, but they are still the...

Infopath w/ manually entered values in drop-down and qry results
I had originally posted this elsewhere, but was told this forum is the appropariate plase. I have an Infopath form with a drop-down listbox, that is poulated with manually-entered values. I choose a value, submit the updated data, and it does put the correct value in the SQL 2005 database. However, the next time I query the data, the value in the drop-down list box is the default value for the list-box, not the value from the database, which is misleading. I would have expected the drop-down listbox to display the value from the database instead. Thanks. On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, in...

Tab / Enter key behaviour. Auto Wrap?
Good afternoon all. I'm currently working on a spreadsheet that keeps track of cheques tha come in the mail, and when they have been sent off. There are only rows needed, so to save space, I repeat the same block of 6 lines fro row 1 to 36, in A->K A1-6 contains the sources headers. **** Cheque # Cheque Amnt # of Entries Date Sent **** This is repeated every 6 lines. So, sample data of A1-12 is **** Cheque # Cheque Amnt # of Entries Date Sent **** **** Cheque # Cheque Amnt # of Entries Date Sent **** Now, here's what I want to do... When I'm typing in a cheque, I hit ent...

entering Unicode characters
Hi everybody, I have a MFC app with a dialog with a Rich Edit control. I need to enter Unicode characters. When I enter Alt+nnn, I get the corresponding Unicode character (for example Alt+937 gives the greek letter omega). When I do the same with a normal edit field (not Rich Edit) I get another character (looks like french e) - probably it gets converted to ANSI. I need to be able to enter Unicode characters in the standard edit fields using the Alt+nnn method. How can I achieve that? Can I enable it somehow or do I have to implement it? I am using Windows 2000, VS 6.0. thanks for a...

Automatically enter current date in cell.
Hello, I have a column in my spreadsheet, which should always have current date mentioned in it. When a user adds a new row to a spreadsheet, I want current-date (MM/DD/YYYY) to be automatically entered in the cell, just by tabbing over the cell. In general, how can we specify default values for a column (i mean, values which EXCEL will automatically generate if user chooses not to update the cell) Thanks for the help. take a look at http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/timestamp.html In article <de8e098d.0408160539.2eed5558@posting.google.com>, mail_ssb@yahoo.com (ssb) wrote: >...

Excel and entering text in cells
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi <br> I need to use excel in the following way. I'll have two columns (say A and B) Column A will contain only text, but can contain quite a bit of text. I hav noticed that if I format the cells in A to use &quot;text&quot; the cells will only display about 300 characters before I get the #####. However if I set the format to &quot;General&quot; the cell will dipslay much more text, however, regardless of the size of the cell at a certain point the cell does not display all text unle...

How do I stop dates from being entered everytime I enter a number
Everytime I enter data in a box (ex: ages 5-9) I then press enter to go to the next cell and it automatically puts in may 9 . I have tried putting in general in formatting cells and it still does it. can someone help before I shoot this pc out the window? I am making a population pyramid with males and females and their ages. Thanks, Kicking and Screaming You can precede your entry with a single quote... '5-9 ....or format your cells as 'Text'. Hope this helps! In article <64AE5219-035D-46E3-9488-5D01F6B012FA@microsoft.com>, Kicking and Screaming <Kicking and...

Show Distribution info when entering A/P
NWhe entering Vendor Bills, show the distribution information on the first screen. GP only uses 1/3 of the screen now, so there is pleanty of room. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowse...

[Money 2004] Entering stock lots
I closed one account and transferred the stocks to another new account. In the new account there was a Transfer In transaction. I made the mistake of deleting the old account and lost the cost data. I can get the info from the backup, of course, but can enter in the lots for stocks without recreating the old account? ...

