Setting column labels to letters

I just noticed that my worksheet column labels (across the top) are numbers
instead of letters.  Don't think it's always been that way, but I want to
change it now and haven't found anything yet in Tools or Help that
references it.  Would someone please point the way.  thanks,

Gene Goldenfeld

0
genegold (15)

Gene,

Go to the Tools menu, choose Options, then the General tab.
There, uncheck the "R1C1 reference style" setting.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Gene Goldenfeld" <genegold@highstream.net> wrote in message
> I just noticed that my worksheet column labels (across the top)
are numbers
> instead of letters.  Don't think it's always been that way, but
I want to
> change it now and haven't found anything yet in Tools or Help
that
> references it.  Would someone please point the way.  thanks,
>
> Gene Goldenfeld

0
chip1 (1821)
12/22/2003 1:58:41 AM
Chip Pearson wrote:

> Gene,
>
> Go to the Tools menu, choose Options, then the General tab.
> There, uncheck the "R1C1 reference style" setting.
>
> "Gene Goldenfeld" <genegold@highstream.net> wrote in message
> > I just noticed that my worksheet column labels (across the top)
> are numbers
> > instead of letters.  Don't think it's always been that way, but
> I want to
> > change it now and haven't found anything yet in Tools or Help
> that
> > references it.  Would someone please point the way.  thanks,
> >
> > Gene Goldenfeld

Thanks, Chip.  I had tried that previously but was blocked by a Name Change
box, even when in a blank cell.  It seems that this change has to be made
in a blank worksheet.

Gene

0
genegold (15)

Matching data in columns
I hope somebody can help me. I have a list in column C of 13000 names with a reference number against each of them in column D. The reference numbers are between 1 and 760 and each of the 13,000 names in column C has one of the 760 numbers against it in column D. In column F, I have the list of 760 numbers with text for each of these numbers in column G. I need to correctly insert the text for all these 760 names against my main list of 13,000 names. To try to explain it I want to: If number in any cell in column D equals the same number in any cell column F, then paste the text in...

How do add columns showing dob and years to work to give a retire.
I have a column showing date of birth and a column showing at what age they retire, 50, 55, 60. How do I add up the two to get a retirement date? Many thanks Claire Hi something like =DATE(YEAR(A1)+50,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Claire Le Monnier" <ClaireLeMonnier@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:8F892F61-F652-4177-A0C0-F25899C11CFA@microsoft.com... > I have a column showing date of birth and a column showing at what age they > retire, 50, 55, 60. How do I add up the two to get a retirement date? > Many than...

Toolbox Settings
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Is there anyway to keep the toolbox open and expanded horizontally on top of the page (under new,open,save,etc)? I was using office 2007 for PC and it had a great interface with all your option buttons on the top of the page. I don't like having the the toolbox floating vertically on the page I"m working on. In a word, "No". This is the old user interface, it uses toolbars and task panes. What I do is place most of what is on the toolbox that I use on my toolbars (right-click the toolbars and choose customise...) ...

Locking and Hiding Columns
I have a spreadsheet that I need to share without the user being able to unhide certain columns yet still have the ability to enter data in the other fields. Any suggestions? Thanks -- JerryS Have you tried Locking all the the cells except those cells you want to allow user input, then hide the columns and protect the sheet with a password? Rob "JerryS" <JerryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:70FA2D38-3FBB-4B39-BF30-CC294BF05B29@microsoft.com... >I have a spreadsheet that I need to share without the user being able to > unhide certain columns yet ...

how do I set up publisher to do a tri fold booklet?
how do I set up microsoft publisher to do a tri fold booklet (on A4 paper)? Ed looks left. Ed looks right. No-one is there. Furtively, Ed picks up a note from incompetent fletch <incompetent fletch@discussions.microsoft.com>. On it is written: > how do I set up microsoft publisher to do a tri fold booklet (on A4 > paper)? Use a template? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm Hi incompetent fletch (incompetent fletch@discussions.microsoft.com), in the news...

Moving Office 2007 settings from an XP machine to a Windows 7 ma
Recently built a new machine, and want to move settings (including customizations and outlook rules, mailboxes and accounts) to the new machine. As noted in the title, the old machine is an XP Pro box, the new machine is running Windows 7. I’d rather not move macros and add-ins all at once (something is causing a problem and I’d like to install one at a time), but the Outlook set up and little tweaks (e.g., customization changes, style sets) will be a PITA to redo manually. I found a dizzying array of answers via Google, but none seemed to apply. Wasn’t there a built-in too...

