Select item from dropdown list, item code is displayed in cell

I need help with a spreadsheet problem.

I created a timesheet for users to track their hours with an in-cell
drop down for some of the values.
Currently, an user is able to use the in-cell dropdown to select a
time off code and the result is displayed in the cell. However, I
would like to have the user to see the full-name on the in-cell
dropdown, but have the abbreviated code display in the cell when
selected.
I have been unable to figure out how to do this, so any help would be
great!
I am trying to stay away from extra Excel components or macros, as I
like to keep this sheet easy for the end user.

Current:

A1: H
B1: S
C1: V

D1: user selects A1, B1, or C1 with in-cell drop down.

Data > Validation > Settings
Allow: List
Source: A1:C1
In-cell dropdown

Desired:

A1: Holiday
B1: Sick
C1: Vacation

A2: H
B2: S
C2: V

D1: user selects A1, B1, or C1 with in-cell drop down, and the result
is A2, B2, or C2

Meghan,

Beats me how to do it. I assume "in-cell dropdown" is Data Validation.

However, in E1 you can enter

=HLOOKUP(D1,A1:C2,2,FALSE)

which will return H, S or V instead of Holiday, Sick or Vacation, if that's what
you want.

Regards
Anders Silv�n

"Meghan" <gg.20.abnon@neverbox.com> skrev i meddelandet
> I need help with a spreadsheet problem.
>
> I created a timesheet for users to track their hours with an in-cell
> drop down for some of the values.
> Currently, an user is able to use the in-cell dropdown to select a
> time off code and the result is displayed in the cell. However, I
> would like to have the user to see the full-name on the in-cell
> dropdown, but have the abbreviated code display in the cell when
> selected.
> I have been unable to figure out how to do this, so any help would be
> great!
> I am trying to stay away from extra Excel components or macros, as I
> like to keep this sheet easy for the end user.
>
> Current:
>
> A1: H
> B1: S
> C1: V
>
> D1: user selects A1, B1, or C1 with in-cell drop down.
>
> Data > Validation > Settings
> Allow: List
> Source: A1:C1
> In-cell dropdown
>

> Desired:
>
> A1: Holiday
> B1: Sick
> C1: Vacation
>
> A2: H
> B2: S
> C2: V
>
> D1: user selects A1, B1, or C1 with in-cell drop down, and the result
> is A2, B2, or C2

Yes, I'm using Data Validation for an in-cell dropdown. I've
experimented with the LOOKUP functions, but they don't allow the user
to select a value (as far as I can tell). If I'm wrong, please let me
know :)

"Anders S" <anders_silven@hotmailxyz.com> wrote in message news:<ubmWnsdkDHA.3316@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> Meghan,
>
> Beats me how to do it. I assume "in-cell dropdown" is Data Validation.
>
> However, in E1 you can enter
>
> =HLOOKUP(D1,A1:C2,2,FALSE)
>
> which will return H, S or V instead of Holiday, Sick or Vacation, if that's what
> you want.
>
> Regards
> Anders Silv�n

Copy contents of cells if cell contains information
I have a column of cells, say A1:A30 in a few different spreadsheets. Some of these spreadsheets contain information within these cells (not formulae, but just typed info) and some don't contain information. Now, in a new spreadsheet, I would like to copy the contents of these cells (columns) if there is information in them. So for example, in spreadsheet 1, i have information, speadsheet 2 i don't, spreadsheet 3 I do, i would like my information to be copied into a new cell as follows:- information 1 information 2 Any advice? Thanks Hi, Test this on sample (or backed-up) work...

Creating a display field that displays total of other form fields
First, don't laugh at my hobby. I am trying to develop a database to track my rather extensive gift card collection. I am using Access 2003. I have the database / table set up as well as the forms, queries and reports. (that whole learning process practically proved to be a second hobby of it's own). My problem is that my table / database has a Quantity field. I want this Quantity field to automatically calculate the total Quantity of a single gift card design for me based on the data entry I input from the Form. I want this Quantity field to auto-calculate and auto-updat...

Global Address List disappear in Outlook 2003
Hello everyone, We had just upgraded our clients' PC to Outlook 2003 (NOT cashed mode) in conjunction with Exchange 5.5. From time to time, when the user click on the Address Book icon insid Outlook, the Global Address list that reside on the right pulldown men disappear. Restarting Outlook sometimes can solve the problem. What causes this behaviour ? Does anyone have any updates or fixes to this issue ??? If yes, would you please notify me with the solution... ? I would appreciate it a lot... Thanks in advance Ri -- rtrimarch -------------------------------------------------------...

Displaying parameter query dates in a report?
I want to base a report on a query which used parameters to select dates. How can I include the dates I have chosen in my report? On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 15:40:50 +0100, C Tate wrote: > I want to base a report on a query which used parameters to select dates. > How can I include the dates I have chosen in my report? Add an unbound control to the report header. Set it's control source to: ="For sales between " & [Enter Start Date] & " and " & [Enter End Date] The text within the brackets must be identical to the bracketed text in the query parameter...

