Select Excel files by formula

Each of my Excel file names is a customer's last name.
I print reports with the customer name down the left side 
and information about that customer (for example: has a 
certain task been completed by the forecast date?) in 
multiple columns to the right of the customer name.  Each 
column has a formula similar to the one below: 
 
=IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!
$B$12="failed","F",IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!
$N$28<>"?","---------",IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer Progress 
Record'!$M$28<$AA$2,"! ! ! ! !",'[Smith.xls]Buyer 
Progress Record'!$M$28)))

If "Smith" is on Line 1 (say A1) and "Jones" is to be on 
Line 2 (say A2) I accomplish it by copying down the Smith 
forumlas from Line 1 to Line 2 and then using Replace to 
change Smith to Jones.  This is very time consuming and 
awkward.

How can I simply use one column with the name "Smith" on 
Line 1 and "Jones" on Line 2 to automatically modify the 
formulas to change Smith to Jones and so forth?

I need to use this capability in many other situations.  
The ideal solution would be a formula like:
=IF('[A1.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!$B$12="failed","F",IF
('[A1.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!$N$28<>"?" etc. etc.
But I can't make it work.

0
anonymous (74722)
10/31/2004 3:11:53 PM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

5 Replies
608 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 13

=IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1"&".xls]Buyer Progress Record'!
$B$12")="failed","F",IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1"&".xls]Buyer Progress Record'!
$N$28")<>"?","---------",IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1"&".xls]Buyer Progress
Record'!$M$28<$AA$2"),"! ! ! ! !",'INDIRECT("'["&A1"&".xls]Buyer
Progress Record'!$M$28))))


-- 

HTH

RP

"VinceJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1e7201c4bf5b$f4618f20$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> Each of my Excel file names is a customer's last name.
> I print reports with the customer name down the left side
> and information about that customer (for example: has a
> certain task been completed by the forecast date?) in
> multiple columns to the right of the customer name.  Each
> column has a formula similar to the one below:
>
> =IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!
> $B$12="failed","F",IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!
> $N$28<>"?","---------",IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer Progress
> Record'!$M$28<$AA$2,"! ! ! ! !",'[Smith.xls]Buyer
> Progress Record'!$M$28)))
>
> If "Smith" is on Line 1 (say A1) and "Jones" is to be on
> Line 2 (say A2) I accomplish it by copying down the Smith
> forumlas from Line 1 to Line 2 and then using Replace to
> change Smith to Jones.  This is very time consuming and
> awkward.
>
> How can I simply use one column with the name "Smith" on
> Line 1 and "Jones" on Line 2 to automatically modify the
> formulas to change Smith to Jones and so forth?
>
> I need to use this capability in many other situations.
> The ideal solution would be a formula like:
> =IF('[A1.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!$B$12="failed","F",IF
> ('[A1.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!$N$28<>"?" etc. etc.
> But I can't make it work.
>


0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
10/31/2004 3:42:41 PM
Thank you for your reply but I can't make it work.  Excel 
says there is an error in the formula and highlights A1" 
Although I haven't played with it, it doesn't do away 
with the need to modify the formula on each line because 
A1 wouldn't change to A2 when copying down.  What am I 
missing?
>-----Original Message-----
>=IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1"&".xls]Buyer Progress Record'!
>$B$12")="failed","F",IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1"&".xls]Buyer 
Progress Record'!
>$N$28")<>"?","---------",IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1"&".xls]
Buyer Progress
>Record'!$M$28<$AA$2"),"! ! ! ! !",'INDIRECT
("'["&A1"&".xls]Buyer
>Progress Record'!$M$28))))
>
>
>-- 
>
>HTH
>
>RP
>
>"VinceJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
message
>news:1e7201c4bf5b$f4618f20$a401280a@phx.gbl...
>> Each of my Excel file names is a customer's last name.
>> I print reports with the customer name down the left 
side
>> and information about that customer (for example: has a
>> certain task been completed by the forecast date?) in
>> multiple columns to the right of the customer name.  
Each
>> column has a formula similar to the one below:
>>
>> =IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!
>> $B$12="failed","F",IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer Progress 
Record'!
>> $N$28<>"?","---------",IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer Progress
>> Record'!$M$28<$AA$2,"! ! ! ! !",'[Smith.xls]Buyer
>> Progress Record'!$M$28)))
>>
>> If "Smith" is on Line 1 (say A1) and "Jones" is to be 
on
>> Line 2 (say A2) I accomplish it by copying down the 
Smith
>> forumlas from Line 1 to Line 2 and then using Replace 
to
>> change Smith to Jones.  This is very time consuming and
>> awkward.
>>
>> How can I simply use one column with the name "Smith" 
on
>> Line 1 and "Jones" on Line 2 to automatically modify 
the
>> formulas to change Smith to Jones and so forth?
>>
>> I need to use this capability in many other situations.
>> The ideal solution would be a formula like:
>> =IF('[A1.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!
$B$12="failed","F",IF
>> ('[A1.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!$N$28<>"?" etc. etc.
>> But I can't make it work.
>>
>
>
>.
>
0
anonymous (74722)
10/31/2004 4:04:35 PM
Vince,

