set cell to empty

I have an Excel sheet which produces a table of numbers from 3 user-input
numbers. I also want to plot charts of the columns. For most of the examples
all 20 rows won't have data written to them so only the rows with current
data should be non-blank. My problem is getting the data points which are
blank to not plot as zero.
      This works perfectly if the table is filtered but the user should not
be expected to know how to run the advanced filter. I've tried copying a
blank/empty cell but it plots in the table as zero. Setting the cells to ""
does not plot on the table but still plot as 0 on the charts. I've tried NA()
as mentioned here which works great on the charts but plots #N/A in the
table. I've tried coditional formatting with a white font but that apparently
does not extend to error message. I've even tried using a macro that presses
DELETE in one field of my IF statement but that shows up in the table as 0.
If I select the blank cells in the table and press DELETE it does the trick
with the charts but it also clobbers any formulas in the table for the next
pass.
    Any help would be appreciated.

GOT IT! Instead of doing a conditional format on "cell = blank" I tested for
"cell has error" and the white font cleaned up the #N/A error messages. And
the blank data points did not plot in the graphs. It would be cool if I could
only get the labels on the horizontal axis to only show the non-blank rows
(as when it's filtered) but will do. I can FInally get to my other projects.

seperate text and number in the same cell
Hi, i have the following data : cell a2 : aa22 cell a3 : aab80 cell a4 : acd99 how can i but just the letters in cell b2 and the number in cell c2 such as b2 = aa c2=22 thank you all --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi Jed, Don't know if you always have exactly 2 digits like your example, but you can get a formula to separate them at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm#pcdigits is a solution posted by Tom Ogilvy which will split of digits from the right not limited to 2 digits.. If you need to get real fancy Harlan Grove posted some example E...

Format cell will not appear
Hello, I have a budget spreadsheet in E2k that I need to update. I can change al the numbers and formlas but if I select Format Cells the dialog box will not appear. I cannot find a single cell anyware in that workbook that works. The budget sheet has some grey area to the righ. I tweaked it last year and I can't remember what I did. Please help Tim Tim, Maybe the sheet is protected. Tools, Protection. If you see Unprotect sheet" it was. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Tim Marciniak" <t...

Calculating specifc byte positions in cells
Hi, Here is what I am trying to do: I have a spreadsheet that keeps track of employees vacation and sick time. The spreadsheet is formatted to column A is the employee name, columns B - AB are days of the month. I would like to have the manager be able to enter in the time off as either S8 or V8 (8 representing the number of hours off the employee had S = sick V = vacation). I would like Column AC to then calcuate the total sick hours and AD to calcuate the total of vacation hours. I played around with a few formulas but could not figure out a way to do it. Is there a way to have this d...

Clear content cells with external link
I have a workbook with a lot of external links. What I'd like to do is to create a simple VBA code to find cells with external link, and then clear content them. Does anyone know how to do this ? Thanks Hey Diego, You have 5 posts to 2 different NG's asking this same question. Have some patience and please do not double, or quintuple, post. tim "diego" <porno_abis@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:06c201c3561c$7e0adce0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > > I have a workbook with a lot of external links. What I'd > like to do is to create a simple VBA code to fi...

Highlight the cell/row if particular name comes..
Hi, This is what I would like to achieve, There will be sheet full of address details and in that I want to highlight the cells with some colour if the particular list(i.e.list of 10 particular area names like Area1,Area2....Area10) of area names present along with the door # and Street name. The challenge is that the area names will be mixed with street name ect., in the same cell. I can guess that this is possible with macro but my knowledge in that is ZERO.. Pls help on this... Can you give us some examples of what your data looks like, and details of what columns you...

Plot empty cells as not plotted (leave gaps)
Under Tools/Options/Chart Menu I have set the "Plot empty cells as: Not plotted (leave gaps)as well as Plot visible cells only, however the chart still plots null values causing the automatic scaling to be impractical If you're using a formula that returns an empty string for missing values, change it to an NA()function. For example: instead of =IF(B9="","",B9) use =IF(B9="",NA(),B9) To hide the resulting #N/A errors on the worksheet, you can use conditional formatting. There are instructions on my web site: http://www.contextures.c...