Correct formulas in cells, have to retype to work
At work we have a worksheet that was used for all of 2004. Formulas worked fine. At the beginning of the year we made a new worksheet from 2004 and called it 2005. Lately when we put numbers in the cells are not adding up. Example...cell reads =p64+s+64. So the formulas is correct but for some reason it is performing the way it should. If I re-enter the formula then it is fine but I do not want to have to redo all of the page. Any suggestions Is calculation set to manual? Try Tools / options / Calculation - change to automatic Does hitting F2 and then enter on any of these cells...

Deleted Items NOT showing up in Deleted Items folder
I've been using Windows Mail for 18 months without any significant problems. Now, when I delete an email from my "Inbox," it does NOT appear in my "Deleted Items" folder. It just seems to disappear. I did read many of the earlier posts and have tried the suggestions. I've gone to Tools>Options>Advanced>Maintenance - the "Empty messages from the Deleted Items folder on exit" is NOT checked. I've also gone to Current View "Show all messages" - that's identified/checked. Is there something else that I can do? I&...

Email is not creating in outbox nor in sent item
I use ms word mail merge to send email from outlook. It was working fine long time but problem started here 1. When I added new pst file so that i can add another personal folder so that i can use two email address and keep each email address correpounding email in seperate personal folder 2. As soon as I created another personal folder, I started MS word Mail merge wizard. It was working fine till last step, even it is showing that it is creating email. 3. But when I looked to outlook it is not showing even single email in outbox folder. nor in sent item. 4. I just deleted that add...

New message receipients listed for TO field
When creating a new email message, the TO field (like CC and BCC) provides a drop down list of previously used addressed as you enter the letters. Where is this list kept? Can I clean it up and remove some/all entries? To remove individual entries then highlight them as they pop up and delete, to clear the list entirely then close Outlook and delete a file with a *.NK2 extension that usually kept in your user profile. "Hall" <hall@garp.org> wrote in message news:%23sQbWTtPGHA.196@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > When creating a new email message, the TO field (like CC and...

Cell Linking to Chart Headings
I need to work out how to link part of a chart heading within excel to a cell from another tab within the same excel spreadsheet. The purpose of this is to be able to change one cell in another tab and have it link through to the headings of various charts in other tabs. Can anyone help? You can link a chart title, axis title, data label, or textbox in a chart to a cell. Select the text element in the chart, press the equals key, then select the cell with the mouse. The cell reference appears after the equals sign in the formula bar: =Sheet1!$A$1 The text element in the chart will ...

How to: Display Mail Enabled users in the Global Address List
Hi all I have just moved to an Exchange 2003 installation from an Exchange 2000 install. Exchange 2000 would allow outlook(2000,xp,2003) to resolve the email address of a mail-enabled user as well as the mailbox enabled user from the global address list. Exchange 2003 only resolves the email address from the Global Address List if the user is mailbox-enabled. How do I enable Exchange 2003 to publish mail-enabled users to the Global Address List. Thanks for your help. Cheers Jock Hi Jock, The "mailNickname" attribute has to be set on a user object for it to be mail-enabl...

missing email in the sent items
I have a user who is remote. She recently had her Dell laptop motherboard replace 10/12/03. She noticed today that Outlook has not been keeping record of her sent emails. I'm sure the MB has nothing to do with this but I have look at all the Options and Outlook 2002 is configure to record sent items but there is nothing after that date. She sent me several test messages while on the phone together that were not recorded in her sent items. I checked her views and everything is standard. Listed by date and by names, nothing. I had her do an Outlook repair and I had her run the scanpst...

how can you view cells from different worksheets in to one sheet,.
hi, I have multiple worksheets, more than 200 of them, and i wanted to summarize some cells in to one sheet, I know how to do it by entering the code manually (='7'!$D2), this shows cell d2 in sheet 7, but is there a function to do that like drag or something? You can use this macro myasin http://www.rondebruin.nl/summary.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "myasin" <myasin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07759D01-70FE-416A-B54B-009646C2C365@microsoft.com... > hi, > I have multiple worksheets, more than 200 of them, and i...

Phone Call Activities display in Workplace CRM 3.0
Hi We are running campaigns through CRM 3.0. The process is as follows: Marketing Create Campaign Marketing disttribute phone call activity to Account owners Phone call activity appears on Sales Person's to-do list within workplace Activities. Problem The sales people can only see which account they need to call from the list view. They need to know from this one view Account Name, Contact and Phone Number. They have to jump into the account form then the contact form to get this information and are getting very confused because of the amount of open windows. I have tried creating t...

OssieMac help with code.
Hi, Thanks again for the code below. Can you please provide one small alteration. I now need the users input that is entered into the poup box to be copied into a cell on the same page. Ie if the user chooses 1 then 1 is then displayed in cell A1. If they select All then "All" is displayed in cell A1. Cheers Primed Sub SetMatchingTableFilters() Dim strHeader As String Dim lngNumbTables As Long Dim i As Long Dim colNumber As Long Dim rngHeader As Range Dim varInitCriteria As Variant Dim varInputs As Variant 'Edit "Project" to your header name...