Local Data Settings in 3.0
Within the CRM 3.0 Outlook client, I've instructed my users to add a rule that syncs down all Accounts in their Territory rather than use the My Accounts default rule which is there by default. Users are complaining that they don't have a New button to create the rule? What permissions do I need to grant them in order for that to happen and where do I set those? TIA. Check the "Saved View" privilege: Security Role >> Core Records Tab >> Saved View Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm "Bobby" wrote: > Within the CRM 3....

Setting chart scale min/max in VBA
Would like to set the scale on several different charts in the same workbook based on min and max values in a data range. Can do it manually but it would be nice to automate it. Any help? Hi, See Jon's page, http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html Cheers Andy pjasak@alum.mit.edu wrote: > Would like to set the scale on several different charts in the same > workbook based on min and max values in a data range. Can do it > manually but it would be nice to automate it. Any help? > Here's an example of setting min and max dates for a trend chart...

want a,j&s to =1 when i type a letter in a box
I would like to make a chart when i type a letter in a box like A,J,S would = 1 and BK&t would = 2 and so on If you provide more information, someone may be able to help you. Is the box on a UserForm, or on a worksheet? One box, or several? What kind of chart do you want to make? scottalockhart wrote: > I would like to make a chart when i type a letter in a box like A,J,S would > = 1 and BK&t would = 2 and so on -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Auto-adjust column width
Hi all Is there a way to set a column width so that it auto-adjusts to the widest entry in the column? And what about the widest numerical entry, excluding word-wrapped cells containing text? I realise that I can double-click on the edge of the column header to achieve most of the desired result passively, but this does not work if the worksheet is protected. Thanks -- Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears Hi depending on your Excel version you can allow formating columns in the protection dialog. (I think starting with Excel 2002). In all other cases no chance but to remo...

GUID Columns in SQL 2005
Are there additional things you need to do when backing up and/or restoring databases which have tables containing guid/uniqueidentifier columns? Thanks in advance Please, ignore this question. "RG" wrote: > Are there additional things you need to do when backing up and/or restoring > databases which have tables containing guid/uniqueidentifier columns? > > Thanks in advance ...

Change Columns to Letters
I want to run a CountIf statement E.g =COUNTIF(A1:A100,"General queries") However, on the columns there are no letters, only numbers. So both the rows and the colums have letters. Does anyone know how i can change the columns from numbers to letters. Thanks for helping Dave -- David494 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ David494's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24482 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=391226 If anyone still knows how to do this then can you...

LIVE CHAT
Live Chat topic: Hardware Sign-up: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/chats/default.mspx Choosing and installing the right hardware for your point-of-sale system can be a challenge. Talk to a Microsoft Dynamics RMS point-of-sale hardware expert to help you correctly install and configure your hardware for your RMS product. View the Microsoft Dynamics RMS hardware tutorial: http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/rms/using/addinghardware.htm Need more information? Visit the Microsoft Dynamics RMS using site: www.microsoft.com/msrms/customer Keep up to date on the latest news for RMS custo...

inserting more than one column
What would the VBA code be to insert 6 columns to the left of Col A? I recorded a macro but I know there has to be a quick line of code that will do the same things rather than 10 lines of code from the macro recorder. Thank you. Hi Columns("A:F").Insert Shift:=xlToRight -- Regards Roger Govier "SITCFanTN" <SITCFanTN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD9FA6CB-C861-4BCB-93C9-E98232636594@microsoft.com... > What would the VBA code be to insert 6 columns to the left of Col A? I > recorded a macro but I know there has to be...

Using an equation to count non-duplicated items in column
I have a list of trailers in a sheet that are designated as T-####. Is there a way to count the number of non-duplicated entries in this column by using a formula? Thanks for any assistance, Please respond to hers2keep @ yahoo . com. Thanks, carla carla Try Chip Pearson's site........ http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#CountingUnique BTW. The customary response is to the News Group, not email. That way we all learn. Gord Dibben Excel MVP XL2002 On 28 Aug 2003 14:30:58 -0700, cbr@saturnsea.com (carla) wrote: >I have a list of trailers in a sheet that are designated as...

Switching rows and columns
I am quite sure, in a long forgotten history, Lotus 1-2-3 had an option allowing one to switch column contents to rows and vice versa. I must be looking for the wrong keywords in help and google, can someone tell me how to swap rows and columns in excel? Alternatively, same question for OpenOffice Calc, which I also work with... THANKS! Sh. I don't use OO. But in Excel, you can select your range to transpose. then Edit|Copy Then select the top left cell of the new range edit|Paste special|check Transpose and then ok. You'll have to make sure that there is no overlap between the two...