Bit tricky to test that one, but I had a couple of errors in there. Try this
version

=IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1&".xls]Buyer Progress
Record'!$B$12")="failed","F",IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1&".xls]Buyer Progress
Record'!$N$28")<>"?","---------",IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1&".xls]Buyer Progress
Record'!$M$28")<$AA$2,"! ! ! ! !",INDIRECT("'["&A1&".xls]BuyerProgress
Record'!$M$28)"))))

watch wrap-around when you paste it in.

-- 

HTH

RP

"VinceJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2e6f01c4bf63$50bede10$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> Thank you for your reply but I can't make it work.  Excel
> says there is an error in the formula and highlights A1"
> Although I haven't played with it, it doesn't do away
> with the need to modify the formula on each line because
> A1 wouldn't change to A2 when copying down.  What am I
> missing?
> >-----Original Message-----
> >=IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1"&".xls]Buyer Progress Record'!
> >$B$12")="failed","F",IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1"&".xls]Buyer
> Progress Record'!
> >$N$28")<>"?","---------",IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1"&".xls]
> Buyer Progress
> >Record'!$M$28<$AA$2"),"! ! ! ! !",'INDIRECT
> ("'["&A1"&".xls]Buyer
> >Progress Record'!$M$28))))
> >
> >
> >-- 
> >
> >HTH
> >
> >RP
> >
> >"VinceJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> >news:1e7201c4bf5b$f4618f20$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> >> Each of my Excel file names is a customer's last name.
> >> I print reports with the customer name down the left
> side
> >> and information about that customer (for example: has a
> >> certain task been completed by the forecast date?) in
> >> multiple columns to the right of the customer name.
> Each
> >> column has a formula similar to the one below:
> >>
> >> =IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!
> >> $B$12="failed","F",IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer Progress
> Record'!
> >> $N$28<>"?","---------",IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer Progress
> >> Record'!$M$28<$AA$2,"! ! ! ! !",'[Smith.xls]Buyer
> >> Progress Record'!$M$28)))
> >>
> >> If "Smith" is on Line 1 (say A1) and "Jones" is to be
> on
> >> Line 2 (say A2) I accomplish it by copying down the
> Smith
> >> forumlas from Line 1 to Line 2 and then using Replace
> to
> >> change Smith to Jones.  This is very time consuming and
> >> awkward.
> >>
> >> How can I simply use one column with the name "Smith"
> on
> >> Line 1 and "Jones" on Line 2 to automatically modify
> the
> >> formulas to change Smith to Jones and so forth?
> >>
> >> I need to use this capability in many other situations.
> >> The ideal solution would be a formula like:
> >> =IF('[A1.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!
> $B$12="failed","F",IF
> >> ('[A1.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!$N$28<>"?" etc. etc.
> >> But I can't make it work.
> >>
> >
> >
> >.
> >


0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
10/31/2004 4:18:45 PM
Hi, Bob:
Thank you very much.  I hadn't paid attention to the wrap 
around.  Also, my example was with an open file and I 
tested it on a file that was still in a folder: i.e. IF
('C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Daily 2004
\[Smith.xls]BPR'!$B$12="failed" etc. etc.  Sorry for my 
stupidity.

I can easily live with your solution, however, never 
being satisfied, can you think of a way to make A1 change 
to (say) A37 when the formula is copied to a cell in 
another column or line?

Again, I really appreciate your help.  I have worked 
around this for a long time and you have made it so much 
easier.