Excel clicking selects multiple cells instead of a single cell
Excel clicking selects multiple cells instead of a single cell try pressing the F8 key it allows you to select multiple cells and may have been hit by accident "texmaam" wrote: > Excel clicking selects multiple cells instead of a single cell If you're using xl2007, try changing the zoom factor. texmaam wrote: > > Excel clicking selects multiple cells instead of a single cell -- Dave Peterson ...

unable to display folder
I am running Microsoft Outlook 2002, and when I go into tools -> accounts -> view or change current -> change -> more settings -> and click on the advanced tab to add... a mailbox, I type in the correct mailbox name (i.g. ASFAX) and click add. Click OK throughout, and when I get back to my Folder List, I click on the ASFAX and it says "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location." I know the name of the folder is correct, and it works fine. Other people in my organization can access this mailbox just as do...

Add a tick in a cell
Hi all, I want to add a tick sign in a cell, but I don't know where to find a tick sign. Anyone can help ? et "et" <elingtse@rediffmail.com> wrote in news:#z7#YYvsFHA.3852@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl: > I want to add a tick sign in a cell, but I don't know where to find a > tick sign. You could either use a tich box or a symbol font. Wingdings has one under Alt-0252 -- It is I, DeauDeau (Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo) "et" <elingtse@rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:%23z7%23YYvsFHA.3852@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... &g...

Cell text formatting
Hi, I am working with cells that are formatted as Text and set to Wrap. However, when I enter text that wraps to multiple lines, and I move focus off of that cell, all that appears there are ##################### characters. If I select the cell again, I can see that the data still exists there. Has anyone seen this? If so, what causes this? And how does one fix this? Thanks in advance, Tom . ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ The # symbol indicat...

MSCRM Deployment manager domain list problem
I was trying to add users to MSCRM using Deployment Manage User Manager but the wizards cannot list the available domain controller from the AD, thus no users can be displayed in the list. What causes this problem? Please advise. We are getting the same thing. There is an article on this but I do not have a customer loging yet: KB 917946 CRM 3.0 Administration 06/23/06 User Manager Wizard does not display the Active Directory User list in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Maybe you do? "Benjamin Fallar III" wrote: > I was trying to add users to MSCRM using Deployment Manage...

Sequentially Increment a Text Field Based on Select Criteria
I need to automatically assign a sequential number based on the last four positions of a text field on a form based on the maximum value of part of the field +1 and based on the matching the value of the same field to that of a record in another table. In Table Service-Contracts I have a text field titled ARL TRACKING NO. Sample values are as follows: ARL-2009-0001 ARL-2009-0002 ARL-2009-0003 ARL-2010-0001 ARL-2010-0002 ARL-2010-0003 ARL-2010-0004 In Table FISCAL-YEAR I have a field called FY and there is one record which equals “2009”. In the sample above, I expec...

Cells(#,#).Value conversion #2
Hey I want to grab a serialized date and turn it into an integer in my vba what is the proper conversion for this ? example: Dim startDate As Integer Dim endDate As Integer startDate = ActiveRow.Cells(1, 2).Value endDate = ActiveRow.Cells(1, 3).Value A date is already an integer, just format it as General. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Alexandre Brisebois (www.pointnetsolutions.com)" <alexandre.brisebois@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1122998952.048872.181990@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hey I want to grab a serialized...

Concatenating non adjacent cells 01-29-10
Hello - I am trying to create a field that concatenates cells that are populated from the previous 12 cells on that row, but excluding blanks and adding a * delimited character between each instance. Please find a 4 column example below ID 1 2 3 4 Result required Z A C D A*C*D Y B C B*C X A B D A*B*D I will be applying this to a 2007 version spreadsheet containing in excess of 10,000 lines. There will be at least 5 blank cells on each row. Many than...

Want click "+" like in Explorer and have Excel show hidden list, click "-" and hide list
Hi all, I have seen this before and have searched the web but can't find it. Probably because I don't know how to describe it very well. You know how MS Explorer has a "+" beside the "C" drive, you can click on the + and it reveals the folders and folder names under the +. The "+" becomes a "-". You can click on the "-" and explorer hides the list again. That's all I want.... Does anybody know how to do it? I have Office 2002, Excel 10.6501. Much appreciated... For the help. You can get those outlining symbols in a couple...

Selecting Multiple Sheets
Hi, (I know I've sent a similar post b4. But i tried very hard to find dat post and don't know why I can't find it. Tried searching for all posts posted by me in all threads) I need a macro such that it'll (1) print the whole workbook, after that (2) select the first sheet up till the sheet called "Acc". (I can't put the name of the sheets coz they change all the time). (3) After selecting those sheets, the macro will change the font of cells (a1:a2) to red and then print the whole workbook again (including those not selected in (2)). After that, (4) th...