Several column headers have a $ following name, what?

Our research data is on Excel worksheets.  The many columns have text headers
which have appeared with a $ following the name, such as, worklife$.  What
does the $ signify - Does the $ have to do with the data having been imported
from a another program?
0
rdavidson (1)

This may be due to importing.  Most programs use the "$" symbol to indicate
that the data allowed in that field is a string.

"rdavidson" wrote:

> Our research data is on Excel worksheets.  The many columns have text headers
> which have appeared with a $ following the name, such as, worklife$.  What
> does the $ signify - Does the $ have to do with the data having been imported
> from a another program?
0
Cary (2)

Return a column # from an array
Hi, I've pulled my hair out trying to nest functions and try variou different ways to do this but here's the problem. I have tw worksheets. The first sheet, "Rows" has a named range from A2:CV50 'myRng'. All cells within the range are either blank, or hold a uniqu workorder number anywhere from 4 to 8 digits scattered randomly. The second worksheet "Audit" contains the unique workorde numbers from worksheet "Rows", listed in ascending order in Column without any spaces. What I need to do is look up the number in column A on my "Audit ...

insert all column(x) values in a single textbox
Hi to everyone, does anyone to know how can I insert in an unbounded texbox, separated from a ";" ALL the values coming from the column(x) of a combobox? On my form I have a combobox with its row source to a multicolumn query and it's bounded with an ID field. What I have to be able to do is that: to insert for each row, with same ID, of the combo the value with respect to its (x) column. Hi hope to have been clearly... Many thanks, Stefano. On 13 Feb, 08:08, ricc...@tin.it wrote: > Hi to everyone, > does anyone to know how can I insert in an unbounded texbox, separated &...

Excel file names
I am trying to operate on excel worksheets created in the windows98 operating system in the windowsXP operating system. The windowsXP has truncated the filenames. Does anyone know have any idea on how to fix this problem? If by truncated you mean that the file extensions are not displayed then you can change that with a change to your Windows settings. -Double click My Computer -Select Tools, Folder Options -Select the View tab -Uncheck "Hide extensions of known file types" -Check OK -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

Convert Column to Row
I have a table: ID Price Quantitiy 1 1.00 2 I would like to convert the original table to something like this: This is a small sample of a much larger table. ID Measure Data 1 Price 1.00 1 Quantity 2 "banker123" <bradbrockman@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4ecb0cac-74ef-4cd5-b0ec-c42813b3709e@v17g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... >I have a table: > > ID Price Quantitiy > 1 1.00 2 > > > I would like to convert the original table to something like this: > This is a small sample of a mu...

clearing values of cells in named range(s) so the cells are empty
Hi all I am working on project where i paste data-set into a worksheet (sheet1) , do several calculations and put the results specific cells on sheet2. I am using named ranges for the cells in sheet2 that receive the data. WHat i am trying to figure out is a way to set the cells in the named ranges on sheet2 to 0 or "" before starting the routine that does all the calculaions. This way I can be sure that the data on sheet2 belongs to current set of calculations. Thank you in advance for any advise. BRC Assuming one of the named ranges is name SomeRangeName, then this state...

Named range row/column reference #2
thanks. understood, and that does work well. I would still like to be able to reference within named ranges usin offsets from the beginning of the named range. Once I have the offset they would serve as references into other named ranges of a simila dimension. *Is there a way to get vStudentNbr and vTestWeek as relative reference to the beginning of their respective named ranges? * (yes I am a VBA newbie!! and I am not yet writing the most efficien code LOL :) -- Urklnm ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Urklnme's Profile: http://www.e...

Column Chart
I'm brand new to Pivot Charts and trying to figure out what I thought would be simple: I have a Column Chart with $Sales for the Y axis and Salesperson on the X(category) axis. There are hundreds of salespeople, which results in the chart displaying extremely thin lines with totally unreadable category labels( salesperson initials). Is there not a way to specifiy a gap between categories on the X axis? Or some way to space them apart and be able to scroll the chart horizontally? I have a feeling you are all going to tell me scrolling is just a dream :) TIA, -Mike Hmmm, no replies....

