Shared Workbooks Locking Up

A group of three of us share an Excel 2000 workbook in which project data and
calculations are stored.  The problem is that the workbook will frequently
cause Excel to lock up when attempting to load it.  Excel must then be
forcibly closed via Task Manager to clear the lockup.  Usually, if the
workbook is then loaded from a different machine, it will load OK and can be
re-saved, at which point the user whose program locked up will again be able
to load it.

Occasionally, however, it will not load for anyone, and we need to
reconstruct it by using Access to pull out the raw data.  This is becoming a
serious hindrance, and negates whatever advantage having a shared workbook
might have given us.  Can anyone tell me what might be causing this problem,
and how to fix it?
0
rastus (1)

Purge deleted items from shared mailbox
How can I purge the folder "deleted items" from a shared mailbox? The RM menu item is greyed out. Environment: Outlook 2003/Exchange 2003. What permission do you have on the deleted folder? can you delete them if you open the folder and select all, Del? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook &...

creating links inside a workbook.
I would like to put a working table of contents into my workbook. In other words, I would like to list all of the sheet names on a master page and allow the user to jump to that page simply by clicking the page's name. Any suggestions? Please and Thank You!!!! Use the Hyperlink feature. Just do a Insert> HyperLink>. Choose place in this document. Then select the tab you want to link to. "Angelica" <Angelica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94B5487B-A816-4BE3-B43A-701863DCFE76@microsoft.com... >I would like to put a working table of content...

accessing shared calendar in outlook 2007
Person A has shared his calendar with person B(with B as an editor) so that B can accept meeting requests, change location/time for a meeting which will be attended by A. Person B could do that on his computer and view A's calendar, make changes using Outlook 2007. Person B got a new computer so outlook 2007 was configured on the new machine so that B could access his emails, calendars and contacts as well as A's calendar. On the new computer B can view his calendar, emails, but cannot access(view) A's calendar which he was able to do on his old computer. A is out of town ...

shared workbook issue
Hello All - I am using Excel 2007 and have a shared workbook that is also password protected. One user of the workbook attempted to save changes and received an error message that reads: "Caution: You are attempting to save a shared workbook that is also protected with a password. Portions of the file, including the change history, will not be encrypted. To help ensure the security of your file, unshare the workbook or delete the change history from the document. Do you want to save this file?" I would like to keep this as a shared workbook, so I attempted to delete t...

DAO and Table Locking
Greetings, I've written some code to create a relationship between table A and table B. The code looks something like this: Set rel = db.CreateRelation("A_B") rel.Table = "A" rel.ForeignTable = "B" Set fld = rel.CreateField("AID") fld.ForeignName = "BID" rel.Fields.Append fld db.Relations.Append rel This code works just fine except that a few lines later, I use DLookup() to find a row in table B, but I then get an error that table B is exclusively locked and cannot be accessed. Can anyone clarify why table B has been...

Share Point & MS CRM
In notes section, how to attach a document link on the SPS server to the MS CRM? When creating a note It only uses Upload method.. ...

password for workbook
Hello, How can i set the workbook so that when opened, a dialogu appears asking for password to open up the workbook before being abl to read or Read/write anything.... Thanks a lot From Joh -- Neo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Neo1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3032 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=53146 One simple way, although the password input is not masked '----------------------------------------------------------------- Private Sub Workbook_Open() '...