Whick brings to mind another way I want to use it:
Each Buyer Progress Record worksheet has room for 
multiple customer follow-ups.  For example:
  Col A            Col B               Col C
This Date        Next Action Date     Next Action
Line 1
Line 2
====
Line 35
Anywhere between one line and 35 lines have data in them.

I want to print a report by salesperson which deals only 
with lines containing data.  Example:
Smith
IF(INDIRECT("'["&A35&".xls]Buyer Progress Record'!$A$35")
="", do not print, do not skip this line, go to look at 
A34, etc. repeat up to Line 1 or start at Line 1 and 
repeat through Line 35.

Therefore, if there is data only in A1 and A2 on Smith 
and only in A1 on Jones the report would look like this:
SMITH
Date   Date   Action
Date   Date   Action
JONES
Date   Date   Action
Next Name, etc.

I have developed a whole system for manufactured home 
dealerships which handles everything from the time the 
customer walks in the door until the home is ordered from 
the factory, construction is scheduled and completed, and 
the end-loan is funded.  It should have been done in 
Access but each time I looked at the Access book I 
decided I could get the job done in Excel.  The questions 
I am asking you are the only truly awkward aspects of my 
system.  So obviously I am thankful for your help.

Vince


>-----Original Message-----
>Vince,
>
>Bit tricky to test that one, but I had a couple of 
errors in there. Try this
>version
>
>=IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1&".xls]Buyer Progress
>Record'!$B$12")="failed","F",IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1&".xls]
Buyer Progress
>Record'!$N$28")<>"?","---------",IF(INDIRECT
("'["&A1&".xls]Buyer Progress
>Record'!$M$28")<$AA$2,"! ! ! ! !",INDIRECT("'["&A1&".xls]
BuyerProgress
>Record'!$M$28)"))))
>
>watch wrap-around when you paste it in.
>
>-- 
>
>HTH
>
>RP
>
>"VinceJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
message
>news:2e6f01c4bf63$50bede10$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>> Thank you for your reply but I can't make it work.  
Excel
>> says there is an error in the formula and highlights 
A1"
>> Although I haven't played with it, it doesn't do away
>> with the need to modify the formula on each line 
because
>> A1 wouldn't change to A2 when copying down.  What am I
>> missing?
>> >-----Original Message-----
>> >=IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1"&".xls]Buyer Progress Record'!
>> >$B$12")="failed","F",IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1"&".xls]Buyer
>> Progress Record'!
>> >$N$28")<>"?","---------",IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1"&".xls]
>> Buyer Progress
>> >Record'!$M$28<$AA$2"),"! ! ! ! !",'INDIRECT
>> ("'["&A1"&".xls]Buyer
>> >Progress Record'!$M$28))))
>> >
>> >
>> >-- 
>> >
>> >HTH
>> >
>> >RP
>> >
>> >"VinceJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote 
in
>> message
>> >news:1e7201c4bf5b$f4618f20$a401280a@phx.gbl...
>> >> Each of my Excel file names is a customer's last 
name.
>> >> I print reports with the customer name down the left
>> side
>> >> and information about that customer (for example: 
has a
>> >> certain task been completed by the forecast date?) 
in
>> >> multiple columns to the right of the customer name.
>> Each
>> >> column has a formula similar to the one below:
>> >>
>> >> =IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!
>> >> $B$12="failed","F",IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer Progress
>> Record'!
>> >> $N$28<>"?","---------",IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer Progress
>> >> Record'!$M$28<$AA$2,"! ! ! ! !",'[Smith.xls]Buyer
>> >> Progress Record'!$M$28)))
>> >>
>> >> If "Smith" is on Line 1 (say A1) and "Jones" is to 
be
>> on
>> >> Line 2 (say A2) I accomplish it by copying down the
>> Smith
>> >> forumlas from Line 1 to Line 2 and then using 
Replace
>> to
>> >> change Smith to Jones.  This is very time consuming 
and
>> >> awkward.
>> >>
>> >> How can I simply use one column with the 
name "Smith"
>> on
>> >> Line 1 and "Jones" on Line 2 to automatically modify
>> the
>> >> formulas to change Smith to Jones and so forth?
>> >>
>> >> I need to use this capability in many other 
situations.
>> >> The ideal solution would be a formula like:
>> >> =IF('[A1.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!
>> $B$12="failed","F",IF
>> >> ('[A1.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!$N$28<>"?" etc. 
etc.
>> >> But I can't make it work.
>> >>
>> >
>> >
>> >.
>> >
>
>
>.
>
0
anonymous (74722)
10/31/2004 5:40:51 PM
Please ignore the first part of my previous question.  I 
now see that A1 will change to A2, to A3, etc. merely by 
copying down.  When I initally saw the quote marks I 
assumed incorrectly that it was just an alpha designation 
rather than a live cell reference.  I'm afraid I try to 
do more than I have hours in the day for and am always 
looking for a quick fix.