Return-Path Header
Can this be shown in the Internet Headers of Exch 5.5 Server clients ? If so how can it be enabled ? When you say Exch 5.5 server clients, you mean Outlook? View > Options will display this header. -tom ---- "RichieRich" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D6BB585F-805C-456C-BB64-68D5F3B1ECA4@microsoft.com... > Can this be shown in the Internet Headers of Exch 5.5 Server clients ? If so how can it be enabled ? That information is inserted by sending side (it's mail client), Exchange does not control that. RichieRich wrote: > Yes it...

#name? errors on spreadsheet
I'm trying to create a spreadsheet to automatically track Word documents' date. I'm copying the date from the title page and pasting into the Excel cell using Paste Special and creating a link to the text. It works when I set it up, but when I close the spreadsheet and then reopen it the linking process shows the #NAME? error. How can I correct this? -- John Gentile, MS M(ASCP) Phone: (401) 273-7100 ext 2046 Fax: (401) 457-3069 e-mail: john.gentile@med.va.gov Laboratory Information Manager VAMC Providence Hello, Providence. I go to Wilkes Barre. :) Does the title have...

Aligning an excel table w/ a cluster column chart x-axis columns
I'm trying to create my own data table for the x axis of my cluster col chart. The x axis is the months of the year. I want WSheet col A to align w/ the chart margin, col B to align w/ the Jan chart col, C w/the Feb chart col, thru col M w/ Dec. How do I do this? Every time I change the col widith of the excel columns, the chart stretches or shrinks as the col width does. I can move the graph in the chart to line up the first col, but then adjusting the size of the graph, moves the chart around. Nothing seems to work to get all the chart cols to line up w/ the table cols. I hop...

How do I change the name at the bottom of the calendar?
When I print out the calendar, the previous ofice managers' name appears at the bottom, how do I change that? "ACritchfield" wrote in message news:9CCE1BDD-8453-4025-B3F5-EE4955F1BC74@microsoft.com... > When I print out the calendar, the previous ofice managers' name > appears at > the bottom, how do I change that? Search the registry for your manager's name. It was probably the name and company he specified during the install of Windows. ...

Increase months by number from next column
Hello, Hope someone can help on this please. I have 2 columns, Column A contains numbers Column B contains dates in this format: 22-May-2006 In Columns C it should add up the number from column A to the months in column B. e.g1. column A1 = 3 column B1 = 22-May-2006, in column C1 it should show 22-Aug-2006. e.g2. column A1 = 10 column B1 = 20-June-2006, in column C1 it should show 20-April-2007. Many thanks in advance. -- harishnehru ------------------------------------------------------------------------ harishnehru's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinf...

columns and tabs in excel
can I get the first two columns to be the same regardless of which tabs I click on? E.g. the first two tabs are for what will remain constant. Clicking on the tabs at the bottom will change what columns appear to the right of the first two columns. Tx ...

Append 2 tables with variable names
Hi there... Here's my problem. I have 2 tables in an access 2000 database. The table names are unknown...they could have any name. Through VBA how can I append one table to the other? Hi, you can run append query: currentdb.execute "Insert into " & strTable1 & " (Field1, Field2) Select Field1, Field2 From " & strTable2, dbfailonerror Where strTable1 and strTable2 variables hold tables names -- Best regards, ___________ Alex Dybenko (MVP) http://accessblog.net http://www.PointLtd.com "ambushsinger" <ambushsinger@dis...

Keep column names at top of workbook
How can I have my column names stay at the top of the Excel workbook when I scroll down? Select cell A2. From menu Windows>Freeze Panes If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "Isabel" wrote: > How can I have my column names stay at the top of the Excel workbook when I > scroll down? Click on the row below your headings, then Window/ Freeze Panes -- David Biddulph "Isabel" <Isabel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65905AF1-CBD7-4185-A43A-0BAF77BA78AB@microsoft.com... > How can I have my column n...

