searching for tab

Hi all, I have written a workbook with some 40 worksheets in it to be
used as a reference database. Each of the 40 worksheets has a specific
name (tab). Is there a program/formula that I can put on the very first
page so that a user can input the name of the sheet/tab they want and
that sheet will open for them. Basically to stop them having to sift
through 40 tabs to find which sheet they need.
Thanks
Kev

--
Kevin R
Kevin R's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30529

Hello Kevin,

You have some arrow buttons directly to the left of your sheet tabs.  If you
right click that you will get a little popup menu with the sheets.  Clicking
More Sheets will give you a listbox to choose from.  Your other option would
be to create a table of contents.  Here is an example of that, example file,
instructions, code and all ...

http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=120

HTH

--
Regards,
Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack)

"Kevin R" <Kevin.R.21qvsm_1137444000.6271@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:Kevin.R.21qvsm_1137444000.6271@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Hi all, I have written a workbook with some 40 worksheets in it to be
> used as a reference database. Each of the 40 worksheets has a specific
> name (tab). Is there a program/formula that I can put on the very first
> page so that a user can input the name of the sheet/tab they want and
> that sheet will open for them. Basically to stop them having to sift
> through 40 tabs to find which sheet they need.
> Thanks
> Kev
>

> --
> Kevin R
> Kevin R's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30529
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=501808

0
firefytrNO (70)
1/16/2006 8:48:16 PM
You could write macros and create macro buttons to take you to the proper
sheet.  But that is a lot of macros and buttons.

Alternately, would it work to name cell A1 on each sheet as a range with the
name of the sheet and let your people select the desired sheet that way?

"Kevin R" wrote:

> Hi all, I have written a workbook with some 40 worksheets in it to be
> used as a reference database. Each of the 40 worksheets has a specific
> name (tab). Is there a program/formula that I can put on the very first
> page so that a user can input the name of the sheet/tab they want and
> that sheet will open for them. Basically to stop them having to sift
> through 40 tabs to find which sheet they need.
> Thanks
> Kev
>

> --
> Kevin R
> Kevin R's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30529
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=501808

0
SVC (60)
1/16/2006 8:53:02 PM
You could use hyperlinks to go to any sheet.

Or you could rightclick on the VCR controls (to the left of the worksheet tabs)
to see a list of those worksheets.

Or you could use a floating toolbar:
http://contextures.com/xlToolbar01.html
from Debra Dalgleish's site.

Kevin R wrote:

> Hi all, I have written a workbook with some 40 worksheets in it to be
> used as a reference database. Each of the 40 worksheets has a specific
> name (tab). Is there a program/formula that I can put on the very first
> page so that a user can input the name of the sheet/tab they want and
> that sheet will open for them. Basically to stop them having to sift
> through 40 tabs to find which sheet they need.
> Thanks
> Kev
>
> --
> Kevin R
> Kevin R's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30529
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=501808

--

Dave Peterson
0

Search help
Hi, Tried a few functions for this but i cant get it to do what im looking for! I have 8 worksheets and Im trying to get a specific reference from A1 on sheet1. The other 7 pages has all the info in column A I want B2 to tell me the reference it found out of the text in A1, if its possible Example: sheet1 A1 = abc toy car pt no 789DIN1 on sheet2 A1= 785DIN1955 A2= 786DIN1966 A3= 789DIN1977 This is the closest reference on all of my worksheets so i want Sheet1 B2 = 789DIN1977 If it cant be done then i would like the same if Sheet1 A1= abc toy car pt no 789DIN1977 Ive tried usi...

The ribbon create tab disappeared
I am developing an Access 2007 application with linked tables to sql server. Suddenly the create tab of the ribbon is not visible any more. I want to create a form from a table using a wizard. Since the create tab is missing I have lost the tools that I need. I have tried compact and repair, no effect at all. How can I get the create tab to become visible again? Regards from Tore Hi Tore, I performed a test at my side by creating a linked table to a SQL Server table. However I could not reproduce your issue. Could you please let me know your detailed steps? What is the res...

Journal body: (Shift)Tab to (un)indent?
In many Microsoft applications, Tab and Shift-Tab increases or decreases the level of indentation. I don't suppose there is a button somewhere to enable such behaviour when type text in the body of an Outlook Journal entry? I am using Office 2003 on Windows XP. ...

how do i search for cells containing a question mark (?)
hi, i want to search for or autofilter cells containing a "?" (questio mark) someone has previosly put 1234-00-222? 1234-00-223? in a cells where the question mark represents that he is not sure at the time o input about the number now i need to filter all the cells that contain a ? so that i ca amend or confirm those numbers. however when i do a FIND (ctrl F) for ? or a autofilter for cell containing ? it doesnt find or filter anything. i also tried searching for "?" but doesn work. does anyone have a solution. thanks : -- Message posted from http://www.Exc...