I would still appreciate an answer to the question at the 
end.
>-----Original Message-----
>Hi, Bob:
>Thank you very much.  I hadn't paid attention to the 
wrap 
>around.  Also, my example was with an open file and I 
>tested it on a file that was still in a folder: i.e. IF
>('C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Daily 
2004
>\[Smith.xls]BPR'!$B$12="failed" etc. etc.  Sorry for my 
>stupidity.
>
>I can easily live with your solution, however, never 
>being satisfied, can you think of a way to make A1 
change 
>to (say) A37 when the formula is copied to a cell in 
>another column or line?
>
>Again, I really appreciate your help.  I have worked 
>around this for a long time and you have made it so much 
>easier.
>
>Whick brings to mind another way I want to use it:
>Each Buyer Progress Record worksheet has room for 
>multiple customer follow-ups.  For example:
>  Col A            Col B               Col C
>This Date        Next Action Date     Next Action
>Line 1
>Line 2
>====
>Line 35
>Anywhere between one line and 35 lines have data in them.
>
>I want to print a report by salesperson which deals only 
>with lines containing data.  Example:
>Smith
>IF(INDIRECT("'["&A35&".xls]Buyer Progress Record'!$A$35")
>="", do not print, do not skip this line, go to look at 
>A34, etc. repeat up to Line 1 or start at Line 1 and 
>repeat through Line 35.
>
>Therefore, if there is data only in A1 and A2 on Smith 
>and only in A1 on Jones the report would look like this:
>SMITH
>Date   Date   Action
>Date   Date   Action
>JONES
>Date   Date   Action
>Next Name, etc.
>
>I have developed a whole system for manufactured home 
>dealerships which handles everything from the time the 
>customer walks in the door until the home is ordered 
from 
>the factory, construction is scheduled and completed, 
and 
>the end-loan is funded.  It should have been done in 
>Access but each time I looked at the Access book I 
>decided I could get the job done in Excel.  The 
questions 
>I am asking you are the only truly awkward aspects of my 
>system.  So obviously I am thankful for your help.
>
>Vince
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>Vince,
>>
>>Bit tricky to test that one, but I had a couple of 
>errors in there. Try this
>>version
>>
>>=IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1&".xls]Buyer Progress
>>Record'!$B$12")="failed","F",IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1&".xls]
>Buyer Progress
>>Record'!$N$28")<>"?","---------",IF(INDIRECT
>("'["&A1&".xls]Buyer Progress
>>Record'!$M$28")<$AA$2,"! ! ! ! !",INDIRECT
("'["&A1&".xls]
>BuyerProgress
>>Record'!$M$28)"))))
>>
>>watch wrap-around when you paste it in.
>>
>>-- 
>>
>>HTH
>>
>>RP
>>
>>"VinceJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
>message
>>news:2e6f01c4bf63$50bede10$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>>> Thank you for your reply but I can't make it work.  
>Excel
>>> says there is an error in the formula and highlights 
>A1"
>>> Although I haven't played with it, it doesn't do away
>>> with the need to modify the formula on each line 
>because
>>> A1 wouldn't change to A2 when copying down.  What am I
>>> missing?
>>> >-----Original Message-----
>>> >=IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1"&".xls]Buyer Progress Record'!
>>> >$B$12")="failed","F",IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1"&".xls]Buyer
>>> Progress Record'!
>>> >$N$28")<>"?","---------",IF(INDIRECT("'["&A1"&".xls]
>>> Buyer Progress
>>> >Record'!$M$28<$AA$2"),"! ! ! ! !",'INDIRECT
>>> ("'["&A1"&".xls]Buyer
>>> >Progress Record'!$M$28))))
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >-- 
>>> >
>>> >HTH
>>> >
>>> >RP
>>> >
>>> >"VinceJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote 
>in
>>> message
>>> >news:1e7201c4bf5b$f4618f20$a401280a@phx.gbl...
>>> >> Each of my Excel file names is a customer's last 
>name.
>>> >> I print reports with the customer name down the 
left
>>> side
>>> >> and information about that customer (for example: 
>has a
>>> >> certain task been completed by the forecast date?) 
>in
>>> >> multiple columns to the right of the customer name.
>>> Each
>>> >> column has a formula similar to the one below:
>>> >>
>>> >> =IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!
>>> >> $B$12="failed","F",IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer Progress
>>> Record'!
>>> >> $N$28<>"?","---------",IF('[Smith.xls]Buyer 
Progress
>>> >> Record'!$M$28<$AA$2,"! ! ! ! !",'[Smith.xls]Buyer
>>> >> Progress Record'!$M$28)))
>>> >>
>>> >> If "Smith" is on Line 1 (say A1) and "Jones" is to 
>be
>>> on
>>> >> Line 2 (say A2) I accomplish it by copying down the
>>> Smith
>>> >> forumlas from Line 1 to Line 2 and then using 
>Replace
>>> to
>>> >> change Smith to Jones.  This is very time 
consuming 
>and
>>> >> awkward.
>>> >>
>>> >> How can I simply use one column with the 
>name "Smith"
>>> on
>>> >> Line 1 and "Jones" on Line 2 to automatically 
modify
>>> the
>>> >> formulas to change Smith to Jones and so forth?
>>> >>
>>> >> I need to use this capability in many other 
>situations.
>>> >> The ideal solution would be a formula like:
>>> >> =IF('[A1.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!
>>> $B$12="failed","F",IF
>>> >> ('[A1.xls]Buyer Progress Record'!$N$28<>"?" etc. 
>etc.
>>> >> But I can't make it work.
>>> >>
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >.
>>> >
>>
>>
>>.
>>
>.
>
0
anonymous (74722)
10/31/2004 8:07:28 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