Hide Rows or Columns with +/- button above row/column label headin
Hi, on some excel files, I have seen a +/- button located between the toolbar and the cell label headings. The button hides/reveals rows or columns. How do I add this button for rows or columns of my choice? Thanks for your help. Data>Group and Outline. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:16:01 -0800, WA <WA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >on some excel files, I have seen a +/- button located between the toolbar >and the cell label headings. The button hides/reveals rows or columns. How do >I add this button for ...

rename excel 2k column
How do you rename a column in excel 2k? Kerry, If you mean changing the header text from letters to something else, the answer is no, you can't change the column (or row) headers. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "kerry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0c0401c393d3$04dcd630$a401280a@phx.gbl... > How do you rename a column in excel 2k? ...

A Complete multithreaded console program that is using several app domains
Hi! Here I have a console program that is creating 5 app domain running an exe in each one. Now assume that I want to run 5 exe files called Foo.exe. If I instead only created one app domain and started 5 threads running the Foo.exe in each thread which solution od these two would be the best choice ? I would say that using 5 app domain running an exe in each would be th ebest solution. Do you agree with me ? using System; using System.Threading; public class MyApp { private int sleepTime = 1000; private AppDomain appDom; private Thread appThrd; p...

Outlook 2003: Follow Up menu is always disabled! cannot flag messages.
Hi, I have a strange problem but first of all this is my setting: I have a PC :O running Windows XP Professional SP1. I am using Office 2003 SP1. My default mail client is Outlook 2003 (and not Outlook Express!). With it I have my Hotmail accounts (HTTP service) which I read with OL2003. My Inbox is in Table View. Now the problem.... at least some months ago (at least before Office SP1 was applied) I was able to flag messages for follow up. I still have some of those messages with a red flag in the For Follow Up favorites. Unfortunately now it is totally impossible to flag messages for fo...

Worksheet/chart tabs changed names!
I making a workbook that will have approx. 130 charts and name each tab as I go. Yesterday, I finished up number 68 and this morn I opened the workbook and found that ALL the tabs have converted to numerals! What would cause that? I depended on the tab names to inform me of alignment of data. Hi, Since I have heard of another case of this, what version of Excel are you using? Did the workbook have all the tabs in it before you started adding the chart, so that as you added charts you names each tab? Or did you create and name a tab and then continue? When you say numerals what ...

PST2GB
I tried to use PST2GB to truncate my outlook.pst file but when running I received an error message to correct a file name - but no other information. The program will not run beyond this point. How do I determine which file name is a problem and the correction. ...

Range Names quick delete
Hello I have about 50-60 range names in my excel worksheet and want to delete them all, but don't want to have to click on each and press delete. Does anyone know a quick way to delete all the range names? Cheers Nick Nick wrote: > Hello > > I have about 50-60 range names in my excel worksheet and > want to delete them all, but don't want to have to click > on each and press delete. Does anyone know a quick way to > delete all the range names? > > Cheers > Nick Sub abcde2() For Each IName In ThisWorkbook.Names IName.Delete Nex...

How to match cells in two columns
OK, I give up. I have tried all sorts of different statements, eg. for-each, if-then, etc but just can't quite seem to get there. My problem is this: I work with large spreadsheets, with hospitals in one column, and nurses in another column. I want to match a nurse with a hospital, eg. if a cell in column H is Hospital A, then nurse in the cell in column J is Nancy. I can select, do an if-then and isolate the visible cells in column H, but I need a way to write the macro so that I catch each hospital and nurse, but some days a hospital may not be there, so I need a way to move ...

E-mail header "New message
One POP3 user reports receiving e-mails from a Corporate user with headers on e-mails as "New message - Arabic (Windows). The message is readable but why it will show that header. Please help. Thanks, Miriam ...

plotting data from column next to chart area
Hi, my data look like this: Colum 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 personX - age - job level - salary I want to plot on X the age, on Y the salary, and I want the plots in a scattered chart to display the job level, and the name of the person holding these characteristics. How do I do that? How do I 'teach' excel not to plot the data in the chart, but label the dots with another corresponding label? Thanks a lot! Els Els: You have asked several questions in your post. It looks like the most important is how to add data labels to your XY chart points. Excel lets you label the points with eith...