Search Preferences Don't Save When Changed

I've been experiencing some annoying behavior in Excel.
Everytime I open the search/replace dialog, the Options
panel is hidden and "Match entire cell contents" is
selected.  I know it's not a default, but everytime I
uncheck it, Excel doesn't save that change for the next
time I run Excel.

What can I do so that whatever I change is set to default
the next time I run the app?
0
rrosenfe (1)

Maybe you could have a dummy workbook that you put in your XLStart folder that
does a Find with the settings you like:

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()

    Worksheets("sheet1").Cells.Find What:="", After:=ActiveCell, _
            LookIn:=xlValues, _
            LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
            SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False

    ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False

End Sub

The workbook opens, does a find (to fix your settings) and then closes to get
out of the way.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Good suggestion, but I'd rather fix the root cause.  Why
isn't it saving the last used setting anymore?
0
anonymous (74722)
1/27/2004 6:41:29 PM
I don't think it ever did--at least that's the way I remember it.

pdf changes to dat files when sending
Have changed from Outlook Express to Outlook and having problems with MYOB (accounting program). We send our invoices through MYOB (it does all the work - configures everything and then send it as an attachment) and it sends them in a .pdf format through the default email. Some people are getting .pdf files and others are having .dat files coming to them. Not sure why the .dat files are going (all should be .pdf) and how do I fix it so all are .pdf files ... any help .. I am desperate! Don't use rich text format for your message settings- try plain text or HTML. Shelley wrote: > Ha...

After computer time Change, can not connect to exchange
Running windows 7 , with outlook 2007. Had a computer time problem so I back dated the computer, since then, I can not access my exchange server, Now if I roll the time back again, I can connect but if I go to fix the date, I contact not access exchange. So is Outlook/Exchange casheing the date and time somewhere? Any suggestions would be great! thanks The time of the connecting client should indeed (closely) match with the one of the Exchange server. Which issue were you trying to fix by "backdating" your computer? Did you set the time/date into the past or did y...

Track Changes: Making "All" the default
hello: We are tracking changes on a workbook posted on Sharepoint. Everytime i check out the doc and view it, i must change the Track Changes default from "last time I saved" to "All". How do I make "All" the default so that users do not have to open Track Changes and make this selection (from the "When" pulldown.)?? Much appreciated, Bettergains ...

How to change order of drop lines relative to the plotted data in Excel 2007 chart
What is the procedure for changing the order of drop lines relative to the plotted data in an Excel 2007 chart? I would like the chart;s drop lines to remain active, but appear "sent to the back" behind the plotted data. I attempted to help myself by searching extensively, but I was unable to find the solution. I think it may require a VBA entry, but, if so, I will require assistance. Are the references below pointing me in the right direction? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb210119.aspx http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb216878.aspx http://m...

Automatic Save
I know there isn't an automatic save that saves your document for Excel, but there is a Macro for Word that will ask you if you want to save your work every few minutes or just save it automatically. Does anyone know if there is something like that for Excel? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Shane Which version of Excel are you using -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I am using Excel 2002 >-----Original Message----- >Which version of Excel are you using? > > >--- >Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > >. > Shane ...

When saving a worksheet in excel message "document not saved"
When saving a worksheet that I use every day and changing data everyday today I am getting a message saying "document not saved" and it will not save the new information either through the icon or File Save as. Any suggestions what is going wrong. Can you save it as a new name in the same folder? If no, can you save it as a new name in a different folder? Bailey wrote: > > When saving a worksheet that I use every day and changing data everyday today > I am getting a message saying "document not saved" and it will not save the > new information either th...

Save as publisher 2000
I am using Picture it! Publisher 2001 and I would like to save it for the 2000 version, but when I do a save as, I do not have that choice available. The only choice I get it publisher document. How do I save a file as for the 2000 version? I think you're getting your programs confused. Picture It! is not the same as Publisher. Picture It! has it's own format and I'm not sure if it's backwards compatible. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "MK" <systemsgo@comcast.net> wrote in message news:O6uYYI6jEHA.1996@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >I am usin...