If-formula in series-range of chart-datasource
Hello there, depending on the "True" or "False"-value of a checkbox in a worksheet, I need to show one or the other dataseries for the X-axis in an XL-chart. However, when I try to integrate an If-formula into the series-definition in the datasource-dialogbox, Excel doesn't accept that. Is there a way to make a dataseries shown dependent on a condition ? Thank you in advance, Kind regards, H.G. Lamy Hi look at the following examples http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartByControl.html http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_charts/index.html ...

MS Money 95 data files
I hope that some one can answer this for me. I have used MS Money 95 for years, and it works just fine for me on Windows XP, however, I now have to reformat my hard drive, and have discovered that I can nolonger find my original install disk. Will the latest versions of Money still read the MS Money 95 data files. All that I have ever used the program for is to track my investments, and am unlikely to do any different in the future. Thanks Stan B In microsoft.public.money, Stan Banner wrote: >I hope that some one can answer this for me. >I have used MS Money 95 for years, and...

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.
Each time i try to enter a number range, for example, 8- 10, in Excel, it constantly re-formats it to a date. If I change the formatting to "General" it turns it into a random number, usually 38209. I would like to turn off ALL auto-formatting, but that's probably asking too much. How do I disable this frustrating feature? thanks. Hi Paul When you enter "8-10" in a cell, that's not strictly a number but Excel thinks you mean a date so converts it as such. A date is a number and in your example the number 38209 represents August 10 2004 which is not a ra...

Excel not Access
I have designed an Access database that holds records relating to my stores audit results going back for about 5 years plus a load more information relating to these stores. This was used to produe a pack once a month, however a change in senior management means that I have got to shelve this and prodce a similar pack in Excel. The idea would be that the user could select a month or a 12 mnth date range that would produce data that could then be used to populate a number of excel templates that have been designed. Having not used excel for years I would be grateful for any suggestion...

How to keep format when importing Excel into SQL.
Can anybody help me please? When I import Excel file into SQL, a field that formated as 0000000000 (custom), loosing leading zeros. I tried to change data type in SQL after importing. No luck. I appretiate any help. See if using IMEX=1 helps: http://pratchev.blogspot.com/2007/10/importing-excel-data-into-sql-server.html -- Plamen Ratchev http://www.SQLStudio.com Plamen, I tried this, but got an error: "The OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" has not been registered." Thank you very much for looking into this. "Plamen Ratchev" wr...