Highlighted cell
I have a highlighted cell that gets bigger and smaller as I move the mouse and I can't get rid of it. It has the flashing edges like I copied it. What's going on? Thank you! Sounds like you're accidentally in extended mode (but there's no flashing edges) Hit F8 to toggle it off -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:20,000 Files:362 Subscribers:62 xdemechanik --- "Reen" wrote: > I have a highlighted cell that gets bigger and smaller as I move the mouse > and I can't get rid of it. It has the flashing edges like I copied it...

How do I perfom a character count in a single cell in Excel?
I need to peform a character count for certain cells in Excel. I found a formula for counting words within a cell but not the number of specific characters. If you count spaces as a character, you can use directly the function LEN. If you don't want the spaces to count, use something like: =LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","")) Hope this helps, Miguel. "RonNette72791" wrote: > I need to peform a character count for certain cells in Excel. I found a > formula for counting words within a cell but not the number of specific > characters. ...

Insert special into empty picture frame
Hi, I have a client who until about a month ago used Publisher 98 to do series of pages with 4 pictures. He had a template containing four empty picture frames. When having a picture in clip-board, marking an empty frame and choosing insert special, the inserted image resized to fit the frame. In Publisher 2003 the frame however resizes to fit the picture. Is there any way to have it like in Publisher 98? Sincerely Jesper Jensen Use the autoshape option instead, create it to any size, click fill, fill effects, Picture tab. You can change the line to "no line". -- Mary Saue...

EMPTY CELLS!!! Validation Rule!!!
How do I set up a cell to be 0.0 (zero) if there is no data available??? I know is on the Validation Rule, but I don't know the formula. I can't add the values of other cells becasue there are a few empty ones. PLEASEEE HELP!! Thanks It sounds as if setting the Default Value to 0 will accomplish what you need. For existing records you will need to do something such as run an update query to replace null with 0. You may be able to use the control's Exit event to add the value, depending on just what you need to do. I don't think you can use table-level validation to add...

Finding Cell with Minor loss of fidelity
I have a Excel Spreadsheet that was created in Excel 2003, but updated with Excel 2007. Whenever I save it, it runs the Compatibility Checker, and comes back with a 'Minor loss of fidelity' message. I would like to find the cell(s) that thie issue talking about. Is there a way to find which cell(s) have the issue, so I can fix them? -- Doug Krohn Hi, when saving the spreadsheet Save it as xlsm "Doug Krohn" wrote: > I have a Excel Spreadsheet that was created in Excel 2003, but updated with > Excel 2007. > Whenever I save it, it runs the Compati...

Cell Drag & Drop without Incrementing
Hi, Simple question really. Is it possibe to drag a cell without it incrementing automatically. Eg if cell a1 contains TR321 I want to be able to drag it down to fill cells a2:a10 without any change, ie A10 is also TR321. Cheers, thanks for your help. Paul Hi Paul use an absolute reference. change the cell reference TR321 to $T$321 also have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/relative.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Paul wrote: > Hi, > > Simple question really. Is it possibe to drag a cell > without it incrementing automatically. Eg if cell a1 > co...

Calling on cells with red fonts
Can someone please guide me how to show only those cells in red fonts i column. I just want to see the red fonts not those in black fo calculation. Thanks a lot. 74 89 25 93 21 32 2 -- celesta ----------------------------------------------------------------------- celestar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3626 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=56777 Chip Pearson shows how to work with font colors here: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm celestar wrote: > > Can someone please guide me how to show...

Shade half a Cell
Hi Is it possible to shade half of a Cell? I have merged to cells togethe and now i am wanting to shade half of the Cell, BUT, i am wanting, i possible, to shade the Cell on an angel (for example - shade from top left to bottom right and have half gre and half white) Is this possibl -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi sparky........... You can't shade half a cell any way with the normal background coloration technique. You can however, for special cases, create a drawing object of the shape you want and color it and place it in a cell..........it would look similar....

Regional settings with ssqlserver
I am using sqlserver express with windows 7 . When i set the regional settings in windows sqlserver isnt accessing the settings. I am retrieving a datefield and it is being display incorrectly, it did display correctly with windows XP but with Windows 7 it isnt using the regional settings. Thanks Hi You can use CONVERT function which has a third parameter named style to format /display dates in format you want to.. "Cdudej" <jedfletcher1@gmail.com> wrote in message news:707cd34d-9686-48c7-9c5a-329e8ecc447b@u20g2000yqu.googlegroups.com... >I am usi...