Can the preset numbers in the column be changed?
I am trying to do a sign in sheet and would like horizontally at the top name, address etc, and name is in A1, address is in B1 etc. for example. Is there a way to make it so the numbering will reflect how many people sign in without adding a column with numbering? Thanks in advance. Teresa "=?Utf-8?B?c2hld2FoeWE=?=" <shewahya@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:177A3969-6C4A-4633-BA49-32449EBBCABE@microsoft.com: > I am trying to do a sign in sheet and would like horizontally at the > top name, address etc, and name is in A1, address is in B1 etc. for >...

Total a column from sheet 2 based on value in sheet 1
Col B Col C Col F Mary Team 1 $331.00 George Team 1 $222.00 Sam Team 2 $186.00 Tom Team 2 $100.00 Above is an example of my data on Sheet 2. On Sheet 1, I want to total all the total funds raised per Team shown on Sheet 2. I am trying to create a summary of what each team raised. I tried using the formula: =SUM(('sheet 2'!F2:F482=Sheet1!B2)) and I get just a dash in my total col. Can anyone provide some help? Thanks Look in HELP for the SUMIF() function -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Nee...

HOW DO i SET DEFAULT TEXT BOXES IN PUBLISHER
I have found MVP who created the toolbar for this, but the page will not allow me to download the toolbar. Any suggestions?? What is the URL? I can't remember a toolbar. When you are finished modifying the normal.pub and you save as: C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\normal.pub, in the save as dialogue, click tools on the right top, click add to "My Places." It will quickly be available. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/F...

Reseting the last row/column
Hello all, I have a spreadsheet of data, lets say 35,000 rows long. So when I do a [Ctrl] + [End], it goes to the cell at row 35,000 (and the last column of the data). Now lets say that I run a macro that deletes 5,000 rows. So now the last row is 30,000. But if I do a [Ctrl] + [End] again, it still goes to row 35,000. Is there any way to reset the spread sheet so it knows that the last row/column of data has changed since row/column deletions? Thanks for any help anyone can provide, Conan Kelly Here is an article from Msft on the topic: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2444...

How to set Out of Office response using IE
We are using Exchange v5.5 with SP4. I would like to set the "Out of Office" reply message via Internet Explorer. How do I do that? TIA Outlook Web Access. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, KAL SANNEDHI asked: | We are using Exchange v5.5 with SP4. | I would like to set the "Out of Office" reply message via Internet | Explorer. How...

Additional Mailbox setting keeps disappearing
I have a client that keeps losing the additional mailbox setting for their shared fax mailbox from her outlook configuration. The Exchange server is an SBS 2000 Server and the Client is Outlook 2000. The CLinet OS is Windows XP Professional When does it get lost? Steps to reproduce? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Ernie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2b7bd01c4689f$058c0e10$a501280a@phx.gbl... >I have a client t...

Setting every text object in a detail line to bold.
I want to set all the text objects in the detail line to bold depending on a condition of one of those objects. For example, If txtExpired.Text <> "Current" Then txtExpired.FontBold = 1 : txtName.FontBold = 1 'etc. Else: txtExpired.FontBold = 0 : txtName.FontBold = 1 'etc. End If My question: Is there a syntax, of the form "For all objects in detail" that allows me to bold every text box in the detail line without setting each FontBold to 1 individually? If this is a Continuous form or datasheet, setting the properties like tha...

printing labels in mailmerge wizard from excel doc.
Sorry. I was vague in my last e-mail. These are the steps I followed and where I go wrong: 1) open Word. 2) tools>Letters and mailings>mail merge wizard. 3)'Labels' radio button; scroll down to the bottom and click 'next: starting document'. 4)'Start from existing document' radio button, then I open the excel file I need. 5)It asks 'Entire workbook' so I scroll to the other option, which is my particular "Worksheet" then I open it. When it opens it's not in label format but I have faith and follow the steps anyway.6) I click 'next...

All day event (Birthday) start time setting for a WORK day, not full day.
Hello, this problem is literally robbing my sleep. I was using Outlook 2003 and now updated to Vista and Outlook 2007. If I create a new contact and enter his/her birthday, Outlook will create a new all day event for this birthday. This is being synched to my Windows Mobile PDA. So far so good. In OL 2003 this birthday "all day event" would remind me 15 minutes before I start working at 8 am. After the Upgrade 2007 now starts an all day event at 0:00 am. This means, my PDA now reminds me at 11:45 in the night about a birthday. How can I set this back? Or how can I tell Outloo...