Before Update on record select
I am getting no where fast. I have a main form and sub form and what i need is a message to appear when user moves on to the next record using the record selector on the bottom of the form. I have tried the beforeupdate on the form but no results. Can form design prevent a message prompt? One problem is that if no changes to the current record have been changed, the Before Update event will not fire. If you do make a change, the code as is should work. I have gotten into the habbit of not using the standard record navigators, but write my own so I can easily deal with this. -- Dave Ha...

Input Excel 'Password to Open' through control in access form
Hi All, We know,Excel has prompt password to open it files. Is it possible to create a code that can supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we open the excel file through our access control in a form, the excel files can be opened automatically.But when the excel files opened from its default icon,it will prompt a password first. ...

Excel 2007
When I select cells to copy as a picture in Excel 2007, the resolution is terrible. Text and objects with shadow's are very blotchy when pasting the picture. How do you change the resolution of a 'Copy Picture'? ...

How do I use traffic lights in excel
I am wanting to use traffic lights in excel that change colour based on the result of a variance cell, ie if the result of the cell is 10 make the traffic light green, if it is 20 make the traffic light amber, if the result is 30 make the traffic light red. How do I do this? Shorty Format>Conditional Formatting>Cell Value is: Note: you can add up to 3 conditions(4 if you count default) Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:35:03 -0800, Shorty <Shorty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am wanting to use traffic lights in excel that change colour based on the &g...

Drag and Drop file/directory names on Tree Control.
hi, I am writing an application in which i have one Tree control. Now i want that , when user drag & drop any file/folder on tree control the file name/folder name should be add in the tree control item. User may drag and drop file from desktop or may be from directory. I just want the path of that file/foder name nothing else. so plz tell me will it be possible ... Plz Help me............. Klic..... > I am writing an application in which i have one Tree control. >Now i want that , when user drag & drop any file/folder on tree >control the file nam...

How To Copy MS Word mailing labels into Excel
I have a word doc that I want to put into Excel. I want to add some more fields to the names and addresses. Is this simple or do I have to learn how to program? Michael Rodriguez City of Grand Prairie Michael, have you tried to copy and paste the data into excel? -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 97 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "Michael Rodriguez" <mrodrigu@gptx.org> wrote in messa...

what's the formula for adding symbols in cells?
I have a chart that has blank info in the legend. I want to add an * to indicate something, but just inserting a symbol doesn't work. Any ideas? Thanks. Debi - To add information to the legend, you need to add to a series name. Right click on the chart, select Source Data from the pop up menu, click on the series tab, select a series, and either type something in the name box, or click in it and select a cell with the mouse. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/ _______ Debi wrote: > I have a chart tha...

formula based on format
Is there a way to have a formula that is based on a cell colour or based on the way a cell is formated? I need it to count the number of occurrences that this happens. -- Thank you for your time. Windows NT Office 97 Hi you'll need VBA. See for an example: http://cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm "James Kendall" wrote: > Is there a way to have a formula that is based on a cell colour or based on > the way a cell is formated? I need it to count the number of occurrences > that this happens. > -- > Thank you for your time. > Windows NT > Office 97 This ...

help with simple maths in excel
I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter. It is stuff like 2+2 =4 Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle... I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another = in another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above would have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one. When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am doing an equation, is there a way around this? I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will do that...a sound or som...

Where is the workspace file stored?
I was given a project folder containing several dozen files. So where is the workspace file normally located? If I don't have a workspace file how can I cerate one? Using VC version 6. TIA I haven't used VC6 for some time, but if I remember right you can just open the .dsp file and it will create a .dsw file for you. It typically goes in the same folder with the code. Tom "Phisherman" <noone@nobody.com> wrote in message news:be93539ccf8a6f25ibh4vt6ggmtbi024mq@4ax.com... >I was given a project folder containing several dozen files. So where > is the wor...

Unexpected error message on closing an Excel file
Suddenly I am getting the following message when I try to close a workbook: "Your formula contains an invalid external reference to a worksheet. Verify that the path, workbook, and range name or cell reference are correct, and try again" The mysterious thing is that it does not happen consistently and that, after I click OK after the above message, I can still save the file. What might be the cause of this error message and can the "invalid reference" be tracked down using one of the utility add-ins such as J. Walkenbach's PUP? If it only happens when you close ...

