Sheet Protection

I am trying to protect specific rows and columns on a worksheet.  I select
all, go to protection and uncheck the locked cells box.  Then highlight the
rows and columns I want protected, go back in to lock the cells via right
click>format cells and it tells me "Cannot change part of a merged cell."
what am I doing wrong here?

As far as I can see what you are doing is right.

I have just checked what you have done in EXCEL 2007 and do not get the same
warning: it works for me.

Where are the merged cells? In the protected range or out of it? I tested
with both and it seemed to make no difference (it worked either way).

"Me" wrote:

> I am trying to protect specific rows and columns on a worksheet.  I select
> all, go to protection and uncheck the locked cells box.  Then highlight the
> rows and columns I want protected, go back in to lock the cells via right
> click>format cells and it tells me "Cannot change part of a merged cell."
> what am I doing wrong here?
Select the "Entire" merged cell. You apparently have a "merged cell"
that is part in the "locked" area, and part in the "UNlocked" area.

Me wrote:

> I am trying to protect specific rows and columns on a worksheet.  I select
> all, go to protection and uncheck the locked cells box.  Then highlight the
> rows and columns I want protected, go back in to lock the cells via right
> click>format cells and it tells me "Cannot change part of a merged cell."
> what am I doing wrong here?

0
Bob
2/2/2010 4:38:12 PM
IMO what you are doing wrong is using merged cells. Merged cells cause issues
with copy and paste and macros and... A better option to merged cells is to
change the alignment to center across  selection.

1. Unmerge the Cells
2. Select the cells you had Merged.
3. Format | Cells... |Aligment tab -> Horizontal -> Center Across Selection

Looks the same as a merged cells but with none of the drawbacks.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Me" wrote:

> I am trying to protect specific rows and columns on a worksheet.  I select
> all, go to protection and uncheck the locked cells box.  Then highlight the
> rows and columns I want protected, go back in to lock the cells via right
> click>format cells and it tells me "Cannot change part of a merged cell."
> what am I doing wrong here?

how to protect different ranges of cells
How do I protect different ranges of cells in excel when they are not adjacent to each other? Please give me a step by step description as this will be my first time successfully comprehending this proceedure, Select your first range. hit and hold the control key and select your second range. Format|cells|protection tab check the Locked checkbox. Remember that locking cells won't do much until you protect the worksheet (tools|protection|protect sheet). And depending on how many cells you want locked and how many you want unlocked, it might be easier to set all the cells one way (lock...

Enlarging spread sheet for printing?
Hi, I am using Microsoft Excel for Mac. I have the feeling that this is really simple, but I'm having serious brain freeze. I am trying to print a spreadsheet. I would like it to print on a full page, but it is coming out really small, even though it is large enough on normal view. I have tried to change my font size, and pulled the document out completely to a larger size in normal view, but it still doesn't change when I do my print preview. I have tried to make my page breaks larger to fit the entire page hoping this would stretch it out to no avail. Even though I am ...

How do I junk mail Protect ?
How do I junk mail Protect? And virus Protect Dear, Outlool 2003 have a feature of junk email protection, For Virus you need to have an Antivirus program - Norton or Mcafee etc.. -- (Please respond to this question Was this post helpful to you?) Hope this helps you more Regards APK "Akhter Hossain" wrote: > How do I junk mail Protect? And virus Protect "Akhter Hossain" <Akhter Hossain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4DBA5AB0-D5EA-4F6B-BAA4-291B669784A5@microsoft.com... > How do I junk mail Protect? And virus Protect www.spampal.org ...

Possible to copy sheets into another (closed!) workbook?
Hi there Would anyone know how I can copy some worksheets into another workbook which is closed. The files are so big that I can't open them both at the same time. Thank you very much! Manuel Do it in batches. Open bigfile1 and copy the sheets to a new workbook. Close bigfile1 and open bigfile2. Copy the sheets from newbook to bigfile2. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On 17 Feb 2005 16:25:39 -0800, "Grotifant" <mschlabbers@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi there > >Would anyone know how I can copy some worksheets into another workbook >which is closed. The files are so b...

protecting a text box in spreadshhet
This is defeating me I have a text box in an excel sheet, I can protect the sheet ok but the text box always remains unprotected (ie the user could change the text) How do I protect it? thank you. Un-protect the sheet Right-click on edge of TextBox and Format TextBox>Protection Protect the sheet. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 16:42:21 +0100, "SS" <nonense50@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: >This is defeating me I have a text box in an excel sheet, I can protect the >sheet ok but the text box always remains unprotected (ie the user could >ch...

