Sheet you want to copy contains the name...

When I copy a worksheet I get the repeated message box that the destination
workbook already contains the name "a", "aa", "prntoutline", "ssd", "q" and
"zz".

I have to select yes to each message box to allow the worksheet copy to
complete itself.

I do not have these names within the worksheet (chekced by
Insert>Name>Define).

How can I delete these nsmaes that do not seem to exist?

Thanks.

Names can be hidden, so Insert=>Name=>Define may not show them.  In the
troublesome workbook make a blank sheet active, then go to the VBE
(Alt+F11), do insert=>Module and paste in the below code.  Then do Alt+F11
to return to the worksheet and then do Tools=>Macro=>Macros, select
ShowNames and click run.

Sub ShowNames()
i = 1
for each nm in activeWorkbook.Names
   cells(i,1).Value = nm.name
   cells(i,2).Value = nm.RefersTo
   cells(i,3).Value = nm.Visible
   i = i + 1
Next
End Sub

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Michael31" <rhcp@123.com> wrote in message
> When I copy a worksheet I get the repeated message box that the
destination
> workbook already contains the name "a", "aa", "prntoutline", "ssd", "q"
and
> "zz".
>
> I have to select yes to each message box to allow the worksheet copy to
> complete itself.
>
> I do not have these names within the worksheet (chekced by
> Insert>Name>Define).
>
> How can I delete these nsmaes that do not seem to exist?
>
> Thanks.

0
twogilvy (1078)
3/25/2005 7:10:23 PM
Thank-you very much Tom.

I added  ActiveWorkbook.Names(nm.Name).Delete
to your macro and deleted the buggers- I had over 100 unknown and unused
names in the workbook.

All were invisible as per your detection routine and the name's references
made no sense. I must have created them sometime ago with some bad VB code.

Thank you again and happy Easter.

Michael
Canada

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

> Names can be hidden, so Insert=>Name=>Define may not show them.  In the
> troublesome workbook make a blank sheet active, then go to the VBE
> (Alt+F11), do insert=>Module and paste in the below code.  Then do Alt+F11
> to return to the worksheet and then do Tools=>Macro=>Macros, select
> ShowNames and click run.
>
> Sub ShowNames()
> i = 1
> for each nm in activeWorkbook.Names
>    cells(i,1).Value = nm.name
>    cells(i,2).Value = nm.RefersTo
>    cells(i,3).Value = nm.Visible
>    i = i + 1
> Next
> End Sub
>
> --
> Regards,
> Tom Ogilvy
>
> "Michael31" <rhcp@123.com> wrote in message
> > When I copy a worksheet I get the repeated message box that the
> destination
> > workbook already contains the name "a", "aa", "prntoutline", "ssd", "q"
> and
> > "zz".
> >
> > I have to select yes to each message box to allow the worksheet copy to
> > complete itself.
> >
> > I do not have these names within the worksheet (chekced by
> > Insert>Name>Define).
> >
> > How can I delete these nsmaes that do not seem to exist?
> >
> > Thanks.

Outlining in Protected Sheet
I have a question about a previous code I saw for maintaining outlines in a protected worksheet. DP, if you read this, need your help - the code was one you posted for someone. Before the code, your wrotes: If you already have the outline applied, you can protect the worksheet in code (auto_open/workbook_open??) - What does this mean? The code is as follows: Option Explicit Sub auto_open() With Worksheets("sheet1") .Protect Password:="hi", userinterfaceonly:=True .EnableOutlining = True .EnableAutoFilter = True End With End Sub At the...

Copy/paste/sort
Sheet2 has data in cols A-F which are ordered in numeric order by colA. More rows of data are added weekly. I would like code which will copy all the data from Sheet2 and paste it to Sheet8 (overwriting anything already there) and sort it in ascending order by column C. Rows 1 and 2 of both sheets are constants (headings) and therefore can be omitted fron the copy/paste ranges. Many thanks, -- tia JockW;614328 Wrote: > Sheet2 has data in cols A-F which are ordered in numeric order by colA. > More > rows of data are added weekly. > I would like code which wi...

Server name
How can I find out the name of my server? I need it to install Outlook. Hi Jodi, which server? The POP3, SMTP, the Exchange?.... -- Ich habe nichts gemacht, gestern gings noch! Bitte in den Newsgroup antworten damit jeder etwas davon hat. Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de .. Hi - nobody here will be able to tell you that. Contact your mail administrator or ISP for this information. Jodi wrote: > How can I find out the name of my server? I need it to > install Outlook. ...

USER NAMES
Hi, Like many telesales functions ours has a high staff turnover. In order to keep having to set up new Active Directory and CRM user accounts I was thinking of setting up a generic user accounts called, for example, telesales1, telesales2 etc instead of individual user names. The Active Directory user would therefore be called telesales 1 and within MS CRM instead of user names there would be telesales1, telesales 2 etc. Does anyone have any opinion as to whether there would be any issues with MS CRM and this intended approach? Best regards Lee Lee, As long as these users are truly uni...

name box reseting
does anybody know how to reset the indexing sequence for inserte pictures in the name box on the top left next to the formula bar -- lrod184 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- lrod1843's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2434 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37945 If I close and reopen the workbook, the sequencing seems to start over. But maybe just renaming the pictures (to something significant) would be better. Select the picture and type the name in the namebox. (Remembe...