Change File Locations to Private Drive (not Folder)
Hi, I know that I can use "File Locations" in "Options" so that whenever I use the "Open..." command in Word, it will open to a specific folder. I'm wondering if there is a way that this can be applied not to a folder but to a specific drive on a network. Our company has a main public drive and has also assigned each of the Staff their own private drive. Is there a way to access the "main page" (for lack of a better term) of my private drive each time I use "Open..." in Word? Right now it goes to "My Computer" or ...

cant start outlook pst file to large
Hi I hope somebody may be able to help im new to outlook and now I cant start outlook message says cannot open your default email folders pst file its too large as I cannot open outlook I cannot delete old folders See if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296088 -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.html Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007: http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon "Ray" <Ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B3B824DC-3C9B-4B1B-8EF3-61...

Opening Excel Workbooks
I'm running into an issue where if I click on an Excel file through My Documents, it doesn't automatically bring it up. I get the toolbar but the actual spreadsheet doesn't appear on the screen. I have to click on the taskbar to get it to pop up. If I already have Excel active and I open a file through Excel, this doesn't happen. Any ideas? Here is a similar thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237195 Rolli -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Take a look at Tools-Options-General tab- uncheck ignore other application...

How to change font size on formula bar in Excell 2007
I don't find Tools>Options>General (as suggested in other post answers) in Excel 2007. On the Office button there is an Excel Options but it doesn't provide a method of changing font size on the office but. My font is so small I can barely see it. Office button>ExcelOptions>Popular tab>in the "When creating new workbooks" section, choose font and font size -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "jimwillie" <jimwillie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:588AAC05-0F52-404E-AA01-128E70E02D0B@microso...

Excel DNS query
Hello, Is there a way for an Excel function to query a DNS server? Thanks. Soundy Not that I know of, but you can turn on the macro recorder, use 'get external data' and tailor the resulting code into a user function of your own. E.g. I've used this to create a button to get MS-Access data from a query that has the same name as the sheet (tab) name. It saves me a lot of copy-paste actions. Bas Hartkamp <soundy@gmail.com> schreef in bericht news:1151940450.029823.127570@j8g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > > Is there a way for an Excel function ...

outputting values to a range from one formula
I wish to generate a table automatically by means of a single formula that applies an iteration on a starting given value with a given step, and the computed values are posted/entered automtically into cells from a given cell onwards, say below it, until the computed value reaches a certain given limt. This is somehow the inverse of INDIRECT or of OFFSET. These can pull values from a variable addresses of cells. What I need is to push values into a variable addresses of cells. Can anyone help me on that?? Thanks. :confused -- Shafe ---------------------------------------------------------...

Excel Problem
I have a 23.8 meg excel 2000 spreadsheet set for manual calculation saved to my local hard drive. Every time I try to open it, it takes forver and sometimes never opens but I do not get any error messages, let me just tell you that I am running a P4, 1 GB memory, Office 2K with SP3, and nothing else running when I try to open it. As I said it is set for manual calculation, and it is cleared to not auto calculate when opening or closing. Any idea's as to why this is happening? -- Todd I don't know why you're having this problem but I would like to point something out for w...

[b]Can I download Excel data to a MS Access database?[/b]
I've built an Excel 2002 form that I want our internal customers to access from our intranet, and use. Once completed, they will send it to us as an e-mail attachment. I'd like to be able to open it, and somehow download the data from the form into an MS Access 2002 database I've built (so that we don't have to rekey it into the database). Is this possible or even feasible? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks. :D --------- Message sent via www.excelforums.com Hi in Access check 'File - Import External data' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "...

opening .bak file
Hi, I hope someone can help! I recently was performing a compacting operation on my outlook express folders. My computer shutdown due to a power failure and I lost some emails from a few of my folders. I was however able to get the .bak files (of the .dbx files that were lost) out of the recycle bin. If I could open one of these .bak files or convert it back to the .dbx file from which it was created I would retrieve these emails. Can anyone instruct me as to open this .bak file? Thanks for any help! Arnie K. How did you get the bak files out of the Recycle Bin? All e...