Entering dates in Excel 2002
Is it possible to enter and use dates prior to January 1,1900, in calucaltaions in Excel 2002. Specifically trying to calculate the number of days between two dates where one or both of the dates are prior to January 1, 1900. If so how? On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 21:27:01 -0800, "DickG" <DickG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it possible to enter and use dates prior to January 1,1900, in >calucaltaions in Excel 2002. Specifically trying to calculate the number of >days between two dates where one or both of the dates are prior to January 1, >1900. If so h...

enter value in a cell from a combo box
How to build a combo box to be able to select a value and enter in the cell 1. Go to View > Toolbars > Control Toolbox 2. Click on the "Combobox" icon once and draw one on your worksheet (hold down the ALT button to fit to a cell). 3. Right-click on the Combobox and go to Properties. 4. In the ListFillRange type in the range of cells that contain the values to fill the combobox, like A1:A5. 5. In the LinkedCell field type a cell reference that will contain the user's selection (ie E2). 6. Click on the Exit Design Mode icon and close the toolbar. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA ...

Data entered in one record is shifting to others
I have a large spreadsheet that is attempting to track folk's location over the next few months. Columns A thru AE are data type entries....columns AF thru IU are date ranges. I am tracking/have entered over 300 records/rows. I have had some previous help on coding to shade the interior of the date cells based on what text entry that I make in the cell. Unfortunately, I didn't think of or ask for the code to return the cell interior color to white when i deleted the text entry...so I tried working the code so that it would. Well, it does, but only for one cell at a time. Any...

HR Reconcile Attendance Transactions-enter date range
The TATX1030 table can have large numbers of records. The HR Reconcile Attendance Transaction process takes hours to complete when the TATX1030 table has 400,000 records. It would be nice if we were able to enter a date range so that only the relevant records were reconciled. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader ...

enter data in cell then run macro automatically
Hi, Is it possible that I can enter data into a cell and then the pressing of the enter key will cause a macro to run? Rick Yes. That type of macro is run from Event code. For more on events see Chip Pearson's site at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/events.htm Or David McRitchie's site at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/event.htm Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:04:42 -0000, "R D S" <RDS@members.v21.co.uk> wrote: >Hi, > >Is it possible that I can enter data into a cell and then the pressing of >the enter key will cause a macro to...

Why can I not enter a valid date for this code...
I have a form that I enter a date into and then press a buton to run the code below. No date seem to be valid for this section of code to no display the message, ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ElseIf Me.ImportDate > DMax([ImportDate], "qry_PSI_importdate_max") Then MsgBox "You have already imported PSI data for this date" ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I can enter any date and it always says "You have already imported...

Employee schedule: I want it to calculate time entered such as 11.
I would like to enter the in and out times for each employee on my schedule spreadsheet in normal format (e.g. 11:00pm - 7:00am) and have it calculate how many hours the emploee worked. Everything works well until I have an employee who works the night shift. The subtraction of 11pm to 7am gives me a negative and incorrect anser. How can I achieve this and still use normal format times as above? Rudy If you put the date (time in) in column A for example, and the time in 9:00 PM in column B, then in Column C, you can input the forula =A1+B1 (formatted for date and time). Then do ...

Entering a company name on the tab
Hi I am trying to create a tab that when I open Excel and click File New I will be able to see / General / Spreadsheet Solutions / Ashfield / I am using Excel 2000 - I know I did this before on 97 but can't remember how. I find it useful for customers who would like to store their own templates in their own area. Thanks a million for any help in advance Ann Ann What do you consider to be the "Tab"? A worksheet Tab name or the Caption you see in the Title Bar? For the former, just create a workbook with that sheet name and save as a Template. For the latter, you...

Entering Formula
I'm using Excel 2007 When I'm entering a formula into a cell, the text of this formula if longer than the cell covers the cell to the right and then I cannot click on this cell to automatically put that reference in the formula. The same happens when you are in a table, but the formula is centered on the cell, expanding left and right. The names of the cells in a table are very long 'Table4[[This Row],[Column Name]' and thus is you select a few cells the formula description is very long and you cannot 'click' on the cells to the left or right. Is t...