Sharing a workbook

One of our departments is sharing a workbook on a network
drive.  One of them called me this morning and said he
wasn't seeing all of the changes he made yesterday.  He
closed the book and then opened it again and said he then
saw part of the changes he made yesterday.  Does anyone
know any reason why he wouldn't be seeing them?
This file is getting very large (11,614KB) and is taking a
long time to save.  There are 3-4 people sharing this
workbook. Thanks

0
anonymous (74722)

"Bert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> One of our departments is sharing a workbook on a network
> drive.  One of them called me this morning and said he
> wasn't seeing all of the changes he made yesterday.  He
> closed the book and then opened it again and said he then
> saw part of the changes he made yesterday.  Does anyone
> know any reason why he wouldn't be seeing them?
> This file is getting very large (11,614KB) and is taking a
> long time to save.  There are 3-4 people sharing this
> workbook. Thanks

Shared workbook disasters.  I've never been much of a fan of these even
though we use them here.  I would, regularly, switch the workbook to stand
alone and back to shared.  Also, set track changes in advanced to 'Don't
keep change history' to try and keep workbook size under control.

Kind Regards

Andy B

Sharing .pst files over a network
When opening a .pst file from our network, I am losing the checkmark in the box called "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" under Properties/Outlook Address Book tab. How can I configure the .pst file to keep that box checked when transferred over our network? Thanks. Todd ...

Setting up Resources
I am running SBS2003 and would like our conference rooms to have shared calendars in our address book so that we can access them and invite them to meetings. Not sure how to do this. Thanks in advance for any help! Child - You will need to create a mailbox-enabled user in ADUC. Once that is done you will need to create an Outlook profile for this mailbox. You can either use the new users crendentials are give yourself "full mailbox" access to the mailbox to open it using your crendentials. Once the mailbox is opened go to Tools, Options, click Calendar Options. Click the Resourc...

Linked Workbooks #2
I have a workbook, file A, saved on a shared server and I am the only one with write access. Another department has another read only file, B on their shared server. We have linked cells between files. When either file is opened, the person is asked to open it as read only, this in OK but they are also asked if they want to up-date the link. Question (1). Is there any way of making the link up-date happen without prompting the user? Question (2). The linked cells in both files are formatted as text. If I up-date file A and some of those linked cells in file A are blank, the linked c...

Running code from another workbook
I save my workbooks on close and this resaves all of the code again and again which slowes down the process. So I wanted to run the code from another workbook or ADDIN I dont understand ADDIN's I have tried opening the other workbook then call the code normally or with Workbookname!module2.procedure this did not work However if you record a macro with the macro recorder and save it to another workbook you can run it on the first workbook. I then recorded that to see how it was being done and I got Application.Run "Book2!Macro1" this did not work for me with my code though. Wh...

Excel Hyperlinks on Server mapped to other shares dont work.
Ok i'm about to open up a ticket with microsoft but i figured i would post here first. here is the situation. we have a server lets call it server1. in that server their are a bunch of shares lets call them share1, share2, share3. and in the shares their are excel files and various other things. All of our clients are now using office 2003. if i have a excel file and i save it in \\Server1\share1\folder\file1.xls and i insert a hyperlink though any method (i.e. typing it, browsing, whatever). to a file in the \\server1\share1 directory everything works just fine. but if insert a hy...

Re: H E L P * * * Need help with question about protecting a range of cell in workbook
I need to know how to protect a range of cell/s in a workbook ...

shared source System.Xml
Hi, I downloaded the shared source cli and change XPathParser from internal to public and added a public static void test(){} method. Then i put the new compiled System.Xml.dll into the visual studio .net reference list of a small ConsoleApplication. i called the method via: XPathParser.test() Compiling worked without problems, but executing it throws a MissingMethodException. Can anybody help me why the executable can't find the added method in System.Xml.dll? This is really strange. thanx for any hint from you stefan Stefan Lischke wrote: > I downloaded the shared sou...