Too many sheets opening in Excel document
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I don't know what I clicked on but when I make a new Excel document, eight pages open up across my screen. How can I get it down to one page? When I look up help it says to click on the extra pages, go to edit and check delete page. It doesn't work and gives me a funny message. Or is it normal for there to be eight sheets when you start a document? I only see one-and-a-half... The problem is that your screen is too big. To fix it, send me that nasty big screen, and I will send you a smaller one...

Cannot open long file names
Weird glitch when upgrading Win 98 machine to XPPro - Excel will now not open any file name with 27 characters (not including the '.xls suffix') or longer. The error message asks to check file location & spelling. If filename is shortened to 26 characters or less - opens fine. However, after a Excel 97 reinstall, a long file name opened (1st file opened) but excel returned an error along the lines of 'you cannot open more than 1 file with the same name at a time' & on trying to open another long file name, the same error as above. These 'long files' open okay ...

Will not resolve name / password
was not sure where to post this... since yesterday i have not been able to retrieve my email with outlook and MSN I can go though HOTMAIL ( WEB) and get my MSN email anyone else haveing an issue if you use MSN & OUTLOOK.. i have reset the act 3x ... it wwas working fine yesterday morning... here is the error... Task 'MSN - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC18) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login with Secure Password Authentication. Verify your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts.' Thanks David Hi David here you could fi...

Change Full name format to First Last Middle ??
Hi, need to set the name format to First Last Middle but the CRM setting do not cater for that. can anyone assist in the setting? is it possible to add that option in? Thanks in advance On Feb 14, 1:25 pm, dreamerz <dream...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > > need to set the name format to First Last Middle > but the CRM setting do not cater for that. > can anyone assist in the setting? > is it possible to add that option in? > > Thanks in advance Hi, i m someone working on MS CRM from its first version. if u need any help on MS CRM, u can contact me...

Locking a sheet from being deleteable!
Well, I guess the title says it all... Locking a sheet from being deleteable!??? Thanks / Jennifer -- Hamidam ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hamidam's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37138 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=568943 Tools|protect|protect workbook (Protect the structure) No sheet will be able to be moved/deleted/inserted/renamed Hamidam wrote: > > Well, I guess the title says it all... Locking a sheet from being > deleteable!??? > > Than...

Easy, ideally free way to remove all duplicates from many outlook folders wanted
I`ve got about 1.5 gig of emails archived, some of which have been duplicated due to download errors, problems with servers etc. I`m looking for a way to fairly easily remove all the duplicates (which are scattered between many different folders) while still keeping the folder structure as it is. Is there a nice easy way to do this, ideally free? Thanks for your help! -- What am I selling on ebay right now? http://tinyurl.com/38yjc Earn money reading emails! http://tinyurl.com/2pcgm One month FREE spam and fraud protection at http://www.cloudmark.com/safetybarsig/?rc=kmj4hl Versi...

Custom Sheet Look
I just came across a simple excel file on my PC that shows only the spreadsheet (Sheet1) from A1:G25 (Normal White area, with grid lines). The remainder on the screen is dark gray. How is this acheived? I can't seem to find the settings that are producing this view. TIA, Just hide all columns past G and all rows below 25 -- Gary's Student "JMay" wrote: > I just came across a simple excel file on my PC > that shows only the spreadsheet (Sheet1) from > A1:G25 (Normal White area, with grid lines). > The remainder on the screen is dark gray. > How is this a...

how to make a scrollable group of columns/rox in middle of sheet
hey there I was wondering how to make a list of col/row scrollable (either horizontal or vertical) while leaving reast of cells still ? I have seen it done but it is very confusing ... ? thanks Windows>freeze panes or windows>split depending on what you mean Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Simo Sentissi" wrote: > hey there > > I was wondering how to make a list of col/row scrollable (either horizontal > or vertical) while leaving reast of cells still ? > I have seen it done but it is very confusing ... ? > > thanks > > > ...

name checking
In outlook, A user clicked "TO" and selected some (15) contacts to send a email out. After he clicked send it wanted to choose the correct name. I checked his contacts and all had the correct email addresses. When I tried I could not get the same results. It worked with no errors. So what could have caused this? Thanks Daniel ...

frame window title without document name
I know there was a flag or something somewhere to disable the frame window title automatically being updated to reflect the document name. But I forgot. Where, How? Lisa It is the FWS_ADDTOTITLE flag. See http://www.microsoft.com/msj/0198/c0198.aspx -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Lisa Pearlson" <no@spam.plz> wrote in message news:%234wzAh80DHA.4032@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I know there was a flag or something somewhere to disable the frame window > title automatically being updated to reflect the doc...