Add a search button to pull text with in a spreadsheet like this forums search button
I want to know how to add a search button to microsoft excel similar t this forums that pull up specific text. This is for a big busines project -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com This works for me when associated with a button. Dim wks As Worksheet Dim rng As Range Dim strAddress As String, strFind As String strFind = InputBox("Please enter search reference:") For Each wks In Worksheets Set rng = wks.Cells.Find(strFind, lookat:=xlWhole LookIn:=xlFormulas) If Not rng Is Nothing Then strAddress = rng.Address Do Application.Goto rng, True If MsgBox("Continue S...

Outlook 2003 -- Search folder for messages to which I have replied
Here's the deal. I reply to messages on my Blackberry. Then, for a complex set of reasons, I can't just delete them, so I have to deal with them again in Outlook 2003. What I am trying to setup is a Search folder that would contain only messages to which I have replied. Don't care who I replied to. I tried Advanced Criteria and settings: "Have replies sent to" is not empty. Weird results -- then I figured out that this is likely that the original message has a different reply-to address. So, I need a filter or search folder. Help! Thanks, Tom ...

Dynamic Worksheet Tab Naming
I would like to have the name tab of a worksheet change to the entry in a cell. I have multiple sheets that all reference a master sheet. The master sheet is the place where the user sets up the information for the other sheets. There are cells in the master setup sheet, where the user enters the names of individual pieces of equipment. Each worksheet contains data pertaining to one piece of equipment. I found some VB code on Excel Tips and Tricks that works, but it only renames the active sheet from a cell within it's own sheet. Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel....

How to Add New Tab to CRM 3.0
I am new to CRM. Can anyone tell me the steps to add New Tab and further adding the Links for Forms. Thanks Labhesh Shrimali Bangalore - India Hi Labhesh; Do you have access to any of the CRM 3.0 documentation or manuals? If you are new, it will be helpful to use the CRM manuals to walk you through how to do this. If I understand your question correctly, you would like to add a Tab to an existing form and then add fields to the new tab. This is done using the Customization capabilities of CRM. First, I would recommend you take a look at these customization planning tools from Micros...

Controls tab missing from "Format Controls" for Option Button
Excel 2007 under Vista I am trying to set the "Cell Link" of a group of Option Buttons, but when I right-mouse | Format Controls on the option button the "Controls" tab is missing. When I insert the control, I have the option to use Forms or ActiveX type controls, but in either case the following is inserted "=EMBED("Forms.OptionButton.1","")" It looks like Forms type controls are added in regardless of whether I select the Forms or ActiveX type. Any clues? > When I insert the control, I have the option to use Forms or ActiveX typ...

Upgrade WSS 3 to Search Server Express
Hi together, we have big problems with upgrading WSS 3 on 2008 RC to Search Server Express 2008. Installation and Upgrade works fine first, but in the configuration assistent an error occured. In the configuration step number 8 comes an exception, we do not understand. Hier so lines from the log: =========================== The B2B upgrader timer job failed. 03/10/2010 16:34:19 7 INF Entering function StringResourceManager.GetResourceString 03/10/2010 16:34:19 7 INF Resource id to be retrieved is UpgradeTaskFailConfigSyncDisplayLab...

Memo field in cross tab query
Am using Access 2007. I'm linking to a "View" in SQL Server 2005. I want to create a crosstab query based on that view, however some of the fields in the view table are Memo and will not show up as options in the cross tab query wizard. Is there a work around for this? Thanks! Your help is very much appreciated! You could use a select query that has calculated field to pull the left 255 character of the memo field. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "Anne721" wrote: > Am using Access 2007. I'm linking to a "View" in SQL Server 20...

In search of fonts...
I'm trying out my little localization app, but I'm now in search of fonts. I need Unicode-compliant fonts for any or all of the following languages (note: I will not be able to tell what they say, but if I get something other than the block meaning "I see no character here" I'll have some evidence my code is probably working). I've not previously worried about any of these languages, so it might well be that someone will say "this is on disk nnnn of the MSDN" (I don't get the international MSDN, by the way), but pointers to downloadable fonts would also ...

search multiple pst files
Is there a way to search more than one pst file at at a time, i.e. if you have more than one open at the time? Not directly, there are some 3rd party tools that allow that such as 80-20 Retriever, but nothing built into Outlook. -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm "JMC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%23pJWax2MEHA.2716@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Is there ...

Search google from inside Excel?
Years ago, I had a handy little gizmo that allowed me to search Excel VBA groups from within Excel. So, if I had a programming query I could find the answers straight away without firing up a browser. Actually, I think the point was that the gizmo fired up the broswer for me and pointed it at the right groups. Any idea if this is still around? Maybe it was this? http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:48163754$0$26089$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk... > Years ago, I had a handy little gizmo...