How can I set up a program 8 by 11 folding the sheet in quarters
I am trying to print a church progam with one sheet of paper making four pages by folding the sheet in quarters. I have not figured out how to set this up with pubisher. -- Imanuker Imanuker wrote: > I am trying to print a church progam with one sheet of > paper making four pages by folding the sheet in quarters. > I have not figured out how to set this up with pubisher. ================================ This may be what you are seeking. Go to...Blank Publications / Side Fold Card or Top Fold Card. -- ******John Inzer******** **MS Picture It! MVP** *****Digital Image****** H...

i need an example of a hourly and weekely pay sheet
i need to create a paysheet that will allow me to pay my employees per hour. "azure" <azure@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8DD3F54C-3077-4D5E-B4C4-011DE0F73901@microsoft.com... > i need to create a paysheet that will allow me to pay my employees per hour. So, what you need then is:- EmployeeName, HoursWorked, HourlyRate, TotalPay where TotalPay = HoursWorked*HourlyRate ...

Multiple Charts within 1 Chart Sheet
How can I place 2,3, or 4 charts within 1 chart sheet? I'd prefer not to use the embedded chart approach. Thanks. They will be embedded, but in the chart sheet, not in a work sheet. Select a blank cell that is itself surrounded by blank cells, and press the F11 key to make a blank chart sheet. Now make the charts you want to place on the chart sheet, and in the last step of the wizard, Location, select As Object In and choose the chart sheet from the drop down list. To move an existing chart, right click on it, choose Location from the pop up menu, and choose As Object In and select the ...

Protection Groups
We will be replacing our Exchange 2003 Server with a 2007 Exchange server with a different name. Can I use the same Exchange Protection Group that is setup for exchange 2003 with the new Exchange 2007? If I need to create a new protection group can I remove the old Protection Group. Thanks LeonardG If you want to use older protection group, try modify protection group and add the Exchange storage groups from the new 2007 server. This way same protection/recovery configurations will be applicable to new Exchange storage groups also. But if you want to completely diff...

hiding columns, error message says cannot shift objects off sheet
Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error message says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet'. WHat does this mean and how do I work around it? Thanks! hi, excel thinks that there is data in column IV. excel by default cannot shift data off the sheet ie beyound column IV or below row 65536. solution. highlight all the column to the right of your data and hit the delete key. that should fix it. >-----Original Message----- >Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error message >says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet&...

reversing the sheet
When I create a new workbook in Excel the program has reversed the numbers and letters. What can I do to fix it? Tools>options>international and select default direction left to right -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Moreken" <Moreken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54B0C062-6769-43F9-898A-DC399B825AC3@microsoft.com... > When I create a new workbook in Excel the program has reversed the numbers > and letters. What can I do to fix it? > ...

Overdraft protection
I have a VISA credit card that automatically puts money in my bank checking account if my checking account balance goes negative due to overdrawing the account. In Money 2008, how do I categorize this transaction? Currently I'm calling it Other Income, but I don't think that is correct. Any suggestions. Tks. Ken "kenard1" <kenard1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:0B977820-2CB9-46FE-BD2B-5D729258DEE3@microsoft.com... >I have a VISA credit card that automatically puts money in my bank = checking=20 > account if my checking account balance goes...

Event Triggered in Wrong Sheet
Hi, I am using excel 2003 and have a workbook with 2 sheets and the code below in "ThisWorkbook". Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate Worksheets("Sheet1").Select If Range("A1") = "" Then Cancel = True Range("A1").Select MsgBox ("Type in the missing data...") GoTo ExitNow End If ExitNow: End Sub If I leave cell A1 on Sheet1 blank, then click on Sheet2 and try to print, it will place the curs...

sheet names and representing a date
Hi I have a workbook that each sheet tab needs to be named the after a particular date in its worksheet. This is so that the contents can be imported into a database as they are updated. The dates have to be presented "yyyymmdd" with no dividers. Obviously it is a representation of a date and not the real thing. I am always getting errors because currently the sheets are being named manually with many mistakes. The sheet name comes from an actual date in cell E5 I have some vba to do it, but it is clumsy, using year month and day functions combined with conditional statements to al...

How to link sheets/cells over web
So the questions is as follows: I have a loads of different excel workbooks which are linked to on "total"sheet that gathers the information from all sheets. Now I hav to store them into a web folder and I can't link them the way I hav linked them now. Now the formula is like this 'C:\=[Book2.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1. And now when I put them to this we folder every workbook get its own http address and I should someho change the path C:\... with web address. Is it possible and how? Thanks ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTi...

add watermark to excel sheet
i want to add watermark to excel sheet , but can't do that . is it possible ? and how? See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0005.html Excel FAQs - Watermarks -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "mhumood" <mhumood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3C74F2E2-1645-47E2-AB16-DB76DC250A6D@microsoft.com... > i want to add watermark to excel sheet , but can't do that . is it possible ? > and how? ...

