Selecting Cells with Shift Key

When I am selecting cells in Excell, I use the shift key and the arrows on my
keyboard. If I pause at all, the selection is lost when I continue with the
selection. Why? Can anyone help me?
0
Jaymndad (3)

If you have removed your finger from the shift key then Windows will think
you are starting a new selection. Just be sure that you don't touch the
arrows without the shift being held down.

LWhite

"Jaymndad" <Jaymndad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I am selecting cells in Excell, I use the shift key and the arrows on
> my
> keyboard. If I pause at all, the selection is lost when I continue with
> the
> selection. Why? Can anyone help me?

0
lwhite (8)
6/6/2005 6:00:58 PM

"L.White" wrote:

> If you have removed your finger from the shift key then Windows will think
> you are starting a new selection. Just be sure that you don't touch the
> arrows without the shift being held down.
>
> LWhite
>

> "Jaymndad" <Jaymndad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I am selecting cells in Excell, I use the shift key and the arrows on
> > my
> > keyboard. If I pause at all, the selection is lost when I continue with
> > the
> > selection. Why? Can anyone help me?

0
Jaymndad (3)
6/6/2005 6:21:03 PM
Try using the Control key to chose multiple cells, the advanage in doing
this is that you can chose cells that are not adjacent where I think you
have to chose adjacent cells when using the Shift key.

Pzan

--
PokerZan
PokerZan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23480

Thank you. The more specific problem I am having is that I hold down and
continue to hold down the shift key and when I use the arrow keys to select
cells, if I stop using the arrows (pause at all) it starts over. I still have
the shift key depressed, but it reacts as if I have released the shift key.

"PokerZan" wrote:

> Try using the Control key to chose multiple cells, the advanage in doing
> this is that you can chose cells that are not adjacent where I think you
> have to chose adjacent cells when using the Shift key.
>
> Pzan
>

> --
> PokerZan
> PokerZan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23480
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=376823

0
Jaymndad (3)
6/6/2005 8:24:04 PM
Can you swap out your keyboard (temporarily) just to make sure it isn't a
hardware problem.

And as a workaround:  click your first cell, then hit F8 (notice EXT in the
statusbar at the bottom--it stands for Extend (as in extend the range).)

Maybe it'll work for you until you get a new/different keyboard.

(Ps.  hit F8 to toggle that EXT mode.)

Jaymndad wrote:

> Thank you. The more specific problem I am having is that I hold down and
> continue to hold down the shift key and when I use the arrow keys to select
> cells, if I stop using the arrows (pause at all) it starts over. I still have
> the shift key depressed, but it reacts as if I have released the shift key.
>
> "PokerZan" wrote:
>

> > Try using the Control key to chose multiple cells, the advanage in doing
> > this is that you can chose cells that are not adjacent where I think you
> > have to chose adjacent cells when using the Shift key.
> >
> > Pzan
> >

> > --
> > PokerZan
> > PokerZan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23480