Searching the pst
Is there anyway I can search for the mails based on the date and time field. One approach,of course is to get the date field of the mail and compare it with the required date where in we iterate over the entire list of mails.However I want avoid this overhead. Is there any way out???? Thanx. B <manojnab84@gmail.com> wrote: > Is there anyway I can search for the mails based on the date and time > field. Perhaps Google Desktop Search (http://desktop.google.com/about.html) or Lookout (http://www.lookoutsoft.com/Lookout/download.html) would be of help here. -- Brian Tillman...

Public Folder Search
We are running outlook 2003 connecting to Exchange 2003. We are look at a way to search public folder information. Is there a way to search public folders within outlook without having to purchase a 3rd party tool like lookout. Thanks - Mike Mike <mlehman@osc.uscg.mil> wrote: > We are running outlook 2003 connecting to Exchange 2003. We are look > at a way to search public folder information. Is there a way to > search public folders within outlook without having to purchase a 3rd > party tool like lookout. Since Lookout is free, I don't know why you'd ...

Hyperlink Function to Tab
I'm trying to create a hyperlink using the hyperlink function that will go to a separate tab within the same worksheet. What I'm using is: =HYPERLINK("'Tab1'!A1","Cell1") , but it is telling me it cannot open the specified file. Can anyone help? Try it like this: =3DHYPERLINK("#'Tab1'!A1","Cell1") Note the apostrophe is after the # - this basically means "the current file". Hope this helps. Pete On Dec 23, 3:56=A0pm, Matt <mlthorn...@gmail.com> wrote: > I'm trying to create a h...

Searching email headers
Does anyone have a VBA script or trick to searching the headers of email messages? I think it would be a good way to try to determine the identity of some of these anonymous viruses that have been floating around. If you could search all of your stored mail for a particular IP address, you may be able to trace it to a legitimate sender ID. Thanks, Dan Post ot a programming group for a better answer. However, since the vast majority of the headers are spoofed, you will most likely end up chasing your tail. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep t...

Please remove limitation of 8 tabs on forms
It should be possible to have as many tabs as you want on a form. 8 tabs is not much and I cannot see a reason for this limitation. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.m...

FYI: Tab Settings Default back to Original Settings Workaround
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;891825 As Mary pointed out earlier in a thread, the above link offers a work around to the tab issue for losing their settings after closing a publication. This is primarily an issue with Publisher 2000 publications being opened in Publisher 2002/03. The work arounds are essentially a way to finess the older pub file to become the new file type which will retain the tab settings. We are looking at the history of this so that I can see if we can get this fixed in a service pack. But I hope the above link helps future users and of ...

Search calculated fields in smartlist builder
I created a smartlist in smartlist builder that pulls information from different tables based on the type of transaction it is (All multi-bin related). When I try and search by this calculated field in the smartlist screen, I chose an entry that I knew existed, yet nothing was returned. Is it possible to search by a calculated field? Is there something I need to do so this will work? Thanks, KJ ...

record search with combo box.
I have three combo boxes on a form. In order, each allow my to pick data that narrows the search and options in the next. Based on the options picked in each, data is returned in a subform. Is it possible on the third combo box to search on the results. Example; combo box results may list "HP Deskjet 820/830C/832C/850C/855/870/880/882/890/895 Series" in the drop down, but I would like to type in 820 and have the results display in the subform. Thanks Martin Green has some excellent stuff on combo box search functions at www.fontstuff.com or I'm sure allen browne ...

FIX: Outlook 2007 Instant Search Broken / Indexer Not Indexing Mail Items
Well, it cost me a support incident at MSFT so hopefully what I learned will help others. I am running Outlook 2007 as part of Office 2007 Ultimate on Windows XP SP2. There have been numerours threads around with people complaining that searching in instant search in Outlook 2007 or through Windows Desktop Search 3.0 doesn't return any results. Some have said that PST files work fine but results from Exchange mailboxes were missing. The solution on my machine turned out to be related to the fact that the Exchange 2003 system management tools were installed on my machine.There was a prob...

How to inform a user by search result?
Greeting, I have a form for showing the result of search. In this form there is a subform for showing the result. What I want to do is once the user put the criteria and click the button for opening the form of the result, a message or label appears in the form result telling the user there is no data found if there is no data. How can I do that? On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:10:01 -0800, ghost <ghost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: You could check the RecordCount of the RecordsetClone of the subform: if Me.yoursubformcontrolname.Form.RecordsetClone.RecordCount = 0 then Msgbox "...

OL98 rules
Hi folks - I'm sure this will be a breeze for someone.... Outlook 98 Rules wizard - want to setup a "if any of these words appear in the subject, move it here" rule. How do I seperate / specify the different words ? ie the rule works finding "doctor" (no quotes), but how do I specify move if you find "doctor" OR "nurse" OR "hospital" ? I've tried ; & , as seperators, to no avail.... help ? - Thanks in advance OL98-newbie-needs-rules-help <OL98newbieneedsruleshelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Outlook 98 Rule...