Sharing a database
I've searched this forum, but cant find an answer, so im hoping someone can help. I work in a small office, we have 3 computers and an additonal server all networked together (with cables). We have recently come across some software to make our job easier, its in the form of an Access database. This piece of software is designed to be opened and edited on multiple computers at the same time, yet i cant get it to function as such. It appears that all 3 computers can access the same database (i.e. modify the same data), but not at the same time (like it was designed to). I'm act...

How to share info from one file to another?
I am wondering how I can share something perhaps from a cell of "file 1 to "file 2." I am familiar with how to do it from worksheet t worksheet within a single file. From what I have heard I know that i can be done but both files have to be located in the same folder. Correct me if I am wrong and please tell me briefly how it can be done I appologize if this is a newbie question. Thanks Chip Carlto -- ChipCarlto ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ChipCarlton's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&useri...

Hyperlink text from linked workbook
I have a seperat workbook for each of my clients with the clientno as the filename i.e. 1001.xlsm, 1002.xlsm etc. All these files are in lets say c:/docs. First sheet in each clientworkbook is "Factsheet". In each factsheet A1 states the clientname. In the same directory I have my mastersheet. In the first column I have the client numbers. In the second column I want to have the hyperlinkformulas that, based on the value in 1. column, makes the link to the relevant clientworkbook AND with the clientname picked up from the linked workbook Factsheet!A1 as the linktext ...

Excel integration of models in various workbooks
I have a few different models in seperate excel workbooks ... one for cars, one for houses, one for retirement accounts.. I recently had the idea to take outputs from each of these models and plug them into a single workbook something like life.xls. What I'm wondering is if there is a way to wrap them (the house and car models) with an interface (VBA?) which I can pass parameters and can call from a macro in life.xls to retrieve the output from. Essentially I'd like each of the workbooks (house,..cars) to be like a callable function into which I can pass parameters, and which return...

Paste Filtered Range to New Workbook- AS
Hello, I recorded a macro and additionally used the DG help to construct the following macro; however, I'm not certain how to copy the filtered range (which will vary every time the worksheet is used) or how to find the last row of the workbook to which the data will be pasted. Any help would be great! And thanks in advance. Sub Macro1() Dim wbname As String Dim copyrange As Range Dim LastRow As Range Dim rng As Range ' Macro1 Macro ' Macro recorded 12/8/2009 by asagay ' wbname = ActiveSheet.Range("g1").Value & ActiveSheet.Range("j1&qu...

Sharing Outlook calendar #2
Hi, I'm still very confused on the most appropriate way to share my calendar. I use Outlook working off Exchange Server. I need clients (who either use Outlook or Lotus Notes) to be able to see when I am free so that they can schedule meetings with me. I don't want them to see what my meetings are, just when I am free and when I am busy. Can anybody help? Thanks, Saul Oh yes, I'm using Outlook 2003. Not sure which version of Outlook clients are using (if they aren't using Notes). saul_margolis@hotmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I'm still very confused on the...

How to refer to a workbook?
I usually need to refer to other books during a macro. Lets consider a simple sample as follows: Sub SpclMcro() Dim SrcWS As Worksheet Dim DstWS As Worksheet Dim SrcWB As Workbook Dim Dst As Workbook Dim Src As Range, Dest As Range Set Src = Application.InputBox("WHAT?", , , , , , , 8) Set Dest = Application.InputBox("WHERE?", , , , , , , 8) MsgBox Src.Workbook.Name Src.Copy Dest End Sub How can I get the name of the workbook of a cell/range as in: MsgBox Src.Workbook.Name Furthermore how to select a destination in ANY other workbook because during ...

Linking between workbooks and getting #REF error
I am trying to link several excel files into a consolidated excel file. I already linked 3 files to the consolidated, but when I attempt to link the 4th, I am getting a #REF error. Here is what I am doing: I am highlighting the array I want to link from the individual file to the consolidated file. I copy that section. I go to the consolidated file, and paste special. I choose Paste Link: Microsoft Excel 8.0 Format. The consolidated file shows the #REF after doing so. I did the same process for the previous three files, and everything worked fine. Can anyone help? Thanks, TM ...