Smaller workbooks?
Hi. My Excel 2000 workbook has just increased in size from 1mb to just under 8mb !! I have added a few formulae and a long VBA macro. The workbook has 14 sheets, no graphics and quite a bit of conditional formatting. The VBA adds formulae to the various sheets on an 'as required' basis - if 30 rows are needed, then the macro adds formulae to about 20 columns on 30 rows. Thats all it does. I just did a bit more work to it and the size jumped.... Any suggestions on how to get it smaller again? Thanks. Jim Hi Jim, Does Ctrl+End properly identify your last cell or is it way down...

copy data from one worksheet to identical sheet in different workbook
I want to essentially sync the data between 2 identical worksheets in different workbooks. Essentially, I want to import and replace data in the second sheet with data from the first, is there a simple way to do this without deleting the worksheet and then copying the new sheet into the workbook? Thanks You can right-click on your source-sheetname tab, the shortmenu will reflect Copy/MoveSheet.... Select it and make 2 other choices: 1) Check to Create Copy box at bottom 2) From dropdown box at top of screen select an existing open workbook or select new-workbook. OK HTH "a...

how do i semi-lock a group of cells to allow lookups formula...
how do i semi-lock a group of cells to allow lookups formulas without allowing user changes Do you mean you want to be able to reference these cells in lookup formulas contained in other cells? If so, leaving these cells locked (Format | Cells | Protection), and then Protecting the Sheet (from teh Tools Menu) should be enough. You may want to make sure you have Select Locked and Select Unlocked Cells Checked, if a list of Protection Options pops up (Excel 2002 and later). tj "quander" wrote: > how do i semi-lock a group of cells to allow lookups formulas without > allo...

Searching a Differnt worksheet in the same workbook.
So what I need to do is have a colum D that searches Sheet1, column E for a certain text string entered in a different sheet (either 2 or 3) column D. If they match I want the cell in column E, sheet 2 or 3 to return a text of "Found" and if there is no match I want the cell to be blank. I've been looking in these forums and have a feeling it can be done, I just can't figure out how. Thanks. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Dear Cre...

shared workbook opens slowly
I have a workbook that uses conditional formating etc has 60 worksheets one for each week and 8 for info for drop down lists and the size is 10 mb. I have shared it via a windows 2003 severer but it takes along time to open any thoughts as to what I may have done wrong Since you have 60 worksheets with conditional formatting and the same is used by many persons in sharing mode will make excel to open the file slowly. Try to Remove unwanted worksheets from your workbook and on daily basis or two days once Remove the sharing and give Cntrl+S and apply the sharing. While doing ...

Minimizing Windows Locks Manager
I have a weird problem that occurs on all computers and I can't seem to find any information on it. Can someone please confirm it is an issue? V1.3.0206 running on XP fully patched. Steps to Reproduce 1. Open Manager 2. Open Suppliers Window 3. Open Customers Window 4. Minimize Suppliers from behind Customers This causes the entire Manager program to lock up with focus flicking back and forth between the two windows. This happens for any Windows within Manager. Have I got some weird setting configured or does this happen for everyone? This is a multi-part message in MIME format....

Saving workbook #2
We are sharing some excel books on netwrok by using several "my briefcase" linking to one master file. We cannot modify the file and update to the master file at the same time - as the computer refuse to merge them together. Is there any method that it can go real multiuser. Hi you may try the following: sub save_with_cell() Dim fname fname = worksheets("sheet1").range("A1").value fname = fname & ".xls" ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=fname end sub You should add some error checking to this (does the files exist, etc.) -- Regards Fr...

Shared Exchange Hosting
(english version below) Hallo. Ik heb de schone taak om op een server draaiende onder Server2003, met Exchange2003 en een active directory meedere bedrijven gebruik te laten maken van Exchange. Ik snap dat er dan meerdere forest en smtp-servers opgezet moeten worden, maar verder loop ik volledig vast en tast in het duister. Ik heb MCSA2000 gedaan, maar 2003 is een tikkel(tje) anders. Ik zie het even helemaalniet meer. Is er iemand die ervaring heeft met Shared Exchange Hosting en is deze persoon bereid mijn wat tips, url's, digitale uitleg, etc. te geven ? Ik zou het heel erg fijn vinden....

sharing database and getting notification when new entries are mad
I am new to Access but here's what I am trying to do. I want to put a database on a network share that will be used by several people who will be able to add in records. I would like to be notified via email when new entries are made, how would I go about doing that? Why would you want that? When the db is used frequently you'll be bombarded with emails. You might have to figure out first what it is you want to be updated for. If you want it all you will create a lot of networktraffic just by sending constant emails. Not to mention the fact that you have to catch every insert...