How do you change colour of scroll bars, etc?
I am familiar with how to change the colours of most items on a form in Access 2000 but I have hit a problem with the component parts of certain controls, e.g. scroll bars or the drop-down button of a combo box. So far, I have not located any way to change these from the default warm gray colour. Is there any way to change such colours? David David Anderson wrote: > I am familiar with how to change the colours of most items on a form > in Access 2000 but I have hit a problem with the component parts of > certain controls, e.g. scroll bars or the drop-down button of a combo > ...

How do I graph a cell vs one that it changes for a range of valu.
One cell changes another cell as determined by a formula not explicitly contained in either cell. I want to range a cell from 0.5-1 in small increments and line-plot it vs the other. How do I express a range of values and the steps of increments? Hi Kentlm, > One cell changes another cell as determined by a formula not explicitly > contained in either cell. > I want to range a cell from 0.5-1 in small increments and line-plot it vs > the other. > How do I express a range of values and the steps of increments? It sounds like you want a Data Table. Look in Excel's Help ...

Trial Version Download Problem
Just out of curiosity... How many people have done as I have, and changed your original e-mail address for the passport login since you created the account, and are also having issues with the online purchase reverting to the trial version? There is a problem with the trial servers see http://moneycentral.msn.com/common/networkstatus.asp -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "John Begley" <John Begley@discus...

Changing a formula in xlt
I posted in another group but I don't think they understand what I am saying. Maybe you can assist me. I am using a template that is in xlt and in the shaded column I need the formula in L20 that is =if(D20<>"",D0*K20,"") I get an error stating that the shaded area is pre formatted by excel. How can I get my formula into the place where I need it? When I try to open the template to see the formulas it wants a password and I have never had a password. Question 2. How do you make your own template? I need one for a convention that has discounts deducted as wel...

Problem with saving
Hi My wife has excel 2003 and she at times closes the program and the file she is working on will close without saving the changes. My machine always asks me if I want to save the changes made. I can not find out how to enable this, please help. My auto save is also not working any ideas. Thank you. PS Its an ongoing workbook that we add to every day. But if you accidentally close it all today's entries are lost. Hi AFAIK Excel will always ask for saving. There's no option to disable this behaviour unless you use some event procedures within your workbook. -- Regards Frank...

Save and retrieve listbox selections
I have a form with several listboxes each allowing multi-select. The form allows all of these selections to be saved under a name (to a special table) and also retrieved from the table. This seems to work but the problem is that when they retrieve the settings and I update the various '.selected' values, the listboxes dont show the selections. I tried doing repaint, refresh and requery but nothing works. What do I have to do to get them to show up? Here is my code to reload one listbox: Public Sub IncCat(strName As String) Dim i As Integer With Me!lstIncCats For i = 0...

Preferences Bug in Word:mac 2004?
Hello, in my Word:mac 2004 Preferences i have deactivated the "horizontal Scrollbar", but after a few restarts of Word this Scrollbar is activated again... Is this a bug or my fault? I don't need the "horizontal Scrollbar" on the bottom of my Word Window. Regards RETRAX -- eHome: www.retrax.de eMail: retrax@t-online.de iChat: iRETRAX (AIM) ...

Change a personal account to business account
can't someone advice how to change a personal bank account to business account? hi kura- I can assume your Money flavor is Home & Business? Go to your Account List window. On the left hand navigation menu select "Organize business accounts and categories". This page presents you with your business account tree. From this page you can add or remove your business accounts. Hope this helped. "kura" wrote: > can't someone advice how to change a personal bank account to business account? ...

Excel 2007 incredibly slow on saving
Hi, I am just trying Excel 2007 for the first time. Saving a file (in compatibility mode) takes around 15 minutes! Savng the same file (about 12Mb) takes 5 seconds in Excel 2003. Clearly I have turned off autosave as this prevented me from working altogether (it takes longer to save than the 10 minute interval between saves). This just can't be right! Any ideas what could cause this? I am using a fast PC (quad-core Xeon 2.3 GHz) with 4Gb RAM. There is plenty of disk space and it is not cluttered or fragmented. Saves are to the local hard disk and there are no links over network co...