Time Card Reports - Looking for an Improved One
can someone please share with me an improved Time Card Report? cfo@virtualmagic.net.nospam (please remove the NO spam) Thanks a lot J I forwarded this to John M. He made one that works better -- Elizabeth M. "ParkRanger" <bfgpaintball.com> wrote in message news:eNEc$aomEHA.3608@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > can someone please share with me an improved Time Card Report? > > cfo@virtualmagic.net.nospam (please remove the NO spam) > > Thanks a lot > > J > > Still waiting :( "Elizabeth" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

countif links to another workbook not working
The links update fine if the other workbook is open, and all the other links update just fine even though the other workbook isn't open So the only links that don't work with the other workbook closed is the countif formula Any ideas? Sorry don't know why but I experience exactely the same problem wit Sumifs in link -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Maybe you could rewrite your formula using =sumproduct() (which will work with closed workbooks): =SUMPRODUCT(--('C:\My Documents\excel\[book1.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$30=D8), 'C:\My Documents\e...

Copy tabs(sheets) from workbook without link to original source
I want to be able to copy tabs from workbook to workbook. However, when I right-click..'choose Move or Copy' and copy the tab into a new workbook, the formula now contains the original source file name. For example, a simple calc, contained on Sheet2 of my source (book1.xls): =+Sheet1!A1+Sheet1!A2 becomes =+[book1.xls]Sheet1!A1+[book.xls]Sheet1!A2 when it's pasted into a new workbook. I do not want to original link contained in the new workbook. How can I copy the worksheet without having that orignal source file name in the formula? Thanks, Rich Here's one workarou...

OPOS Printer not sharing
Hi, Am using RMS2.0 and printer is Bixolon SRP-350. OPOS driver installed is Bixolon Samsung OPOS Printer Driver V4.0.7. When I try to access the OPOS printer from another application while POS active, its throwing errors. When POS is not active, we are able to print to OPOS printer with out any issue. In RMS Manager, we have checked the OPOS printer sharing to true. EPSON printers are working while SRP-350 printers while we try to access the OPOS printers from other applications while POS is active. Did anyone came such an Issue? Please help -- Boss Here is what I have found in th...

Share Calendars Without Exchange
Hello, Is there a way so share and/or create calendars or group calendars. I tried the publich free/busy times in Outlook 2003, but it would never publish. Travis See if the information on the following page helps: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:bp36qc0573@enews1.newsguy.com, Travis Rabe wrote: > Hello, > > Is there a way so share and/or create calendars or group calendars. > I tr...

Shared Workbook #11
I have created a shared workbook - when I allow others to use it - it does not keep my setting of Automatically update every 5 minutes it goes back to 15 minutes. How can I keep it at 5 minutes no matter who opens the workbook? ...

Share Cash Draw in RMS
I'm new to RMS, and looking to go through certification shortly, in the meantime .. Is it possible to have multiple terminals share a single reciept Printer and cash draws? how do you set it up? You would have to set the printer up to use Windows drivers rather than OPOS - then just share the printer on the network. I would NOT recommend sharing the cash drawer - you will have a terrible time trying to close (Z report) the registers and balance the cash drawer. Set it up in the lab - I think you'll see what I mean very quickly... Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www...

Email scans disappearing from mailboxes in shared profiles
I have a user that views her's and one others mailbox. She can scan from the copier to herself and him. When she opens the scan in her email, it disappears out of his after a couple moments. Anyone have any idea? It's hard to comment without knowing your setup. My wild guess is Outlook view is set to view Unread messages in the folder. What Outlook version is it? Is there Exchange server in this scenario (I'm guessing there is). How's outlook setup (connect to Exchange mailbox or SMTP/POP3)? <jeffrswope@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1193179866.180856.34590@v...

share outlook 2002 contacts & calendar without Exchange
I'm pretty sure that in one of my earlier installations of Outlook 2002 I shared my contacts and calendar with a friend of mine via e-mail. I do not not have I ever had access to an exchange server. Can one do this in Outlook 2002 or do you have to upgrade to Outlook XP or something? Thanks Leon 1) Outlook 2002 = Outlook XP (not that Outlook XP is the proper name for the program) 2) Were you using Outlook 2000 and NetFolders before? Those were buggy and removed from OL2002. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003...