Print Workbook
Hi, I've looked around and seen one answer to this that suggests a macro with a button, but I don't want to go down that route. So - how do I make excel print the whole workbook when print is selected? I have a workbook with 3 worksheets, and the users will need to print off all 3 to return to me. Rather than risk them print off only one and return that, if it auto prints all 3 I should guarantee that i get all 3 returned. Thanks, You might try this. Put this code in your workbook's ThisWorkbook module: Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Worksheets....

where excel opens a workbook
I have some documentation in an excel workbook. Each worksheet contain information. I have several users who can edit the information. Whe they save the file it opens in the condition they had it in when the saved. Is there a way to force all sheets to location A1 and open to certain worksheet each time -- mikegosp ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mikegospo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=338 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27162 Hi only with a macro. That is insert...

Copy worksheet into current workbook
This is a new problem I'm having. In the past I've been able to copy worksheets into the existing workbook and am now getting the following error. Microsoft Visual Basic: File not found: 'C:\Docume~1\[computer name]\Locals~1\Temp\VB24.tmp This is only happening in particular workbooks, as I am able to copy worksheets in others. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! ...

Excel Workbook- Can't open file once any changes are made
Hello everyone- I am running Windows XP with Excel 2002 (verison 10.6501.6626 with SP3 and I just completed developing a fairly large Excel workbook wit numerous worksheets and macros. If I send the file to a handful o other people, they are all able to open the workbook and make change with out getting any problems (They can change the file name itself o make changes to the cells within the workbook). Here's my problem: On my computer I can open the base version of th workbook without getting any error messages. However, if I make an changes (no matter how simple, like changing text...

Adding shared contacts as address book.
We are running Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2000 and 2003. I have to people who share Contacts and would like to have the shared persons Contacts show up as an Address Book. There is no "Share this folder as an Outlook Address Book" shared Contacts. Any ideas? The process of adding another user's Contacts folder to your own address book display is somewhat involved. You will need to be able to create -- at least temporarily -- an Outlook profile that opens another user's mailbox as the primary mailbox. Proceed with these steps while logged in under your own Windows account,...

Template getting locked by xls
I'm using a template on a network and occasionally, one remote use seems to be locking the template. (template in use by xxx) Users all click on a template shortcut to open workbook based o template. Only one user has this happen. Any ideas? Ja -- jama ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jamaz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1663 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31994 Hi is this user doing something differently?. e.g. trying to open the template itself? -- Regards Fra...

Locking A Sheet Using Words & Numbers
Before I got Office 2007 I was able to lock a spreadsheet using a word combined with numbers, i.e., locksheet123. Now I can't lock it using that formula I can only lock it using words, i.e., locksheet. If I try to put in the full words & numbers it allows me to do it in the first window, but when it asks for verification, in the second window, it tells me there's an error and I can't do it. -- Thanks, Mumsy This is a silly guess... I'm gonna guess that you made a typo -- either in the letters or numbers -- or even hit caps lock. I'd try it again ...

Lock file for editing - Using Windows SDK
Using Windows SDK - Create File I am using CreateFile to open the file for Read/Writing. While I work on this file, this file should not be deleted by any other application like explorer. Provide some light?? >I am using CreateFile to open the file for Read/Writing. While I work on >this file, this file should not be deleted by any other application like >explorer. As long as you have the file open, it can't be deleted. Dave ...

"record not locked" Can't post Order Entry
I am trying to run the Post Module Transaction OE4800 I get "Record not locked processing OEwork.dat (1200)" This started when I was interupted doing this process from home on a dialup. Please help, thanks Ed ...