How to set up emails with specific domains
Hi all, 1 more question: how do I set up email addresses with specific domains - not the usual @hotmail / @yahoo but company ones made specifically for the company. Regards & thanks Sketch Sketch <sketcher@eircom.net> wrote: > how do I set up email addresses with specific domains - not the usual > @hotmail / @yahoo but company ones made specifically for the company. In Outlook, Tools>E-mail Accounts>Add a new e-mail account. In Outlook Express, Tools>Accounts>Add. -- Brian Tillman You need to consult the documentation for the mail server hosting your =...

setting check box on tables
Hello there I have application on access 2003 adp. To some subForm i have i bound access table in order to make it the dinamicly way to work. The table is sql server 2005. in the table there are bit values. I would like to present them in my table as checkboxes and not as yes/no or true/false. Is there a way to so so automaticly? ...

How do you do a strike out in an Excel cell?
How do you do a strike out in an Excel cell? Format | Cells... | Font | Effects = strikethrough Regards Trevor "dgalati" <dgalati@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4364AE43-F016-45B3-A6ED-160A405B3291@microsoft.com... > How do you do a strike out in an Excel cell? ...

I want to set up a repeating contact for an appointment.
I want to have a specific contact automatically be added to my "Meeting"/Appointment list without having to type it out every time. ...

Empty mail header crashes Outlook
I constantly recieve mails with a faulty mail header, either omitting the "from" and "to" fields, or with a malformed "message-id" header. These messages stop Outlook from downloading all subsequent messages. I have applied all service packs, patches etc. This applies to Outlook Express and Outlook 2000 (don't know about other versions) Any ideas? ...

Setting the default contact list for Outlook 2007
When I create an email message, and click on "To" to search my contact list, by default it always goes to the Global Address List. Is there a way to make my Contact List the default? "brenda" <brenda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FED962FD-27E7-42BA-B0CE-FEA9256DDEC4@microsoft.com... > When I create an email message, and click on "To" to search my contact > list, > by default it always goes to the Global Address List. Is there a way to > make my Contact List the default? When that Address Book window opens, click Tool...

Filter rows containing cells with values within a range (for example <11 or >10 but <21)
Column B consists of Brand names (each brand has numerous products) Column C consists of Product names (over 500 products) Coumns D to CG (row 1) consist of months going back a few years. The data from D2:CG539 consists of the rank of each brand for each month. I would like to filter my rows so that I can view only the products that have ever ranked in the top 10. I already have a couple of formulas that allow me to filter my data. Example 1: If I want to know the highest rank ever achieved by a product I use this formula: =MIN(D2:CG2) and then drag it down. Now I can use autofilter and see w...

Add comma after last " in a cell
Ultimately, I want to do a text to columns method but 1st I need to make the data work properly. I have close to 9000 items of vary degrees of numbers and text. I want a formula that will insert a comma after the last " or ' in a cell, reading from left. 3/4" x 1/2" pvc pipe 1/2" x 1/2" x 6' black pipe 1' insulated filter This way when i do the text to columns, i can separate the by commas. The purpose is to separate the sizes and the descriptions. Put these two macros in a standard code module, select the cells you want to process the...

Why the CWND::Default() hanging the application when I set breakpoint on xp
I have program compiled with VC2005 that it runs well in the debug version or release version, but when I set the break point in my code , the application is hangling. The code like this clase CMainSheet:public CPropertySheet { public: BOOL OnInitDialog(); ....... } CMainSheet::OnInitDialog() { BOOL bResult = CPropertySheet::OnInitDialog(); //line ........ } I set the breakpoint at the line, the vc really stop at the line, but when press F10 to skip this statement, the VC is hanged. I follow into the CPropertySheet::OnInitDialog(), the response stops at calling LRESULT CWnd::D...

Determining How An Existing Cell Is Formatted ?
ello, Is it possible to see how a particular is formatted for ? I did a little experimenting, and it seems that if I put in text, or numbers, and go to Format Cell, it "seems" to indicate the Format is General, for both. Is there some command that would return an inquiry to a text cell as it truly being "Text" ? And, I understand that text when entered shows up to the left of the cell, numbers to the right. If I change the left-right position with the Alignment buttons, does this change the actual Format of the cell ? Thanks, Bob See help on Information Function...