Loading Data into Multiple sheets in 1 book Hi All I have 2 questions 1. I am trying to automatically create a workbook with a number of sheets in it with different data. I see how the command mode allows you to feed data to a (one/first) sheet (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\excel.exe" H:\':DETAIL.XFER.SHORT.FILENAME) but how do you get data to sheets 2 3 4 etc in the workbook? 2. Can you format the data going into the work sheet such that some of the data would have bold text? Thanks in advance Ralph Typically you do not import data into Excel via the command line. ...

How to disable Window File protection system
Hello, I need to implement a class that disbales Windows File Protection (WFP) untill next reboot and that shouldn't require Rebooting the system. Please help me out if anyone has idea about it, Regards Amit ...

Sheet moves at print time, loos fine at preview
When I preview the spread sheet the vertical relationship between the spreadsheet and the header looks fine, no space, but after I print it there is extra space between the header and the spreadsheet. What causes this? What am doing wrong? Thanks, Erich Check your left margin to see if all the row numbers are sequential. You may have accidentally decreased the row height on row 2 and yo can't see the space in print preview, but it's there when you print. If that's the case, select the whole row, right click and select Ro Height to adjust the height -- DataCollecto ---------...

Protecting cells in a sheet
HI, There s a sheet in which my staff keeps accounts of the cash received. Every week, i check the sheet and we tally accounts. Now my requirement is that she should not be able to modify any cell which i have already checked. But she should be permitted to enter data in my new cell, like adding new rows. Some way i can lock the cells after i have checked them. What s the best way i cud do this in Excel 2k? Thanks for any tips. Ramesh Ramesh Yes, there is a way you can do that. The procedure is as follows: A cell is protected if it is locked AND the sheet is protected. You ...

Password protect cells
I have a sheet that people need to enter data into, but I have a problem with people deleting the formulas in other cells. Does anyone know if there is a way to password protect one or several cells without protecting the entire sheet? You can lock cells or unlock cells (format|cells|protection tab). After you lock/unlock cells, you can protect the worksheet (tools|protection|protect sheet) When the worksheet is protected, the user won't be able to changed the locked cells, but will be able to change the values in the unlocked cells. There are other things that are disabled when the...

Formula which includes new sheets too?
Hi all, I don't know if this is possible, but any suggestions would be much appreciated! I have a spreadsheet with a few sheets, 1 for each site and then a Summary sheet which displays totals. eg. Site 1 shows how much has been fee'd for that site in each month, and the Summary Sheet shows how much has been fee'd for all sites in that month, by using a formula which takes the value's from each sheet. Is there a way of editing the formula so it will automatically include cell H3 for any sheet, including any new sheets added, without me having to amend the formulas? T...

Unlink chart from sheet
How can I replace ranges in a chart's SERIES formula with their current values? I know how to do this in Excel, but how would I do this in VBA? Thanks If you know how to do it in Excel, have you tried recording a macro to see what the VBA would look like to do the same thing? That would be my first step. HTH, Eric "Gerry Verschuuren" wrote: > How can I replace ranges in a chart's SERIES formula with their current > values? I know how to do this in Excel, but how would I do this in VBA? Thanks You can store your chart data as arrays in the rele...

How do I print multiple pages on 1 sheet of A4 in Publisher 2002
Hi all, This is something that I have not been able to figure out but I expect is straight forward or impossible to do. I have a small page size (4" x 6") and so two of these pages will fit neatly onto an A4 sheet of paper. I can see how to print multiple COPIES of a page onto a single sheet, but I can't figure out how to print multiple pages onto a single sheet. If I choose to only print a single copy per page, Publisher decides to plonk the page in the middle on the A4 sheet. I can't see any option to get more than one page printed side by side. Any Ideas Chris ...

Protecting Data in Excel
Hi world Can anyone tell me if its possible to share access (on the same PC) to a worksheet but ensure that once data has been entered into a field it can't be deleted or altered without an administrator level access? If not anyone have any ideas what a suitable alternative may be? Many thanks Protection in Excel IMO should only ever really be considered as a means of preventing unintended changes to data. There is no level of protection you can set, where I couldn't gain access to any piece of data in whatever sheet you had me work with. Same goes for pretty much all of the...