Receiving Multiple Copies Of Certain Emails
I just switched from Pocomail to Outlook 2007, and find that certain emails (and only certain emails) are downloaded more than once. Specifically, this relates to auto-generated messages from my two blog accounts. I have a Blogger account and a LiveJournal account, both set up to notify me when comments are posted. I'm find I'm receiving four copies of the Blogger notification, and two copies of the LJ notification. This does not happen with emails from any other sender. Any ideas what's going on? Thanks. Hi Merk, have a look on this site : "Why does my Outlook keep r...

Copying entitied
Is it possible to make an exact copy of contacts and istitutions entities, with all custom fields and relatioships included? regards Stella ------=_NextPart_0001_914D900E Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Stella, Thanks for posting in. This is Ken in Online Partner Support. Although I am not 100% sure, using SDK may achieve this by using MetaData Web service but not from the UI. Kind Regards, Ken Microsoft Online Partner Support ====================================================== PLEASE NOTE: The partner managed newsgroups are provided to assist with brea...

Challenge with Time Formatting
Hi! Column A displays like this: 11:48:52. Column B displays AM. When I try to get column A to display with am or pm it converts the time to 12:00:00. I am not sure where the data is coming from, but it is being imported with this data as two seperate fields. Any suggestions?? Thanks! Hi normally a format like hh:mm:ss am should work -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Val B. wrote: > Hi! Column A displays like this: 11:48:52. Column B > displays AM. When I try to get column A to display with > am or pm it converts the time to 12:00:00. I am not sure > wher...

Can I use conditional formatting between two sheets to track chan.
I need to be able to track changes between two sheets. One will be locked and the other able to to be edited. I want to turn any cells blue that are changed and not equal to the static sheet. Conditional formatting won't let me go between two sheets. Is there any other way to do it? Thanks. D Yes you can, you need to use a defined name (insert>name>define) and not something like =Sheet2!A2 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "dawleen" <dawleen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7B66F2D3-8A26-4752-A3D7-FE5B1A4622A0@microsoft.com... > I need to be able ...

insert a row in a protected sheet
hello out there, does anyone know in excel. how do insert a row in a protected sheet without unprotecting the sheet. i have a document where i do not want the formula to be touched in no way form or fashion but i would like my users to constantly add or delete information as they occur and the only way to do this is by inserting or deleting a row to enter information. thanking you all in advance for your continued help. thank you, rennoyinc ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Software! Free Support at http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/ ** Which versio...

Excel 2007
Hello all, I have a little problem to resolve. I have worked on an Excel 2007 sheet and am trying to export it to a tab delimited text file (Save As...) but when the file is exported, and when I open it with a text editor such as Notepad then I view a lot of doublequotes added to some values... Do you have a clue about that ? I'd like to get a text file that has nothing added to it when exporting it... Thanks Excel does what it thinks is right. You could use a macro and write code and have complete control over what you write. Here are three sites that you could steal some code from:...

copy comments to word
Hi, I'm having difficulties writing code to copy comments to word. I'm confused on the "Selection" and/or "Range" Values and how to use them in this situation. I need to be able to highlight a range of cells in excel... Then, copy all the comments in the selected area to a word document. I have ran across code that will copy the whole workbooks comments but that is not needed for this. Thanks for all the help. Strikker The following code will copy the comments in the selected range to Word: '============================== Sub CopySelectionCommentsToWord...

Is there a best practices FAQ, for using Volume Shadow Copy with Exchange 2003 databases?
We have Exchange 2003 Enterprise running on Windows 2003 Standard. I would like to start taking 'snapshots' of the log and database volumes regularly (4 times daily), as a way to do immediate interval restores of our Exchange DBs rather than having to dump from tape. Is there a best practices document, for doing this? Thanks in advance. NTBackup does not do snapshots of Exchange. You would need to find a 3rd party backup product that supports that. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "Robert Gordon" <Robert.Gordon@nospam.dslextreme.com> wrote in message ...

Name mapping?
i didn't know where to put this, so it's going in general. I'm making a shell database program. i'll be using the database for different customers but the same value types will be used. i'll have values like Analog1, analog2, analog3.....digita1, digital2, digital3, Parameter1, Parameter2, and the like for times, dates, text fields. The reasoning behind this is there is another program that will dump the data into the DB, and we're trying to standardize taht, so we write one data dump, and have a good DB shel that we can make reports/forms for each project. now...

Different Names Count
Hi guys Hope someone can help Here is an example of what I am trying to do Cell range A1 - A12 Bob James Jill George Tracy Mike Bob Philip Graham Jack James Bob Different names = 9 Ignore repeated names, except once What formula would I need to put in cell A13 to give me this figure? Thank you in advanced Ravi Sandhu One way: A13: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A12<>"")/COUNTIF(A1:A12,A1:A12&"")) In article <t0BXc.469$ZC5.190@newsfe2-win.ntli.net>, "Ravi Sandhu" <ravisandhu@mail.com> wrote: > Hi guys > > Hope someone can help ...