Vendor name change back
Hi In the beginning of the year, I changed all active employee vendors to have their vendor names with “Last Name, First Name”. This helps me in further processing. Today, I searched in Smartlist for a list of employee vendor postings that are missing commas again and vendor names are back to Firstname Lastname. I have PDK configured too. Can anyone help me understand why the vendors change back to the Firstname Lastname and what should be done to stop this? Thanks Keep a ruler handy to slap the hand of the user that is making the changes comes to mind. -- Richard L. Whaley Author ...

Outlook font sizes Arbitrarily changing!
While creating a reply e-mail this morning suddenly and without prompting by me the cursor size increased significantly and the type changed to the size of the cursor. Comparable to a font size of 72 or greater. The font and the font size on the tool bar remained the same size as originally selected. i.e. Times Roman, 13. Changing these settings did not correct the problem.. Then later I experienced the opposite effect when I opened a sent message and the type was teeny tiny like a font size of 1 or less. When I sent the e-mail the font was Comic Sans, 13. Please help! Thanks in ad...

daylight savings time not adjusted in exchange 5.5
I am having a peculiar problem. Ever since daylight savings time, the time in emails is off by an hour. I check the time on the windows 2000 server that exchange is hosted on and all seems fine but in the emails that I get they are an hour early, as if daylight savings time never was adjusted. How can I fix this? Is your server configured to use Daylight Savings Time? I suspect it is based on your message. Now for the kicker - some versions of Windows have a bug in them that they don't adjust for DST properly if you are in the Pacific Time Zone. To work around this, select a diffe...

Search Item Number by Description
Hi all, Are there anyway we can make part search screen wider to show all the description of a part. Right now the description only show partically, it make search part by description become very difficulty. Thank you! Lucy Lucy, Have you tried Modifier? -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com "Sunstream" wrote: > > Hi all, > > Are there anyway we can make part search screen wider to show all the > description of a part. Right now the description only show partically, it > make search pa...

How to change a formula reference?
I need to create a formula that references a range of cells. The range is supposed to be determined by what the user enters into another cell. Can a formula have a variable in it that will grab a number from another cell? For instance: =COUNTIF(N[B18]:N[B18+B18],"Y")? Where you see B18 the user has entered in a number, we will say it was 5. I need the function to reference the cells in the N column from N5 (cell B18 has a 5 in it) to N10 (B18+B18 or 5+5). I appreciate any help you all can give me. Thanks so much in advance. Brockettb Hi! Assume you enter in cells: A1 = 5...

Change category width...
Hi all, Is it possible, on the X axis of the column chart, to make the category width thinner? I want to be able to put the columns next to each other without a gap, but I don't want to make the columns wider than they are (ie I don't want to use gap width). Many thanks Andy On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, ajayb <ajayb@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >Is it possible, on the X axis of the column chart, to make the category >width thinner? I want to be able to put the columns next to each other >without a gap, but I don't want to make ...

how to save an ACCESS database and not link changes to the origina
I want to save an ACCESS database under a new name and not have the changes I make change the original database I saved from. How can I do this? Everytime I make changes in the ACCESS database I saved and renamed, it still changes the original database as well. Ray, Sounds like you are talking about changes to the data. Sounds like you have *linked tables*. If that is the case then you need to make a copy of the back-end and relink your new front end to your new back end. -- Gina Whipp 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access) "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know,...

Unable to save to Windows NT Server
Hi all, Usually we save a copy of an office file to NT server share folder, it works OK. But recently we have a message "There has been a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost". (File name path). = 200932. I have been search for it but nothing worked. I can copy and paste any file to that share folder, but to save it directly, still desperation. Please advise how to fix it. See the following Knowledge Base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291156 -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to a...

.msg emails saved in OL2000 are blank in OL2003
I have Outlook messages that were saved into .msg format using Outlook 2000 and am trying to open them in Outlook 2003. I am able to open them, see the subject the sender and the recipient, however the body of the message is blank. If I copy the message (from Windows Explorer) and paste it into a new message within Outlook 2003 and then click on the attachment, I can see the body. If I take it 1 step further and save the message attachment from within the new message to Windows Explorer, I can open that one with no problem. There must be some setting or change that I must make ...